PDA

View Full Version : 3/4 UQ for GA

Dutch
06-29-2008, 13:05
I am planning on doing the first 100 miles of the AT ( Springer to Franklin ) next week. When I hiked the trail in 2003 I hiked through there in April. It was still cold and especially Standing Indian Mt where there was snow. I want to use my 3/4 UQ for the first time. I looked up the forcast and the average temps for Franklin NC and both expect a low of 65. So I was hoping someone that hikes around there would confirm that those averages will not much lower in the mountains. I would think if there is ever a time to hike with a 3/4 UQ, Georgia in July would be the time.
My UQ is about 3/4 inch to 1 inch thick.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/9/100_0628_575990_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3091&c=member&imageuser=409)

I'm pretty sure it is ok but some word of confidence from somone with experience would be appreciated.

tight-wad
06-29-2008, 15:07
Don't have July experience in that stretch, but can affirm that in August its hot, even on the ridges at night. Your quilt will probably be plenty, if not overkill.

A more important question for the locals is: What is the water situation? Last year there were some L-O-N-G stretches between trickles.

Cannibal
06-29-2008, 18:10
I'm down to one layer of Climashield XP in my Warbonnet 3/4. I got a little cool the other night at about 52 degrees, but otherwise it's perfect.

ENJOY the hike!

GrizzlyAdams
06-29-2008, 22:22
yo Dutch,
have a great time on that hike. I just had a way-too-short hike on the trail in New Hampshire. Wished I could have just kept going...

Grizz

Youngblood
06-30-2008, 06:16
I am planning on doing the first 100 miles of the AT ( Springer to Franklin ) next week. When I hiked the trail in 2003 I hiked through there in April. It was still cold and especially Standing Indian Mt where there was snow. I want to use my 3/4 UQ for the first time. I looked up the forcast and the average temps for Franklin NC and both expect a low of 65. So I was hoping someone that hikes around there would confirm that those averages will not much lower in the mountains. I would think if there is ever a time to hike with a 3/4 UQ, Georgia in July would be the time.
My UQ is about 3/4 inch to 1 inch thick.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/0/9/100_0628_575990_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=3091&c=member&imageuser=409)

I'm pretty sure it is ok but some word of confidence from somone with experience would be appreciated.

I don't think that amount of insulation on the bottom is going to overwhelm you, I think you will be fine with it. Just put it on when it is cool enough to need bottom side insulation and vent your top side insulation as needed.

Dutch
06-30-2008, 07:43
yo Dutch,
have a great time on that hike. I just had a way-too-short hike on the trail in New Hampshire. Wished I could have just kept going...

Grizz

Next time you come out to the east coast let me know. I don't need much of a reason to blow off work and go hiking.

Thanks for the words of confidence about the temperature from everyone. If the UQ is wrong I can always get something at Neels Gap anyhow. No more worries, just some final planning and get my husbandly chores all caught up.

DGrav
06-30-2008, 08:04
Dutch,
I'm not to sure about July in Georgia but I was in the NJ Pine Barrens this weekend and it dropped to 69 at night and I was fine with only my stealth on top and nothing underneath.

Have a great trip!

*HangMan*
06-30-2008, 10:21
I stopped at Winding Stair Gap in Mid May, very wet, but not too bad temp wise. Make sure you bottle up that water there from the pipe near the road at WSG! Dave (Ron Haven's shuttle driver) told me people come miles around to fill their home water jugs up there. Sure enough, we watched them as we waited to shuttle. Good cold water, but needless to say I was tired of water and craved a Franklin beer and steak :D

Take-a-knee
06-30-2008, 10:34
I just completed that section last week, Wayah Gap-Amicaloa. We had a couple of nights in the high forties, but that was a little cooler than normal. I'm guessing you also carry a sit pad of some sort, just have it ready to use from your hips to your feet and you should be more than warm enough. My daughter and I used Exped Wallcreeper bags and a single 1/4in Oware pad. I remember zipping the bag up all the way once and the only time I got cool was when I slipped off of the pad. A little bottom insulation is in order, but I'm sure your UQ will be plenty. I found water at most of the indicated sources, but there are some ridge walks of course, I reccomend at least 3 qts at times, a Gal if you intend to camp away from water sources.

Dutch
06-30-2008, 16:51
I just completed that section last week, Wayah Gap-Amicaloa. We had a couple of nights in the high forties, but that was a little cooler than normal. I'm guessing you also carry a sit pad of some sort, just have it ready to use from your hips to your feet and you should be more than warm enough. My daughter and I used Exped Wallcreeper bags and a single 1/4in Oware pad. I remember zipping the bag up all the way once and the only time I got cool was when I slipped off of the pad. A little bottom insulation is in order, but I'm sure your UQ will be plenty. I found water at most of the indicated sources, but there are some ridge walks of course, I reccomend at least 3 qts at times, a Gal if you intend to camp away from water sources.

This is just the experience I was looking for. Wow I as not planning on 40s at all. I was only planning of upper 50s to mid 60s at night. Maybe it is warmer if I am hiking north:D. I am thinking about cutting open my quilt and adding down, it is a little light in the center. As far as a pad I guess it is time to cut down my Oware.

I have an exped walcreeper too. It is huge and the temp rating of 30 degrees is very ambitoius. I have been meaning to modify it so it isn't as wide.

headchange4u
06-30-2008, 17:23
I can take my JRB UL quilts down to about 45* and they are about 1.5" thick...if that helps.

Take-a-knee
06-30-2008, 21:46
This is just the experience I was looking for. Wow I as not planning on 40s at all. I was only planning of upper 50s to mid 60s at night. Maybe it is warmer if I am hiking north:D. I am thinking about cutting open my quilt and adding down, it is a little light in the center. As far as a pad I guess it is time to cut down my Oware.

I have an exped walcreeper too. It is huge and the temp rating of 30 degrees is very ambitoius. I have been meaning to modify it so it isn't as wide.

Dutch, we had cooler than normal weather I believe, I doubt you'll see anything below fifty, if that low. My Wallcreeper is the PL/synthetic model and is only rated to 45 F, it has about 2in of loft, total. I'm of the opinion that a homemade "No Sniveler" made from 5oz Climashield would be lighter and just as versatile for a hammocker.

BillyBob58
07-01-2008, 15:41
This may be too late to be helpful, but:
Do you know the elevation difs from from Franklin and the highest point yo will sleep?

Rule of thumb: 3.5*F colder per thousand feet during precipitation, 5*F colder for every thousand feet higher on clear nights. ( ASSUMING you are close enough to Franklin to be under the same weather system.) This does not always work due to some other variables, but I have often observed it to be quite precise.

Naturally, wind on an exposed higher elevation ridge can add to the percieved temps dif.

So, if you are going to be 3000 feet higher than Franklin, for example, you could expect it to possibly be 10.5* to 15*F colder, or about 50 to 55*F compared to the 65*F fore cast low for Franklin.

Have fun!