PDA

View Full Version : Skeeter Beeter Pro Arrived

cavscout
06-16-2008, 11:45
Not much to say at this point but wanted to chime in on the new hammock.

Purchased the Camo SB Pro for my son and I to use on his cub scout camp outs. I want to teach him "best hiking practices" from the start rather than doing too much of the car camping techniques.

I'm very pleased with the standard setup. We set up one of the hammocks on the kids play set yesterday and gave it a test hang. The distance wasn't quite right to get the hang I needed but it was good enough to let the kids see what Dad's been talking about. At 10' x 5' there's plenty of room. They all liked the comfort of the hammock. I just need to get a couple of camo tarps. I've been eyeing the Gear Guide tarps but the camo's appear to be out of stock currently so I'll need to give them a call for an ETA. I really like the tarp configuration shown in these pics

http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayDry/Neo-SG9x9-Digital.jpg

http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStayDry/TarpChetsSetup2.jpg

I'll replace the S-hooks with biners and will swap out the rope huggers with 1" webbing.

The weight of the hammock w/ S-hooks, 2 - 'biners, tree huggers, and net ridge lines came out to 1 lb. 8.3 oz.

The tan netting is not overly difficult to see thru but I can imagine that black netting would be much easier, but not a big deal at this price point.

Another feature I was not expecting on this model (I had heard it mentioned on the UL) is that you can remove the S-Hook strap that binds the ends of the hammock and spread the hammock into a ground cloth or tarp or shoot, even a bivy with the bug net.

As a first impression, I'm really happy with this hammock. Now just need to plan a weekend hang to really put it through it's paces. Once I get the tension and sag right I think it will be a great way to camp.

neo
06-16-2008, 12:33

Purchased the Camo SB Pro for my son and I to use on his cub scout camp outs. I want to teach him "best hiking practices" from the start rather than doing too much of the car camping techniques.

I'm very pleased with the standard setup. We set up one of the hammocks on the kids pay set yesterday and gave it a test hang. The distance wasn't quite right to get the hang I needed but it was good enough to let the kids see what Dad's been talking about. At 10' x 5' there's plenty of room. They all liked the comfort of the hammock. I just need to get a couple of camo tarps. I've been eyeing the Gear Guide tarps but the camo's appear to be out of stock currently so I'll need to give them a call for an ETA. I really like the tarp configuration shown in these pics

I'll replace the S-hooks with biners and will swap out the rope huggers with 1" webbing.

The weight of the hammock w/ S-hooks, 2 - 'biners, tree huggers, and net ridge lines came out to 1 lb. 8.3 oz.

The tan netting is not overly difficult to see thru but I can imagine that black netting would be much easier, but not a big deal at this price point.

Another feature I was not expecting on this model (I had heard it mentioned on the UL) is that you can remove the S-Hook strap that binds the ends of the hammock and spread the hammock into a ground cloth or tarp or shoot, even a bivy with the bug net.

As a first impression, I'm really happy with this hammock. Now just need to plan a weekend hang to really put it through it's paces. Once I get the tension and sag right I think it will be a great way to camp.

the picture at the top is one of my pics,i have even seen taht pic of jeffs page lol:cool:neo

S3ymour
06-16-2008, 15:53
According to thetravelhammocks.com the skeeter beeter pro does not come in camo...if you got one in camo I'm going to be jealous!! lol. Only the skeeter beeter is listed as coming in camo...

FanaticFringer
06-16-2008, 15:58
Awhile back it found out that Sportsmans Guide would not be making any more of their tarps in camo. If it has changed that would be great.

cavscout
06-16-2008, 16:36
According to thetravelhammocks.com the skeeter beeter pro does not come in camo...if you got one in camo I'm going to be jealous!! lol. Only the skeeter beeter is listed as coming in camo...

Hmm, I got in on the altrec deal a couple weeks ago and they advertised it as the SB Pro. The receipt even says it's the pro - camo green. I guess I'll have to measure it to determine if it actually is the Pro.

Awhile back it found out that Sportsmans Guide would not be making any more of their tarps in camo. If it has changed that would be great. Oooo, that's not good. I called them today and they said they did not show an open back order on them and if they were to be getting anymore that their web site would show it with an expected in stock date. Other things I've been reading today though also make me think you are right. I've been eyeing the 13'x9'9" tarp from mosquito hammock (http://www.mosquitohammock.com/rainfly3x4.html) as an alternative. I'd really like to be able to have the ability to fold the ends in to close off the tarp.

Anyone have any other leads on nylon camo tarps? otherwise it will proabbaly come down to the campmor or the mosquito hammock tarp.

jeffjenn
06-16-2008, 20:14
There is a pic of the SB Pro in camo on The Travel Hammock site.
http://www.thetravelhammock.com/image/product_large/skeeter_beeter2.jpg

Although it is now gone from the Altrec site.

cavscout
06-17-2008, 06:55
I had seen that photo as well, but they also use it on the SB page as well so it appears to be just a stock zipper photo.

I measured the hammock and from end of S-hook to end of S-hook is 9'6". Minus 1' and that's the size of the actual hammock.

The label on the bag just says Skeeter Beater. No "Pro".

Looks like I'll be on the phone with Altrec today to try and sort it out. The real issue is the load capacity. I'm not a small guy and I'm at the top end of the 250 pound capacity on the SB. The 400 pound capacity of the SB Pro should ensure I don't wake up on the ground at some point due to ripping through.

Ramblinrev
06-17-2008, 07:04
I tried spending the night in my daughter's skeeter-beeter and was not successful. Part of the problem was I had the wrong sleeping bag, but the bigger problem was it was just simply too small for me. I am pushing the rated weight limit for that hammock and I need more room. I like it but I like the roomieness of my HH Safari Deluxe better. One nice thing is that I did not experience any post hang droop with the Skeeter beeter. Once it is hung it stays put without the learning curve of the HH. I'd like to try the pro sometime and compare the two.

I did get to test the ATHH as a tarp. That was a good thing but thatis for the review.

jeffjenn
06-17-2008, 08:58
I had seen that photo as well, but they also use it on the SB page as well so it appears to be just a stock zipper photo.

I measured the hammock and from end of S-hook to end of S-hook is 9'6". Minus 1' and that's the size of the actual hammock.

The label on the bag just says Skeeter Beater. No "Pro".

Looks like I'll be on the phone with Altrec today to try and sort it out. The real issue is the load capacity. I'm not a small guy and I'm at the top end of the 250 pound capacity on the SB. The 400 pound capacity of the SB Pro should ensure I don't wake up on the ground at some point due to ripping through.

Look for the little white tag on the inside of the attached stuffsack. It should have the weight rating on it.

cavscout
06-18-2008, 13:08
Update: In speaking with Altrec we determined that even though my invoice showed "Pro" in Camo Green what they really sent me was the UL Skeeter Beeter. So, in the interest of not over loading the hammock I'm returning the camo (which I hate to do) and getting the Olive/Kahki Pro model.

Altrec responded fairly with the exchange. They sent me a return label for postage paid and are shipping out the Pro hammocks with expedited shipping so I should have them this week hopefully. So Kudos to Altrec on service and response.

In the long run, it will be easier to find coordinating tarps with the olive color and I will sleep better knowing the odds are in my favor not to end up on the ground.

rigidpsycho
06-18-2008, 13:36
I like my skeeter beeter pro so far with the backyard hangs I've done. I'm going to remove the s-hooks as well here soon and replace with rings.

S3ymour
06-18-2008, 14:07
Glad to hear they got things straightened out for you.

cavscout
06-20-2008, 10:50
This is probably a "no-brainer" to most but I thought I'd add it to my evolving thread about my hammock progression.

Looking at FishinFinn's photos of the ATHH and the S-Hook reminded me about the weight savings to be gained by replacing the S-Hooks with wire 'bener's. I didn't bother weighing them but there was a noticeable difference in weight between the hook and the 'bener. The rope also will not be damaged the way his photos show using the 'bener since you can achieve a nice smooth larks head. I'm not a gram counter type of camper but if you are you'll save an noticeable amount of weight with this switch.

jeffjenn
06-20-2008, 12:29
The S-hooks weigh in at approx .96oz each.
The blue hanging ropes are approx 1.3oz each.
The black ropes that attach the S-hooks to the hammock are approx .45oz each.

BigT54
03-28-2010, 18:14
Hey I have a SB and I like it fine, some say they are not good. Mine is great but I have nothing to compare to. Have a look at my Video. yKRKGymzlyY

I'm very pleased with the standard setup. We set up one of the hammocks on the kids play set yesterday and gave it a test hang. The distance wasn't quite right to get the hang I needed but it was good enough to let the kids see what Dad's been talking about. At 10' x 5' there's plenty of room. They all liked the comfort of the hammock. I just need to get a couple of camo tarps. I've been eyeing the Gear Guide tarps but the camo's appear to be out of stock currently so I'll need to give them a call for an ETA. I really like the tarp configuration shown in these pics