PDA

View Full Version : Material Used in Making Patterns

Coffee
01-20-2007, 13:37
I am starting to think about my next project (a cat cut tarp) and want to make a pattern first. I think it will make cutting the cat curves easier. I may want to make a second one sometime and want to make it easier too.

I have used newspapers on my snake skins with limited success. They tend to move around some. I can cover up this in skins, but not a tarp.

I was thinking about using poster board. The only problem will be storage. But I think I can cut it up into sections then tape them together next time I use it.

Any thoughts? What is everyone else using?

Thanks.

blackbishop351
01-20-2007, 14:21
I just made a pattern for the cat cut. The hex shape is pretty easy to lay out, then you just line up the cat pattern with the hex sides and you're good to go.

Coffee
01-20-2007, 14:26
But how can I do wind testing on that? I guess my 3D model will have to do.:D

Sometime I over think the problem. I can do that for this project.

Do you just use poster board?

Perkolady
01-20-2007, 14:45
Just an idea,

When I make large patterns for projects, I sometimes use freezer paper.

It has a platic-y side. You can piece large sections together by overlapping the pieces slightly, then ironing them. They stick together perfectly.

Good luck on your project !

Perkolady

Coffee
01-20-2007, 14:52
Just an idea,

When I make large patterns for projects, I sometimes use freezer paper.

It has a platic-y side. You can piece large sections together by overlapping the pieces slightly, then ironing them. They stick together perfectly.

Good luck on your project !

Perkolady

Does it move around on the material? I do not want to pin the pattern down, that was why I was considering the hard pattern.

blackbishop351
01-20-2007, 17:09
The sil is so slippery that you'll most likely have to secure the pattern somehow. I just made mine out of cardboard - it's really crude, ask NCPatrick - but posterboard would probably work better. I'm notorious for being impatient and winding up using whatever I have on hand :p Anyway, I just either use my body weight to hold the pattern still (I do the layout and cutting on my hardwood floor) or I strategically pile some physics and math books on it :D

Brian
01-20-2007, 20:50
Try making one out of heavier paper and reinforcing the edges with packaging tape; that has worked well for me when I make a pattern here and there.

Perkolady
01-21-2007, 10:18
Does it move around on the material? I do not want to pin the pattern down, that was why I was considering the hard pattern.

Sorry, H/E, I wasn't around to answer...

The freezer paper is heavier, but it can still move around due to the slippery qualities of the fabric. I usually weight it down with something.

Perkolady

headchange4u
01-21-2007, 13:03
When I made my tarp I used Tyvek to make a pattern for the curves. I had a roll so I didn't have to buy anything. A sewing supply store may sell that parchment type paper that most sewing pattern are made from.

Coffee
01-21-2007, 13:14
Thanks for the ideas. I think I can combine a couple of your suggestions. I am going to try some wax paper with packaging/duct tape reinforcing the edges. The tape should stick. If not I'll try some normal paper.

Doctari
01-21-2007, 18:46
When I make patterns for sewing projects, I use a bed sheet. Last one was from Big Lots for about $2.00. Make sure it isn't a fitted one :p

I usually pick a sheet pattern I hate, that way I won't accidently use the material for anything else, & if it's teal all the better (I HATE teal, and it usually contrasts with ANYTHING I may sew).

FYI: I usually touch up the edges with frey check or similar product.

Doctari