PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather on the A.T

Mr.Tattoo
02-15-2012, 01:50
I am planning an A.T thru hike next year starting at the end of Feb. I currently have a wicked light 45 bag that I want to use as a top quilt, thermarest sleep pad,3-Season Yeti underquilt and a Reactor Plus ThermoliteŽ Liner also a superfly tarp. I was wondering if this would be good for the conditions I will encounter? any help would be great..Thanks

G.L.P.
02-15-2012, 02:06
the yeti will work ... might need a pad with it for some nights if the temps drop
but the 45F bag will not due... save up and get a good TQ .

Mr.Tattoo
02-15-2012, 02:14
have a ridgerest pad . darn was hoping the down 45 bag would work with layering.O well lol

G.L.P.
02-15-2012, 02:38
yeah get a good TQ and maybe a hammock sock...
you will run into temps into the 20's maybe even lower
don't trust your life to a 45F bag .....

Grumble
02-15-2012, 05:36
The southern mountains are cold and wet. You'll need more top insulation.

Grits
02-15-2012, 06:24
Mothership thru hiked last year with a WBBB and said she would take some type of light weight pad so that she could go to ground or shelter when needed. I agree with the TQ to start.

Grinder
02-15-2012, 08:49
the weather on the southern trail is highly variable.

My second hike, I took a very light bag, augmented with a poncho liner.I was shivering cold all night on a 30 ish degree night windy ridge where I hung.

The next night I slept in a shelter and used my hammock for an extra layer of bedding. That was warm.

The next year, I got a down 24 degree down bag and pushed the start of my annual section hike into April to avoid the cold.

Guess what?? 17 degrees when a northern storm came rushing through. I was chilly all night in a shelter.

I think your proposed setup will keep you from dying, but you will probably be uncomfortable a night or two in there.

kayak karl
02-15-2012, 09:00
the lowest temp i saw in Feb was 0 degrees. i had a JRB Mt. Wash. 4 and 0 degree go-lite bag. i was fine. Jan i saw -5.
as someone said its wet and cold. 40 degrees, walking in rain, sleet at 2pm and snow by 4pm and a 20 degree nite.
only advice i can give is stay DRY and have good hand and foot ware.

Mr.Tattoo
02-15-2012, 12:28
Thank you all for the advice!

dakotaross
02-15-2012, 12:39
Are you taking a puffy jacket? Down booties? Warm hat? If so, you can wear all of that and probably get by. Might also need a pad for your feet. Keep yourself warm with a hot water bottle between your thighs, and you're probably good.

This is for what you might normally experience late Feb. Like others have said, you'll probably be cold as hell on the few abnormal nights, like what we had last weekend.

FPO
02-15-2012, 14:37
Good advice on the stay dry mantra. Cold hands equal cold nights for me.

BillyBob58
02-15-2012, 14:59
have a ridgerest pad . darn was hoping the down 45 bag would work with layering.O well lol

Are you taking a puffy jacket? Down booties? Warm hat? If so, you can wear all of that and probably get by. Might also need a pad for your feet. Keep yourself warm with a hot water bottle between your thighs, and you're probably good.

This is for what you might normally experience late Feb. Like others have said, you'll probably be cold as hell on the few abnormal nights, like what we had last weekend.

The perfectly dry 45F bag WILL work with layering, to MUCH colder temps. But that of course raises the question: what layers? How puffy are your puffy jacket and pants and hood? Are you skilled in the use of a vapor barrier, and willing to use one? If so, that can get you a bunch of degrees plus help keep your puffy stuff much drier and puffier. The colder it is, the more a VB will benefit you, or at least it does me. Same with that 3 season Yeti, it will not cut it at zero and maybe not at 15-20 for some. ( isn't that rated at 30? or used to be) EDIT: nope, my error, I see it is rated 20-25 with 1.5" baffles- (actual loft is? must be more than 1.5"). But again, a VB or combi VB/reflective layer will get you 10 - 20 more degrees with that Yeti and keep it drier for the long haul. But at those kinds of temps you are probably going to have to add a torso pad, which will also serve as a VB.

Don't know what you are willing to buy/add, but an IX sock would probably give a big boost to your entire system, plus add significant wind blocking to the whole shebang.

But a 45F bag combined with a 3 season UQ at temps from 0-20F is going to leave you shivering, unless you can significantly augment both. Unless you are maybe one of the worlds warmest sleepers? Some folks won't be warm in a 45* bag alone at 45, and it is dang few that are going to be warm below 30. Although, if your UQ is warm enough and your 45 top bag is at least accurately rated, you probably can go a fair bit lower than 45 on top. That bottom hammock insulation is probably the most important.

And don't forget the wind or rain. If you can't block both of those, you will be in trouble even at 45, and serious trouble at 0-20.

Mr.Tattoo
02-15-2012, 18:51
Yes i will be taking down jacket,pants,hat and down mittens gonna just get the 0 degree top quilt from warbonnet just to be safe would rather carry the 20degree top quilt but not sure if it will be enough tring to keep my pack weight as low as possible.

affreeman
02-16-2012, 12:31
I started my thru-hike on 3/18/09. Used a 20 degree bag from Springer to Pearisburg, then a 32 degree bag from Pearisburg to Glencliff, and then 20 degree bag again until Katahdin. This was in conjunction with my HH w/supershelter underpad and undercover, which I supplemented with my down parka on colder nights.

Even starting in mid-March there were plenty of nights down to freezing or a bit below, including a 2-day snow storm in the Smokies.

Doctari
02-16-2012, 12:47
Not to be too nosy, but this may help with your decision> are you a Florida Native? More accurately I guess, have you been a resident of sub tropical areas for a long time, say over 10 years?
The reason I ask; one of my hiking partners is a S Florida native, in temps where I'm considering going swimming, he is wearing a (to me) winter coat & shivvvvvvering! Our window where we can both go hiking is very tiny, as his temperature range for sleeping comfortably, with a 30 degree bag & etc, is about 50. With your 40 degree bag, he could likely get to about 70, 60 if wearing all of his clothing.

Granted, I wear a tee & kilt down to around 35 & am comfortable, so YMMV. But then general opinion is that I am Weird. A Feb start, in the mountains, very north of your home, I got to say: Even I don't carry a quilt with that low of an R value.

Note: Hi Matt, if I'm wrong, step in & say so. :D

Mr.Tattoo
02-16-2012, 13:56
Doctari yes I am a florida native but a pretty warm sleeper have slept in 32 weather with a 40 bag and was toasty but wanna be safe on the trail have decided to order a winter yeti underquilt and winter mamba topquilt to be safe in the colder times on the trail then i will swap out with my 3 season gear when the weather gets warmer.

BillyBob58
02-16-2012, 16:55
Doctari yes I am a florida native but a pretty warm sleeper have slept in 32 weather with a 40 bag and was toasty but wanna be safe on the trail have decided to order a winter yeti underquilt and winter mamba topquilt to be safe in the colder times on the trail then i will swap out with my 3 season gear when the weather gets warmer.

That ought to do it, along with good rain/wind protection!

Mr.Tattoo
02-16-2012, 17:06
Already have a superfly tarp already that seems to work well for the rain/wind I really like the warbonnet products seem very well made and I feel the prices are good to.

Mr.Tattoo
02-17-2012, 23:26
I wanna thank you all for your help on this issue. this site is great.stay tuned sure I will have more questions.

Justice
02-18-2012, 14:32
i started my thru hike from springer on jan 3rd this yr. i just came off the trail at fontana **** to order a hammock and take care of some business. i am headed back this sunday. it was 3 degrees w/out windchill the first 2 nights. i think you will be ok except for the 45 degree bag. just remember that if it is to cold at night then walk thru the night and sleep during the warmer days. even with that it is just to foggy to walk at night sometimes. dont count on a fire. everything has been soaked for the most part. i am new to hammocking and this will be a trial by fire with me but i have spent a lot of time in the woods so i am confident that if i under equip for winter sleeping i can still survive it. if you are not experienced in the woods or with hiking long distances then you might want to go with a warmer TQ.

Justice
02-18-2012, 14:43
the bottom line is this... there is comfort in camp and there is comfort while hiking. you dont get to have the best of both. often you have to pick one or the other. the trick is finding a balance. if you want to save weight at the cost of being cold then your good. just make sure you dont go so far with saving weight that you are dangerously cold. its ok to be uncomfortably cold sleeping. thats acceptable for me. ill take the trade off. but if you are doing this alone as i am then you have to walk that fine line carefully. you really can freeze to death this time of year if you are alone. be careful and good luck.

Justice
02-18-2012, 15:00
one more thing from me then i will shut up. if you are alone you should think of the worst case senario. its very cold and wet and you are injured to bad to walk / you fall in a stream / whatever... ask yourself "will my cold weather gear keep me from freezing to death til someone comes along?" (i have went days without seeing any dayhikers). mine isnt but it is a risk but many of us take it. i just have to remember to not get hurt. lol. seriously, if your answer is no then just be aware and be extra careful. ok thats all i got and i am just a dummy anyway. have fun

Mr.Tattoo
02-18-2012, 16:50
HM Murdock thanks for the info I am going alone so I am going to play it safe just ordered the 0degree yeti underquilt gonna save a lil more $ and get the winter mamba topquilt. better to be safe then sorry I can mail the heavier stuff home when the weather warms.

Justice
02-18-2012, 20:06
that is a good idea. i have the usgi sleep system. i had an extra winter weight portion so i cut it and made a UQ with it. i gotta say, i know sythetic is better in wet conditions but it is just to heavy and takes up way to much room. when i can afford it i will order the right TQ and UQ. good luck to ya.

G.L.P.
02-18-2012, 20:18
one more thing from me then i will shut up. if you are alone you should think of the worst case senario. its very cold and wet and you are injured to bad to walk / you fall in a stream / whatever... ask yourself "will my cold weather gear keep me from freezing to death til someone comes along?" (i have went days without seeing any dayhikers). mine isnt but it is a risk but many of us take it. i just have to remember to not get hurt. lol. seriously, if your answer is no then just be aware and be extra careful. ok thats all i got and i am just a dummy anyway. have fun

best advice so far... and your right thats why i tell people wanting to thru just to get a good 3 season or better TQ and NOT a 40F and try to stay warm with layers too much can go wrong fast like you said with a 40F bag in 20F weather what if your puffy coat gets wet.. your pretty much out of luck then doing the 40F bag and layers is good for overnights and weekend trips but not for a thru hike where your far away from home and warm shelter
like i told another do you want to spend your night trying to stay warm or be warm ... after 16+ miles for me it's be warm

HM Murdock thanks for the info I am going alone so I am going to play it safe just ordered the 0degree yeti underquilt gonna save a lil more $ and get the winter mamba topquilt. better to be safe then sorry I can mail the heavier stuff home when the weather warms.

i think it's the smart choice to go with a good TQ and not rely on layers for warmth .... you will see rain a lot on the AT here on the east coast we get rain and it can rain for days and be COLD and snow i seen snow in April a few times we have some wacky weather on the east coast :rolleyes:.... be safe and let us know your ok and Have Fun :D

Cut Up
02-24-2012, 23:32
Is there a real benefit of the TQ vs the SB. Would'nt a +15 or +20 SB be better if you go to ground. Price is fairly equal on both so I was looking at using a Therma Rest Ridge Rest Solite with the SB. Any Help would be appreciated.

Catavarie
02-25-2012, 00:33
Most people just find a TQ easier to use in a hammock. You can also take the TQ to ground with a pad. If you want to use a pad in a hammock look at making a SPE to help keep your shoulders and ships warm as well. But if you ask mo0st of the people here who have done the AT with a hammock they will likely tell you that you never need to go to ground. They don't call it the green tunnel for nuthin' :laugh: