PDA

View Full Version : Claytor JH Suspension

FanaticFringer
06-19-2008, 20:27
Got a JH today minus the tarp. I have a question for all you Claytor freaks out there.:D

I added cinch buckles to it today and it looks alot like the picture below.
My question is, I did not use a bowline to tie the joined loose ends of the Spyderline at the end of the hammock. I used the method that my Trklight double used . Just took each free end of the Spyderline around the main line and then formed a basic knot. Holds great but it is cinched down as tight as it will go. This made the hammock have a ridge in the middle that I wasn't expecting. It did not feel that great when I layed in it.
Is there a big difference in how it lays if you give it more slack at the channel such as tieing a bowline as the below picture has done? I would have tried it but will wait till tomorrow.

Thanks

FF

neo
06-20-2008, 08:30
Got a JH today minus the tarp. I have a question for all you Claytor freaks out there.:D

My question is, I did not use a bowline to tie the joined loose ends of the Spyderline at the end of the hammock. I used the method that my Trklight double used . Just took each free end of the Spyderline around the main line and then formed a basic knot. Holds great but it is cinched down as tight as it will go. This made the hammock have a ridge in the middle that I wasn't expecting. It did not feel that great when I layed in it.
Is there a big difference in how it lays if you give it more slack at the channel such as tieing a bowline as the below picture has done? I would have tried it but will wait till tomorrow.

Thanks

FF

i am glad i made the switch from stock webbing to the ring buckle set up
:cool:neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1710&catid=member&imageuser=11

animalcontrol
06-20-2008, 08:42

Thanks

FF

I am doing this same mod tomorrow...

I would think that the "replacement" spyderline should allow the hammock to hang (bunch at the channel) like the original webbing does. In other words, the original webbing is a single, open loop. If the replacement line is tied together at 1. the channel and 2. the buckle/rings would the hammock still hang "naturally"?

I am going to try different knots to have my replacement line tied together only 1 time at the rings/buckle.

Make any sense? Yea, me neither!

animalcontrol
06-20-2008, 09:41

I would think that the "replacement" spyderline should allow the hammock to hang (bunch at the channel) like the original webbing does. In other words, the original webbing is a single, open loop. If the replacement line is tied together at 1. the channel and 2. the buckle/rings would the hammock still hang "naturally"?

I am going to try different knots to have my replacement line tied together only 1 time at the rings/buckle.

I'm thinking something along the lines in this thread...http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719&highlight=ring
I will just use 2 rings and webbing from the rings to the tree...

FanaticFringer
06-20-2008, 11:55

I think I understand you. It is a little hard to get down in words what where talking about here.

FanaticFringer
06-20-2008, 11:59
I'm thinking something along the lines in this thread...http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719&highlight=ring
I will just use 2 rings and webbing from the rings to the tree...

That looks like a really good option. I see that his channel is cinched up as tight as it will go. That is how mine looked. I guess what I am really wanting to know is does a looser channel make for a different laying hammock? Kind of like when you whip a DIY hammock and how it lays is determined by how much material you pull out at the whipping?

angrysparrow
06-20-2008, 12:02
That looks like a really good option. I see that his channel is cinched up as tight as it will go. That is how mine looked. I guess what I am really wanting to know is does a looser channel make for a different laying hammock? Kind of like when you whip a DIY hammock and how it lays is determined by how much material you pull out at the whipping?

I haven't seen any info posted about this in relation to non-DIY hammocks. I'm curious what your findings will be if you experiment with different 'channel spread' widths.

FanaticFringer
06-20-2008, 12:02
One way I was thinking about doing it that I dont know I've read about before is to take a piece of rope/spyderline and run it through the channel. Then wrap the loose ends around the cinch buckle and tie off with a bowline at the cinch buckle. That I think would give the channel more play room.

Ramblinrev
06-20-2008, 12:15
what I don't quite understand is how to maintain the spread if the channels are spread out when not loaded, how do you keep them from bunching together at the loop under load? Not sure I am making sense here.

FanaticFringer
06-20-2008, 12:20
what I don't quite understand is how to maintain the spread if the channels are spread out when not loaded, how do you keep them from bunching together at the loop under load? Not sure I am making sense here.

Your making perfectly good sense. I just thought the same thing myself. Kindoff a "Doh" moment. Yep it would appear that once a load is added it all ends up cinched. Although somewhat less cinched when done the alternative way.

animalcontrol
06-20-2008, 13:46
I think I understand you. It is a little hard to get down in words what where talking about here.

my goal is to mimic the original set-up as close as possible, trading the original webbing for Spyderline. I will set-up loose and allow it to compress the channel to its own point based on my weight, slack etc.

Almost sounds like the hammock has a "preference" :eek:

animalcontrol
06-20-2008, 13:51
One way I was thinking about doing it that I dont know I've read about before is to take a piece of rope/spyderline and run it through the channel. Then wrap the loose ends around the cinch buckle and tie off with a bowline at the cinch buckle. That I think would give the channel more play room.

EXACTLY!
My theory is the channel needs to "reset" for each unique hang...

If true, the channel should have play room to "reset" between it hang and to adjust as tension, slack, etc changes each time... 2 closed loops, (channel and buckle/ring) wouldn't allow this "reset" hence less set-up flexibility.

Sounds good, heh?

alex30808
07-15-2008, 22:33
I dont see how the channel could have any "play room" no matter what the set up unless there is some type of spreader bar to keep the channel from closing upon loading. Even using the stock straps the channel will close when loaded and the material will bunch up in the "V" created by the straps. I've take my NO Net and replaced the stock straps with webbing and ring buckles. It hangs the same every time no matter what the set up.

FanaticFringer
07-16-2008, 14:47
I dont see how the channel could have any "play room" no matter what the set up unless there is some type of spreader bar to keep the channel from closing upon loading. Even using the stock straps the channel will close when loaded and the material will bunch up in the "V" created by the straps. I've take my NO Net and replaced the stock straps with webbing and ring buckles. It hangs the same every time no matter what the set up.

Yep that the conclusion I came to. I sold my Claytor.

BillyBob58
07-16-2008, 15:08

I need to pay some attention to this. When I first replaced my stock webbing ( first on a no net and then on a JH ), I was concerned with my method of attaching Spiderline thru the channels causing this "bunching up" of the channel. Also, I remember my impression from my first No Net hang was that the HH center ridge problem was non-existent. But later, I noticed that it was only less of a problem, but still a bit of a problem sometimes. Now I'm wondering if the suspension change had anything to do with this.

With the manufacturers suggested technique of hanging, it occurs to me that the webbing will leave the hammock on one side, go around the tree ( sometimes a thick tree), then come back to the hammock and attach to the bow line hat has been tied in the webbing. This would seem to hold the end of the hammock apart somewhat, potentially. IOW, the tree might serve as a bit of a spreader bar, especially if a larger tree and maybe if you are fairly close to the tree? As opposed to being pulled together as tight as possible, coming to a "point". in the case of only a single line coming back to the hammock from the tree.. This makes me wonder if this will effect the comfort in any way. I'll have to check that out.

Ramblinrev
07-16-2008, 15:40
I guess what I still can't grasp is if the attachment mechanism in the hammock channel is not structurally stable then it will all bunch up again, just maybe differently. I can visualize the webbing leaving the channel on one end around the tree and back to the hammock on the other end of the channel. But it would seem to still want to triangulate unless there is some sort of rigid structural piece between to the two ends of the channel. The farther away from the support you get, the more the triangulation would occur. In which case you could not have any kind of consistency in your set up because everything would depend on your distance from the supports and the diameter of the supports.

GrizzlyAdams
07-16-2008, 15:51
without benefit of observed data, it seems to me that wherever there is load on the body of the hammock, that will pull the material in towards the hammock along the webbing, causing bunching. Won't get that on the sides, but will get that in the middle. The only thing that keeps fabric from bunching up to a single mathematical point at the bottom of the loop is the density of the fabric itself---and that's not much to resist the load of human pulling down on the hammock body. Can't see that anything will happen except that the fabric bunches as tightly as it can in the apex of that V, and what happens with the cord beyond that bunching is entirely immaterial.

makes me think that there's not much you can do to affect the lay of the hammock, although the argument admits for something like the flopiness of the sides being affected, potentially.

my $0.05 for the day! (slow day...)

Grizz

BillyBob58
07-16-2008, 22:57
I played around some this afternoon with this set up, and I couldn't tell much difference. I had the stock set up on the foot end, and a Spiderline/cinch buckle/webbing on the other. Both appeared to bunch up about the same amount. But this was wit the hammock stand, might be a little different close to a large tree. Or, might not.