PDA

View Full Version : Moderator Editing/Deleting posts

NCPatrick
06-14-2008, 16:38
Today I went looking for some of my posts and discovered they were missing.

Not really fond of changing the nature of a discussion by stealth.

Come right out and say what you deleted and why you did it. That way we'll all know the rules and will be more likely to follow them.

If there's a danger we'll be censored if we broach certain topics, we should all know that up front.

Lost
06-14-2008, 16:54
Geez Patric, didn't realize your post were that controversial! What's that all about. See that often on WB, but then it's usually needed there. Not sure I can recall any here other than someone's alter ego one time.

NCPatrick
06-14-2008, 16:56
That's my opinion of the place too. I think we're extremely family friendly. Certainly nothing here that would call for the "nuclear option" of deleting posts.

angrysparrow
06-14-2008, 18:54
Can you provide any info of what topic or thread you are talking about? I'm not aware of any posts being deleted, and I'm as curious about it as you are.

Ramblinrev
06-14-2008, 19:06
I noticed some posts deleted from the "Central Park" thread.

FanaticFringer
06-14-2008, 19:10
I noticed some posts deleted from the "Central Park" thread.

Yep the one about "Protection" got deleted.

daibutsu
06-14-2008, 19:45
tell me now if deleting posts will be a trend.

attroll
06-14-2008, 20:56
I did not delete any posts I have not been home all day. One of the other moderators will have to chime in and explain.

pedro
06-14-2008, 21:00
There were a couple of my posts deleted from that thread, as well as some from other members. I can understand if something is considered to be offensive by someone with different values than myself, and I treated it as I would if I were speaking to someone in person; I apologized. I would like to have some feedback from a moderator when a post of mine is deleted.

Ramblinrev
06-14-2008, 21:10
I personaly did not find them overtly "family unfriendly" but I don't think they added anything much to the thread either. I was called on for putting a post in the wrong category, I can see the point. I get annoyed at having to wade through some posts that just don't add to the point of the thread. Particularly when they are supposed to humorous but the humor escapes me. Sometimes I think it is a matter of continuity rather than censorship. But I do think the moderator would be appropriate to notify the person whose post is pulled.

pedro
06-14-2008, 21:28
I personaly did not find them overtly "family unfriendly" but I don't think they added anything much to the thread either. I was called on for putting a post in the wrong category, I can see the point. I get annoyed at having to wade through some posts that just don't add to the point of the thread. Particularly when they are supposed to humorous but the humor escapes me. Sometimes I think it is a matter of continuity rather than censorship. But I do think the moderator would be appropriate to notify the person whose post is pulled.

You're absolutely right! I am as guilty as the next person of going off topic. I really need to watch that. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I hope that going off topic is the reason why our posts were pulled.

slowhike
06-14-2008, 22:02
Sorry guys. I just got back in.
What happened was that 4D's kids had started a thread about an upcoming family trip to central park & after I mentioned that from all I had herd about CP (from TV of course), that it could be a dangerous place to hang a hammock & suggested he may need to have some protection w/ him.

I should have known better than to use the word "protection" because some started to talk about another kind of protection rather than a gun, stick, or knife like I had in mind.

I also added that the best kind of protection for what they were talking about was to "run".

4Ds is right though in that we have tried to keep this a "family friendly" web site.
I have said that myself & I didn't do so well there. So I have to apologize to 4Ds & his family.

Headchange4U had saw this earlier & had deleted some of the "protection" posts because 4Ds had let us know that he wasn't going to let his kids go back & read the thread they had started.

Deleting some of the posts may go against some people's grain, but please try to understand the whole picture.

I have said it before that "I would like this to be a site that I wouldn't mind inviting my nephews & nieces to check out", so again, I apologize to 4Ds & his family. ...Tim

kayak karl
06-15-2008, 09:31
Today I went looking for some of my posts and discovered they were missing. ....we'll be censored if we broach certain topics, we should all know that up front.
What a thread about deleted posts and no name calling, posts of symbols an astrices, smilies beating each other up and distorted definitions of our first admendment rights:confused:. im going back to WB:D

GOOD SITE, Really:)

Happy Fathers Day:)

Lost
06-15-2008, 09:37
Very good points in your explaination Slowhike. Speaking for myself, I think you do a great/thankless job with the moderation, and HC4U and AngrySparrow have been great additions.

I, too, want this forum to remain on a more family friendly format. I just think it would be good practice to PM people that their post are being deleted (with explainaton) so that this kind of stuff does not come out in the public formums and paint a bad picture of what we have going here. Another option would be to move the thread to donating members only.

As far as getting off topic, very few post don't stray form topic eventually! In my opinion, that's a lot of how we all get to know each other better and have a little fun! Plus, we all know it drives the moderators crazy:D Keep up the good work and we'll try to play nice.;)

headchange4u
06-15-2008, 17:48
Sorry for the delay in responding. I was the one who deleted the posts in the "Central Park" thread because 4D's had said the the direction the conversation had taken had created a somewhat awkward situation with having to explain some of the comments to his family and children who were following the thread. 4D's response (which I also removed) expressed that he was not at all pleased with having to explain the innuendo in the thread to children.

At first I just removed the comments that weren't family/child friendly. I even posted a comment explaining why the edits were made. I then decided that since the thread was about hanging in Central Park, that I would remove any and all comments not related to hanging in Central Park, including original comments, apologies that some made, my comments, and 4D's comment on being displeased.

The posts are still there, but they were effectively removed from view. I apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes or made anyone mad. I made a decision and I'm gonna stick to it. If it is a thread that young children will be reading, and I don't think I acted inappropriately.

Coffee
06-15-2008, 18:20
Sounds like everyone needs to cut down on the PC time and actually get out and use their hammocks.

NCPatrick
06-15-2008, 18:27
The posts are still there, but they were effectively removed from view. I apologize if I stepped on anyone's toes or made anyone mad. I made a decision and I'm gonna stick to it. If it is a thread that young children will be reading, and I don't think I acted inappropriately.

I'm not saying that it was an inappropriate response. But it was unprecedented and without warning or even an explanation (until now).

Thank you for posting your reasoning. We're all adults here, and friends too, for the most part. I think we can be given the benefit of the doubt that we can deal with things amongst ourselves in an acceptable way, as we always have in the past, when given the chance.

Maybe if it happens again, you could (with some warning) edit out the text of the posts.

To me the LAST RESORT option here (the "nuclear option") would be to delete the posts, but that shouldn't be the first option.

BTW, I think I did apologize to 4D's for any inappropriate comments, but that post is now not visible.

NCPatrick
06-15-2008, 18:29
Yeah, looking forward to some quality hammock time soon. Thanks for reminding me of what's really important Coffee.

daibutsu
06-15-2008, 18:34
How would you moderators, while bonding with your kids, sharing in HF's esoteric nature explain " frikkin' " (for instance)? What does that allude to? How does one explain that? Why does one need to with Cable TV?

You guys, all, do a great job and I thank you immensely, but kowtowing to some abstract irritation ain't the answer. We'd all be better off just using good English.

canoebie
06-15-2008, 18:38
Gotta say gang, as a relative newbie and a contributing member, I am impressed with both the tone and content of this thread. Way to keep priorities straight, listen, and be respectful. This thread is another reason I am glad to spend some PC time here and get more and more excited about hanging.

BTW, my wife and I are hanging full time now, sleeping in our Claytor JH's on the front porch. Now been nearly two weeks since we have been in our waterbed. Been so dang hot here on occasion, we refuse to use AC for environmental reasons, unplugged the water bed for the same reason, and now we are every night in our hammocks side by side. I am gonna get in mine kinda late tonight though, gotta watch the Celtics win it all in 5. (smile)
With the exception of the NBA playoffs, we have also shut the television off for the summer.

Again, thanks for the opportunity moderators to be part of this group.

David

headchange4u
06-15-2008, 19:25
I'm not saying that it was an inappropriate response. But it was unprecedented and without warning or even an explanation (until now).

Thank you for posting your reasoning. We're all adults here, and friends too, for the most part. I think we can be given the benefit of the doubt that we can deal with things amongst ourselves in an acceptable way, as we always have in the past, when given the chance.

Maybe if it happens again, you could (with some warning) edit out the text of the posts.

To me the LAST RESORT option here (the "nuclear option") would be to delete the posts, but that shouldn't be the first option.

BTW, I think I did apologize to 4D's for any inappropriate comments, but that post is now not visible.

This was also the first time I have ever edited it posts in such a way. This type of editing for me is a last resort. Maybe I should have just removed the offending comments, left my explanation and apologies from you and others. That would be my normal course of action. For some reason it just seemed to me, that the best course of action, in this particular situation, was to remove the comments and the discussion related to them.

As you said NCPatrick, we are all friends here and I meant no malice to anyone.

Coffee
06-15-2008, 19:33
I think in dealings like these our group has a big advantage over other online sites. We have a lot of hangouts. I have met a decent amount of the core group of people here. For the most part everyone knows everyone else is just joking around and trying to have fun. I haven't met a single person here that I wouldn't hike with.

OldnSlow
06-15-2008, 20:03
I know I haven't posted a lot, but in reading all the posts I have read, I have come to the realization that by and large, the regulars in this group do not want to harm, or offend anyone. I think this thread is a prime example of how people can be aware of other's requirements, and even if we step over the line a little, are quick to respond with decency and caring....Just what I like best about this electronic community.

John

NCPatrick
06-15-2008, 20:39
I guess hammocks have that relaxing effect on people... :D

6 feet over
06-15-2008, 21:56
I understand being unhappy with deleted posts, but I’m also VERY supportive of being aggressive in keeping this site G rated. Honestly, what are we really losing by being circumspect about our posts? There are countless sites that have lower standards, and few are as good as this one.

Being a moderator is kind of like being a ref at a sports event; under the best of circumstances, half the people are mad at you. I think this group does a fine job. Who among us hasn’t both straightened out someone, and also been straightened out? It’s no big deal, Coffee’s on the right track.

Youngblood
06-16-2008, 10:45
I don't see a problem with the moderation. I has to be a tough job as we all see thing differently at times. Keeping things PG rated is important and should be respected. Sometimes everyone won't agree with what is inappropriate and what isn't, but someone has to make that decision and it is probably best on this type of forum to error on being too strict with it than too lenient.

Ramblinrev
06-16-2008, 11:12
I don't see a problem with the moderation. I has to be a tough job as we all see thing differently at times. Keeping things PG rated is important and should be respected. Sometimes everyone won't agree with what is inappropriate and what isn't, but someone has to make that decision and it is probably best on this type of forum to error on being too strict with it than too lenient.

The issue of where to draw the line uis complicated even more by things far beyond the control of the moderators or even the posters. Maybe it is because I work with addicts in general, sexual addicts in particular but I must say I find the "erectile dysfunction" ads during the super bowl far more intrusive and family unfriendly than anything I have seen here.

I do not make a statement about what should or should not offend anyone. But with condoms being displayed at the grocery checkout counters and the ads on TV I have found it nearly impossible to avoid exposure to kids of more "mature" topics.

I _know_ my kids were exposed to some of those issues at a much earlier age than others simply because of the work I do. That doesn't make it right. Bit it does take the edge of embarrassment off when one of them asks the inevitable questions. Try explaining erectile dysfunction to an 8 year old. hehehe. Plus my youngest is getting ready to leave home in a year or so. The topics can just get even tougher and more complicated.

In any event, I think the moderators here are first class. It is not the easiest thing to do.

Coffee
06-16-2008, 13:32
The issue of where to draw the line uis complicated even more by things far beyond the control of the moderators or even the posters. Maybe it is because I work with addicts in general, sexual addicts in particular but I must say I find the "erectile dysfunction" ads during the super bowl far more intrusive and family unfriendly than anything I have seen here.

I do not make a statement about what should or should not offend anyone. But with condoms being displayed at the grocery checkout counters and the ads on TV I have found it nearly impossible to avoid exposure to kids of more "mature" topics.

I _know_ my kids were exposed to some of those issues at a much earlier age than others simply because of the work I do. That doesn't make it right. Bit it does take the edge of embarrassment off when one of them asks the inevitable questions. Try explaining erectile dysfunction to an 8 year old. hehehe. Plus my youngest is getting ready to leave home in a year or so. The topics can just get even tougher and more complicated.

In any event, I think the moderators here are first class. It is not the easiest thing to do.

Well put. I am never ceased to be amazed by the diverse backgrounds of everyone here and in hiking in general.

slowhike
06-16-2008, 15:01
Yeah, it's sad to say but we can't use TV as a guide<g>.
It's gettin more & more embarrassing to watch TV w/ my mom... not only the content in the shows, but the commercials too:eek:
Good thing I'm watching less & less TV:)

QChan
06-16-2008, 15:26
I realize issue is over and dealt with but just an idea for the future...

When a mod or admin edits or deletes a post/thread they could 1. pm the person who made the post originally so that they are aware that what they wrote is considered inappropriate, and also say that they have an opportunity to explain themselves if they feel they need to(It is easy to say all of this without being abrasive and/or demeaning) and 2. leave a post in said thread saying that the post/thread was edited/deleted because of content, or however you feel like wording it. If a whole thread is deleted, a new thread should be made explaining, so that other members are made aware and don't jump to conclusions of "Moderators being unfair".

I'm not sure if the moderating team here will like this idea, but it's just a thought.

Nightwalker
06-21-2008, 14:23
im going back to WB:D

Not me. The bozos have stolen that site from Troll and Rock. I feel really bad for them. It seems that they're fighting a losing battle that they don't even deserve to have to fight in the first place. :(

Nightwalker
06-21-2008, 14:24
Sounds like everyone needs to cut down on the PC time and actually get out and use their hammocks.

Not fair. Just got back!

attroll
06-21-2008, 16:16
Not me. The bozos have stolen that site from Troll and Rock. I feel really bad for them. It seems that they're fighting a losing battle that they don't even deserve to have to fight in the first place. :(
Yes and we know who the Bozo's are that you talking about. Not going to say any names but it is really aggravating. Were stuck between ad rock and a hard spot.

Nightwalker
06-22-2008, 15:01
Yes and we know who the Bozo's are that you talking about. Not going to say any names but it is really aggravating. Were stuck between ad rock and a hard spot.

I'll bet that you miss the "old days" even worse than I do.

You've always been my internet hero, Troll. :)

Skipper
06-22-2008, 16:54
I looked around and found no guidelines as to what is acceptable to post here. Perhaps some guidelines as to acceptable language, flaming, politics, etc. would solve the problem? I also agree that communication when posts are culled would be helpful.

BTW, thank you mods for the work you do. It is a lot of work and as someone said, as with refs you can't please everyone. Though I'm a newbie, I love this place.

Coffee
06-22-2008, 17:16
I looked around and found no guidelines as to what is acceptable to post here. Perhaps some guidelines as to acceptable language, flaming, politics, etc. would solve the problem? I also agree that communication when posts are culled would be helpful.

BTW, thank you mods for the work you do. It is a lot of work and as someone said, as with refs you can't please everyone. Though I'm a newbie, I love this place.

Good idea. I know TV and movies isn't the best guideline. But for a start we could link up and use what is allowed for a PG rating. I think most people get exposed to that rating anyways.

I agree too on WB. I usually just check it and chime on on DIY stuff or if someone has southbound questions. It bugs me all the bad advice going on, or people just talking to talk without anything to really say.