PDA

View Full Version : I have seen the light.... Hanging the tarp by itself

Ramblinrev
06-28-2008, 10:39
Well I am taking the plunge to separate the tarp and the hammock from the same suspension lines. I am skinning the tarp, and trying to decide if I will BB bag the hammock or continue to skin it. I like the idea of leaving the tarp skinned to see the sky from the hammock but what really clinched the deal was the realization that if I could get the hammock out of the way under the tarp I could use the tarp for shelter during the day for cooking etc. I can't do that currently. If I BB bag it then I need to rehang each time I want to set back up. Not a problem if I am traveling each day but a pain if I am base camped. I am leaning toward skins.

I have yet to try out the system I have come up with, but I will have the chance to play with it next week. I am leaving everything as is for now so that I can revert to joined hanging if I need to. But I think this will give me enough benefit I won't want to.

angrysparrow
06-28-2008, 11:11
Congratulations on reaching a 'mental milestone' in your hammocking experience.

slowhike
06-28-2008, 21:18
I haven't decided yet my favorite way of stowing the hammock, but I know that I like using skins on the tarp.

tight-wad
06-28-2008, 22:00
I must have been off line when the subject of skins for tarps only came up. hmm... I've always associated skins with HH, the whole shebang. Never thought about making a skin only for the tarp. I use a Black Bishop Bag for the hammock and a stuff sack for the tarp. A skin for the tarp sounds good to me.

Has anyone posted some dimensions/pattern for a tarp skin?

jay590
06-29-2008, 03:42
when using skins on a tarp do people have to seperate pieces of cord attached to each end of the tarp to tie to trees? or do you have a card going all the way under the tarp from 1 tree to the other.

slowhike
06-29-2008, 21:52
when using skins on a tarp do people have to seperate pieces of cord attached to each end of the tarp to tie to trees? or do you have a card going all the way under the tarp from 1 tree to the other.

I believe most people (myself included) have a separate cord attached to each end of the tarp's ridgeline.
The two cords are left hanging out of the ends of the skins, so they are available when you're ready to hang the tarp.

CajunHiker
06-29-2008, 23:26
I've got my HH hex fly in it's own skins, cords at each end with small figure 9's and a velcro wrap to keep the cords. My hammock is separate, also in skins.

6 feet over
07-03-2008, 22:40
The skin I just made for my large 12 X 12 neo tarp is just one long skin (inspired by whoever posted that the big air ball in the center can sometimes be a problem).

I just bunched up the tarp (while still hanging) and grabbed the fattest part and measured around it. I then sewed the skin to that size. Hardly scientific, and most likely not the lightest ones going, but enough for me to get started. Once I get some sil and learn to sew that, I'll make some good ones.

GrizzlyAdams
07-03-2008, 23:43
I must have been off line when the subject of skins for tarps only came up. hmm... I've always associated skins with HH, the whole shebang. Never thought about making a skin only for the tarp. I use a Black Bishop Bag for the hammock and a stuff sack for the tarp. A skin for the tarp sounds good to me.

Has anyone posted some dimensions/pattern for a tarp skin?

So it happens that I made a couple of skins tonight. One for practice to see if the size would work, the other for real.

The tarp being covered is a JRB 11'x10'.

I used HH skins on the hammock last year, and didn't much care for the long tight python shape. It has some advantages, but I'm fond of rectangles I guess.

So my thinking for this skin was to make it big enough so that the tarp inside can be pressed flat, rather than be compressed into a cylinder. Then I can roll the tarp in loosely, press it flatish the whole length, and then fold the skinned tarp up and stick in a sack.

The skin is one piece. I cut it from some $1 tulle I got from WalMart. Interesting stuff...it is very stretchy in one dimension, and not stretchy at all in the other. The stiff dimension is the long one on the roll, which is just what I'd want for the skins if I had to choose. Make the length rigid but allow stretch in the the short dimension.

OK, so I cut it 12' long by 14" wide. I brought the long edges together, and sewed them together inside of a length of wide bias tape. At the endpoints of the skin I sewed on separate channels for draw-cords.

Pretty easy to make, and it works just as I'd hoped. Right now it is folded up and in a spare sack at 7" wide, 11" tall, 2" deep. (HC4U suggested sewing the skins into the sack itself. I've not done that yet, but am thinking about it. I'd have to make a new sack. At the moment I'm using an existing one).

Grizz

Peter_pan
07-04-2008, 07:35
There really is no need for anything to handle a tarp easily and efficiently....

The technique that I've used for years.

First gather pegs.....roll the "down STLs around three or four fingers , wrat the last 3 feet around the roll and finish with a slip....( later they will unroll with a single turn and never tangle...and for now they will make the remainder of this simple)....Untie one end from tree 1....grasp the ridge tab..... walk over to the other ridge tab.... gasp in same hand.... pull slip knot on tree 2.... let ridge cords dangle.... find ridge seam center with free hand....extend both arms in front....place chin over "new" center.... take original center to the ridge tabs, grasp all.... fold again, and again.... with free hand pull ridge cords off to one side.... Now, from the ridge fold or roll to the open edges, flip the last 10 inches into the roll for a nice clean bundle.... roll the two ridge cords around the folded/rolled bundle.... Stick it in an outer pocket.... DONE.

Note, if wet or rainy follow aboveprocedure... just shake off at each step.... Really easy to do.

This is a 60 to 90 second drill..... never tangles.... And is ready for immediate deployment...Guarenteed as fast as SS to deploy for an afternoon storm or a lunch cover.

Bonus, it does not require snake skins, Bbishop bag or stuff sack, thus it saves 1-3 oz depending on what you use, also save the cost in $ and time to make/buy SS etc....

Try it you may like it.....

Pan

jay590
07-04-2008, 17:06
There really is no need for anything to handle a tarp easily and efficiently....

The technique that I've used for years.

First gather pegs.....roll the "down STLs around three or four fingers , wrat the last 3 feet around the roll and finish with a slip....( later they will unroll with a single turn and never tangle...and for now they will make the remainder of this simple)....Untie one end from tree 1....grasp the ridge tab..... walk over to the other ridge tab.... gasp in same hand.... pull slip knot on tree 2.... let ridge cords dangle.... find ridge seam center with free hand....extend both arms in front....place chin over "new" center.... take original center to the ridge tabs, grasp all.... fold again, and again.... with free hand pull ridge cords off to one side.... Now, from the ridge fold or roll to the open edges, flip the last 10 inches into the roll for a nice clean bundle.... roll the two ridge cords around the folded/rolled bundle.... Stick it in an outer pocket.... DONE.

Note, if wet or rainy follow aboveprocedure... just shake off at each step.... Really easy to do.

This is a 60 to 90 second drill..... never tangles.... And is ready for immediate deployment...Guarenteed as fast as SS to deploy for an afternoon storm or a lunch cover.

Bonus, it does not require snake skins, Bbishop bag or stuff sack, thus it saves 1-3 oz depending on what you use, also save the cost in $ and time to make/buy SS etc....

Try it you may like it.....

Pan

i dont really understand you way of doing that. would you be able to post some pictures?

Peter_pan
07-04-2008, 21:57
i dont really understand you way of doing that. would you be able to post some pictures?

sorry jay i don't do pictures.

Pan

QChan
07-09-2008, 00:14
I won't lie pan. I don't quite get it either.

goldbond
07-09-2008, 06:08
OK guys new to hammocking and new to some of the terminology. Bishop bag? I have a HH Exp Deluxe A-sym and I want to buy a Deluxe MacCat. Is this doable? I use the skins but I wrap it all up together...is this a bad thing? The HH Del is rather bulky and I think a little heavy when all skined together, anyone else agree/disagree.
Thank for not laughing and for your patience and help!

GrizzlyAdams
07-09-2008, 09:09
OK guys new to hammocking and new to some of the terminology. Bishop bag? I have a HH Exp Deluxe A-sym and I want to buy a Deluxe MacCat. Is this doable? I use the skins but I wrap it all up together...is this a bad thing? The HH Del is rather bulky and I think a little heavy when all skined together, anyone else agree/disagree.
Thank for not laughing and for your patience and help!

1. Bishop bag == stuff sack with a modification so that a suspension cord passes through the bottom. Works like a skin, but is a normal stuff sack except for this modification. Named after HF member BlackBishop351.

2. I have used a MacCat Deluxe over an HH Explorer Deluxe. Adequate size.

3. My preference is when I'm done packing a hammock or a tarp, the resulting shape better resembles a rectangle than it does a large intestine. I don't use the HH skins anymore, moved on to DIY solutions.

4. Who's laughing? We all climbed the hammocking learning curve.

5. Grizz

goldbond
07-09-2008, 10:20
1. Bishop bag == stuff sack with a modification so that a suspension cord passes through the bottom. Works like a skin, but is a normal stuff sack except for this modification. Named after HF member BlackBishop351.

2. I have used a MacCat Deluxe over an HH Explorer Deluxe. Adequate size.

3. My preference is when I'm done packing a hammock or a tarp, the resulting shape better resembles a rectangle than it does a large intestine. I don't use the HH skins anymore, moved on to DIY solutions.

4. Who's laughing? We all climbed the hammocking learning curve.

5. Grizz

Thanks for all your help. I have certainaly enjoyed this site. Such a positive change! You are right about the learning curve!

riverkeeper
07-09-2008, 11:15
Pan--
Think I can picture your idea mentally assuming 'STLs' means the tarp's ground lines. ?? Will give it a try.

CajunHiker--
Are those skins for the Hex the HH SS#4(which Hennessy recomended) or DIY (one or two skins?) or what? Hate to expose a big buck tarp to our native pricker-thorny flora.

Lately I mostly use a HH Explorer tarp over Speer-types or over a HH Backpacker (tarp and hammer in separate skins) but do use the Hex several times per year in the wet season (which is virtually all year ).

cdnrogue
11-16-2012, 15:40
Does any one make/sell bishop bags any more? I don't have a sewing machine and from what I imagine, that is would be alot of sewing.

GroundHog
11-16-2012, 18:31
Not exactly a Bishop Bag, (the Bishop Bag only has a small opening on one end for one of the lines to pass through; the other end is a regular stuff sack) but basically the same idea...Double ended stuff sack..

http://wildernesslogics.com/HAMMOCK-BAGS-HAMMOCK-BAGS.htm

MAD777
11-16-2012, 18:39
I rigged up a single line suspension recently, supporting both tarp & hammock. But, I quickly abandoned it for my old separate setup. I love my tarp skins, too.

cdnrogue
11-16-2012, 19:08
Not exactly a Bishop Bag, (the Bishop Bag only has a small opening on one end for one of the lines to pass through; the other end is a regular stuff sack) but basically the same idea...Double ended stuff sack..

Thanks Groundhog, that is what I am looking for!!! Now I just have to find out how much they charge to ship to Canada.

BillyBob58
11-17-2012, 00:06

I won't lie pan. I don't quite get it either.

I think I get it. Sounds like he is just folding it up. When I don't have skins, I just untie one end and roll the tarp up towards the other end. I may have to try Pan's method.

RRev, my 2nd yr hammock camping, I had an HH + Super Shelter ( but not the pad ) in one set of skins and the tarp in a separate skins. I would take my pad and TQ out and put in a sep dry sack, then skin the tarp in one set of skins plus the hammock/ +SS UC in another. It worked great, very fast!

geektar
11-22-2012, 18:20
I too prefer not using skins I fold mine and put into stuff sack.

Boon Booni
11-28-2012, 11:21
Does any one make/sell bishop bags any more? I don't have a sewing machine and from what I imagine, that is would be alot of sewing.

A bishop bag is super easy to make.

Buy a stuff sack. Sew a button hole into the bottom, and then split the fabric with a seam ripper.

Of course my machine has a button hole mode which makes it even more super easy.

Ramblinrev
11-28-2012, 19:18
A bishop bag is super easy to make.

Buy a stuff sack. Sew a button hole into the bottom, and then split the fabric with a seam ripper.

Of course my machine has a button hole mode which makes it even more super easy.

Burn the hole. Self sealing. No sewing. No fuss minimal muss.

DuctTape
11-28-2012, 19:28
My method is similar to Pan's.

I also do the lines the same way. But before I untie an end from the tree, I shake as much wetness off as I can, then I flip the tarp over so it is wet-side to wet- side )unless it si currently raining). Then, similar to pan, I untie one side. But instead of bringing it to the other end, I fold it back and forth at about 1 foot intervals. When I get to the other tree, I pull the slippery tautline hitch and then roll down from the ridge to the loose end. This allows residual moisture to be squeezed out. As I get close to the end, I tuck the the lines in, and use the tree lines to tie up the bundle. This gets put into the bag and an outside pocket on my pack. Probably a pain to understand when written out, but quite simple in practice. Allows for quick pack-up and deployment and no tangled lines.

Rockdawg69
11-28-2012, 20:13
My method is similar to Pan's.

I also do the lines the same way. But before I untie an end from the tree, I shake as much wetness off as I can, then I flip the tarp over so it is wet-side to wet- side )unless it si currently raining). Then, similar to pan, I untie one side. But instead of bringing it to the other end, I fold it back and forth at about 1 foot intervals. When I get to the other tree, I pull the slippery tautline hitch and then roll down from the ridge to the loose end. This allows residual moisture to be squeezed out. As I get close to the end, I tuck the the lines in, and use the tree lines to tie up the bundle. This gets put into the bag and an outside pocket on my pack. Probably a pain to understand when written out, but quite simple in practice. Allows for quick pack-up and deployment and no tangled lines.

Pack Towels!!!! Do it before breakfast. Shake it down, wipe it down, ring out, and do it again. EAT! Roll it from each end and Skin it as you go. SpinTex drys faster than sil.

Lupus
11-28-2012, 21:19
. . . if I could get the hammock out of the way under the tarp I could use the tarp for shelter during the day for cooking etc. I can't do that currently. . .

One caution, if you cook under your tarp, it will smell like food. Not a good thing to be sleeping under anywhere bears are active. I don't know how many bears, if any, are in your area, but it is something to think about.

DuctTape
11-28-2012, 21:53
Pack Towels!!!! Do it before breakfast. Shake it down, wipe it down, ring out, and do it again. EAT! Roll it from each end and Skin it as you go. SpinTex drys faster than sil.

On longer distance trips I am up and walking within 15 minutes. I stop to eat breakfast after a few miles and watch the sunrise. At some point in the day I may lay out the tarp to dry in the sun if possible (and necessary). Usually around lunch #2 when I take a nap. Spinn definitely dries fast though!

weaver2469
11-28-2012, 23:17

Or this cuben one.....

http://www.lukesultralite.com/products/gear