PDA

View Full Version : New Hanger Anxiety

Bling
03-03-2012, 03:46
Hey all, I am new to Hammocks and have a few questions and concerns. I bought an ENO Double a few days ago for use in my bedroom because my bed is no longer working for me. My problem is I don't know if I am doing things right or wrong. I have the hammock hanging as close to 30* as I could guess, but I feel like I am moving around in it wrong. It doesn't help that I also keep hearing what i THINK may or may not be stitches popping at the gathered ends. I have spent the last 4 days trying to search the web, but I can't figure out how to word it so I came here. This is causing me enough anxiety to the point were I can't get a full night sleep because I am scared to move.(Honestly, it still has been better sleep than the bed lol.) I weigh 260 that's why I went with ENO. Is there a wrong way to move around inside the hammock, or am I just being paranoid?

Catavarie
03-03-2012, 06:33
Welcome Aboard!

More than likely what you're hearing is the fabric stretching. If you're concerned that you may fall, take that matress you're no longer using and lay it on the floor under your hammock until you get comfortable with it. I have yet to find a wrong way to move around in a hammock. It can take a lot of shuffing, sliding, and grunting around in (and that's by myself :lol:). Probably the only thing worth worrying about would be the stress you're placing on the structure of your house. It's a hot debate at times here, how to properly hang in your home. But if you're getting better sleep than your bed than you're doing it right. :cool:

Pipsissewa
03-03-2012, 06:56
What he said! :rolleyes:

sparkytxn
03-03-2012, 07:19
No doubt it is weird drifting off to sleep while suspended in the air. The suspension also makes some popping noises... knots pulling tight, rubbing as it moves on hardware, rope stretching, and all amplified by the tight fabric under you like a drum. For me it was like living in an old house - right spooky bunch of noises until I got used to it all.

Bling
03-03-2012, 12:56
Thanks for the boost in confidence, it makes me feel better. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something unusual.

DivaB
03-03-2012, 13:25
The noise from my suspension still bothers me, but I don't hear any from my Eno. I would definitely go with what Catavarie said and put that mattress under you, and wiggle all you want without any fear so that you get the feel of it while being protected if you fall.

bigbamaguy
03-03-2012, 15:16
I have two ENO DN's and outweigh you by 50 lbs.........I have no issues with the ENOs what so ever. Even with the suspension changes, SRL and the dog thrown in with me, I have no doubts that the ENO will hold you.

Bubba
03-03-2012, 23:27
I've been in my ENO with my wife so we were pushing 400 lbs. No worries.
Are you using the ENO slap straps? If you are, the you will find they stretch and continue to do so over the course of the night. The stretching may be contributing to the noises you are hearing. Just make sure your anchor points are solid and if you have nylon webbing, get some polyester webbing for your suspension and you'll be good to go.

ernesthemmingway
03-04-2012, 00:01
I actually sat and watched it while I sat down in the hammock one night. The loudest noise is made by that length of rope at the end of the hammock attached to the carabiner. If theyre twisted when you get in the hammock the "pop" out straight and make a very unsettling but harmless noise.

Catavarie
03-04-2012, 00:48
Just wait till you switch out to whoopies. Nothing like staring at your hammock trying to figure out how those small lines are going to hold your weight. :laugh:

I was all in fits my first time thinking that someone had been messing with me. I probably tugged on those things about 20 times before gingerly lowering my buttocks into the hammock that I had setup a mere 12 inches from the ground, didn't want to fall too far. Once I was completely in the hammock I felt a bit better and reached over the side and pushed against the ground to give myself a little swing. Next thing I knew it was 2 hours later. :lol:

Never looked back since then. :D

HURTHEART
03-04-2012, 18:42
Are you sure it is not your WALLS making the sounds? There is a surprising amount of pull on the ends of your hammock, I was very surprised when I learned how much pull was involved.

One video I was watching on this site suggested being very careful about where you hang your hammock, when using something other than trees.

I do not know if your Home Owner or Renters Insurance will cover damage done by a hammock. Kind of an interesting thought!

If I were Eagles Nest Outfitter, I would not give you advise, for fear of some sort of liabilty issue. Ah, Life in the Sue Happy USA.

ernesthemmingway
03-04-2012, 20:42
Are you sure it is not your WALLS making the sounds? There is a surprising amount of pull on the ends of your hammock, I was very surprised when I learned how much pull was involved.

One video I was watching on this site suggested being very careful about where you hang your hammock, when using something other than trees.

I do not know if your Home Owner or Renters Insurance will cover damage done by a hammock. Kind of an interesting thought!

If I were Eagles Nest Outfitter, I would not give you advise, for fear of some sort of liabilty issue. Ah, Life in the Sue Happy USA.

I tore the drywall all to pieces in my apartment with an improperly installed screw hook. But a little spackling and paint and the landlord will never know.

I would think that if the walls are making noise when you get in your hammock, then something hasnt been done right. a normal 2x4 stud should be able to hold a persons weight if a sturdy screw hook has been installed right in the middle of the stud. im set up that way and havent had any issues with 20+ nights in the hammock so far.

jons4real
03-05-2012, 11:38
I really dont think you have to worry about the weight issue. I'm 300lbs and all but jump around in mine. You will be fine no need to worry. Just take your time. If it helps any place your old mattress under your hammock, should relieve any fear of falling.

Cannibal
03-05-2012, 11:59
I have the hammock hanging as close to 30* as I could guess, but I feel like I am moving around in it wrong. It doesn't help that I also keep hearing what i THINK may or may not be stitches popping at the gathered ends.
Philosophers would refer to this as a leap of faith. You aren't alone in your hesitation. I would bet that most of us spent the first few nights in a hammock with similar concerns. Some of us eventually do go splat, which has created a mantra of "never hang higher than you are willing to fall". But the likelihood of the stitches popping are very, very, very low. It's usually 'stupid' that puts us on the ground...even if it seemed smart at the time. :D

Agreed that your biggest source of worry should come from the manner in which you have attached your hammock to your home. A stand will make that worry go away and enough rocking yourself to sleep in the hammock will make the rest of your fears melt away. We are lucky at our house, we have exposed rafters in the room that we use as a bedroom. Takes all the worry and hassle away. :cool:

If it helps any place your old mattress under your hammock, should relieve any fear of falling.
I actually set-up my first hammock directly above my bed for just this reason. For about 3 weeks, I had to climb out of my hammock in the mornings, onto my bed, then down to the floor. Finally got tired of the extra landing and just ditched the bed. One of the few 'good decisions' I've made in life.

We (GF and I) sleep full-time in hammocks at home. If it helps you understand how well these hammocks are constructed, we aren't so old that all we do in the hammocks is sleep. Haven't hit the ground yet. ;)

Jerry
03-05-2012, 13:33
I remember my first hang in the woods.. MyENO and ENO straps made more noise than i cared to hear....After a few nights it became second nature, I got rid of the ENO straps and bought some of Mules specials.

I weigh in at 250, and move all over the hammock at night, and have yet to have any problems. have faith in your knots, straps, and your bolts in the wall...the rest is easy sleeping...;)
Jerry

Boomer
03-05-2012, 16:51
I have the hammock hanging as close to 30* as I could guess, but I feel like I am moving around in it wrong.

Is it not comfortable? If you have that 30* angle, it should be about right. If less - like I had this past weekend, you'll get shoulder squeeze & it puts you down the middle. I lay diagonal across the centerline as much as I can & can almost sleep on my side.

Atlas918
03-08-2012, 16:57
While 30* is the suggested angle for comfort, all people are different. When all else fails, remember it is your hammock and hang your own hang. If a narrower or bigger angle feels better, then go for it. Try making yourself an adjustable ridge line to experiment with some angles.