PDA

View Full Version : ENO DryFly

Atlas918
03-19-2012, 19:29
Anyone use it? How do you like it?

I value your opinions over the "experts" running the blogs any day :D

As always, thanks in advance for any info.

dant8ro
03-19-2012, 20:36
I had a good buddy that started with a stock Eno one link system. The flys work, but due to the deep catenary cuts they have coverage issues. Much like the stock Hennessy hammock fly, set it up right and you'll be fine. :)

twdant
03-20-2012, 15:22
I have one, and although I haven't used it in the rain, it seems to cover fine. However, I prefer my ProFly simply because I only have to stake out 4 lines rather than 6.

Silverpalm2x
03-20-2012, 15:26
for a profly so i only have 4 corners to stake out and better coverage.

i have a one link system as well.

dant8ro
03-20-2012, 19:41
I hate to be a hater, but man, ditch the slap straps. The one time that we used them they stretched so much the hammock was almost touching the ground.

Nylon webbing isn't the best for suspension applications; Polypro (polypropylene) is better, and polyester is best. Whoopie slings, adjustable webbing, there are so may great (and easy) options.

My opinion, HYOH.

Dan. :)

Bubba
03-20-2012, 21:55
As Dan mentioned coverage could be an issue if the weather came at you sideways. Another thing to consider is if you are weight conscious for backpacking you may want to look into a silnylon tarp.

Atlas918
03-20-2012, 22:50
I hate to be a hater, but man, ditch the slap straps. The one time that we used them they stretched so much the hammock was almost touching the ground.

Nylon webbing isn't the best for suspension applications; Polypro (polypropylene) is better, and polyester is best. Whoopie slings, adjustable webbing, there are so may great (and easy) options.

My opinion, HYOH.

Dan. :)

To whom are you referring? I use polypro webbing and descender rings.

Bob Bobson
03-23-2012, 08:19
I recently purchased the dryfly but have only had one chance to use it so far, so I'm not sure how worthwhile my opinion is. Nevertheless, I liked it. There was a bit of a learning curve to set it up (too many cooks in the kitchen), but it was really quite easy. All of the lines have adjustable cinches (probably an incorrect term) that allow you to tighten/slacken the line as necessary to achieve uniform tautness. I ran my hammock suspension through the tree ties of the tarp as was recommended in a couple of places I read, but I definitely recommend that you NOT do that because when you sit in the hammock, it pulls the tarp down upon you.

As to performance, the tarp stayed in place, kept its tautness, and provided dry coverage (I almost said "good" or "great" coverage, but I figure some might complain that that's subjective; point is, it kept me dry and blocked the wind). There was a light rain in the morning, and it was absolutely cozy in my hammock (people on this forum are so right when they say that the best time to be in a hammock is when it rains, it is very peaceful and relaxing). The six lines may indeed be overkill, and the catenary cuts may be deep, but I thought the coverage provided was excellent. The extra lines add a lot of flexibility of setup in my opinion, either to batten down the hatches or open up some airflow to your hammock. As to the cuts, they cut weight, and I feel like they also offer airflow and vision benefits in the hammock that a square tarp would not.

My only complaint with the fly is repacking it; I'm so spoiled by the ease of the Eno pouches, and the tarp is definitely more like a tent that you have to strategically fold in order to refit it in the included pouch, and that takes some time.

Wow, this was too long. Sorry.

Perezrt
03-23-2012, 15:21
The pro fly was my first tarp. Ive upgreaded to a superfly now, but, I carried that thing arround for a long time and it does work pretty well. In bad weather I would hang it low to my hammock and never had a problem with leaking. That being said... It is very heavy for the size tarp it is and does not pack down very well.

Atlas918
03-23-2012, 22:50
I recently purchased the dryfly but have only had one chance to use it so far, so I'm not sure how worthwhile my opinion is. Nevertheless, I liked it. There was a bit of a learning curve to set it up (too many cooks in the kitchen), but it was really quite easy. All of the lines have adjustable cinches (probably an incorrect term) that allow you to tighten/slacken the line as necessary to achieve uniform tautness. I ran my hammock suspension through the tree ties of the tarp as was recommended in a couple of places I read, but I definitely recommend that you NOT do that because when you sit in the hammock, it pulls the tarp down upon you.

As to performance, the tarp stayed in place, kept its tautness, and provided dry coverage (I almost said "good" or "great" coverage, but I figure some might complain that that's subjective; point is, it kept me dry and blocked the wind). There was a light rain in the morning, and it was absolutely cozy in my hammock (people on this forum are so right when they say that the best time to be in a hammock is when it rains, it is very peaceful and relaxing). The six lines may indeed be overkill, and the catenary cuts may be deep, but I thought the coverage provided was excellent. The extra lines add a lot of flexibility of setup in my opinion, either to batten down the hatches or open up some airflow to your hammock. As to the cuts, they cut weight, and I feel like they also offer airflow and vision benefits in the hammock that a square tarp would not.

My only complaint with the fly is repacking it; I'm so spoiled by the ease of the Eno pouches, and the tarp is definitely more like a tent that you have to strategically fold in order to refit it in the included pouch, and that takes some time.

Wow, this was too long. Sorry.

Your reply was not too long at all. I appreciate all of your info. Sounds like you're happy with the DryFly. I have been reading a lot of reviews online and will add your info to the list I have going. Thanks!

djminnesota
03-24-2012, 07:03
I too use the dryfly, but have had it out only once in adverse conditions. I had it up during a snowstorm this winter, which consisted of high winds and heavy, wet snow. the tarp kept me dry and out of the wind, despite the catcuts. I found it very easy to adjust it to be taught, unlike some other hammocking tarps. The included stuff sack is not very good though. after having to re-engineer my rolling technique about ten times, I finall switched it out to some snake skins. If you would like more info, I sugest you check out the blog located in my signature.

Bob Bobson
03-27-2012, 09:24
djminnesota, I really struggled with the included dryfly sack as well and would like to hear more from you on how you like your snake skin solution. Do you recommend?

djminnesota
03-28-2012, 15:32
I love it! It packs bigger, but its worth it. Snakeskins are tubes of fabric originally created by Hennesy Hammocks. They pull over your hammock or tarp, and they are packed into tubes. Then fold them and wrap the extra ridgeline around the folded piece and its all packed. It makes set-up and take down much quicker, and easier when its windy. Look around here and you will find alot of info on them. I believe they go for about 20 bucks, but if you have a sewing machine, they are VERY easy to make. Check out fronkeys profile for instructions.

fgblueenohanger
03-28-2012, 21:18
I have been using a dry fly for over a year and haven't had any problems. Just recently was on a couple of outings when it rained during the night and early morning and I didn't get wet at all. Last outing, we had some wind with the rain and I stayed dry. I do not run my hammock suspension through the tree ties because it does pull the tarp down on you. I use a separate ridge line for the tarp and depending on the weather determines how close I rig the tarp to the hammock. I am happy with mine.:thumbup:

djminnesota
03-29-2012, 21:31
I have been using a dry fly for over a year and haven't had any problems. Just recently was on a couple of outings when it rained during the night and early morning and I didn't get wet at all. Last outing, we had some wind with the rain and I stayed dry. I do not run my hammock suspension through the tree ties because it does pull the tarp down on you. I use a separate ridge line for the tarp and depending on the weather determines how close I rig the tarp to the hammock. I am happy with mine.:thumbup:

One thing i havent figured out is how to keep rain from getting in on the ends. It seems like the tarp is a bit short, and that the ends of my hammock are exposed. And suggestions?

jlancon
04-23-2012, 14:59
I just put the Dry Fly through its paces this weekend, hanging in a pretty major rainstorm for most of the night. The only problem I had was that there was a tree limb nearby that prevented the fly from being stretched tight, so there was a water accumulation issue in a sag point that developed. But, even with a pool of water, it didn't leak through -- I only got a little splash of water when the wind picked up and pushed the water off.

The wind did cause the lashing to loosen a bit. Those little plastic "buckles" didn't lock in the string tension with the strong winds we had, but that could have been prevented with a basic knot in the line.

Once it is set up properly, though, the Dry Fly really works well! The only real downside I have is the time it takes to set up and tear down with 6 stake points, and trying to keep the lashings from getting tangled when stowing it away. I'm trying to figure out an alternate lashing/stake system with maybe some elastic cord to minimize all the string length required. Anyone have any suggestions? :unsure:

Clinton
05-09-2012, 09:33
I will be getting my dryfly this thursday with my bug net and will be out in the yard thurs night testing it all out. Will let you know?!?!

Should i use a RL on top of the tarp or have the tarp ride on the RL? I have seen both ways but was curious which is the best of the two.

Hang from the Tarp RL or suspend below the RL.

I will be using Amsteel blue for my tarp RL. and all my tieouts. (your thoughts on this) 7/64ths.

toygun
05-10-2012, 09:47
Be prepared to replace the tarp lines. I bought a hank of techline from diygear for this.

The ones that came on mine did this... http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51908

Streetdoc432
05-13-2012, 16:08
I am in the same predicament...I am trying to decide between the Pro Fly & the Dry Fly..I have a HH Hex on my Hennessy, but I am looking at all options for my ENO's & WBBB. (can't afford Cuben, wife has me on toy restriction)

Clinton
05-13-2012, 16:14
I bought the wb superfly

SPaCeMn
08-17-2012, 14:35
Should i use a RL on top of the tarp or have the tarp ride on the RL? I have seen both ways but was curious which is the best of the two.

Hang from the Tarp RL or suspend below the RL.

I have the DryFly and I just recently started putting the tarp over the ridge line but only because I am using 550 cord (which I hate) and it's very hard to get the clips onto the cord. I haven't run into any problems yet.

There is a bit of a learning curve to setting this tarp up for us newbies, but once you've done it a few times you start to get the hang of it... no pun intended :laugh: I haven't had any issues with getting wet or having buckles slip but I also haven't had any winds stronger than maybe 15mph either. But it is built very sturdy, although a little heavy also.

I will be upgrading in the next couple of months or so because I also have an issue with its size. There isn't a lot of room to store your pack, especially if you're hanging low. Which, because of the size of the DryFly, you pretty much have to in strong rain.

Grapenut
08-18-2012, 09:38
I have both the DryFly and the ProFly and I use a ridge line for both. It just feels more sturdy that way.

The way I choose to keep the tarp and ridge line taut can be seen in the attached pictures. I simply use a prusik knot and loop it through the plastic buckles...makes it tight and secure.