PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight question

jbrianb
02-23-2012, 13:30
Ultralighters:
What would be the narrowest comfortable width you could "enjoy" for a hammock? The narrowest commercial product I've seen is about 48 inches.

Next question:
What would be the ideal length you would like to have when comfort and light BOTH matter?

I expect a lot of folks to have different answers. Getting light probably means sacrificing comfort and vice versa. Some folks are more concerned about light; others care about comfort. As such, the answers may be different. That's OK. Bring it on!

Thanks!

kayak karl
02-23-2012, 13:31
how tall are you?

BullFrog
02-23-2012, 13:41
how tall are you?

That's a good point. It comes down to personal preference, too. I'm about 6'2 and I couldn't get quite comfortable in 54". Now I have a 64" and it's bliss, but there are taller guys than me who can be comfy in a GT Nano at 48". I think it's the kind of thing everyone has to try out themselves.

G.L.P.
02-23-2012, 13:41
all depends on the persons taste and needs ....
"Getting light probably means sacrificing comfort and vice versa"
not really thats a Misconception being UL or going with UL gear does not mean you will be cold all the time or give up comfort ;) just need to find the right gear for the job and know your gear and it's limits
if you are trying to save weight and don't want to go with a narrow hammock you can always shave weight in other areas like your cooking kit,cloths,quilts
you name it there is some compromise just need to pick your poison as they say

jbrianb
02-23-2012, 13:45
I know it depends... lots of factors. I am asking what your preferences are. That's why I expect different answers. I have some numbers in mind that make sense for me, but I am curious what others think.

Tradeoffs are part of life. I realize that. What I am willing to trade off for weight or comfort may not match others... It's all good. Again, just curious what others' views are.

For purposes of this argument, assume ideal conditions... 75 degree nights, warm days.

BullFrog
02-23-2012, 13:47
I love my 64", but I think I could be quite comfy in 60" too. 54" was just a bit too narrow for me.

kayak karl
02-23-2012, 13:53
mine is 11'9"- 64"

MAD777
02-23-2012, 13:55
I came to hammocking from an ultralight background looking for comfort.
In my mind, having a hammock that's too small defeats the purpose and will only save a couple of ounces. I still weigh the rest of my kit in grams.

Having said that, I don't think there is a singular answer to you question; and it's not because folks have individual opinions. I own three commercial hammocks and have made four DIY's. The two most comfortable ones are 48" wide and 67" wide - go figure!

I start out making my hammocks 11' long and generally find them comfy. However, just this past weekend, I made one out of crinkly parachute material and had to keep cutting the length down to get it comfortable and ended up with a 10'-4" hammock - go figure, again!

I'm becoming a believer that the material plays a very important roll in comfort, not just size. This Grasshopper is still learning the mysteries of hammocks ;)

G.L.P.
02-23-2012, 13:57
i like wide myself as well... if you get to narrow you can't get a nice flay lay IMO the new Dream hammocks look nice i like the 90" wide one
i wouldn't worry too much about weight with your hammock most GE hammocks are around the same weight give or take an oz

G.L.P.
02-23-2012, 14:00
" material plays a very important roll in comfort"
thats a very good point MAD777 i feel the same way ... i don't care for the stiff feeling i get from 1.9oz ripstop i love the feel of 1.1 it's more smooth and soft

jbrianb
02-23-2012, 14:03
I came to hammocking from an ultralight background looking for comfort.
In my mind, having a hammock that's too small defeats the purpose and will only save a couple of ounces. I still weigh the rest of my kit in grams.

Having said that, I don't think there is a singular answer to you question; and it's not because folks have individual opinions. I own three commercial hammocks and have made four DIY's. The two most comfortable ones are 48" wide and 67" wide - go figure!

I start out making my hammocks 11' long and generally find them comfy. However, just this past weekend, I made one out of crinkly parachute material and had to keep cutting the length down to get it comfortable and ended up with a 10'-4" hammock - go figure, again!

I'm becoming a believer that the material plays a very important roll in comfort, not just size. This Grasshopper is still learning the mysteries of hammocks ;)

I hear you. I have a nylon hammock that's the same width and slightly shorter than a polyester hammock and I find the nylon more "roomy" feeling. Stretch plays a role in this particular case.

Like you, I have different answers. But when we make/buy/choose a hammock, we do consider weight, length and width. So those factors do matter to us enough that they drive us (along with price, reputation/quality and maybe a few others) to choose one hammock over another. It's not an easy question to answer, but we do answer it when we select hammocks for our use.

MrClockWork
02-23-2012, 14:05
Check out SGT Rock's post on his Ghost Hammock. I don't know if you are up for a DIY but his design is great!

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43521

SGT Rock
02-23-2012, 14:10
Ultralighters:
What would be the narrowest comfortable width you could "enjoy" for a hammock? The narrowest commercial product I've seen is about 48 inches.

Next question:
What would be the ideal length you would like to have when comfort and light BOTH matter?

I expect a lot of folks to have different answers. Getting light probably means sacrificing comfort and vice versa. Some folks are more concerned about light; others care about comfort. As such, the answers may be different. That's OK. Bring it on!

Thanks!
Straight answer from me: 48" felt too narrow. 52" was pretty good for me. I solved my narrow issue with a trick of design by adding a "footbox" to a 48" wide hammock, so now it feels wider than it is thus saving weight but maintaining comfort. I found by adding a second "footbox" the shoulder area I could go crazy short and maintain comfort - but the hammock is destine to fail on the side and die a spectacular death on the trail in the middle of the night in a thunderstorm.

So lesson learned - you can go shorter when you go wider if you do it right. So what you may find is that if you go narrow, you may want a longer hammock and lay more in line with the center, but if you go wider you may not need the length. I found that going more in-line with the hammock was less comfortable than going wider. The "footbox" on one side solved my issues all around.

jbrianb
02-23-2012, 17:26
Straight answer from me: 48" felt too narrow. 52" was pretty good for me. I solved my narrow issue with a trick of design by adding a "footbox" to a 48" wide hammock, so now it feels wider than it is thus saving weight but maintaining comfort. I found by adding a second "footbox" the shoulder area I could go crazy short and maintain comfort - but the hammock is destine to fail on the side and die a spectacular death on the trail in the middle of the night in a thunderstorm.

So lesson learned - you can go shorter when you go wider if you do it right. So what you may find is that if you go narrow, you may want a longer hammock and lay more in line with the center, but if you go wider you may not need the length. I found that going more in-line with the hammock was less comfortable than going wider. The "footbox" on one side solved my issues all around.

Sarge, everyone, thanks for playing. I know it's a bit dopey, but like I said, I was really curious to hear what others thought.

My preference is at least 52 inches wide and at least 9 feet long. I accept the caveat that more width can make less length acceptably comfortable, but for purposes of this exercise, I'd say that's about right for me. I am also 5'10 and I know some of you fellas are a head taller. And if weight doesn't matter as much, I love me a 64-inch by 10 foot hammock.

Appreciate the replies. Trying to get a good guide for our next project, a BIAS MicroLite which we're hoping to get down to the size of a baseball and get the weight down to 6-7 oz., but the real point is to do it somewhat comfortably. We can make a 40-inch by 78-inch hammock and get the weight right, but that's cheating.

Will let you know if we get there.

Sidewinder
02-23-2012, 17:36
48" would the limit. I fit just fine in a GT Nano. 9.5 feet to 11 feet would be the range for length. Honestly, it's not comfort I am sacraficing with a hammock like the Nano, it's durability and dependability. I am more afraid of it tearing or ripping apart on me when I'm out far from home. It's plenty comfortable for me.

S

jbrianb
02-23-2012, 17:44
48" would the limit. I fit just fine in a GT Nano. 9.5 feet to 11 feet would be the range for length. Honestly, it's not comfort I am sacraficing with a hammock like the Nano, it's durability and dependability. I am more afraid of it tearing or ripping apart on me when I'm out far from home. It's plenty comfortable for me.

S

Good point.

Raul Perez
02-23-2012, 18:35
I haven't laid in a Nano all I've laid in is a HH Deluxe, WBBB Single 1.1 and Traveler 1.1 but even being a smaller guy I like the ability to move around much.

I think that not only the fabric and width needs to be fairly light weight but also in the area of suspension and ridge line.

For instance the Traveler comes in with suspension at 12.5oz... by swapping out to dynaglide whoopies and switching to a 1.75 zing it line I was able to shave 2 oz off the rig.

Then there's the bug net.... trying to get something in the 2oz range so now the total hammock in bug season is 12.5oz which is significantly lighter and more packable than the standard WBBB 1.1 single at 18oz.

If you guys can get a hammock for bug season in the 13oz or lower area as a standard you will have yourself a really good winner.

G.L.P.
02-23-2012, 18:38
I haven't laid in a Nano all I've laid in is a HH Deluxe, WBBB Single 1.1 and Traveler 1.1 but even being a smaller guy I like the ability to move around much.

I think that not only the fabric and width needs to be fairly light weight but also in the area of suspension and ridge line.

For instance the Traveler comes in with suspension at 12.5oz... by swapping out to dynaglide whoopies and switching to a 1.75 zing it line I was able to shave 2 oz off the rig.

Then there's the bug net.... trying to get something in the 2oz range so now the total hammock in bug season is 12.5oz which is significantly lighter and more packable than the standard WBBB 1.1 single at 18oz.

If you guys can get a hammock for bug season in the 13oz or lower area as a standard you will have yourself a really good winner.

i could ... but the weight limit would be under 100lbs LOL

jbrianb
02-23-2012, 18:43

I think you're right. Thanks for the feedback. We're dumb enough to work on it. We may end up with a lower weight capacity and the tradeout may, indeed, be durability, as has been mentioned. tncamper and I are not skinny boys and we're reluctant to try to make anything we don't trust with our weight. He's about 190... I'm, well, more than that. Our goal is to make a hammock that will handle up to 200 lbs (which we'd label as 180 due to weights of underquilts, topquilts, etc.)

MrClockWork
02-23-2012, 19:19
Our goal is to make a hammock that will handle up to 200 lbs (which we'd label as 180 due to weights of underquilts, topquilts, etc.)

Im #225 and I am using hammock made out of the 1.5 ripstop from DIYGS. I hated the idea of using 1.9 when I didn't need to. Might be worth a shot although I am pretty sure most manufacturers label the 1.1 single layers for around #200

DemostiX
02-23-2012, 19:43
Clark sells hammocks they list as 47.5". I sleep in one as comfortably as I sleep in one of their wider models. So it must possible. Others are happy without an alternative.

There are others, still, who would never spend a night in a single bed when there are plenty of motels whose smallest bed is queen size.

It comes down to adaptation and engineering. Some here would argue "accommodation over real comfort." Per the tagline below.

motorapido
02-23-2012, 20:06
I'm 5ft 10, 155 pounds, male, age 49, with a winter base weight of about 7 pounds. Maybe I'm odd, but I find my Grand Trunk Nano 7 very comfortable. My only other hammocks are Byer Moskito Travelers, which I take on kayak camping trips when it's buggy. Bigger hammock. Comfortable, but not any better than my Nano 7.

rip waverly
02-23-2012, 20:23
i like smaller hammocks, the gtul is my go-to anymore.
a wbbb built with less hmmk body fabric would be nice.
i'd like to try out the nano and save the .5' of the length/width.

i guess building one from 1.1 to spec isn't a bad idea with DIYGS
being so affordable.

Cranky Bear
02-23-2012, 21:25
I'm 5'9" 186# with a custom made hammock by a good friend with the dimensions at 9' by 60" out of 1.5 ripstop and I find it with the ridgeline at the correct length to be bliss (too short of too long ridgeline and it feels funny)!

I have a Nano7 and found it just a hair narrow, but, I like to lay on a pretty hard diagonal!

jbrianb
02-23-2012, 21:57
Im #225 and I am using hammock made out of the 1.5 ripstop from DIYGS. I hated the idea of using 1.9 when I didn't need to. Might be worth a shot although I am pretty sure most manufacturers label the 1.1 single layers for around #200

We've got a good 1.1 Weight Weenie that supports us both. We're going at least that light with this.

MAD777
02-23-2012, 22:09
I am just barely under 200 pounds and I love the 1.5 oz/sy in a single layer from DIYGearSupply.

exup
02-23-2012, 22:12
I'm using a 9' x 4.5' now and feel I could go with a 4' width and be just fine, but I'm only 5'7". I still feel the need to play with my ridge line legnth. On my backyard lounges its been super comfortable but my one overnight in it I had a like soreness in my knees.

Just hang it
02-23-2012, 22:20
I use the Nano all the time I think its very comfy. But then again I hike many miles in a day and could pass out anywhere. I also love how small it packs down to.

tncamper
02-23-2012, 23:42
I think you're right. Thanks for the feedback. We're dumb enough to work on it. We may end up with a lower weight capacity and the tradeout may, indeed, be durability, as has been mentioned. tncamper and I are not skinny boys and we're reluctant to try to make anything we don't trust with our weight. He's about 190... I'm, well, more than that. Our goal is to make a hammock that will handle up to 200 lbs (which we'd label as 180 due to weights of underquilts, topquilts, etc.)

I broke 190 a week ago thanks. 188 this morning. (haha)

I also want to thank ya'll for responding. We do want to see what everyone wants vs just throwing something out there for you to choose from. Watermonkey - if we ever get your specs down, you'll have the first one off the line.

jbrianb
02-26-2012, 19:32
I'll share this info... not into trade secrets...

I've prototyped a 52"x120" 1.1 ripstop nylon hammock (30 denier) and got it to under 6 oz. with bag and Amsteel channel loops. I weigh 230 and got in it to test it out today. Ended up sleeping for about an hour. Very comfortable.

Adding the attachment hardware (carbon toggles), this will, literally, be a 6 oz. hammock. Easily fits into a 7x5x4 bag. tncamper will be tweaking the specs and design. This is most assuredly coming soon to a vendor near you.