PDA

View Full Version : Ed Speer's Spring 23rd Annual SEHHA Sept. 19-21, 08

headchange4u
06-18-2008, 15:59
Here's the usual info:

From www.speekhammocks.com:

Join us for the 23rd SEHHA (SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association) campout the weekend of September 19-21, 2008. It's FREE! (except for your $6/nite camping fee). This is an informal group event and everyone is welcome--veteran, novice or future hammockers. See, learn and share your knowledge with other hammock enthusiasts. This will be an easy overnight campout at a commercial campground in a beautiful mountain river setting near the Appalachian Trail in western North Carolina! Join Karen Sousa and Ed Speer, author of the Hammock Camping book and editor of the Hammock Camping Newsletters for this fun early Fall campout. Previous trips were well attended and this is another chance for hammockers to show their stuff, share ideas, learn from others, and be a part of the 'new way'. Meet old friends and make new ones! Check out the newest hammock gear!

Come help us celebrate the begining of Autumn!

We will camp in the popular Hot Springs Campground approximately 45 minute drive northwest of Asheville, NC or 1.5 hours east of Knoxville, TN. The campground is located on the east side of the town of Hot Springs on Highway US 25/70 directly across from the Hot Springs Resort and Hot Tubs. The campground is situated on the French Broad River and our campsite (#413) is on the rivers' west bank. Road access to the campground is from Asheville, NC or Newport, TN on US 25/US 70. Trees are available for about 15 hammocks, so please bring hammock stands if you have them--we will also provide stands (contact us to reserve one). If you have folding camp chairs, bring them. Everyone will be responsible for his or her own transportation, gear, behavior, and camping fees ($5/person, see Ed at campsite). Camp central for the weekend will be the camp fire and large white canopy at site #413.

Show up anytime and leave anytime, but don't miss our free Saturday evening hot dog cookout! This is now a tradition at each hammock hangers campout--it's not to be missed! Otherwise, everyone will be responsible for his or her own meals.

Upon arrival, check in at the campground gate and ask for the 'hammock group'. Don't pay at the entrance gate--you pay me at the campsite itself. Karen and I will be at the campsite Friday afternoon thru midday Sunday, so arrive anytime after 1 pm Friday. The Hot Springs area abounds with outdoor opportunities like hiking, canoeing, kayaking, river rafting, fishing, mountain biking, etc--you can easily combine the hammock campout with an outdoor trip. The Appalachian Trail passes thru town and only a few hundred feet from our campsite. The French Broad River adjacent to our campsite is a popular fishing and floating stream.

Find complete campground details at:

http://camp.nchotsprings.com/

Find driving directions at: http://nchotsprings.com/directions.html

Early Fall temperatures at this elevation can fluctuate wildly, so expect daytime temps of 50-80F and nighttime temps of 30-50F. Rain is possible so be prepared.

Signing up is not necessary, but letting us know will be appreciated-- [email protected] or call (828) 724-4444

Everyone Welcome! See ya at Hot Springs! …..Ed "Not To Worry" Speer

slowhike
06-18-2008, 22:05
Thanks HC4U. I'll go ahead & put this on my calendar.

headchange4u
06-18-2008, 22:27
I think I should be able to get off work that Friday. Hopefully I can make it all weekend.

slowhike
06-18-2008, 22:30
BTW... I think Ed did a typo... that should probably be Sept 19-21.

Hooch
06-19-2008, 05:30
BTW... I think Ed did a typo......Or the 23rd instead of the 23st. :D I may make it to this one. I've really been wanting to go to one of the MAHHA hangs, so I'm seriously looking at attending that one in the fall. I guess it all just depends on what work schedules are looking like at the time. For now, it's just too early to tell. But if I don't make one, I'll hopefully make the other. :)

sam4msu
06-19-2008, 09:12
SHOOT!!! It never fails that I have plans for the weekend of the hang-outs. I will be in Atlanta watching Mississippi State put a whooping on Ga. Tech!!!

Bug-Bait
06-19-2008, 10:12
Hope it's a great hang!!

NCPatrick
06-19-2008, 10:15
I'm still heading to MAHHA. I can car pool with folks from NC who want to go. (If we can meet somewhere close-by)...

Bug-Bait
06-19-2008, 10:17
Sorry...I screwed up and posted incorrect info. I couldn't delete it so I'm adding this. Sorry again.
MQ

Mule
06-19-2008, 11:29
This is eight hours for me and I probably won't be able to make it, but I may surprise myself and y'all. Mule

slowhike
06-19-2008, 13:58
This is eight hours for me and I probably won't be able to make it, but I may surprise myself and y'all. Mule

It would be good to meet you Mule.
You would probably enjoy the weekend, & even more if you could add a day or two on to help justify the drive.

slowhike
06-19-2008, 14:00
I'm still heading to MAHHA. I can car pool with folks from NC who want to go. (If we can meet somewhere close-by)...

I've got to look again to see when the MAHHA campout is. I hope they're not on the same weekend.

Bug-Bait
06-19-2008, 14:09
I've got to look again to see when the MAHHA campout is. I hope they're not on the same weekend.

I don't want to steal Ed's "thunder" by posting here.
Fortunately, the MAHHA Fall Hang is the week before Ed's...September 12, 13, 14.

headchange4u
06-19-2008, 14:10

The fall MAHHA (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4450) is Sept 12-14.

Mrprez
08-01-2008, 18:23
23rd SEHHA Campout (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/Articles/HotSpringsSep08.htm)

My first post here, great forum. I have been using hammocks for quite some time. Started out with a Clark, moved on to a Speer (homemade), then an HH and a Byer. Going back to the Clark NA with XL fly. Best night's sleep ever was in the Clark hammock.

I am posting the link to Ed Speer's 23rd SEHHA Campout in Hot Springs, NC in Sept. If you haven't ever met Ed, he is a great guy to know. He is a fountain of knowledge about hammocks. These events are open to all hammock types and there are no sales pitches trying to get you to switch. Just a bunch of HH getting together to shoot the bull around the campfire. I plan to attend this years fall event. Haven't been to one in awhile and am looking forward to seeing all the HH up there.

John

Darby
08-01-2008, 18:40
Welcome to the forum. Alot of us do know Ed and you are very correct. Ed is a fountain of knowledge and a very nice guy. His events are always a good time.

slowhike
08-01-2008, 20:47
I'm planning to go. It's always a fun, laid back weekend.

Mrprez
08-01-2008, 20:53
Good deal...I'll be the one on the Honda Goldwing with a trailer full of gear!!!

Hooch
08-01-2008, 20:57
I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to the SEHHA hang in Hot Springs or the MAHHA hang in MD. I can't take 2 weekend off from work back to back, so I'll have to choose. I'm leaning heavily on going to MD with the MAHHA hangers, just for the new experience. I can honestly say, though, that Ed's hangs are always great fun and worth the trip anytime!

slowhike
08-01-2008, 20:59
Good deal...I'll be the one on the Honda Goldwing with a trailer full of gear!!!

Sounds good. Looking forward to meeting you. Dave/Youngblood will most likely be there as well as several others.

slowhike
08-01-2008, 21:00
I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to the SEHHA hang in Hot Springs or the MAHHA hang in MD. I can't take 2 weekend off from work back to back, so I'll have to choose. I'm leaning heavily on going to MD with the MAHHA hangers, just for the new experience. I can honestly say, though, that Ed's hangs are always great fun and worth the trip anytime!

I can understand that. I'm hoping I can make it work to go to both... we'll see.

Hooch
08-01-2008, 21:10
I can understand that. I'm hoping I can make it work to go to both... we'll see.
My loyalty to Ed as a friend says for me to go to Hot Springs, but I have been wanting to go to the MAHHA hang since it was announced a couple months ago. I know I'll have a good time and get to see a lot of good gear at either one, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna wind up in MD. :D

NCPatrick
08-01-2008, 21:20
I'm doing the same, Hooch. I try to get to Ed's once a year at least, but there's just so many places I'd also like to see. You really can't go wrong at any of the hangouts, there are so many great people attending them.

Mrprez
08-01-2008, 21:31
After the event is over, I'll be heading down to hike the AT starting at Springer and hike north on the trail until Thursday. From there, I will head over to a GW get together in Canton , GA. Gonna be a busy week...

John

slowhike
08-02-2008, 18:39
After the event is over, I'll be heading down to hike the AT starting at Springer and hike north on the trail until Thursday. From there, I will head over to a GW get together in Canton , GA. Gonna be a busy week...

John

Sounds great! Several others have either did a hike just before or just after one of the Hot Springs camp outs.

Mrprez
08-02-2008, 20:24
Sounds great! Several others have either did a hike just before or just after one of the Hot Springs camp outs.

Yep, here is the one Risk and I did in '04 before the Spring Hang.

http://www.imrisk.com/albertmountain/albertmountain.htm

John

slowhike
08-02-2008, 21:44
Yep, here is the one Risk and I did in '04 before the Spring Hang.

http://www.imrisk.com/albertmountain/albertmountain.htm

John

Thanks... brings back good memories from times I've been on that trail!
I haven't herd much from Rick/Risk lately, except for a couple posts on the hammock camping yahoo group.
It would be good if he could make Hot Springs.

Mrprez
08-03-2008, 05:25
Thanks... brings back good memories from times I've been on that trail!
I haven't herd much from Rick/Risk lately, except for a couple posts on the hammock camping yahoo group.
It would be good if he could make Hot Springs.

Risk fractured his left fibula while hiking the 100 mile wilderness recently. True to form, he managed to hike out to a road, get a ride back to his m/c, rode back to the truck and drove back home where he got medical attention. This was back on July 5th, 2008. Here's a link to his blog:

http://risks-hiking.blogspot.com

John

DuctTape
08-03-2008, 10:29
Has anyone planned in the past, or planning in the future a NorthEast Hangout?

Ramblinrev
08-03-2008, 11:09
There is a hang being planned in October along the Pine Creek Gorge in PA. (Grand Canyon of PA) I don't know if that addresses your question.

DuctTape
08-11-2008, 05:56
There is a hang being planned in October along the Pine Creek Gorge in PA. (Grand Canyon of PA) I don't know if that addresses your question.

Most definitely. I will keep a look out for the thread.

peanuts
08-11-2008, 11:27
i'll be attending, but will be arrivng late in the nite. i don't get back to my lot till after 5pm....

oh yea, i entered the workfoce again......school bus driver:D

NCPatrick
08-11-2008, 12:28
i'll be attending, but will be arrivng late in the nite. i don't get back to my lot till after 5pm....

oh yea, i entered the workfoce again......school bus driver:D

Congrats Peanuts!

I was wondering how that turned out for you.

peanuts
08-12-2008, 09:47
Congrats Peanuts!

I was wondering how that turned out for you.

thanks ncpatrick..... and so far so good. i just have to drive safely:)

thecrumb
09-01-2008, 15:25
I'm curious if anyone rides a motorcycle to this event?? Thinking about making it a long weekend of riding / hanging - hopefully get to meet some online folks and try out some alternative hammocks?

Jim

Just Jeff
09-01-2008, 15:41
Risk rode all the way from Ohio in the rain last year. There were more around but I don't know who they belonged to.

Mrprez
09-01-2008, 15:54
I will be riding my motorcycle up there this year. I plan to arrive there on Thursday and head back down to Ga for 5 days on the trail.

John

Shadowmoss
09-01-2008, 18:08
I may make this one. As of now my out of town trip for work has been canceled. If I'm not called away by work, I'll take Friday off and drive over.

slowhike
09-01-2008, 18:20
Good to hear Shadowmoss. Sounds like we should have a decent size group there.

slowhike
09-01-2008, 18:23
I will be riding my motorcycle up there this year. I plan to arrive there on Thursday and head back down to Ga for 5 days on the trail.

John

Mrprez, I hope to see you & thecrumb there too. Always good to meet new folks.

Mrprez
09-01-2008, 18:23
Yep, I was talking to Ed on the phone last night and he said the number of people confirming is leading to a pretty good turnout.
You as well, Slowhike, I will be the one on the Goldwing....

John

slowhike
09-01-2008, 18:25
Yep, I was talking to Ed on the phone last night and he said the number of people confirming is leading to a pretty good turnout.
You as well, Slowhike, I will be the one on the Goldwing....

John

If you haven't met him, Ed's an interesting guy w/ lots of stories to tell about his life's adventures.

Mrprez
09-01-2008, 18:31
Yep, known Ed for a number of years. Bought my first hammock kit back in ought 4 and attended the Spring 04 hang at Rainbow Springs Campground. Looking forward to seeing everyone and all the interesting tips and tricks everyone is trying these days.

John

slowhike
09-01-2008, 18:49
Yep, known Ed for a number of years. Bought my first hammock kit back in ought 4 and attended the Spring 04 hang at Rainbow Springs Campground. Looking forward to seeing everyone and all the interesting tips and tricks everyone is trying these days.

John

I've seen pictures from that hang on the yahoo group.
Unfortunately, those were the .... (gulp) pre-hammock days for me:rolleyes:

thecrumb
09-02-2008, 07:36
Mrprez, I hope to see you & thecrumb there too. Always good to meet new folks.

Yeah - if others ride up that'll give me more incentive to come! Now have to confirm with the 'boss' :)

Speaking of which - I set my hammock up this weekend in the backyard and my wife came down and wanted to try it out. I went in to check on the kids and came out about 20 minutes later and she was snoozing!!! :lol:

Jim

peanuts
09-02-2008, 11:15
it looks like i have to miss this one too:cursing:
not happy at all.......crossing my fingers for nye.

slowhike
09-02-2008, 16:51
I went in to check on the kids and came out about 20 minutes later and she was snoozing!!! :lol:

Jim

A good sign no doubt<G>.

slowhike
09-02-2008, 16:52
it looks like i have to miss this one too:cursing:
not happy at all.......crossing my fingers for nye.

Sorry to hear that peanut. Maybe next time.

RAW
09-02-2008, 17:16
Thinking about showing up.
Gotta see how it fits into the schedule as we get closer.

Ewker
09-02-2008, 18:01
I had thought about coming to this. Unfortunately any plans I had to backpack, kayak or hike got put on hold for the next 6 months until my leg heals.

Shadowmoss
09-02-2008, 20:43
I had thought about coming to this. Unfortunately any plans I had to backpack, kayak or hike got put on hold for the next 6 months until my leg heals.

Leg heals? From what?

headchange4u
09-02-2008, 20:56

Another injury? What happened?

Keep in mind that the Hot Springs camp out have a few people who come and truly test the lounging capabilities of their hammocks:D

Ewker
09-03-2008, 00:08
I got bitten twice on Aug 24 by a Brown Recluse Spider.

Ramblinrev
09-03-2008, 00:11
ouchie ouchie ouchie... not a good thing. Quick healing be yours.....

Cannibal
09-03-2008, 10:24
I got bitten twice on Aug 24 by a Brown Recluse Spider.

That's what you get for sleeping in a tent. :tongueup:

Just kidding, I got bit by one when I was a kid. Really sucked! Hope you're doing OK and still have all appendages.

headchange4u
09-03-2008, 13:22
The BR is a nasty spider to get bitten by. I wish you the best. I know it takes a long time for the wounds to heal.

thecrumb
09-03-2008, 14:06
Woot! :lol:

Talked to the 'boss' and I'm good to go for the SEHHA. Probably cruise up 1/2 way Friday and camp somewhere along the way and then get to Hot Springs on Saturday.

Anyone bringing a Clark to this event? I'm hoping to check out everyone's gear but that's the one hammock I'd most like to look at in person.

Jim

Ewker
09-04-2008, 10:10
That's what you get for sleeping in a tent. :tongueup:

Just kidding, I got bit by one when I was a kid. Really sucked! Hope you're doing OK and still have all appendages.

I wish it had been in a tent. That would have meant I was outside camping.

Nope it happened in the bed at home. It seems that is where most people get bite at. Slide your feet down into the bed and Bam a bite :scared:

Ramblinrev
09-04-2008, 10:12
Gack.... that's a scary thought. I am aware of the potential in basements and crawl spaces... but not between the sheets.

RAW
09-04-2008, 18:09
Woot! :lol:

Talked to the 'boss' and I'm good to go for the SEHHA. Probably cruise up 1/2 way Friday and camp somewhere along the way and then get to Hot Springs on Saturday.

Anyone bringing a Clark to this event? I'm hoping to check out everyone's gear but that's the one hammock I'd most like to look at in person.

Jim

If I make it up there, I'll have my Clark.

No Trail Name
09-17-2008, 07:53
Good morning,
I have not been in here in a while and stopped in last week and saw the Hang going on in Hot Springs. My son and I were planning on heading up but both my sons have come down with colds and he does not want to go now. I am still planning on getting up there but would like to get an idea about what kinda hammocks will be there? I have a HH and pretty pleased with it but an intrested in a side loader and would like to see one up close and personal first. If you don't mind letting me know what your hangin in let me know. I will check the box showing i am headed up fri night.
thanks again and see ya there
Kendall

Mrprez
09-17-2008, 07:55
Hope you can make it. You are likely to see all types of hammocks there. I use a Speer with a PeaPod but have seen all sorts of homemades, HH and Clarks at these events.

No Trail Name
09-17-2008, 07:55
ahh and one more question, do we all pile up in site #413 ? or do i need to call and get a site myself?

Mrprez
09-17-2008, 07:57
ahh and one more question, do we all pile up in site #413 ? or do i need to call and get a site myself?

We will all be in that one site. When you come into the campground tell them you are with the HH group. You'll pay Ed for the campground fee. It is $6 a night.

thecrumb
09-17-2008, 08:10
I'll have my Skeeter Beeter Pro and 10x10 tarp I got from Big Rock Outfitters.

Jim

slowhike
09-17-2008, 08:15
I'm afraid I'm going to have to miss this trip. I really hate to, but I've just got so much that needs to be done before cool weather sets in.
But y'all have fun<G>.

Mrprez
09-17-2008, 08:59
I'm afraid I'm going to have to miss this trip. I really hate to, but I've just got so much that needs to be done before cool weather sets in.
But y'all have fun<G>.

That's a shame, I was looking forward to meeting you. Maybe next year....

Mrprez
09-17-2008, 14:11
Anyone going up early? I am headed up there tomorrow.

RAW
09-17-2008, 14:18
I've got a meeting with an erosion control contractor at my place Friday afternoon.
I may just end up hanging up at my property for the weekend.
Will have to play it by ear.:cool:

slowhike
09-17-2008, 15:24
That's a shame, I was looking forward to meeting you. Maybe next year....

Same here. It's always a laid back weekend. And it looks like y'all will have good sleeping weather.

Shadowmoss
09-17-2008, 15:56
I'll head over planning to be there around noonish Friday. I'll have most of my 6 or 7 hammocks except my no-name jungle one, which is loaned out. Let's see, that's 2 TrekLight doubles, 2 of the $16 hammocks (one modified to ring buckles), I guess I'll bring my HH Scout in case anyone wants to see it... I also have 3 large tarps now, a HH Hex, a Granite Gear 10x11 and the large white Guide Gear one. So, I'll be ready to play show and tell with the hammocks if anyone is interested.

headchange4u
09-18-2008, 08:56
Unfortunately it looks like I'm not going to be able to make this hang out.:(

thecrumb
09-22-2008, 07:21
Made it home around 5pm yesterday (Sun).

I had a great time at the SEHHA and it was nice to meet everyone! Enjoyed checking out everyone's hammocks and gear. Already have a few mods planned - like those elastic tensioners on Shadowmoss' tarp.

Jim

Shadowmoss
09-22-2008, 08:15
I made it home safely also, and promptly crashed into bed. I had a great time. It was good to meet everyone I hadn't met before. SlowHike and Youngblood were especially missed by me.

slowhike
09-22-2008, 13:33
I sure hated missing it. I even called Ed on his cell about the time I thought y'all would be finishing those "skillets":scared:
But y'all were just walking toward the dinner. Ed said it was such nice, cool sleeping weather that everyone slept in:sleep:

Glad y'all had a good trip, but I know Hot Springs campground wouldn't have seamed right w/o Youngblood there.

Lost
09-22-2008, 13:45
I proudly take full responsibilty for everyone being late for breakfast. I may still be snoozing if they hadn't woke me up!

Great time, great conversation, great food. It was fun to get to meet some new folks, and see others again. Already looking forward to April! Slowhike - mark your calander now. I still haven't met you!

slowhike
09-22-2008, 13:47
Lord willin, I'll be there. I've been known to "sleep in" myself:rolleyes:

Youngblood
09-22-2008, 14:07
Sorry I missed it, it was just on a bad weekend for me.

I plan on being at Springer Mountain on NYE, weather cooperating, of course.

Shadowmoss
09-22-2008, 14:23
Youngblood: so, who won the game?

Youngblood
09-22-2008, 14:24
Youngblood: so, who won the game?

LSU, dang it.:D Even with that it was a great game.

Sweetpea
09-22-2008, 16:03
Hey everyone,
My husband and I had a great time at the hang out in Hot Springs. Thank you so much to all those who answered my many "newbie" questions! hahaha! It was nice meeting you all, LOST, MR.PREZ, SHADOWMOSS, NO TRAIL NAME, THE CRUMB, and anyone else whose trail name I did not get. Ed Speer was great and made us feel at home. He even had hammocks for us to test out, and I have to honestly say, it was the BEST sleep I've ever had outdoors. Definetly a convert. Good bye ground dwelling (painful back and hips) days! Now I just have to figure out WHAT kind of hammock I want. :) I really did enjoy the Speer hammock and accessories. Hoping to learn more in the forums. Again,thanks to all the people I met, I hope to come to more events in the future, you guys were really alot of fun.

Sweetpea

NCPatrick
09-22-2008, 18:05
Welcome to the forums SweetPea. Sorry to have missed meeting you at SEHHA. If you go back next April maybe more of us can make it there.

thecrumb
09-22-2008, 18:38
I'll post some pictures once I get them organized a bit.

Sweetpea - glad you are converted! Last night when I got home I actually had a hard time falling asleep in the bed! :laugh:

Looking forward to the next get together!

Jim

Hooch
09-22-2008, 19:22
Looking forward to the next get together! Methinks that'll be the New Years hang at Springer. :D I'm glad y'all had a good time. Sorry to have missed this one. Hope to see all that can make it New Years @ Springer.

Sweetpea
09-23-2008, 07:40
Thanks everyone!

Mrprez
09-28-2008, 18:41
I didn't go home afterwards, but went on to Springer where I hiked from the Visitor's Center to Woody Gap (even the stairs!). Had a great hike, lot's of interest in the hammock. My gravity water filter performed flawlessly! After the hike, I went on to another event (motorcycle related) and had a great time there. Finally made it home today.

I had a great time at the SEHHA and enjoyed meeting those who were able to attend. The stew and cobbler that were created in the dutch oven was marvelous. Great campfires and the weather was perfect.

slowhike
09-28-2008, 20:21
I didn't go home afterwards, but went on to Springer where I hiked from the Visitor's Center to Woody Gap (even the stairs!). Had a great hike, lot's of interest in the hammock. My gravity water filter performed flawlessly! After the hike, I went on to another event (motorcycle related) and had a great time there. Finally made it home today.

I had a great time at the SEHHA and enjoyed meeting those who were able to attend. The stew and cobbler that were created in the dutch oven was marvelous. Great campfires and the weather was perfect.

Hope to meet you there in the spring.

Mrprez
09-28-2008, 20:31
Hope to meet you there in the spring.

I should be there....