PDA

View Full Version : Hanging on the JMT

lvnv1212
02-01-2012, 10:36
I have read some previous threads that speculated it could be done, but was looking for an update - perhaps someone who actually did the hike with a hammock, and how it turned out...i.e. would you do it again?

olzeke
02-01-2012, 11:11
I did a portion of the trail last Summer, and found that it was very possible to hang, with the exception of a couple of alpine areas. Depending on what your daily mileage ends up being, the camps above treeline completely will be few.

I should mention that I use a dbl layer hammock with a pad between, so that if I need to go to ground I at least have a pad under me.

RichardD
02-06-2012, 00:05
I hiked the JMT with hammock in the Summer of 2010. It worked really well, I set up on the ground one night when I was above treeline otherwise I found hammock spots very prolific.
The weather turned very cold on us and I found my JRB Nest and 20 deg down bag quite insufficient. I now have a JRB Mt Washinton 4 underquilt and the same WM bag and with a down jacket I think I would have been warm enough. Hike was from Mid August to first week of September.
Rangers in the Yosemite backpacking camps at Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne Meadows dont like hammocks, they gave me a hard time but did not ban me from hamocking.

olzeke
02-06-2012, 00:15
Oddly enough, we had Rangers come by our hammocks in TM bper site and ask questions about our set up. No hassle, no negativity at all.

RedBeardHanger
02-06-2012, 00:18
I’ve never heard of JMT… What and where is it?

Catavarie
02-06-2012, 00:42
JMT = John Muir Trail (http://johnmuirtrail.org/)

RedBeardHanger
02-06-2012, 00:48
JMT = John Muir Trail (http://johnmuirtrail.org/)

Thank you! I’m still learning all these terms…
So it’s part of the PCT?

Catavarie
02-06-2012, 00:54
I believe it is, someone on the left coast could likely tell you for certain.

Pipsissewa
02-06-2012, 07:22
So it’s part of the PCT?

Yes! It's a beautiful section of the PCT, on the east side of Yosemite and King's Canyon NPs, if memory serves.

olzeke
02-06-2012, 23:24
JMT runs from Mt Whitney in the South, to Yosemite Valley in the north. Hikers are either NB or SB, as in North Bound or South Bound. 212 miles, not including the summit of Whitney which is off the JMT, but the trail uses the pass just below the summit on its way to Whitney Portal. Last Aug, I started from Yosemite and hiked to Duck Lake before having to leave the plan. This Aug, we are going back to do North Lake to South Lake, around Bishop, Ca. We may go back another year to do more of the southern end, but no plans as of yet. The future holds many trails, and only so many days.

trip report here (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/lambertiana/Kings%2520Canyon%25202008/KingsCanyon20081059.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/576979-Trip-Report-North-Lake-South-Lake-Loop-Kings-Canyon-NP&usg=__iADdQ-Rf4jh3S5sEebfhqfPKMQE=&h=768&w=1024&sz=115&hl=en&start=9&sig2=9uE81UsnHSWlsxsNKrQ9qA&zoom=1&tbnid=jVVFtCnD9AoUKM:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&ei=t6cwT87aNOqa2gXzrvjYBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dnorth%2Blake%2Bto%2Bsouth%2Blake%2Blo op%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1) report not mine, but lots of good pics.

enyapjr
02-10-2012, 16:18
The JMT was built long before the PCT was completed; the PCT shares much of the JMT tread from Crabtree Meadows to Tuolumne Meadows, except the stretch between just N of Devils Postpile to Thousand Island Lake... The JMT designated southern terminus is the Mt. Whitney summit, the northern terminus is Happy Isles in Yosemite Valley...

With a little planning, plus knowing that hanging might dictate your daily trail miles - one can hammock every night... But some above treeline locations 'call out' to be able to see the sunset (or sunrise) - thus being able to also go to ground gives the best of both sleeping modes for traveling the 'High Sierra'...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)

Desert_Hanger
03-27-2012, 15:18
I completed the JMT last summer. I was hiking with 3 ground dwellers and was told beforehand that camp would NOT be made based on trees so that I could hang but strategically on mileage and what was in store for the next day. *Often we hiked halfway up a pass and camped above 10,000 ft to reduce a big pass climb the next day. I was able to hang every single night (16) except for one, of course Guitar Lake at 11,500 which I knew. 2 nights I had to get a bit creative, including my best hang job at Sapphire Lake. Those of you that have hiked here are probably thinking "no way" but on the southwest side of the lake about 300 feet up from the lakeshore there were a couple trees that I was able to make work, not the most ideal and I was off the side of a cliff, but made securities that if the tree snapped I wouldn't go tumbling down the side of the mountain. *It did provide me with an unbelievable view to fall asleep to and if I were to go back, I wouldn't change a thing.

Here's a video of that hang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdZX-hWLMyE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I used a 2/3rd UQ to keep weight low combined with a 3/8" CC foam pad for extra insulation and the nights I would have to ground it (honestly thought it would be more like 4-5 nights)

So to answer your question, absolutely you can hang and I highly recommend it. *With a bit of creativity you can hang at 10,500+ so you won't always have to adjust your mileage based on hanging options. I was the only one on the trail hanging that I saw and several others that we camped a night test it out for a after hike nap and said they wish they had a hammock instead of ground dwelling.

Good luck and have a blast!

lvnv1212
03-29-2012, 12:48
Awesome video! I'm still undecided. I have 2 full set-ups, one to hang and one to ground. I'm almost thinking...for 16.5 oz (my tent) I could bring both lol.

Wait a min...maybe...

Chop
05-12-2014, 05:27
Just caught this thread. Awesome hang in that video DH. Can't wait to get back on that trail in July.

mountain_man_mike
05-12-2014, 14:22
Some parents and youth leaders in our local BSA troop did a section hike of the JMT starting in 2007, finishing in 2009. Like others mentioned, all but the very high elevations are conducive to hammocks. It was a really cool project for the boys to work on and we had guests from back east join us too. The scenery takes your breath away, but then again so do the passes.

agent00111
06-10-2014, 11:20
I'll be doing a section hike on the JMT starting on June 19 this year, from Reds Meadow to Happy Trails. I'm going to try to hammock each night, most of that leg is under 10k so I think I should be fine. I may replace my pack foam pad with 4oz of gossamer gear thinlight insulation pad as a backup for go-to-ground. Going with some other folks who will be using tents, so there may be a night or two where I'm camping in a separate location from them.

southmark
06-10-2014, 20:08
I will be doing the JMT in August with a couple of other hangers. We anticipate no problems.

Apeman1470
06-10-2014, 20:51
Awesome hang in the video! Kudos!

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 22:42
Thank you! I’m still learning all these terms…
So it’s part of the PCT?

Go here http://www.traildino.com/trace/continents-North_America/countries-United_States#Map and click on 1 of 4 pics to see a FANTASTIC map of major american trails.

You'll probably even find out there are tons near you that you had no idea existed.

I love this map for trail listings. AND you can clearly see where they intersect in california, for example.

fantastic map for those learning.

josh hikes
06-16-2014, 16:00
I am planning on doing the entire JMT in July 2014 with a hammock, tarp, pad hang/ground setup. Any ideas on what type of stakes are best out here. How feasible is it to just use rocks in place of stakes.

Also thinking of bringing some homemade or purpose built climbers nuts for rock suspensions when necessary. Any experience here would be helpful. Thanks.

southmark
06-16-2014, 16:55
[QUOTE=So it’s part of the PCT?[/QUOTE]

Actually it might be more accurate to say that the PCT uses part of the JMT. The JMT was completed first. The PCT connects to the JMT at Tuolumne Meadows 20 something miles into the JMT.

lori
06-18-2014, 13:28
I'll be doing a section hike on the JMT starting on June 19 this year, from Reds Meadow to Happy Trails.

I had to do several double takes before realizing you mean Happy Isles - no such trailhead or location as Happy Trails. :)

You're going to be pretty miserable on the ground with a thinlight. Nights are frequently below freezing - that's not enough insulation to keep you warm. I have a thinlite - I've never used it but once on the ground, and never, ever again.

Be careful with trees above 9000 feet - they are springy and will plant you butt to ground if the wind comes up. I had a not so nice wake up on the other side of Donahue Pass.

Tucson Tom
07-04-2014, 15:30
Last year I did three week long backpacks in the High Sierra, found myself often on parts of the JMT, in fact my last hike was a section entering at Kearsarge Pass and exiting over Mount Whitney. I found it ideal for hammock camping. A good guideline is that treeline is about 11,000 feet, but there are a few long sections where you would find yourself above timberline. I think with some intelligent planning and effort you would never find yourself unable to use a hammock, but it all depends on your IQ :) On one trip I knew I was going to be on the ground above timberline for two nights and packed a ridgerest pad to cover my bets for those nights. I am just getting ready to post some photos.

Oms
01-01-2015, 11:27
This is on my to-do-list. Would like to take a month off of work and do the whole thing. We shall see ;)

Oms
01-01-2015, 11:27
Where do you get the best info for the trail?

corrumpu
01-05-2015, 13:36
Google and there are several books on the JMT (history of, planning etc)
I am planning to do the JMT this year and hope to hang every night ( understanding that i will have to hike high, sleep low)

Ron S
01-16-2016, 15:27
How long would your tree straps have to be? I read on a previous thread concerning this they would have to be at least 15'. It would be a real drag to get all the way out there from Kansas and come up short.

Bob Mac
01-25-2016, 09:36
I hiked the JMT a few years ago with my hammock. I didn't have any problems finding a place to hang BUT, you could run into an area that is tough to find trees. you really have to pay attention where you are so your not caught above tree line.