PDA

View Full Version : Video: How Fronkey stuffs down!

Fronkey
02-04-2012, 19:57
Hey guys and gals,
I was making a few quilts for summer season and wanted to share the method I use to stuff down into my quilts.

There are many different ways to do this, but this is the one I find easiest and prefer using.

Hope this helps some people out and thanks for watching!

sCJp2C4EFjU

Fronkey

Red Wing
02-04-2012, 20:02
Has anyone told you, you look EXACTLY like Seth MacFarlane? Like, exactly like him. It's uncanny.

I'm digging your down insertion method, very KISS. Where were you for the end of the vid? Looks like Hawaii

Compare this with the 00:00 mark of your vid dude. Twins.

http://www.planet-familyguy.com/news/images/image.php?image=408.jpg&width=500&height=500

RedBeardHanger
02-04-2012, 20:09
Very well done! I try to do everything by the KISS method and you nailed it! If I ever make an attempt at an UQ/TQ I’ll be sure to apply this method…

flatline
02-04-2012, 20:10
very stylish technique!

Catavarie
That has got to be the cleanest way to stuff down I've seen. My bathroom looks like I've slaughtered a dozen down pillows by the time that I have one chamber filled. :laugh:

bloomgorge
thanks for sharing that

+1 on the Seth macfarlane

where was that waterfall at

Fronkey
02-04-2012, 20:14
Has anyone told you, you look EXACTLY like Seth MacFarlane? Like, exactly like him. It's uncanny.

I'm digging your down insertion method, very KISS. Where were you for the end of the vid? Looks like Hawaii

lol Man, I hope he's really good looking and funny then! I have heard that a couple times actually.

It was in Alaska actually. I miss that place!

Very well done! I try to do everything by the KISS method and you nailed it! If I ever make an attempt at an UQ/TQ I’ll be sure to apply this method…

Exactly what I was going for. Nothing technical, just a whole lot of easy.

very stylish technique!
Thanks dude!

That has got to be the cleanest way to stuff down I've seen. My bathroom looks like I've slaughtered a dozen down pillows by the time that I have one chamber filled. :laugh:

When you listen to your lady complain about down everywhere... you come up with a cleaner technique. :D Thanks for watching.

thanks for sharing that

+1 on the Seth macfarlane

where was that waterfall at

Thanks man!

Skagway, Alaska was where the waterfall was. Spent quite a few months in that massive state. Love that place!

Fronkey

bloomgorge
02-04-2012, 20:18
that's so unfair you've been to Alaska

you don't know who Seth macfarlane is? do you watch animation domination on Sunday's, family guy, American dad etc...you also have similar wittiness as he

Fronkey
02-04-2012, 20:21
that's so unfair you've been to Alaska

you don't know who Seth macfarlane is? do you watch animation domination on Sunday's, family guy, American dad etc...you also have similar wittiness as he

I've been to 97 countries all 50 states and all 7 continents. Came home with a girlfriend. :)

I know who he is, I was just making a joke about being good looking. :laugh:

Fronkey

Red Wing
02-04-2012, 20:23
Were you in the Navy or something Fronks?

Fronkey
02-04-2012, 20:24
No, I work for princess cruises. But, let's keep this thread on topic. Feel free to Pm me if you have questions. :)

Fronkey

nothermark
02-04-2012, 20:30
very nice, and very nice too. ;-)

Hawk-eye
02-04-2012, 20:31
Pretty slick method Fronkey ... liked the end shot too!

bloomgorge
02-04-2012, 20:47
I've been to 97 countries all 50 states and all 7 continents. Came home with a girlfriend. :)

I know who he is, I was just making a joke about being good looking. :laugh:

Fronkey

that's impressive, I'd like to sit next to you at a camp fire for the stories

Fronkey
02-04-2012, 21:22
very nice, and very nice too. ;-)

Thanks man!

Pretty slick method Fronkey ... liked the end shot too!

It sure did help the girlfriend from nagging so much. :laugh: You gotta love huge waterfalls. ::sigh:: Alaska

that's impressive, I'd like to sit next to you at a camp fire for the stories

You live close enough to where I'm sure I'll see you at a hang someday. :)

Fronkey

tncamper
02-04-2012, 21:54
Great Vid! I'm gonna have to try the down thing one day. Maybe by next winter.

Nojack
02-04-2012, 22:04
More vids of DIY projects... would love to see an entire video of how you made a quilt!!! Anyone here second that thought?

normis1
02-04-2012, 22:23
One word....Genius.

L.D. Cakes
02-04-2012, 22:40
More vids of DIY projects... would love to see an entire video of how you made a quilt!!! Anyone here second that thought?

I'll second that!

db
02-04-2012, 22:47
Nice work Fronkey, that seems to work better than when we were trying on the UQ. I'll have to try that method for the summer TQ.

TFC Rick
02-04-2012, 22:47
I'm very disapointed. I thought the title was "How Fronkey gets down". I was expecting to see some one bust a move.

L.D. Cakes
02-04-2012, 22:49
I'm very disapointed. I thought the title was "How Fronkey gets down". I was expecting to see some one bust a move.

:lol::lol::lol:

Catavarie
02-04-2012, 22:52

Now you've done it, next video Fronkey will be getting down with his down. :D

Fronkey
02-04-2012, 23:20
Great Vid! I'm gonna have to try the down thing one day. Maybe by next winter.

Thanks man. It's a lot easier to do than people think.

Who knows maybe I will someday if there is enough interest.

One word....Genius.

Thanks a bunch!

Nice work Fronkey, that seems to work better than when we were trying on the UQ. I'll have to try that method for the summer TQ.

It worked so much better and the way I did it before we made your UQ. I kept saying if you remember, "Man, I did this so much easier last time." Well, I made a video so I wouldn't forget again. :laugh:

Did you not see me rockin' those X-mas pants!?!?

Now you've done it, next video Fronkey will be getting down with his down. :D

That happens off camera. :scared:

Fronkey

Callahan
02-05-2012, 01:22
Good stuff dude! Looks like a much easier and more effective method than most I've seen.

Cheers :)

bluejeans
02-05-2012, 08:17
Well love is a slayer isn't it. Going from a world traveling bachelor surfer dude to Nannuck of the North forced into making down clothing hidden away in a shower wearing cut off Xmas jammies:lol:
Be well my friend:thumbup1:

SoundWitness
02-05-2012, 08:38
Great instructional vid, Fronkey! Simple and clean. You may have revolutionized down stuffing for me. I've struggled with how to get all the down from the package to the baffle for years, without having flyaway down go all over the place!! Awesome, dude! Thanks for sharing....

Oh....and cool jammies too! lol

Les Rust
02-05-2012, 08:52
Fronkey, thanks for enlightening us on this clean and easy method. one question, since you put all that down in that baffle, how do you measure out your down? I think WL packages in 1oz packs, or do you measure it some other way? Thanks again.

HappyCamper
02-05-2012, 09:00
When I transferred down to add extra to a UQ it was never this easy. This is great. You almost make me want to make a quilt. But not quite! People will really benefit from this. Nicely done.

This should be a sticky!

FireInMyBones
02-05-2012, 09:01
That method blows the Christmas pants off my down stuffing technique. I'll be trying that when I go to make my summer TQ latter this year.

hppyfngy
02-05-2012, 09:56
Okay, I give up Fronkey. Time to toss the Frankenquilt sleeping bag fiber fill crappy uq I've been using and have a go at this finally.

Off to the uq threads.

beep
02-05-2012, 10:00
Very nice! Thanks for showing the technique.

Fronkey
02-05-2012, 10:45
Good stuff dude! Looks like a much easier and more effective method than most I've seen.

Cheers :)

Thanks man. It really helps keep it clean.

Well love is a slayer isn't it. Going from a world traveling bachelor surfer dude to Nannuck of the North forced into making down clothing hidden away in a shower wearing cut off Xmas jammies:lol:
Be well my friend:thumbup1:

:laugh: Live is such an adventure and I couldn't be happier. Now, I'm a world traveling surfer dude who makes down clothing... with a girlfriend. :scared:

Great instructional vid, Fronkey! Simple and clean. You may have revolutionized down stuffing for me. I've struggled with how to get all the down from the package to the baffle for years, without having flyaway down go all over the place!! Awesome, dude! Thanks for sharing....

Oh....and cool jammies too! lol

I'm glad it can be helpful and your future down adventures will stay in the quilts. :laugh:

When I transferred down to add extra to a UQ it was never this easy. This is great. You almost make me want to make a quilt. But not quite! People will really benefit from this. Nicely done.

This should be a sticky!

haha Thanks dude!

That method blows the Christmas pants off my down stuffing technique. I'll be trying that when I go to make my summer TQ latter this year.
I made a summer top quilt just 2 days ago and it was REALLY easy. This method of down will help with that too.
Thanks for watching.

Fronkey, thanks for enlightening us on this clean and easy method. one question, since you put all that down in that baffle, how do you measure out your down? I think WL packages in 1oz packs, or do you measure it some other way? Thanks again.

WL actually packages in both 1oz and 1/2 oz. Depending on what I'm making will determine what size I ask for. For that quilt I was making a regular sized summer TQ which had 14 baffles. So, I just did 1/2 oz in each baffle.

Fronkey

Fronkey
02-05-2012, 10:46
Okay, I give up Fronkey. Time to toss the Frankenquilt sleeping bag fiber fill crappy uq I've been using and have a go at this finally.

Off to the uq threads.

Good luck dude! It's actually a lot easier than people think. :)

Very nice! Thanks for showing the technique.

Thanks man!

Fronkey

Fronkey
02-05-2012, 15:59

Ok, I think in about a month I'll make an instructional video on "How to make an underquilt." I just have to see which one of my friends wants one so I can make it for them or maybe I'll make the girlfriend a snazzy purple UQ. :)

Fronkey

TFC Rick
02-05-2012, 16:05
Hmmm I am in need of a quilt. And I even like purple lol!!!

hangNyak
02-05-2012, 16:34
Ok, I think in about a month I'll make an instructional video on "How to make an underquilt." I just have to see which one of my friends wants one so I can make it for them or maybe I'll make the girlfriend a snazzy purple UQ. :)

Fronkey

I posted this on the other thread, just kidding around. But, if you really want to make a video, I'll buy all my materials and pay for the shipping. You just make my UQ and the video.

Fronkey
02-05-2012, 18:07
Hmmm I am in need of a quilt. And I even like purple lol!!!

I posted this on the other thread, just kidding around. But, if you really want to make a video, I'll buy all my materials and pay for the shipping. You just make my UQ and the video.

We'll see what happens.

I am going to ask some of my friends first to see if they want one because they will snag some extra fabric so I can make an extra shell for me. :)

But, we'll also see if people want an instructional video on it and if I really want to take the time to do it. I'm thinking that this one might take some time to film with all the detail going into it. The girlfriend is going out of the country next month, so that might be a perfect time to make it. :)

Fronkey

hangNyak
02-05-2012, 20:15
We'll see what happens.

I am going to ask some of my friends first to see if they want one because they will snag some extra fabric so I can make an extra shell for me. :)

But, we'll also see if people want an instructional video on it and if I really want to take the time to do it. I'm thinking that this one might take some time to film with all the detail going into it. The girlfriend is going out of the country next month, so that might be a perfect time to make it. :)

Fronkey

Hey, no problem. I really want to do it myself, but I thought I would offer it up. Can't wait to see the vid. I have not found a good video on doing UQ's. I'm surprised, too, with all the questions that are asked on the subject. Good luck!

Catavarie
02-05-2012, 22:02
I think the reason why there has yet to be a video on the entire process of making a quilt whether top or under is because it is a long time consuming process. Grizz made a few videos on on quilt making, but in his normal, lovable Grizz fashion lots of numbers and theory thrown out at you. So be sure to pay attention. Mostly though quilts are just a bunch of straight stiches. In my experience the thought/fear of making my own quilts was much worse than the actual process of making them. There is a lot of great information here on how to come up with the figures you need, read through them and then just put stitch to fabric. The worse that will happen is you have to undo a seam or two, the best you end up with a piece of gear custom made to your specifications and the sense of accomplishment knowing that you made it yourself. :cool:

Fronkey
02-05-2012, 22:22
I think the reason why there has yet to be a video on the entire process of making a quilt whether top or under is because it is a long time consuming process. Grizz made a few videos on on quilt making, but in his normal, lovable Grizz fashion lots of numbers and theory thrown out at you. So be sure to pay attention. Mostly though quilts are just a bunch of straight stiches. In my experience the thought/fear of making my own quilts was much worse than the actual process of making them. There is a lot of great information here on how to come up with the figures you need, read through them and then just put stitch to fabric. The worse that will happen is you have to undo a seam or two, the best you end up with a piece of gear custom made to your specifications and the sense of accomplishment knowing that you made it yourself. :cool:

I don't mind so much taking the time to make a detailed video. It's rather that I don't want to deal with all the questions that come with it.

For example, I was just going to make a video on how to make a 3/4, 3season uq with around 9oz of down. Show how to do the baffles etc. And I really think I can do it in a way that everyone understands and build up their confidence before making one for themselves.

But, with that I would get a ton of questions like, "What if I wanted to make it "this temp rating" or "if I used this fill how much down would I need" yada yada.

That's something I didn't want to particularly deal with as I like to keep thing simple and fun.

I've made a bunch of quilts for my friends and I. The quilts have had more trail time than the average hiker too as I get out a lot and have tested them like crazy so I know they work as expected.

I'm going to hunt down Grizz's videos and see what he has done.

TFC Rick
02-05-2012, 22:32
Dude I would do it just like you said and put in plain English (if you have questions about ratings or overstuffs etc. consult the appropriate forum thread).

I just want Homer Simpson simple instruction. The math kicked my butt in school and I really don't want to go back without a tutor.

Catavarie
02-05-2012, 23:13
If people want to ask questions about making an UQ I have no problem doing the math for them, I rather enjoy it actually. Sometimes when bored I just sit and figure out the numbers for different TQs and UQs. But I guess that just makes me a little bit like Grizz, and I'm okay with that. :D

I had started a thread somewhere on here that links to a google doc I had made with different insulation values and the required math formulas and standard/minimal thicknesses for quilts.

Here is the Document. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/123vdg3pL7D19lqgapWIEvR8j8HQWmefjIe27SPmJR7g/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1#)

G.L.P.
02-06-2012, 00:42
Cool to see how others do it Fronkster .....
i made a mess with down HAHAHAHAH i still find down in my basement
i like it packed in 1oz bags and i kinda do what you did i either cut the bag in half or i take my chances and pull it out in clumps into a bigger bags to weigh it out...
:rolleyes:
i think my next quilt i'll take pics of how i go about making it :D

dragon360
02-06-2012, 09:54
Really liked the ingenuity Fronkey! Keep these bad boys coming - next can be the mods to the Jam or
the canvas winter sock or
some surf lessons!!

Fronkey
02-06-2012, 10:00
Really liked the ingenuity Fronkey! Keep these bad boys coming - next can be the mods to the Jam or
the canvas winter sock or
some surf lessons!!

Thanks a bunch man.

I am seriously thinking about doing a video on how to make a down underquilt. But, it depends on whether or not people want one yada yada

I was going to do one on the sock, but with no snow it would look weird. :laugh:

Also, I will show what I did to my Jam when I make a "What's in my pack" video, which will be at the end of March. The reason why is the mod I did, no one else can do because the stuff I use to do it is not available to the public. :)

Fronkey

dragon360
02-06-2012, 10:26
Thanks a bunch man.

I am seriously thinking about doing a video on how to make a down underquilt. But, it depends on whether or not people want one yada yada

I was going to do one on the sock, but with no snow it would look weird. :laugh:

Also, I will show what I did to my Jam when I make a "What's in my pack" video, which will be at the end of March. The reason why is the mod I did, no one else can do because the stuff I use to do it is not available to the public. :)

Fronkey

Well count me in for the videos. These are great learning tools. And I still appreciate the help you gave some time back on explaining the quilts to me.

Aardvark
02-06-2012, 10:47
Well count me in for the videos. These are great learning tools. And I still appreciate the help you gave some time back on explaining the quilts to me.

Pure.....Genius.......

I remember an extremely bad time in a Swissgear tent bugnet, trying to manuever 2 oz of down. It takes no less than 3 weeks to extricate all the fly-aways from nasal passages, and I am sure that right now (8 months after), the sharp pin-cushion poking I have in my upper sinus cavity may be a micro quill.

OutandBack
02-06-2012, 10:56
Thanks a bunch man.

Fronkey

If it doesn't snow this year there a good chance it will next.
A sock is always worth having in the camp room standing by.
I would think they be great in the windy Spring as well.

I'd love to see a Fronkey (easy on the eyes, smart, and handy around the house) sock DIY video.
If you do one, I hope you will add some of the mods(pullouts, etc) we discussed.

thanks for a great video on how to deal with down.

-O&B

Shug
02-06-2012, 11:27
How sharp do my scissors have to be? Does it have happen in a tub? What if my girlfriend/wife is in town? How much in each baffle? Do I need Christmas pants?
What if I look like Gene Hackman? What is an underquilt? Where do I get down with down? Do bird feathers work?
I am UQ Curious.;)
Slug

Fronkey
02-06-2012, 11:28

The girlfriend will be out of the country for a week in March. So, I'm thinking I might be able to crank out quite a few videos that I've been wanting to get done. I've just been so dang busy lately.:eek:

Pure.....Genius.......

I remember an extremely bad time in a Swissgear tent bugnet, trying to manuever 2 oz of down. It takes no less than 3 weeks to extricate all the fly-aways from nasal passages, and I am sure that right now (8 months after), the sharp pin-cushion poking I have in my upper sinus cavity may be a micro quill.

Thanks dude!
I know exactly what you mean. That down likes to stick around forever, it's a lot like an ex-girlfriend. You just can't get rid of it no matter how hard you try.

If it doesn't snow this year there a good chance it will next.
A sock is always worth having in the camp room standing by.
I would think they be great in the windy Spring as well.

I'd love to see a Fronkey (easy on the eyes, smart, and handy around the house) sock DIY video.
If you do one, I hope you will add some of the mods(pullouts, etc) we discussed.

thanks for a great video on how to deal with down.

-O&B

Are you suggesting a video on how to make one? I actually haven't even thought of that. lol I would probably have to hold off on that one until next year. I am going to mod my current sock so more because I was thinking more about it and I think the side that I put my head would be a great place to add some tie outs.
I do however plan on doing a good walkthrough of my sock next time I take it out. Which I'm hoping is soon as long as we get some cold weather.

Thanks for watching!

Fronkey

Hawk-eye
02-06-2012, 11:30
How sharp do my scissors have to be? Does it have happen in a tub? What if my girlfriend/wife is in town? How much in each baffle? Do I need Christmas pants?
What if I look like Gene Hackman? What is an underquilt? Where do I get down with down? Do bird feathers work?
I am UQ Curious.;)
Slug

ROTFLMAO SHUG-ROW :lol:

G.L.P.
02-06-2012, 11:32
I am UQ Curious.;)
Slug

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol::lol:
I'm still trying to not to choke ..... i read this and choked on my soda :lol:

Fronkey
02-06-2012, 11:33
I am UQ Curious.;)
Slug

No scissors. Use lazers

The tub has to be exactlly 13 inches deep or it won't work.

If the wife is in town don't do it. If the girlfriend is in town, then get down. :)

Use 3 oz and an armadillo in each baffle. You'll thank me later.

You can use groundhog pants too. But, do not use Earth day pants!

If you look like Gene Hackman from "The French Connection" than your good. But, if you look like him as Lex Luthor, don't even attempt this project.

I have no idea what an under quilt is. :eek:

To get down with down you must go to the SHT and throw in exactly 73 cents into Egge lake.

Bird feathers will work. But, the best come from dragons.

:laugh:

Fronkey

Fronkey
02-06-2012, 11:40
WOOHOO!! Sticky baby!

Fronkey

Shug
02-06-2012, 11:42
Prepping you for that Quilt video.....and questions))))))))
Shug

No scissors. Use lazers

The tub has to be exactlly 13 inches deep or it won't work.

If the wife is in town don't do it. If the girlfriend is in town, then get down. :)

Use 3 oz and an armadillo in each baffle. You'll thank me later.

You can use groundhog pants too. But, do not use Earth day pants!

If you look like Gene Hackman from "The French Connection" than your good. But, if you look like him as Lex Luthor, don't even attempt this project.

I have no idea what an under quilt is. :eek:

To get down with down you must go to the SHT and throw in exactly 73 cents into Egge lake.

Bird feathers will work. But, the best come from dragons.

Fronkey

Fronkey
02-06-2012, 11:43
Prepping you for that Quilt video.....and questions))))))))
Shug

haha That's what I thought you were doing.

I think what I'll do is if anyone has any questions I'll just tell them to PM Grizz. :laugh:

Fronkey

dragon360
02-06-2012, 16:55
WOOHOO!! Sticky baby!

Fronkey

Congrats on the sticky!!

gmcttr
02-06-2012, 17:30
Time to wash up Fronkey...you know you shouldn't work with down if you're all sticky.

Congrats!

BLUEFIN 774
02-06-2012, 17:42
Hey Fronkey,

Great video on stuffing down. It looks pretty mess free the way you did that.

hangNyak
02-06-2012, 18:05
Forgive me Fronkey, but I'm going to ask one of those questions you want to avoid.:D You didn't seem to cover in your video about the weight of the down. In other words, if the bag has 1oz. of down, but I only need .75 oz. What then? Will they bag it to the exact weight you need? Do I have to remove some, and how? Questions, questions, questions. Don't ya hate noobs? :lol:

Fronkey
02-06-2012, 18:29
Congrats on the sticky!!

Thanks dude!

Time to wash up Fronkey...you know you shouldn't work with down if you're all sticky.

Congrats!
Being sticky is fun!

Hey Fronkey,

Great video on stuffing down. It looks pretty mess free the way you did that.
Thanks man. I do like a clean down free home if I can help it. :D

Forgive me Fronkey, but I'm going to ask one of those questions you want to avoid.:D You didn't seem to cover in your video about the weight of the down. In other words, if the bag has 1oz. of down, but I only need .75 oz. What then? Will they bag it to the exact weight you need? Do I have to remove some, and how? Questions, questions, questions. Don't ya hate noobs? :lol:

lol I don't mind questions at all. It's just I didn't want to answer all the technical one people could get from a bunch of other threads that have already covered it. :)

WL bags them in both 1oz and 1/2 oz bags.

In that video I was using 1/2 (.50) bags. If I were using those I would put in one whole bag and then 1/2 of another to get the 3/5 oz.

If I were using 1oz bags. I would cut it in half and put one of those halves in a baffle. Then take out half of the other cut bag and put it in there and there you have 3/4 ounces.

Fronkey

FireInMyBones
02-06-2012, 20:29
WL bags them in both 1oz and 1/2 oz bags.

In that video I was using 1/2 (.50) bags. If I were using those I would put in one whole bag and then 1/2 of another to get the 3/5 oz.

If I were using 1oz bags. I would cut it in half and put one of those halves in a baffle. Then take out half of the other cut bag and put it in there and there you have 3/4 ounces.

I'll be having fun trying this with Thru Hiker's 3oz bags. I really liked the convenience of WL bags (who I used in the past), but I really want the 900 Fill.

Fronkey
02-06-2012, 20:55
I'll be having fun trying this with Thru Hiker's 3oz bags. I really liked the convenience of WL bags (who I used in the past), but I really want the 900 Fill.

From what I've been hearing... WL is actually more like 825-850.

What you could do for those is sew the bag to separate the down. I did that before and it worked great. 3oz of down is a pain in the butt to handle.

Fronkey

FireInMyBones
02-06-2012, 21:04
What you could do for those is sew the bag to separate the down. I did that before and it worked great. 3oz of down is a pain in the butt to handle.

Fronkey

I had been thinking about that as an option. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Fronkey
02-06-2012, 21:09
I had been thinking about that as an option. Glad to hear it worked out for you.

If you look at the packages from WL they are all sewn shut on both ends. I've been thinking that they just have a big long tube of it and then sew it in sections and that's the bags we get when we order.

Fronkey

old4hats
02-08-2012, 21:00
Wow! A real confidence builder, especially in light of the horror stories on down I have read. So, I got my wife to watch your down video, and she says she can/will make me a UQ, and that is my idea of a good DIY project!

Fronkey
02-08-2012, 22:21
Wow! A real confidence builder, especially in light of the horror stories on down I have read. So, I got my wife to watch your down video, and she says she can/will make me a UQ, and that is my idea of a good DIY project!

Terrific! I'm glad it could be of some help.

Post your under quilt when you're done with it and give me tons of thanks. :laugh:

Fronkey

body942
02-09-2012, 00:46
And here I was cramming a whole **** chicken into each baffle; that would explain the bears.

Fronkey
02-09-2012, 09:55
And here I was cramming a whole **** chicken into each baffle; that would explain the bears.

Keep it happy and you can have some warmth and then eggs for breakfast. :lol:

Fronkey

Pag
02-17-2012, 14:16
Bath tub...genius. I've tried making a little painting booth out of 1 mil plastic tarps and using fill bazookas but this idea never occured to me. I do have to add though...if you spill this stuff on the floor..use the longest vacuum hose you can find have the vacuum at LEAST one room away - next county if possible before turning it on. the exhaust from the vacuum blowing down all over is what got me sleeping on the couch priviledges for a couple of nights. My wife nicknamed down the herpes of sewing rooms - impossible to get rid of once it's taken root.

Fronkey
02-17-2012, 14:18
impossible to get rid of once it's taken root.

Kind of like an ex-girlfirend too. :laugh:

Fronkey

Fronkey
02-17-2012, 14:18
Bath tub...genius. I've tried making a little painting booth out of 1 mil plastic tarps and using fill bazookas but this idea never occured to me. I do have to add though...if you spill this stuff on the floor..use the longest vacuum hose you can find have the vacuum at LEAST one room away - next county if possible before turning it on. the exhaust from the vacuum blowing down all over is what got me sleeping on the couch priviledges for a couple of nights. My wife nicknamed down the herpes of sewing rooms - impossible to get rid of once it's taken root.

Doing it in the tub helps pick up the very few strays that end up in there. But, I usually just don't worry about it because of the little amount there is. I turn the shower on and watch it go down the drain. :)

Fronkey

Road_cycler
05-11-2012, 08:54
Can you give me a guideline as to how much down to use (I plan on making a down underquilt). I don't know how much to use to protect down to 32 degrees and how much loft room to allow for my baffles. Seems I've read somewhere that you don't want to go below 700 for the down fill.

SmokeHouse
05-11-2012, 13:14
Thanks for the video... great job.

Fronkey
05-12-2012, 19:48
Can you give me a guideline as to how much down to use (I plan on making a down underquilt). I don't know how much to use to protect down to 32 degrees and how much loft room to allow for my baffles. Seems I've read somewhere that you don't want to go below 700 for the down fill.
There are a lot of things to consider when making an under quilt before stuffing down. For example, is it 3/4, full length, how wide etc. There are a few threads on HF that can help you a little better. Dream Hammock (http://www.dream-hammock.com/down-fill-calculator/) has a great one too.

Thanks for the video... great job.

Thanks dude!

Fronkey

Resqsarge03
08-03-2012, 20:08
Fronkey,
Any suggestions of getting down from full sized pillows into something like an underquilt or TQ? I saw you clipped the plastic bags and kept them intact till you pushed them into the channel. How do you recommend doing this with a large Kmart pillow?
Thanks in advance.

hppyfngy
08-05-2012, 17:22
How do you recommend doing this with a large Kmart pillow?

Very very slowly. I just did this. It wasn't bad but I definitely got some down on me. And in the tub. And everywhere else in the room.

It's actually not bad but you have to take your time and alleviate as much air flow in the area as you can.

I also hope you're not allergic... :laugh:

(Maybe somebody will speak up with an actual trick... I'd like to know too...:))

Fronkey
08-05-2012, 17:25
Fronkey,
Any suggestions of getting down from full sized pillows into something like an underquilt or TQ? I saw you clipped the plastic bags and kept them intact till you pushed them into the channel. How do you recommend doing this with a large Kmart pillow?
Thanks in advance.

Oh pickle! Sorry I missed this question and sorry for taking awhile to respond. :)

Yes, there is a trick to doing this as well. Get a cardboard tube and place the down in there. Then you kind of ram rod it into each individual baffle. Does that make sense? I can go into more detail if you need it. :)

Fronkey

hppyfngy
08-05-2012, 17:32
Yes, there is a trick to doing this as well. Get a cardboard tube and place the down in there. Then you kind of ram rod it into each individual baffle. Does that make sense? I can go into more detail if you need it. :)

Fronkey

M'kay Fronks, I'll bite. How is it easier to get down into a cardboard tube than in a channel?

More detail requested por favor.

HFG

Fronkey
08-05-2012, 17:34
M'kay Fronks, I'll bite. How is it easier to get down into a cardboard tube than in a channel?

More detail requested por favor.

HFG
I thought the same thing when someone told me this trick. :laugh:

You can put the tube in the pillow a lot easier than a quilt. You place the tube inside and close the pillow shut so down doesn't get everywhere. Then move the down around so it goes inside the tube and then ram rod it in the baffle. It takes longer, but it does work.

I would make a video of this, but I don't have any down at the moment.

Fronkey

hppyfngy
08-05-2012, 17:41
I thought the same thing when someone told me this trick. :laugh:

You can put the down in the tube a lot easier than a quilt. You place the tube inside and close the pillow shut so down doesn't get everywhere. Then move the down around so it goes inside the tube and then ram rod it in the baffle. It takes longer, but it does work.

I would make a video of this, but I don't have any down at the moment.

Fronkey

I think that's what you meant...:D Yes I see how that works. You just get it moving and it migrates into the tube.

Pretty clever. I'm still working on a way to extract it into a tube or something like that. Like you would draw a liquid into a hypo. By suction.

In the meantime, I just do it the messy way. :laugh:

Fronkey
08-05-2012, 17:55
I think that's what you meant...:D Yes I see how that works. You just get it moving and it migrates into the tube.

Pretty clever. I'm still working on a way to extract it into a tube or something like that. Like you would draw a liquid into a hypo. By suction.

In the meantime, I just do it the messy way. :laugh:

Actually that's not what I meant. :) I meant you can literally put the tube inside the pillow. You place the tube inside the pillow and close the pillow around the tube which makes it so down can't go anywhere except inside the tube. Then you move it around so it migrates in the tube. Next, you place the down filled tube in the appropriate baffle and ram rod the down into the quilt.

Fronkey

hppyfngy
08-05-2012, 18:00
Actually that's not what I meant. :) I meant you can literally put the tube inside the pillow. You place the tube inside the pillow and close the pillow around the tube which makes it so down can't go anywhere except inside the tube. Then you move it around so it migrates in the tube. Next, you place the down filled tube in the appropriate baffle and ram rod the down into the quilt.

Fronkey

Oh wait, you're talking about a section of tube that's smaller than the pillow. Thought you were saying insert the end of a longer tube and tighten the pillow around the tube and... well.. never mind.

Sidetrack... Sorry! :laugh:

stevebo
09-13-2012, 16:37
very helpful thanks!

Pschei
03-02-2013, 15:11
Forgive my ignorance, but how would you spread the down out once it's in the baffle? Just kinda shake it up?

Fronkey
03-02-2013, 15:15
Forgive my ignorance, but how would you spread the down out once it's in the baffle? Just kinda shake it up?

It's a good question and you're right.
You just shake it up and you're good to go.

Fronkey

Gresh
03-02-2013, 15:23
Cardboard tube? Genius -- but how do you measure the weight for each baffle? Tare out the tube and hope for the best with your scale?

Fronkey
03-02-2013, 15:32
Cardboard tube? Genius -- but how do you measure the weight for each baffle? Tare out the tube and hope for the best with your scale?

Weigh it before you put the down into the tube. :)

Fronkey

natefoo
08-03-2013, 16:52
Awesome Vid! that makes it seem so easy. My last attempt at using down resulted in an entire garage filled with down, I'm still finding clumps of down a year later. heh.

Cedar1974
11-09-2014, 06:18
Hey guys and gals,
I was making a few quilts for summer season and wanted to share the method I use to stuff down into my quilts.

There are many different ways to do this, but this is the one I find easiest and prefer using.

Hope this helps some people out and thanks for watching!

sCJp2C4EFjU

Fronkey

Um, are the Christmas Pants optional? I have Batman pants will those work?

Fronkey
11-09-2014, 20:41
Um, are the Christmas Pants optional? I have Batman pants will those work?

Bat pants will work in every situation in life. Although, I would use Penguin down instead. ;)

Fronkey

Cedar1974
11-09-2014, 20:48
Bat pants will work in every situation in life. Although, I would use Penguin down instead. ;)

Fronkey

Wait you can actually get penguin down to stuff things with?

Fronkey
11-09-2014, 23:29
Wait you can actually get penguin down to stuff things with?

lol No. It was a joke in reference to "The Penguin" from Batman's rogues gallery. :)

Fronkey