03-01-2012, 11:18
http://img.tapatalk.com/189eb0d6-a14d-08e6.jpg

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

PapaSmurf
03-01-2012, 11:33
How's it feel?

MedicineMan
03-01-2012, 11:40
Feel like heaven! and you PS are a design genius!!!!!!!!!!!!

R3l@x
03-01-2012, 11:40
Nice. Anything special added to the design?

MedicineMan
03-01-2012, 11:49
No, mine's a straight up Dangerbird....or so i've noticed so far.

dragon360
03-01-2012, 12:11
I am so envying you right now!

Cali
03-01-2012, 12:53
Me too!!!!! :) One of these days. I have been downsizing on hammocks, and hopefully soon I can pull the trigger on a Dangerbird. :)

richtorfla
03-01-2012, 12:57
This has got me intrigued!

PapaSmurf
03-01-2012, 13:11
Me too!!!!! :) One of these days. I have been downsizing on hammocks, and hopefully soon I can pull the trigger on a Dangerbird. :)

Well... maybe you'll get lucky at the SC Spring Swing. :D

mbcruzin
03-01-2012, 13:39
Well... maybe you'll get lucky at the SC Spring Swing. :D
Everyone is invited.

R00K
03-01-2012, 14:05
Jealousy, thy name is Rook.

HappyCamper
03-02-2012, 09:41
Jealousy, thy name is Rook.

:lol::lol::lol:

MM, what's the weight on that lovely hammock?

MedicineMan
03-02-2012, 10:38
HappyCamper-took it down just to weight for you :)
On the Rapala 0.71 kg
On the postal digital 25 ounces.....
So if you think in pounds it is 1.56 pounds.

And I've got some economic impressions.
Poof is studying hammocks to purchase and has seen most of mine, so we crunched some numbers over a bite of bread.
Once we'd hashed the dollars a bit it suddenly hit me that the DangerBird is SERIOUS competition for the others out there. Why?
That listed weight is double bottom, integral bug net, integral over cover, bishop bag and whoopies....for this ingenuity ~and who can deny the integration of the zippers of the netting and over cover is brilliant~ and the included features it is huge dollars lower than the competition--how so you might ask; well say you have a WB Blackbird and want to add an over over. The only one I know of off the shelf is AHE's BBO and that's $75 (I've got one, one of AHE's great gifts to the hammock world and used it at the Ocala hang to get 10F more warmth). What's a current price on whoopies? and tree huggers (also included with the DangerBird)? Probably around $30 as a guess. So your already getting the comfort of a BlackBird but with 100 dollars of accoutrements thrown in.
What do you loose compared to the BlackBird? The shelf and footbox all I've noticed so far; but the DangerBird includes the ridgeline storage bag which offsets some of the lost shelf....but under the hoods are the bags that stow the over cover and bug net. You can get small items there too if needed (think stuffable items like down hood, down gloves).
Now my biggest fear just looking at pics of the Dangerbird prior to ordering was that it looked like a Hennessey--and me thinking it would lay like one. I sleep in a HH Backpacker A-sym kinda often and have years of Hennessey use-my favorite lay of all that I've tried over the years is the BlackBird; so I was most pleasantly surprised to find the DangerBird very similar TO ME in the Blackbird lay.
But you say there is no footbox with the Dangerbird.....true but this is a wide hammock, no footbox is needed.
One more thought-COLOR. Go to PapaSmurf's site and look at the color options. I went with coyote body and green hoods for the muted look and it's a great color scheme for me, but the choices are huge.

Forgot something. I said I took it down to weigh it....but of course while it was up I went through the various combos of netting up/down, over cover up/down and realized when both covers were stowed that this hammock is peapod capable. I'd set it up with the Leighlo 5-50 (Leigh's 0F rated UQ) which is also coyote and green-almost a perfect match!

I have to go back in my cage tonight but will work on a vid soon.

HappyCamper
03-02-2012, 10:52
Thanks MM! Appreciate the quick service. :) And I can't argue with any of the above. Fantastic job by PoppaSmurf. I knew from the width that eliminates the footbox issue. Good to know the lay is similar to BB because I'm soooo comfy in my BB. Having the net cover and the top cover integrated like that IS genius! Especially for shoulder season or winter hammocking. So many of us have experienced that sil tarp spray during a hard rain. Just zip up the no hassle cover and sweet heavenly sleep!

MAD777
03-02-2012, 12:08
I agree, for 25 oz you get a heck of a lot of hammock.
It's not as light as Sgt Rock's ghost hammock, but it's not as scary either :scared:

Sorry, I couldn't pass on that opportunity - what I mean is that they are hammocks with two different objectives and they both meet their objectives very well.

MedicineMan
03-02-2012, 12:28
...the more tools in the box....
Just weighed my double Traveler with whoopies, I'd forgotten the weight. 15.1 ounces.
So 10 ounces for netting, over cover, hoods, stow bags under hoods. You know a lot of add on bug nets are 8 ounces, the BBO probably close to 5 ounces; so again PapaSmurf is very very efficient in material usage.
Just had a thought, does the netting come out if you want with the Dangerbird? Same with the over cover? I didn't think to look when it was up....def. will next time, maybe PS will chime in.
If they do pop out then you really are getting several hammocks in one.

PapaSmurf
03-02-2012, 12:44
Just had a thought, does the netting come out if you want with the Dangerbird? Same with the over cover?

No they are permanently attached and have to ride along every trip, even in hot Summer months. :(

I have a test DangerBird (FreeBird) with removeable netting and overcover, but I had to use a #5 molded tooth zipper, which increases the weight. It's still a little buggy.
Wish I could locate some 116" long, #3 coil separating zippers. Wouldn't that be sweet?

doc
03-02-2012, 14:10
Papasmurf, a "Freebird" is EXACTLY what I've been looking for in my next hammock! Good luck in your design and finding the right materials!

Stormstaff
03-02-2012, 18:45
I was going to be Pappa's test subject for the Freebird but he wasn't happy with the zipper so he didn't want to send that to a customer.

Says something about customer service.