PDA

View Full Version : Whoopie Hooks

Joey
02-04-2012, 16:43
Went for an overnight trip last night. Use the whoopie hook with my suspension for the first time. I must say I am very happy with this. They are simple and light, and "click" onto the amsteel in a way that gives full confidence in my suspension right off.

Wrapped the strap around a tree, feed the whoopie sling through the strap loop, "clicked" the whoopie hook onto the amsteel loop that's on my hammock. Set! You can NOT get any lighter or more simple than that!

Thanks Dutch!

L.D. Cakes
02-04-2012, 16:47
Any Pics???

Joey
02-04-2012, 16:50
Any Pics???

I set up in the dark, and broke camp in the dark. I made a short video, but it was too dark to see. I had a great spot along the river that was very peaceful. This was just a short after work head out and hang, then come back and take care of weekend chores hang. Only about 5 miles hike, and the one peaceful but much needed night out. :-)

http://youtu.be/WvE_pv23BaY

lazy river road
02-04-2012, 16:52
Yeah gotta agree with you on this one Joey the Woopie Hooks are pretty awesome. Light, simple to us and made by none other the the greatest hiker who's pretty easy on the eyes to. So Joey are they orange?

L.D. Cakes
02-04-2012, 16:54
OK Thanks, It's so nice to be able to do that kind of hang on the fly...:)

lazy river road
02-04-2012, 16:58
Any Pics???

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=640039

Don't know if this was what you were looking for L.D. but SGT Rock did a video on how these nifty hooks work.

L.D. Cakes
02-04-2012, 17:06
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=640039

Don't know if this was what you were looking for L.D. but SGT Rock did a video on how these nifty hooks work.

Perfect! Thanks!

southmark
02-04-2012, 17:27
I just finished changing my suspension to these this afternoon. I used them in the backyard and I really like the setup. Nothing wrong with my old whoopies and marlin spike but I do like the idea of separate storage for wet suspension and dry hammock.

Joey
02-04-2012, 17:28
Yeah gotta agree with you on this one Joey the Woopie Hooks are pretty awesome. Light, simple to us and made by none other the the greatest hiker who's pretty easy on the eyes to. So Joey are they orange?

They are not orange, but they are awesome none the less! I'm really liking these hooks!

SanAntoneTY
02-04-2012, 17:36
I got to get me a set of these

SGT Rock
02-07-2012, 14:16
I just finished changing my suspension to these this afternoon. I used them in the backyard and I really like the setup. Nothing wrong with my old whoopies and marlin spike but I do like the idea of separate storage for wet suspension and dry hammock.

Exactly. And it is nice to be able to totally tear down your hammock while still under the tarp and out of the rain instead of having to head out to take down your straps and slings and then come back in to finish. The tarp and straps/slings are all stored together in a mesh pocket outside the pack now.

hppyfngy
02-07-2012, 15:17
Aww man...

That just makes me rethink everything! ;)

Pretty darned cool.

southmark
02-07-2012, 15:48
Exactly. And it is nice to be able to totally tear down your hammock while still under the tarp and out of the rain instead of having to head out to take down your straps and slings and then come back in to finish. The tarp and straps/slings are all stored together in a mesh pocket outside the pack now.

Yes, thanks Rock. I knew that I had to have this setup when I saw your set up at SoRUCK. I also had to make the sharkbite/hiking pole tarp support after seeing it in person. Keep the ides coming!

SGT Rock
02-07-2012, 16:01
Yes, thanks Rock. I knew that I had to have this setup when I saw your set up at SoRUCK. I also had to make the sharkbite/hiking pole tarp support after seeing it in person. Keep the ides coming!

That was with the straps/slings from Dutch. They were OK, but not how I like to hang. My UCRs fit in perfect when I made a couple of dynaglide pieces to replace the amsteel. I made it about 6" total length long, 1" eyes on each end and 2" of bury to be on the safe side. It's been performing great. The only issue now is the Dutch ti ridgeline biner is probably obsolete with this set upas I can just slip the eye of my ridge over the mount when the hammock is off the hooks.

SGT Rock
02-07-2012, 16:14
Here are some pictures I took today of my hammock ends and the attachment of the UCRs and straps to them.

Dutch
02-07-2012, 16:22
Here are some pictures I took today of my hammock ends and the attachment of the UCRs and straps to them.

Rock I can't figure out what the ridgeline biner is doing on that first picture. Also what happend to you finger?

SGT Rock
02-07-2012, 16:30
Rock I can't figure out what the ridgeline biner is doing on that first picture. Also what happend to you finger?
Well I didn't leave a place to hook it when I made my new hammock suspension for the hook, so I just clipped it the eye for the WH for now. I've been thinking that the ridge line clip might be superfluous for me now as I could just put the eye at the end of the ridgeline over the stubby end of the hammock suspension and leave it there unless I needed to move it, then I would just have to unhook my hammock head end for a second and take the eye off.

The hand... one of those 100 things I had to do this week caused that. That particular damage is from changing shocks, struts, coil springs, brakes, headlights, fixing cooling systems, etc. My right hand is twice as messed up. But **** happens. If you ever watch close on my 40 minute tarp video about cuben and VHB you will see two big bandages on the tips of my left index and middle finger. That was because the night before I started that I almost cut the tips off both of them doing wood carving.

angrysparrow
02-07-2012, 23:42
Has anyone noticed any cordage abrasion from clipping Amsteel in and out of the hooks yet?

I'm thinking that when the hook always clips to the same spot on cording (ala, clipping to a fixed or static continuous loop), it will over time cause some friction and compression abrasion at the point of contact. That could of course be avoided by rotating the continuous loop, but it's something to consider.

When used with a whoopie, it might actually be a better idea to splice the hook onto the continuous loop on the hammock. Then, when it clicks on to the loop of the whoopie, it would nominally be clipping on to a different place on the loop each time, depending on the adjustment for distance. That would of course preclude its use as a bead or stopper on the whoopie loop, but that's a secondary function anyway.

SGT Rock
02-08-2012, 08:56
No abrasion noticed yet.

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll

samsara
02-08-2012, 10:13
Has anyone noticed any cordage abrasion from clipping Amsteel in and out of the hooks yet?

I'm thinking that when the hook always clips to the same spot on cording (ala, clipping to a fixed or static continuous loop), it will over time cause some friction and compression abrasion at the point of contact. That could of course be avoided by rotating the continuous loop, but it's something to consider.

When used with a whoopie, it might actually be a better idea to splice the hook onto the continuous loop on the hammock. Then, when it clicks on to the loop of the whoopie, it would nominally be clipping on to a different place on the loop each time, depending on the adjustment for distance. That would of course preclude its use as a bead or stopper on the whoopie loop, but that's a secondary function anyway.

The wear makes sense over time.

Wouldn't that mean that you would have to unhook every time you wanted to adjust your sling? I'm assuming that the hook wouldn't allow the whoopie sling to slide through. Just a guess.

Maybe you could make a small sacrificial Prusik loop (or would a soft shackle be able to carry the weight?) that the hook is on and when you tie it add it into the whoopie sling (either end). If either end of line that is attached to the hook wears then you just replace the loop instead of the entire whoopie sling.

Dave

angrysparrow
02-08-2012, 10:28
Wouldn't that mean that you would have to unhook every time you wanted to adjust your sling?

I'm not sure. I haven't tried that yet.

Maybe you could make a small sacrificial Prusik loop (or would a soft shackle be able to carry the weight?) that the hook is on and when you tie it add it into the whoopie sling (either end). If either end of line that is attached to the hook wears then you just replace the loop instead of the entire whoopie sling.

Sure, but that would be the same difference as replacing the continuous loop on the hammock end when it shows abrasion (as per Dutch's suggested configuration).

There's no issue with simply using it as suggested and watching the continuous loop for wear. I just wonder if turning the hook around wouldn't spread the wear out over the length of the whoopie loop, and make it that much longer before something needed to be replaced.

Cranky Bear
02-08-2012, 10:47

I think you make a valid point about possible abrasion, but the hooks have no sharp edges or corners (at least mine don't) so there shouldn't be any movement aside from the act of putting on and taking off (like you mentioned) so my thought is there should be less abrasion at the hook connection point!

Now the side where the whoopie connects to the webbing might be a higher percentage for wear as depending on the size of the tree the whoopie may be in contact with the tree and the act of getting in and out of the hammock will cause movement of the suspension so wear and tear will be higher! (all just in theory of course)

I think one thing to remember is that we should always be checking our suspensions for abrasion as that can happen with any type of suspension!

Gustav
02-08-2012, 11:12
Dutch needs to rename the hooks to "Dutch Suspension Hooks" as I have ordered them for my Adjustable Webbing. Continuous loop through the "V" buckles with a "whoopie hook" on it. Continuous loop on my hammock. DONE

Or maybe,"Dutch Suspension Speed Hooks" DSSH :D
Because calling then "Hammock Hookers" IS NOT RIGHT :D:)

SGT Rock
02-08-2012, 11:29
I figure the little pigtail connector on the hammock is going to be the only major wear point. A couple of feet of dynaglide. So that section would be the sacrificial part anyway, but I don't know how many miles that will be. I've had things I considered temporary last for over 1000 miles of hiking before I just finally replaced it instead of waiting for it to tear up.

As stated, you should always be inspecting your suspension anyway.