PDA

View Full Version : First meeting of the HWC coming up

sk8rs_dad
06-10-2008, 22:00
I was at a planning meeting for a family-oriented Scout camp coming up in a couple of weeks and we were talking about ways to keep down the number of parent tents. I suggested that my wife could tent with another leader's wife and she replied, "It'll be the first annual meeting of the HWC". Needless to say, there were a lot of puzzled faces since none of us could figure out what she meant.

She explained that since there are now 5 leaders who prefer hammocks to tents, there are now 5 other people without tent-mates and she decided to call the group the "Hammock Widows Club".:D

Has anybody else had to deal with the ground-dwellers who have been left behind?

headchange4u
06-11-2008, 09:20
I won't make my wife sleep in a tent alone, but if there is someone else with us who can share the ground dwelling abode with her, I'm in the trees for sure.

JayS
06-11-2008, 10:16
I am trying to convert my wife to the other HWC - the Hammocking Wives Club. So far got her to sleep in a hammock until 4:00 a.m. when she went in from being cold. I later found out she didn't tuck her top quilt in when she got cold. I told her it's no different than in your bed - you get cold, you put the covers on. We'll try again next month up in the Adirondacks.

attroll
06-11-2008, 12:54
I have converted my wife somewhat. When we go on backpacking trips we both hammock but when we go to group events (car camping) we tent. She loves the hammock and would rather use the hammock.

canoebie
06-21-2008, 11:04
Well guys, I may be the luckiest guy alive. My wife canoes with me (with the exception of winter trips) and we both are hanging on our front porch every night. We each got claytor JH's in the spring and we have been side by side in them since. I do appreciate her in so many ways!

David

Narwhalin
06-21-2008, 11:08
Well guys, I may be the luckiest guy alive. My wife canoes with me (with the exception of winter trips) and we both are hanging on our front porch every night. We each got claytor JH's in the spring and we have been side by side in them since. I do appreciate her in so many ways!

David

You need to make sure she sees this post, David! May also be used to get out of the doghouse for free!

I am interested in making a stand for my bedroom that can accomidate one or two hammocks, so we can hang side by side...

canoebie
06-21-2008, 11:12
You need to make sure she sees this post, David! May also be used to get out of the doghouse for free!

I am interested in making a stand for my bedroom that can accomidate one or two hammocks, so we can hang side by side...

Darn good idea on her reading the post., always need the points!! This is my second marriage of ten years, and I really do feel fortunate. She does all kinds of outdoor stuff with me. She is a sculptor and certainly "thinks outside the box." She is an independent soul. Course there is none of that element in me. (smile)

Keep me posted on the interior stand idea. We gotta figure out what we are going to do when winter arrives!

David

Narwhalin
06-21-2008, 15:31
This is something to look at for you: http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/3%20Leg%20Hammock%20Stand.htm

I would think you could substitute wood for the pipes, and stain it to make something pretty nice, and relatively cheap. Also, you could build a shelving system in the back. I am also thinking it might look cool to put two additional support beams on top running from the posts that each hammock individually attatches, to the shared attatchment post.

I am also looking at what they call a three-point stand. Less flashy, but with some modification, it could work.

http://www.hammocks.com/hammock-stands/metal-stands/3pointhammockstand.cfm?source=gbase&gbid=3_Point_Hammock_Stand

It is normally used for these spreader bar hammocks that attatch at three points instead of two. (Perhaps to stop that flip over thing that seems to happen with those hammocks?) Anyhow, I thought making a wider, sturdier version of one of those could be made to handle two hammocks.

This thread is going in the direction of hammock stands, and should probably go to another area...

Here is the thread I started about this idea: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=67527#post67527