PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

ataylor
02-26-2012, 19:43
Let's assume that I'm about to buy an ENO doublenest. I don't want to change the rope/carabiner to a whoopie sling. (I don't want to void the warranty.) If I go with tree hugger straps, what's the best way to hook the existing 'biner to them? Sorry if this has already been covered, I just couldn't find it...

Shug
02-26-2012, 19:50
Most tree huggers have loops on both ends. Get those kind and clip the biner right through the loop.
Carry forth.....and happy hang.
Shug

D Ring
02-26-2012, 20:03
Hennessy has some nice 2" wide and long with loops works great with eno no stretch.

Snaggletooth
02-26-2012, 21:01
I have an Eno double nest (REI garage sale) it comes with HEAVY biners.I would just replace them with something much lighter and use webbing with or without whoopie slings . You don't have to alter anything on the hammock itself. What I did was get the Jacks R Better suspension kit to use with it. I read that the Eno webbing stretches too much but can't verify.

sargevining
02-26-2012, 21:42
I like descender rings with straps.

futbolfreak08
02-26-2012, 21:46
I have seen people just tie a basic loop into the strap and clip into that. Only problem is untying knots in straps is a pain. You might be able to use a quick release knot but I wouldn't know which knot to tell you to use. Good luck.

For the record, if you replace the rope and biners you can easily put them back on if you don't want to void any warranty. Just make sure to pay close attention to how the rope was tied so you can retie if needed.

Bubba
02-26-2012, 21:53
If you don't want to change anything, and simply want to attach webbing to the stock set up, try this shown at around 2:00 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE7dx0WJo9o

It's pretty easy to untie, and is secure. All you need is 12 to 15 feet of webbing.

ernesthemmingway
02-26-2012, 22:36
The rope and biner that come with the hammock wont make it incompatible with a whoopie sling. The biners are really there only for you to attach the hammock to whatever suspension system you want to use. The rope that comes with the hammock isnt really long enough to be used by itself.

I bought the ENO slap-strap suspension with my singlenest, and I've been pretty unhappy with it. It does stretch and it isnt very adjustable. I would suggest going with one of the other suspension systems that the forum members have suggested.

one more thing... Dont pack those carabiners down into the stuff sack with your hammock, leave them hanging outside. I just read a post about a person's doublenest hammock getting caught up in and torn by the biner. happy hammocking

EZ-E
02-27-2012, 09:07
I bought some polyester tie down straps. Took the strap out of the adjuster and took the hook off the strap. I took the carabiners off my DN and tied my toggles to the rope ends so I don't lose them.
To hang the hammock I run the straps around the tree and pass the end of the strap through the loop end and snug it up.
Then I tie a marlin spike hitch and loop the DN rope over it (on the Knot, not the Toggle - Watch Shug's videos:lol:). After doing it a few times, it's really quick and easy.

Mongo18
02-27-2012, 09:35
I would take the heavy Biners off and leave the rope in the channels and simply attatch the whoopie slings to the rope this way you have full use and adjustability of the whoopie slings. or if you don't mind the heavy Biner attach the whoopie sling to the biner itself.

PapaSmurf
02-27-2012, 10:03
Perhaps I'm missing it, but I don't see anything in the warranty that would prohibit you from removing the ropes/carabiners.

http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/SARP.html

If you simply want to add straps to your existing setup, you might want to consider using the Python Straps from Kammock rather than the SlapStraps from ENO?

http://www.kammok.com/product-p/11003.htm

Southpaw
02-27-2012, 10:21
The caribiner on an ENO is tied on with a rope and knot. If you wanted to change your suspension, just keep the rope and knot so you could put it back on if you like. If I remember correctly you said you live in Franklin? I could meet up with you sometime and show you so whoopie slings or adjustable webbing.

Boomer
03-01-2012, 00:26
Definitely avoid the ENO straps if you can. I have the Pythons & like them; however they're a bit on the heavy side. You won't need them if you get whoopies. I'd trade out the ENO biners too. They have a really sharp edge that catches. I wouldn't worry about the warranty. I've had 3 DNs and they are great. Just switch out the heavy stuff (the line that they use to whip the end channel weigh about as much as the whole whoopie for that end. Use a lightweight climbing biner or just a stick on a toggle to the strap).