PDA

View Full Version : Dn color

Charlie Brew
02-25-2012, 10:07
I have ordered my suspension and tarp. All I need is the hammock and some ccf! I am going to pull the trigger on an eno dn soon. I was wondering how important color is. Does it only matter if you are going stealth? Do certain colors deter bugs more? Just looking for some opinions.

lubbockhammockguy
02-25-2012, 10:20
I have heard that different colors have attracted different bugs, but that is why I have my diy bug net. A word of advice is to not use the eno slap straps, because they will stretch and over time they will break.

Charlie Brew
02-25-2012, 10:26
I have been lurking a lot. I ordered a suspension from Dutch. Thanks!

Charlie Brew
02-25-2012, 10:28
I also can't sew so a DIY bug net is impossible for me. Will prob buy one from a small vendor

ernesthemmingway
02-25-2012, 10:44
Ive heard many good things about the bug net from wildernesslogics.com. I have the ENO guardian bug net, it is good quality, but alot heavier than most of the nets sold by the cottage buisnesses. I think I'll be replacing it with a WL net soon.

Also, im convinced that the only real way to keep bugs from biting you is to keep them off of your skin. (with a net) Those bugs are vicious and undeterred. I dont think color of hammock, eating honey, or any of those other tecniques you hear about will help. Even bug spray doesnt work for me sometimes.

lubbockhammockguy
02-25-2012, 10:47
I also can't sew so a DIY bug net is impossible for me. Will prob buy one from a small vendor

DO NOT BUY A BUG NET, they are really easy to make. Fronky made a great video about making a bugnet in the diy section, it is a sticky. If you don't have a sewing machine you can always post in the Want To Buy section to see if anyone has an extra one or if someone would make one for you.

Just my opinion :D

Cannibal
02-25-2012, 11:10
Have never noticed anything different about the color of the hammock drawing more, or less, bugs. I do have a piece of useless trivia bouncing around my head that seems pertinent; the color yellow is proven to attract bees. It likely attracts any of the pollinating critters since it is a color they are programmed to search out. So I guess if you don't like bees, stay away from yellow. :D

Boomer
02-25-2012, 18:39
I read somewhere that dark colors attract skeeters more, but that wouldn't deter me from getting a color combo that I liked. I even got whoopies to match.

aaronkmckay
02-27-2012, 09:57
def do not buy the eno bug net....cost a lot and is very heavy. I cut off the bag at the bottom to try to reduce some weight but its still heavy. Going to replace it soon hopefully.

Charlie Brew
02-27-2012, 12:10
Thanks Aaron. I looked at the specs and the eno bug net is too heavy for my taste. I guess I will see if I can find someone who will let me use their sewing machine or post on WTB forum to see if I can come up with something cheap!

DemostiX
02-28-2012, 20:06
Go to the right forums. Or maybe without doing so you'll find threads not just on DIY, but also on other sources for them, such as IKEA. If you wish to DIY and the source material --such as IKEAs bedding net -- is cheap enough, you've had something to learn on / with.

Hint: Drape matter a whole lot in bug netting.

Acer
02-28-2012, 20:15
You can buy bug netting from Army Surplus store, or even all kinds of netting from a fabric shop, and drape it over the hammock,,you can even use some paper binders from a Office Supply store to clamp the bottom,,lots of ways to get by cheap for the time being till you save to buy a bug net for 65 bucks or so.

Charlie Brew
02-28-2012, 20:48
I just posted in the wtb. Hopefully someonehas something they don't need and will let go cheap. My fiance's dog got sick last week and we spent a ton of $ getting her better. Gonna have to hold off on some of my hammocking purchase plans

Atlas918
02-28-2012, 21:04
Color matters to me! I want to look cool while I am out on the trail! :shades:

My DN is orange and silver. Matches my Exos ;)

Charlie Brew
02-28-2012, 21:05
Color matters to me! I want to look cool while I am out on the trail! :shades:

My DN is orange and silver. Matches my Exos ;)

Orange in my favorite. It will def be in my setup

deerfu
02-29-2012, 18:24
Orange in my favorite. It will def be in my setup

The orange is nice! I have a red/silver and a green/gold combo :cool: