PDA

View Full Version : Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro

Arson
02-27-2012, 12:24
I've just ordered a GTSBP. I was originally going to order the UL, but when I called, and my supplier talked to the distributer, they recommended the Pro.
He said that gaining a foot of length, having a thicker material, and therefore a greater weight capacity was well worth the extra 8oz..
He's had many UL come back damaged because the material on the UL was just too thin, and would tear.
I fancy myself as being a guy who tries to keep his gear as light as possible, but after hearing about some of the possible problems I could have with the UL, I decided on the Pro.
I should have asked the Pro's first though (You guys), and gotten your opinion on the subject.
To be honest I came really close to ordering both and doing a head to head comparison. I still may do that. For the price of these hammocks..... Why not?
What do you guys think of the Pro vs. the UL?

jbrianb
02-27-2012, 14:49
I've got the pro model and it's heavy. I wish I had gotten the UL. The length and durability are the tradeoff, but the SBP is one heavy dude. Just my thoughts.

Arson
02-27-2012, 15:43
Well I picked up the SBP from my supplier today. Your right, it's heavy, but I'm pleased with the fit and finish so far. I've pulled it out and looked at the stitching and it looks good. I'll hang it in the fire bay tomorrow and see how she hangs. I'm heading out to the woods this weekend, and I hope the Woopie slings and tree straps that I ordered from AHE arrive before then, so I can try them out as well. I received an e-mail from Paul saying he's going to try and help me out and get them to me by then.

Naegling
02-27-2012, 21:23
Hey Arson -

Hello from a fellow "foundation saver":D -

Is there a big difference between the SBP and the regular old Skeeter Beater? I just picked up a Skeeter Beater off Ebay for $31. It's yet to arrive, but I was wondering on the weight difference.

I've got a number of UL's that I keep for family members for camping. I picked them up off Amazon last summer for something like $13 shipped. Keep an eye out, they are well worth keeping around just for a day hike even.

Also - I've thrown my hammock up a couple times in the bays... I get some strange looks from my shift mates.

jbrianb
02-28-2012, 00:00
I've been pleased with my GTSBP. I don't love everything about any hammock -- including some of my own creations -- but I like more about the SBP than I don't. My ONLY criticism is the weight. It's a good hammock. Well made. Good materials. Weight may be a small tradeoff.

I think, Naegling, that the SBP and the SB are different in a couple of ways. The SB (and the SBUL) are made with different material and there may be a carabiner vs. S hook difference, too, if I recall correctly. Could be a size difference, too.

thehikingengineer
02-28-2012, 00:55
What did those of you who've already used yours overnight think of the SB Pro in terms of comfort? On a related note, have any of you tried sleeping in it with a foam pad?

rigidpsycho
02-28-2012, 17:24
I have the Pro and it is pretty much my go to hammock. Mine is a little heavier since I modified it to a dbl layer using my first Pro when the netting ripped. But Im not to worried about weight.

jbrianb
02-28-2012, 20:34
What did those of you who've already used yours overnight think of the SB Pro in terms of comfort? On a related note, have any of you tried sleeping in it with a foam pad?

I have... I think $ for $, this is a terrific hammock.

Pros:
1) Comfortable - This hammock has a "big canvas" for a single hammock. Lots of room to sprawl out and the fabric is soft.
2) Ease of use (all in 1 design).
3) Sturdy - Good materials and well crafted for durability.
4) Tremendously affordable.

Cons:
1) Suspension system is not tree friendly (ropes can cut into the cambrian layer).
2) All-in-one design may not work for some folks.
3) No usable ridgeline (non-structural ridgeline is above the bug screen).
4) Weight.

Pads slip and slide in any hammock and this one is no exception. Most hammockers start off with a foam pad. Most hammockers end up with underquilts. The GTSB won't change that.

Tumbleweedz
03-26-2012, 15:06

I just added a Big Agnes bag with the compatible air mattress (fits in the pocket in the bottom of the bag instead of loft). I love the system but I will say that I learned after spending last Saturday night in my SBP with the system, that it is very difficult to get at an angle. It really wants to go east/west. With that said. It was a very comfortable night. I do want to look into a structural ridgeline. I know that somewhere on the forum someone showed an upgrade to the Skeeter Beater Pro where they did add a structural ridgeline, Does anyone know where that is?

Shotgunred
03-26-2012, 16:28
Here ya go!
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5045

mrcheviot
03-27-2012, 11:55
The SBPro ridgeline mod is pretty straightforward. At each end, I stitched two strips of grosgrain onto both sides of the bug net, making sure that the lower edges overlapped w/ the nylon. Then I used my camp stove to heat up a thin screwdriver and made a clean, small hole (soldering iron tip on hand was too thin). Loop the ridgeline around your suspension and you're good to go.

It works fairly well, I have it a bit tight in the second pic as I was messing around with it while shooting. There's still too much bug netting to deal with though, IMO.

Pics attached.

Tumbleweedz
03-28-2012, 13:45
Thanks for the ridgeline stuff guys.

Buffalo Skipper
04-05-2012, 09:19
Sorry if I am late to the party, but I've been off the net for a bit. Crazy busy at work. But I digress.

I have been using the SBPro for 18 months now, and between scouts and personal trips, I have logged 55 nights in the SBPro with overnight lows from 21° to 80°. Great hammock. If you want to see my "latest" round of mods (namely the addition of a SRL) see my post here:
Skeeter Beeter Pro upgrades (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35208)

As you now own the SBPro, I cant' tell you alot that you don't already know. Mine with whoopies (including plus straps and toggles) and the SRL weighs in at 28 oz. Not extremely lightweight, but not bad.

Before I added the SRL, it was easy to simply flip the hammock over to use it without the bug net. It is my preference to sleep open in the winter, as I have found that inside the bug net in winter traps moisture, and everything inside is slightly damp when I wake up. Now that the SRL runs through the bug net, it takes a small effort (and about 3 minutes at home) to detach the SRL, fish it out of the netting, and reattach it outside of the net (for winter use), and a minute or so longer to re-rig it months later for spring/summer/fall use. Eventually, it is my intention to pick up a second, open gathered end hammock for winter use, hopefully by the next cold season.

In the meantime, I look forward to every night I sleep in my SBPro, over sleeping in my bed at home. Always a good night's sleep, regardless of the weather.

Anthonysmithxr
05-15-2012, 18:27
I've got the regular skeeter beeter. I used it 2-3 times before the net ripped at the seam. Called gt and there shipping me a pro. In the meantime I've been using it every night in Mexico (about a week now) and I love the comfort. It is VERY thin and prone to small rips and snags. If anything at all catches the fabric it will snag or even rip. I'm looking forward to trying the SBP when I get back home to FL next week.

dixoncreations
05-23-2012, 17:37
Ready to buy my first hammock. Want it for motorcycle camping and trips to Nicaragua. Bugs are a definite issue most places I go.

Borrowed a friend's ENO two days ago and gave it a test. At the time ENO was all i'd ever heard of and I pretty much what I thought was "top of the line"...

then I discovered this site... :lol:

Trying to decide if I should get the GTSBP now or wait a bit longer and get the WBBB 1.7 DL.

I'm a big boy. 6'4" / 300#, shedding pounds as we speak, but as of now I definitely need the load capacity both offer. Weight isn't an issue because i'm not backpacking or anything. I really don't care about a few pounds of weight savings.

I know both include bug netting. The GTSBP seems like a great value but I tend to buy things without the intention of upgrading later. I have a feeling i'll immediately be waiting to upgrade to the WBBB.

Anybody have experience with both? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance for putting up with my newbitutde.

rigidpsycho
05-23-2012, 17:58
I have never tried the WBBB, but I do use my SBPro alot and love the thing. It is so roomy.

Moondoggy
05-23-2012, 18:02
I have a GTSB regular and I removed the metal hooks and replaced them with UL biners. It's my summer hammock I wish I had gotten the pro for the extra leg room! Not that it's small but extra wiggle room is always welcome! You won't notice the weight difference if the rest of your gear is lightweight!

BIG JEFF
05-23-2012, 18:38
You would love the wbbb. I am a big guy 325# and the bb feels even larger than my hh safarie but much lighter and the double bottem makes inserting a sleeping pad very easy. I use a cheep walmart blue pad or a piece of milar reflectx also from walmart in rolls cut to fit your body

GrayDog
05-23-2012, 18:58
One of the best/worst things about the pro is the netting.

Best: If you want to go "topless", just flip the hammock over so the netting is on the bottom

Worst: Having the same amount of netting as hammock means that you have gobs and gobs left over when the netting is on top.

Comfort wise, I absolutely love mine but I've heard that the WBBB is also very comfy.

I guess, in the end, it came down to my beer budget although I dream of one day moving up to the WBBB.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Happy Hanging, once you get off the ground, you'll never go back!

Dog

Anthonysmithxr
05-24-2012, 13:28
I know of big guys in your range that use the UL skeeter beeter. I'd bet it will work. In my short experience though, I'd say go with the pro. It is much heartier and stands up to the thistles and sticks that will undoubtedly snag it from time to time. And it's HUGE! Always a plus.

knowmad
05-26-2012, 12:04
I have the pro and the ultra light. and I cant complain about them at all. the pro has tie out that makes it a little more roomy kinda. I keep the ultra light with my fishing gear now. I use the both equally. cant say one is better than the other.

dixoncreations
05-27-2012, 13:01
Thanks to everybody for their input. I can see now this is an awesome community to be a part of.

I've pretty much decided on the WBBB 1.7 DL ...mainly because if I don't get it now I know I'll constantly wondering if it's any better and will end up getting it anyway, so I might as well get it the first time around. I'm a little more inclined toward it for the dual layers that will make it easy to use a pad, in addition to the netting system being more compatible with a ridge line and tarp configuration without mods.