PDA

View Full Version : Gregory z55 pack

bry961
06-30-2008, 09:24
I am trying to find this pack where I dont have to pay the full price...

Coffee
06-30-2008, 09:52
You so should not get this pack. I used 2 of them on a good part of my AT thru last year. The first one had the seam where the shoulder strap connects to the base rip. The hip belt and load lifter straps would not stay tight. The loaner I was sent had the sternum strap come off one one side after 4 miles and the other a week later in a rain storm. It still had the problems with the straps coming loose. I am still fighting with Gregory to get my old pack back. No way I am ever buying anything from them again.

Everyone on the AT last year I knew that had a z55 had problems and at least 1 loaner. At traildays someone told me the same was true of this year.

Just some friendly advice, but there are way better products out there.

bry961
06-30-2008, 10:10
You so should not get this pack. I used 2 of them on a good part of my AT thru last year. The first one had the seam where the shoulder strap connects to the base rip. The hip belt and load lifter straps would not stay tight. The loaner I was sent had the sternum strap come off one one side after 4 miles and the other a week later in a rain storm. It still had the problems with the straps coming loose. I am still fighting with Gregory to get my old pack back. No way I am ever buying anything from them again.

Everyone on the AT last year I knew that had a z55 had problems and at least 1 loaner. At traildays someone told me the same was true of this year.

Just some friendly advice, but there are way better products out there.

Thank you I appreciate the advice I will steer clear

bry961
06-30-2008, 10:11
you can mark this as found

wfuballer21
06-30-2008, 10:26
I'm sorry to hear about Coffee's situation. usually Gregory is better about returns than that. as far as the Z-55 is concerned, I LOVE IT!!! granted, I've never put it through a THRU-HIKE, but it has seen it's share of MANY 5-10 day trips, without fail. my friend also has a Z-55 after having many Gregory packs, and would not trade it for the world. best wishes in any decision you make!

Coffee
06-30-2008, 11:14
I'm sorry to hear about Coffee's situation. usually Gregory is better about returns than that. as far as the Z-55 is concerned, I LOVE IT!!! granted, I've never put it through a THRU-HIKE, but it has seen it's share of MANY 5-10 day trips, without fail. my friend also has a Z-55 after having many Gregory packs, and would not trade it for the world. best wishes in any decision you make!

That reminds me of everything I research online. Half the people hate the something the other half love.

Take-a-knee
06-30-2008, 11:32
That reminds me of everything I research online. Half the people hate the something the other half love.

That likely reflects on the company's quality control. Gregory designs great packs, obviously they don't always make good packs.

wfuballer21
06-30-2008, 11:33
yeah, its sad that workmanship has become so hit-or-miss with big companies. how much weight were you carrying?

Take-a-knee
06-30-2008, 11:34
Coffee, what pack are you using now? IIRC you tried a Gearskin and didn't like it also. I'm liking my Granite Gear Vapor Trail a lot.

Ramblinrev
06-30-2008, 11:40
I had a Gregory G series which I really wanted to like. Unfortunately it was just an inch or so short for me. I had the worst backache ever. I have found that most Gregory packs I have checked the specs on would leave me borderline in terms of fit, either _just_ too short or I end up on the low end of the scale on the size up. Make sure to get a pack that fits. AND that fits your hiking and packing style.

I am now packing a Mountainsmith and love it.

Coffee
06-30-2008, 13:32
With the gregory I was leaving town I was right at the weight limit. Maybe just over until I eat dinner that night. That might have helped. They didn't seem surprised when I told them what went wrong. Apparently it happens a lot.

I have a gearskin. It is a nice pack, just can be a pain to pack. I use it from time to time now when I want to do a super light overnight or someone needs to borrow a pack.

I have been using my vapor trail for most trips now. I really like the simpleness of it. A big ruck sack with 2 outside pockets. When I get the chance to do another long hike I will either get the ozone or golite makes a pack that is around 3.5 pounds and rated over 40 lbs.

wfuballer21
06-30-2008, 13:55
speaking of Golite, i have their "Race" pack also. it was a part of their Adventure Series- (i think its discontinued) but what a pack! i still use it for overnighters, but at 1lb. 8 oz., it is around 3000 cu. in. you could use it for a minimalist thru-hike pack. like i said, i think its discontinued, but retail was $100 a few years ago, you could probably find one for a lot less. highly recommended if you're looking for a Golite product.

Coffee
06-30-2008, 14:02
Speaking of other packs. I am looking for a waterproof pack that is a max of 22"x14"x9". I want one that will work as a carryon luagage on a plane. I know they are pricey, but might be nice for me to have.

urbansix
06-30-2008, 17:29
I just got a Z-55 as well. I waited for the big REI sale and used the 20% coupon. I've only used it on one short hike, with no problems so far. It was the best one in my price and size range and it was very comfortable and relatively light. Can't say I "love" it but I like it just fine.