PDA

View Full Version : Weekend plans 6/6/08?

NCPatrick
06-06-2008, 08:01
Anyone have weekend plans? I know that Ed Speer is having the SEHHA hangout at Hot Springs, NC.

I'm headed out this afternoon with some neighbors and my oldest daughter to go to South Mountains State Park (http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/somo/main.php), NC. It's 2 hours away, it's the most rugged of the state parks and it's also the biggest (which surprised me). Half of it is still undeveloped. We'll do some family camping, hiking and some backcountry camping.

What are your plans?

Ramblinrev
06-06-2008, 08:03
This weekend is a tribute hike for a guy from another board. He died around Christmas of last year. The plan is to do one of his favorite trails, The Black Forest Trail. The plan is to do the 42 miles as a day hike. hehehehe I won't be hiking it, but I'll be hanging there.

nogods
06-06-2008, 08:43
This is a "stay inside" weekend for me. I lived in New Orleans for 2 years in the mid-1970's. Loved the people, hated the jungle weather. Looks like everything east of the Mississippi is going to be having NOLA weather this weekend.

Good introduction for my daughter though, because she is moving to NOLA this fall and heading down there this weekend for a training seminar. I told her to rent an apartment with some trees on the property so I can come down and "hang around" for Mardi Gras.

bigcranky
06-06-2008, 08:53
Got a kid graduating from high school. Lots of family will be in town, and I am feeding them. I may set up my hammock in the woods as an escape pod of sorts. Leave a cooler of beer underneath.

Narwhalin
06-06-2008, 09:08
I will be going to a nearby lake to test gear! Yea!! Included in the test are all my DIY gear (hammock, tarps, and bugnet) and the ATHH that some of us are trying out. I am really excited, as this will be my first overnight hang!

Thanks for asking...

lori
06-06-2008, 09:09
Going to dayhike to try out a new Gossamer Gear backpack. My last gear purchase for at least a year... better be good. I may or may not do the four mile trail from Glacier Point to the valley floor. Depends on how many hundreds of people are on it.

NCPatrick
06-06-2008, 09:14
Got a kid graduating from high school. Lots of family will be in town, and I am feeding them. I may set up my hammock in the woods as an escape pod of sorts. Leave a cooler of beer underneath.

Man, that beer sounds great. Congrats to your Grad!

ringtail-THFKAfood
06-06-2008, 09:25
I will be hiking a short solo loop in Lost Creek Wilderness. I have never been satisfied with my route choice on a certain bushwhack and will be trying alternate routes.:confused:

NCPatrick
06-06-2008, 09:31
I'm assuming that:

Black Forest Trail is in PA
Cooler of Beer is in NC :p
Nearby lake is in KS
Glacier Point is in CA
Lost Creek Wilderness is in CO

Ramblinrev
06-06-2008, 09:35
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/FORESTRY/hiking/black.aspx

Narwhalin
06-06-2008, 09:55
I'm assuming that:

Black Forest Trail is in PA
Cooler of Beer is in NC :p
Nearby lake is in KS
Glacier Point is in CA
Lost Creek Wilderness is in CO

No, I am going to a lake in Cali! :p I wish...

Cheney Lake:

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS239US239&q=cheney%20lake%20cheney%20ks&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

NCPatrick
06-06-2008, 10:01
Thanks for the links. It really puts things in perspective. Fun to see the scenery in different parts of the world.

JayS
06-06-2008, 12:10
We're going to a family wedding in Charlottesville, VA. Will stay tonight with a SIL/BIL in northern Virginia about 10 miles from Gathland State Park in Maryland where the MAHHA hang takes place. My son and I have chosen to take hammocks instead of staying in the basement tonight. Grew up around Atlanta so I don't think the heat and humidity will kill me. May convince the wife to take a detour tomorrow to see Gathland SP area.

Have a good weekend everybody. ;)

QChan
06-06-2008, 13:33
I'm planning on hiking a nearby mountain to get a line of skiing in with a friend.(although it might end up raining on us, which is not fun)

dufus934
06-06-2008, 14:55
might go out to some woods (more than likely the back yard at my new house) and "hang out" one night. Other than that, I'm working on a backpack that will be able to hold some of my DSLR supplies. Might try to make some headway on that.

rigidpsycho
06-06-2008, 16:18
Gear testing(ATHH) in the backyard is about all that is going on for me this weekend, need to get a cooloer of beer for under the hammock.

headchange4u
06-07-2008, 11:40
Looks like I will be heading to the family farm tonight to test the ATHH. :)

fin
06-07-2008, 22:59
Funeral for my Uncle's mother today. :( Bailing out my basement and garage tomorrow. :eek:

NCPatrick
06-08-2008, 21:03
Sorry 'bout your family's loss, FF.

Just got back this afternoon. Here are my trip pics of South Mountains State Park (http://picasaweb.google.com/brownpatri/SouthMountainsStateParkJune2008). My daughter, her friend, and her friend's Dad also went. We had a good time. It was hot, so we spent Saturday afternoon sitting in the creek and catching crawdads. It was a pretty place, and I think I'll head back asap. Will be prettier in a few weeks, with the number of rhododendrons they had there...

fin
06-08-2008, 21:22
Thanks, NC.

Cool shots, but who's the ground dweller? :eek::rolleyes: Looks nice down there.

Up here in Wisconsin we've been flooding all weekend. I've spent the entire weekend watching my basement sump pump to make sure it doesn't burn out. Almost didn't get back from the funeral up in Plymouth because of the flooding back here and in Milwaukee - I had to detour a long way out of my way just to get home and find out I had to pump out my garage. I've been pumping my garage/tool barn for two straight days. It's the lowest spot in my yard, and it fills up with water every time we get more than 2 inches of rain in a day. :eek: Which thankfully, isn't very often (four times in 10 years, but two of them this year.) We've had over 6 inches of rain and gusts up to 70 mph since saturday afternoon. :eek: We're floating up here, with trees and branches snapping everywhere. :eek: I might have to start gathering animals two by two! :D

NCPatrick
06-08-2008, 21:34
You're welcome to send us some of that rain... maybe not all at once though. I'm trying to catch up on the news that happened while I was out. Good luck!

slowhike
06-08-2008, 21:59
Thanks, NC.

Cool shots, but who's the ground dweller? :eek::rolleyes: Looks nice down there.

Up here in Wisconsin we've been flooding all weekend. I've spent the entire weekend watching my basement sump pump to make sure it doesn't burn out. Almost didn't get back from the funeral up in Plymouth because of the flooding back here and in Milwaukee - I had to detour a long way out of my way just to get home and find out I had to pump out my garage. I've been pumping my garage/tool barn for two straight days. It's the lowest spot in my yard, and it fills up with water every time we get more than 2 inches of rain in a day. :eek: Which thankfully, isn't very often (four times in 10 years, but two of them this year.) We've had over 6 inches of rain and gusts up to 70 mph since saturday afternoon. :eek: We're floating up here, with trees and branches snapping everywhere. :eek: I might have to start gathering animals two by two! :D

Sorry to hear about your hard times FishinFinn. I hope things will smooth out soon.

QChan
06-08-2008, 23:45
It looks like you guys had alot of fun.

Hope the flooding subsides!

fin
06-09-2008, 07:07
Turns out we've had up to 11 inches in less than 48 hours! :eek: And rain possibilities still for the next two days. :eek::confused::eek: Seriously, I should just open up a pool in my tool barn. At least the floor is getting a good cleaning. :D:eek::rolleyes: My strawberries are the size of small peaches, but they have the consistency of watermelon and no taste at all. And I sink up to my knees when I try to pick them. :D:eek:

headchange4u
06-09-2008, 07:52
It was so hot Saturday night. I think that the low was in the mid 70's and the high was 93. Crazy hot.

JayS
06-09-2008, 10:37
Got back from the wedding in Virginia. Got to hammock Friday night with my son and a niece. Everyone thought we were nuts due to the humidity and heat but we were comfortable, to the point we used fleece blankets under & over us by morning.

The wedding was a different story - 102 degrees with no shade and no wind and it HAD to be outside in the sun at 5:30 p.m. The reception started inside with air conditioning but then moved outside for dinner (the sun was still high enough to feel hot). Good band and lots of dancing. Lovely wedding... just a bit warm when you are in a suit.

HappyCamper
06-09-2008, 10:43
Thanks for sharing the pictures, Patrick. Do we have a new convert named Neil???

NCPatrick
06-09-2008, 10:48
Thanks for sharing the pictures, Patrick. Do we have a new convert named Neil???

Uhm, in short NO. Some folks are very set in their ways.

He was the ground dweller in the (out of focus) tent pic... BUT the highlight of his daughter's trip was getting to sleep in a hammock. We brought an extra one for her.

The young (and young at heart) have such open minds. ;).

fin
06-09-2008, 10:59
Uhm, in short NO. Some folks are very set in their ways.

He just hasn't found the right hammock yet. :rolleyes:

NCPatrick
06-09-2008, 11:42
He just hasn't found the right hammock yet. :rolleyes:

I'm ok with someone choosing a tent. It's a lifestyle choice just like so many others. I try to be understanding and sympathize with them in the morning when they complain about their night's sleep on the hard, cold ground. I smile and nod and try not to not be too outwardly smug about my comfortable nights sleep. :)

fin
06-09-2008, 11:49
I'm ok with someone choosing a tent. It's a lifestyle choice just like so many others. I try to be understanding and sympathize with them in the morning when they complain about their night's sleep on the hard, cold ground. I smile and nod and try not to not be too outwardly smug about my comfortable nights sleep. :)

LOL - I hear you. I like that, a lifestyle choice. Just like politics and religion - everyone has to live with their decisions.;) I'm working on a couple of converts right now, so I don't have to smile and nod and try not to not be too outwardly smug about my comfortable nights sleep on my next trip with them. :rolleyes::)

fin
06-09-2008, 20:08
Pictures from my area over the weekend from the local newspaper website:

http://www.jsonline.com/site/photographerphotos/SlideShow.aspx?catid=1263&N=0&photoid=23057

Ramblinrev
06-09-2008, 20:12
Our 42 mile marathon hike got derailed as a result of the heat. The farthest anyone got was about 25 miles. But eveyone got off the trail under their own power although some were picked up at road crossings instead of designated aid stations. Biggus Whoopus. It was a fantastic weekend. There were three hangers amongst our group and other hammocks in view at the campground.

NCPatrick
06-09-2008, 20:14
Pictures from my area over the weekend from the local newspaper website:

http://www.jsonline.com/site/photographerphotos/SlideShow.aspx?catid=1263&N=0&photoid=23057

Wow. Hang in there FishinFinn. That's quite a mess you've got up there.

NCPatrick
06-09-2008, 20:16
Our 42 mile marathon hike got derailed as a result of the heat. The farthest anyone got was about 25 miles. But eveyone got off the trail under their own power although some were picked up at road crossings instead of designated aid stations. Biggus Whoopus. It was a fantastic weekend. There were three hangers amongst our group and other hammocks in view at the campground.

Yeah, I think we broke some heat records here last weekend. Sounds like some common sense prevailed in the intense heat and everyone ended up safe and sound. Glad it was fun!

Lost
06-09-2008, 22:19
Patrick - beautiful place. Looked very relaxing and comfortable in spite of the heat. I bet the girls had a blast in that creek.

FF - sorry to hear about all the devistation in your area. Glad you and your family are okay. It takes a while for a community to recover after something like that.