PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A Green CCF Pad.

headchange4u
06-18-2008, 09:00
Well, I left my blue Walmart CCF sit/torso pad sitting out in my spare bedroom so that I would remember to wash some of the dirt off of it after my last outing. It seems that one of my cats decided that it was just what it needed to sharpen it's claws and chew on. It was a horrible scene to be sure; little bits of blue CCF strewn all over the floor and the pad torn almost completely to shreds. Just like Sherlock Holmes or Detective Goren, I will find the culprit responsible by the hairballs and cat turds flecked with blue foam.:p:D

Anyway, I'm in the market to pick up a new CCF pad. I was getting ready to head to WalMart and pick up another blue CCF pad but I have decided that I would like to have a bit wider pad in a green color, if I can find one. I would like it to me the same thickness of the WM pad (3/8" ???) and about 25-26" wide instead of the 20" WM pad. Since it's just gonna be mainly a sit pad it doesn't have to be that long.

Anyone know where I can get a pad like that?

Coffee
06-18-2008, 09:22
Being the lover of all gear and clothing from the military that I am, I would try the surplus stores or websites.

NCPatrick
06-18-2008, 10:00
I had to make a "situpon" for my 8 yr. old daughter. I ended up cutting a blue CCF just big enough to be a sit pad and then made a sort of pillowcase for it out of silnylon (black) and PU coated nylon (Gray green). It turned out so well that I may take hers and make her another out of more girl-friendly colors.

I was asking you at RRG about the same green CCF, and I thought someone said that Army Surplus stores might carry them. (and I thought it was you). :confused:

The pad gets rolled up, put inside the "pillowcase", and unrolled once inside. A lip on the opening keeps the pad secure, it is measured to fit exactly and is very snug.

This sounds like a lot of trouble, but it's not.

headchange4u
06-18-2008, 10:07
I had to make a "situpon" for my 8 yr. old daughter. I ended up cutting a blue CCF just big enough to be a sit pad and then made a sort of pillowcase for it out of silnylon (black) and PU coated nylon (Gray green). It turned out so well that I may take hers and make her another out of more girl-friendly colors.

I was asking you at RRG about the same green CCF, and I thought someone said that Army Surplus stores might carry them. (and I thought it was you). :confused:

I remembered our conversation on at the RRG and that's one of the main reasons I'm looking for green. I also want something a little wider. I may have mention military surplus store, but they have all closed down in my area. It looks like if I'm gonna get the green it going to be an internet order. If I can find green I will probably just pick up a thicker Gossamer Gear or Oware pad in gray.

NCPatrick
06-18-2008, 10:09
Well, let us know where you find any. I'd be interested in a green one too. Why are they all blue? :p Is blue cheaper to make than other colors?

headchange4u
06-18-2008, 10:13
Maybe I can find one about 70" long. If so I can cut it in half and we can split the pad, literally:p

NCPatrick
06-18-2008, 10:29
Sounds good to me. Let me know what you find. :) (although the situpon I made is pretty neato).

Coffee
06-18-2008, 10:33
Patrick, does you situpoun thingy give the sitpad a back? I am thinking about making something to slide my torso pad in to make it into a chair. Similar to the ones you see for people's ground pads. I'm getting more into lounging in camp.

Baerman
06-18-2008, 11:29
Try this for green ccf pad(3/8" x 24" x 72")

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-27977/Detail

Hard to tell exact shade of green in the picture

Baerman

GrizzlyAdams
06-18-2008, 11:31
Being the lover of all gear and clothing from the military that I am,

especially camo :D

(yes I did see that lump in your mouth caused by your tongue jammed into the cheek....)

Grizz

NCPatrick
06-18-2008, 12:19
Patrick, does you situpoun thingy give the sitpad a back?

No, but that's a good idea. For the cost of a couple more layers of nylon, I think you could make something like that.

I could attach another case like the first, and then maybe use some extra 1" strap to make the sides connect.

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard.

Lone Wolf
06-18-2008, 12:27
I bought a lot(6) of army ccf pads from ebay for next to nothing. You may want to check ebay.

I found this website that sells CCF in rolls. I was considering buying a bit and make a custom fit pad for my HH.

http://www.knoxfoam.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=33

Baerman
06-18-2008, 13:18
Here's another(77 x 30 x 0.63 inches)

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/767135?cm_re=pageContent*newest_productsNo4*Alps%2 0Mountaineering%20%20Alps%20Mountaineering%20Foam% 20Sleeping%20Mat%20%20X%20Large%20%20Special%20Buy

rigidpsycho
06-18-2008, 13:33
I may have mention military surplus store, but they have all closed down in my area.

There is one over off of Loudon Ave here in Lexington. Just opened up not too long ago. They bought all of the merchandise from the one that closed and opened up where they are. If you need directions HC4U just PM me and I'll let ya know.

headchange4u
06-18-2008, 13:51
There is one over off of Loudon Ave here in Lexington. Just opened up not too long ago. They bought all of the merchandise from the one that closed and opened up where they are. If you need directions HC4U just PM me and I'll let ya know.

That rocks. I knew that the surplus stores had closed, but I had no idea another one had opened. I will check them out next time in Lex. Do you know the name of the place? Is it close to where the old surplus store was located on Loudon Ave?

Baerman,

Thanks for the links. The first link is a Coleman brand pad. I may be able to get one at Target. If not, I now have a couple of sources. I will also check Ebay

BTW, welcome to Hammock Forums.

rigidpsycho
06-18-2008, 15:06
It is actually on loudon closer to Thorton's and Rite Aid. It is in the same building as the Wood Energy store(wood stove dealer) behind the Volunteers of America Thrift Store.

That rocks. I knew that the surplus stores had closed, but I had no idea another one had opened. I will check them out next time in Lex. Do you know the name of the place? Is it close to where the old surplus store was located on Loudon Ave?

Baerman,

Thanks for the links. The first link is a Coleman brand pad. I may be able to get one at Target. If not, I now have a couple of sources. I will also check Ebay

BTW, welcome to Hammock Forums.

Coffee
06-18-2008, 15:43
No, but that's a good idea. For the cost of a couple more layers of nylon, I think you could make something like that.

I could attach another case like the first, and then maybe use some extra 1" strap to make the sides connect.

Doesn't seem like it would be too hard.

That's what I was thinking. A couple layers of nylon and some extra webbing to hold the back in place.

headchange4u
06-18-2008, 16:10
It is actually on loudon closer to Thorton's and Rite Aid. It is in the same building as the Wood Energy store(wood stove dealer) behind the Volunteers of America Thrift Store.

I know right where you are talking about. It's right there near Loudon/Broadway intersection.

headchange4u
06-18-2008, 16:12
That's what I was thinking. A couple layers of nylon and some extra webbing to hold the back in place.

I have some friends that have a nylon cover that goes over a Thermarest pad and turns it into a chair. It even has some aluminum rods that helps give the back a little stiffness. It this something like that would be pretty to replicate in a DIY version.

koaloha05
06-18-2008, 22:29
"Green" ccf pad by Alps Mountaineering available at reioutlet. Just received a 25 x 77 x5/8" pad. Weighs 16oz (less than the manufacture stated 19.5oz) Rolls to ~8x25". The green is more of a lime green in color.

fin
06-18-2008, 22:32
I think this is your culprit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/Feb2608018.jpg

fin
06-18-2008, 22:34
I just saw green CCF pads at a store called Sherper's here in Milwaukee. I believe they wanted $6 apiece for them. Army surplus, I believe.

headchange4u
06-18-2008, 22:47
I think this is your culprit.

Radar looks like he could tear something up, but he is safe from persecution. He has been declawed and he's also a a big baby and would probably be frightened of the pad (you would be surprised what that cat is scared of). :p

schrochem
06-19-2008, 07:01
You might also try academy.
I believe they have a 'kelly' green type pad, but it's different than the walmart ccf pad. Heck, maybe it's not even closed cell....