PDA

View Full Version : F&"#!!! Just made a huge hole on my neting. NO FIRE INSIDE HAMMOCK.

elcolombianito
06-20-2008, 12:34
So, for six months I was able to take good care of my expedition asym. Today, hopped in and saw a little piece of green fluffy extra fabric sticking out between the netting and the hammock, so i decided to put some fire to it... Just like deciding to crash your favorite Bentley against a metallic building, you will regret it and wont even try to figure out why on earth you decided to do such a thing. The fluffy thing went up in flames and burnt the netting instantly. Just a 1/2 cm hole. Now any small stretch such as pulling out the side guys and it gets bigger, so i basically lost my netting.
I'm just thinking of getting a new HH. I could try to sew a new netting back or begin a DIY but here in my country we don't have access to the same quality of material the netting is made of.
Is there any recommendation (besides never using a lighter inside the hammock again) form you HH lovers, In the sense of upgrading from the expedition or should I stick to the exp.?

Ramblinrev
06-20-2008, 12:38
note to self... leave fluffy green things in netting.... gotcha.....

angrysparrow
06-20-2008, 12:47
Are you happy with the HH? If not, it is a good time to perhaps try another type. If so, perhaps your current one can be repaired?

You could certainly contact HH about the matter. Or you could look into either fixing it yourself or see about 2Questions HH Zipper Mod (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3600) Service. They do zipper installs on HH's, so they might be able to just put new netting on at the same time.

Either way - Your point is well taken. Flame should be used extremely carefully around netting and nylon.

adam.skinner
06-20-2008, 13:01
Might I suggest duct tape?

jeffjenn
06-20-2008, 13:02
In this pic from your gallery:
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3516&catid=member&imageuser=1597
Where is the netting? & what is the brown swing looking thing?
BYW thats a fine looking camping buddy you have!

elcolombianito
06-20-2008, 13:27
Are you happy with the HH? If not, it is a good time to perhaps try another type. If so, perhaps your current one can be repaired?

You could certainly contact HH about the matter. Or you could look into either fixing it yourself or see about 2Questions HH Zipper Mod (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3600) Service. They do zipper installs on HH's, so they might be able to just put new netting on at the same time.

Either way - Your point is well taken. Flame should be used extremely carefully around netting and nylon.

Tried the Clark jungle type, I prefer hh, its more like the Mayan type hammocks im used to since little in which you can achieve flatness. Shipping from and to this country is kind of expensive, so in regard to a solution involving sending away my hammock to be sent back repaired, its cheaper to buy a new one.

In this pic from your gallery:
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3516&catid=member&imageuser=1597
Where is the netting? & what is the brown swing looking thing?
BYW thats a fine looking camping buddy you have!

The netting is to my right, a bit stretched since im using the hammocks as "lounger" and the gray rock behind it makes it look as if it were transparent, but there it is. The brown swing is the feet support of a hanging chair. I used this swing to leave my dirty sandals at night when going to sleep to avoid getting the hh dirty inside. In regards to my buddy, she started sleeping with me outside under the hammock when i began using the hex fly. With the stock fly she'd only visit me during the day.

jeffjenn
06-20-2008, 13:33
Could you possibly use 2 small pcs of clear tape? One on each side stuck face to face through the holes of the bugnet. Maybe not the very best solution but since it is a small hole this may not be too bad? I have used a clear tent repair tape (can't remember where I got it) to fix a hole in a tent which was placed there by some hungry racoons. I looked & worked ok.

elcolombianito
06-20-2008, 13:38
As a temporary fix I mixed adam.skinner and jeffjen's advice: Duck tape inside and outisde stuck face to face throught the hole. Its not getting bigger, but, before this solution it got aboput 2 inches big. Anyway thanks.

Ramblinrev
06-20-2008, 13:47
if you have an old tent or some other old netting lying around you might try making a patch and sewing it in to original netting. Make it big enough so it overlaps the good net and so you can roll hem the patch to keep it from fraying out. depending on how easy it is to reach you might need a couple of people to do the sewing. One inside and one out. The idea is to stread the tension out over the surrounding good netting.

Hector
06-20-2008, 14:16
You know, I really wish I could laugh at you and tell you I've never done something like that. But you might see my hammock someday, and then you'd know...

I put adhesive nylon patches over the area right away on both sides, cut bigger all the way around. No problems so far.

angrysparrow
06-20-2008, 14:18
You know, I really wish I could laugh at you and tell you I've never done something like that. But you might see my hammock someday, and then you'd know...

I agree. I think everyone here that has 'tinkered' with their hammock(s) has some sort of 'casualty' story.

Ramblinrev
06-20-2008, 14:35
hey.. how do you think we come up with all sorts of alternatives for repair?

Coffee
06-20-2008, 14:44
If it makes you feel any better the first time I hung my hh I didn't realize my butt was hitting the ground. I wore a hole in it before I knew what was up.

Sewing a patch on shouldn't be too hard. On a side note I love the feeling of buying a brand new expensive piece of gear, than taking it home and cutting and modifing it until it works perfectly.

te-wa
06-20-2008, 14:54
i can send you a patch material via USPS. Shipping a 1oz envelope to Colombia should be cheap enough, and under 13oz or so doesnt require customs inspection. I have some no-see-um in black. How about a square foot of it and then you just use superglue to fix the hole?

elcolombianito
06-20-2008, 17:14
i can send you a patch material via USPS. Shipping a 1oz envelope to Colombia should be cheap enough, and under 13oz or so doesnt require customs inspection. I have some no-see-um in black. How about a square foot of it and then you just use superglue to fix the hole?

:D that would be great.

Doctari
06-21-2008, 10:20
Sorry, but that is so funny. :D

Another hammockers "sounded like a good idea at the time."

I nearly lost my over quilt while cooking under my tarp & sitting in my hammock. Thankfully, when the quilt fell out of my hammock it missed my stove by about 3 inches. Cooking under my tarp sounded like a good idea at the time.

It was my first day on a planned 25 day hike.

Pokey
01-15-2009, 10:26
I recently destroyed the netting on my Exped - torn straight across from tie out to tie out.
Apparenlty only Hennessy will do the repair (I've checked with 2Q/ZQ), but I think I would like to try "top loading" for a while - at least while I'm trying to use the SS - with which I always found it very difficult using the "birth canal".
If, when the weather warms, I get bugged too much, I might try some other netting option since I think the permanently attached netting has proven to be a little "extreme" for me.
Does this plan sound crazy to anyone? Is there some reason the Exped won't "work" w/o the attached netting?
Also, any suggestions on how to (or how not to) remove the netting?
Thanks.

warbonnetguy
01-15-2009, 15:07
As a temporary fix I mixed adam.skinner and jeffjen's advice: Duck tape inside and outisde stuck face to face throught the hole. Its not getting bigger, but, before this solution it got aboput 2 inches big. Anyway thanks.

you could do this permanently by using a stick on ripstop patch on each side as well.

HappyCamper
01-15-2009, 18:05
I tell my son over and over, there are no new mistakes under the sun. If you've done it, somebody else has also. Don't waste your energy being embarrassed or mad at yourself. Be patient and put that energy toward figuring out a good way to fix it! Hah, I should listen to my own advice! I've thrown quite a few sewing projects into the trash from sheer frustration. lol.

Spock
01-15-2009, 18:18
If the hole is only 1/2 cm, just pinch it closed and hand stitch over it. It will crease the netting a little, but so what? Alternatively, darn it: stitch a circle of thread in and out around the hole tie a knot in it and pull it closed as a drawstring.

TiredFeet
01-15-2009, 19:15
If you have access to a fabric store, they would probably have chiffon in stock. You can make a good patch for the netting from chiffon. Just hand stitch in place.

T-BACK
01-16-2009, 07:57
If the hole is only 1/2 cm, just pinch it closed and hand stitch over it. It will crease the netting a little, but so what? Alternatively, darn it: stitch a circle of thread in and out around the hole tie a knot in it and pull it closed as a drawstring.

I agree. If it is the same material as mine has it has a fair amount of stretch. Sewing it closed should should not be a problem. If it frays easily, bind the edges with superglue before (and after if you like) stitching. Be comforted by the fact that you are not alone in your mishap!:lol: