PDA

View Full Version : MountainGoat Gear did a great job!

justaguy
03-13-2012, 13:04
Due to many great reviews found on this forum, I reached out to Katharina of MountainGoat Gear (http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/cottage-industries/mountaingoatgear/) to see if she would make some mesh snake skins for my Superfly, as well as a couple of custom mesh ridgeline organizers.

I must say she did a tremendous job! Everything was done exactly to my specification and was delivered ahead of schedule.

I highly recommend her!

dragon360
03-13-2012, 13:25
+1 on that! I have a set of mesh snakeskins for my Superfly and they have been great!

MrToot
03-13-2012, 13:52
She has made me 5 or 6 skins now and all are great after 9 months or so use. I too highly recommend her!

normis1
03-13-2012, 13:56
+3 - her products are top notch. She just made me a great set for my HG winter palace.

G.L.P.
03-13-2012, 13:58
yeah she does great work ... i have one of her hats and i love it

ernesthemmingway
03-13-2012, 16:06
I was looking at the mountaingoat hats the other day, they look great. Its too bad I live in Florida because I would love to have a reason to buy one...... I might buy one anyways.

MuseJr
03-13-2012, 16:30
She does very good work. I have 4-5 of the hats. Every time I got a new one, someone in the house "borrowed" it. I think I will get to keep the last one. :D

ojdash
03-16-2012, 02:19
I got one of her hats for my wife for XMAS. SHe loves it and I also have her snakes skins for my Big Daddy. Her tarp skins are awesome! mine have draw cords on the end and pockets and they fit perfectly!

Joey
03-16-2012, 05:17
2 snakeskins + 2 hats = 1 very happy hanger!

My hats are made with the baby alpaca. They are so soft I could wear them all day, all night, all day...

mountaingoat
05-03-2012, 20:44
Thanks for the nice words, the business you have given me and the opportunity to make things, which I love.
I have been busy, both with my day job as a gardener at a University, and my sewing and knitting business. I have only been out hanging three times this year and I hope to get out soon.
Thanks again for all the support; it means more to me than I can put into words.

2Tall
05-03-2012, 21:29
I just got some of her handy work and am.nothing but pleased. Ty! Hope you get out more.

Buffalo Skipper
05-04-2012, 09:26
I just received my new mesh tarp sleeves. Wundarbar! The craftsmanship is superb and I am very pleased at how well they fit. Overall, they weighed in at 1.2 oz, which is an increase of .7 oz over the original stuff bag, but that doesn't matter to me. Could not be happier.

Thanks Kat!

Dutch
05-04-2012, 09:31
Her hats are grand, but you are missing out if you don't get one of the add on mesh pocket. Great way to stow a tarp and have it really seperate from everything plus adding some room. Tarp sleeves are the icing on very delicous cake.

Skygzr
05-04-2012, 10:45
Thanks for the nice words, the business you have given me and the opportunity to make things, which I love.
I have been busy, both with my day job as a gardener at a University, and my sewing and knitting business. I have only been out hanging three times this year and I hope to get out soon.
Thanks again for all the support; it means more to me than I can put into words.

Nice kudos to her in my latest video from the Wisconsin hang. Just click on my blog site ( in part 1)

olzeke
05-12-2012, 17:46
+?6? I finally decided I had to have snake skins for at least 1 tarp, so it would deploy easier. I email Kat and she got right back to me. She even asked to make sure I wanted the pockets on the ends for the tie outs. Later, she emailed me to say she was running a bit behind and could I wait an extra 2-3 days. Of course I could. I even volunteered to be put off a week or so if it made her job easier. Some folks were no doubt planning on using their skins or hats before I was, so I could be accommodating.

Today, the skins arrived in the mail, and I immediately put them on the tarp. I like them very much, and have to agree with those who say the workmanship is excellent! They added very little to my overall gear weight, yet added an ease to set up that will be noticed the very first time I need to do so in the wind or rain.

Here is a person who did not have time to devote to only me, yet I felt some personal attention all along the way. I hope anyone who is in the market for something like one of her products takes the time to consider buying from Kat.

Stormstaff
05-14-2012, 17:32
Once I'm back to work (on strike at the moment) I want to get a mesh pocket for the outside of my pack and a hat is Boy Scout colors if she can get yarn close enough in color.

Hangandy
05-14-2012, 18:14
I just ordered a second pair of Tarp Sleeves to go with my U.G.L.Y. Tarp. What really impressed me is that she took my dimensions, built the sleeves, and THEN she billed me for payment. When you think about the fact this is a custom order, her practice of showing faith in the customer goes above and beyond what anyone would expect.

Where else can you custom order gear of such a high quality, for such a low price, and also expect such amazing service? I figure if we are nominating Dutch for President, Kat should be Veep! And if you all don't want to do that, I'll nominate her for Prime Minister of Canada. Our military might not become any more powerful, but at least they'd be warm and look dang good:shades:!

raiffnuke
05-15-2012, 06:53
Mountaingoat does some really good work. I have 2 hats and a Python skin from her, and I have lost count of how many times I have recommender her work to others.

Adino
05-26-2012, 18:44
What am, +8?

Katharina did 4 mesh snakeskins for our HH Hex's and I just love them.

Wish I could sew like that.

But thank God for MountainGoat Gear because I can't.

Almost pulled the trigger on the mesh bag for the pack. Gonna have to talk to her about one for my pack on the next round of skins.

NCrocks
06-06-2012, 20:06
Just ordered skins for my tarp last friday she got right back to me about my order. Over the weekend my wife wanted to add a hat e-mailed her again she got right back to me. She also completed the order sooner then expected just got it today! Super nice craftmanship can't wait to use her again, Thanks Kat!

ttittle
06-07-2012, 22:52
I like to echo the sentiments in this thread I received 2 sets of skins a couple of days ago and Katharina's work is top notch. I love the pockets on the ends of them for storing the line. Excellent experience doing business with her. She'll definitively get return business and referrals from me!!!

CrazyMike
06-08-2012, 05:23
Just got my sleeves in the mail yesterday. Can't wait to set up my tarp and give these a go. Quality looks fantastic! Thanks!

oldgringo
06-08-2012, 05:38
Another satisfied customer.:)

SunnyBunny
06-08-2012, 13:49
Love my mesh sleeve for the Maccat. Excellent communication and great craftmanship. What's not to like?

mtndragon
06-08-2012, 20:57
You think her skins are well-made, you should have her make you a hat. She made me this amazing black wool hat last year, and it's so nice I am afraid to wear it into the woods. It's my "town" hat. :cool:

Stormstaff
06-12-2012, 22:33
Got my mesh pouch for my pack........ Workmanship = flawless. All tabs lined up perfectly. I couldn't have asked for a better finished product or better customer service.

Thanks Kat!

Tjalling
06-13-2012, 04:58
Katherine's fame is international! Her skins are proudly being used in the Netherlands.

krpayer
06-22-2012, 09:03
I got some mesh snakeskins for my Superfly and recently got to put my entire system to the test for the first time. The quality of Katharina's work is outstanding. These are very well built and easy to use. As others have mentioned the storage pockets at the end for the lines is a great idea! It was a pleasure doing business with Katharina and I would highly recommend her products to anyone.

WalksInDark
03-22-2013, 17:46
Kat made me a pair of custom snake skins quite awhile back...and they are wonderful! I really like the small pockets at the end so that I can stuff my ridge line right into the snake skins.

I highly recommend her work...and her attention to customer service!

fartintone
03-27-2013, 15:39
Well wishes go out to Kat with her recent RA flare-up.