PDA

View Full Version : Ordered Today

Pilgrim
06-19-2008, 19:10
Ordered a Claytor JH today. I am new to hammock camping and needed something easy to transport and sleep in during river camping trips. I will be floating rivers in my canoe and camping as I go. This is my first post and I look forward to participating on this forum. It looks to be a great forum with knowledgeable folks.
Anyone else river camp?

FanaticFringer
06-19-2008, 19:22
Welcome to the site. Be sure to check out Jeff's site for some great hammock 101
www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
He's a member here.

Mule
06-19-2008, 20:23
You will like the Claytor for sure. Welcome. Mule

neo
06-19-2008, 20:26
Ordered a Claytor JH today. I am new to hammock camping and needed something easy to transport and sleep in during river camping trips. I will be floating rivers in my canoe and camping as I go. This is my first post and I look forward to participating on this forum. It looks to be a great forum with knowledgeable folks.
Anyone else river camp?

that cool,i cant get enough of kayak camping,the claytor jungle hammock is awesome,my hammock och choice for 2 and a half years now.:cool:neo

canoebie
06-19-2008, 20:43
I spend about 20-60 nights a year on the river. This is my first year with a hammock, and I have the claytor JH as well. Sleeping in it full time with the wife at home as well. She has her own, not two of us in the same hammock. We are really enjoying them. Gave up our waterbed.

Welcome.

David

6 feet over
06-19-2008, 21:06
Welcome. I also have a Claytor, but am looking to canoe camp for the first time this year.

You may want to look into swapping the stock suspension system. There are several ideas about how to do so on this site, and I’ve found everyone here to be VERY helpful.

Where do you river camp?

angrysparrow
06-19-2008, 21:12
Welcome to the forum, Pilgrim.

Pilgrim
06-19-2008, 21:46
Thanks for the welcome y'all. I am going to the New river this weekend but I will be sleeping in a tent since I just ordered my JH today. I will be over near the Independence/Galax Va. area. But most of the time I will be camping on local rivers here in Southwestern Va. I live about 20 miles from Damascus Va. No shortages of places to camp around here.

canoebie
06-20-2008, 05:42
I have paddled the Greenbriar in your neck of the woods. Beautiful river, got it on my schedule for next year to do again.

David

headchange4u
06-20-2008, 08:03
Welcome to Hammock Forums. Happy hanging.:)

animalcontrol
06-20-2008, 08:45
Anyone else river camp?

If you currently live in Indiana or Iowa, EVERYBODY river camps (and lives and sleeps and sand bags, etc.) Welcome to flooding!

Nails
06-20-2008, 10:35
I'm a canoe camper, too, and love my Claytor JH. The reason I got into hammocking in the first place is because it can be so dang hard to find comfortable tenting ground near a river. With the hammock I can sleep above the ever-present rocks and on some pretty steep wooded slopes (although it takes some effort to get it right). Good luck.

Oh, and I'd swap out the stock strap.

bigeeh
06-25-2008, 18:32
I also just purchased my first hammock (JH) from Claytor. I mostly do hike and bicycle trips out in here in the West. In a few weeks I will be biking from Seattle to Vancouver, BC, up the Sunshine Coast and down Vancouver Island. I am very much looking forward to it. It will be my first trip using a hammock. :)