PDA

View Full Version : It's knot working.....

Ramblinrev
07-05-2008, 19:19
grrrr... I took my new suspension system to the local park and set it up. The webbing just goes zling sliding right through the rings even if I tie a half hitch. Is there a way of wrapping the rings that gives a greater grip? I know how to tie two half-hitches and the taut-line but they seem to zip right along. I didn't land on the backside but only because it didn't take all my weight to slip them babies down. I am using Olefin webbing if that makes a difference. I looked it up and it appears to be related to the polyester webbing and in fact seems to be listed with it on websites so I thought I should be ok. Any ideas?

GrizzlyAdams
07-05-2008, 19:29
grrrr... I took my new suspension system to the local park and set it up. The webbing just goes zling sliding right through the rings even if I tie a half hitch. Is there a way of wrapping the rings that gives a greater grip? I know how to tie two half-hitches and the taut-line but they seem to zip right along. I didn't land on the backside but only because it didn't take all my weight to slip them babies down. I am using Olefin webbing if that makes a difference. I looked it up and it appears to be related to the polyester webbing and in fact seems to be listed with it on websites so I thought I should be ok. Any ideas?

I figured somewhere in the gallery there must be a picture of rings attached to the rope, did a search, and found one (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/3/knots-4_original.jpg). It was from my first post, oh so many postings ago!

So the cord on the rings is a prusik knot. That's important. You need to have tension pinching those rings down there. You don't have to have double line all the way back to the whipping like in the picture though. You can make a bowline with a big loop and tie the prusik on that way. Needs to be done though when the suspension cord is not attached to the hammock (because you need that end free to make the knot).

If that's not the problem (i.e. you are doing this already), then it must be the webbing, and for that I dunno.

Grizz

Ramblinrev
07-05-2008, 19:49
I found pics like that grizz... thanks. That part is hokey dokey.

So back to grammar school for me.

The rabbit goes through the holes in the rings.
The rabbit goes around the bottom ring
The rabbit goes behind the upper ring
The rabbit heads back to the carrot patch....

The tar baby don't hold for beans.

OR

The rabbit goes through the the holes in the rings.
The rabbit goes around the bottom ring
The rabbit goes behind the top ring
The rabbit goes down around both rings
The rabbit goes back through the holes in the rings
The rabbit heads back to the carrot patch...

OR

Does the rabbit do something else entirely?

The rabbit goes through the holes in the rings
The Rabbit dives over the front of both rings
The rabbit catches the bottom ring
The rabbit swings around through the slit between both rings
The rabbit climbs over the top ring
The rabbit hides under the dust cloud of his original approach
The rabbit heads back to the carrot patch under said dust cloud

GrizzlyAdams
07-05-2008, 20:33
Just a re-illustration of the explanation at animated knots (http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php) where an edge of the ring pair is the bar shown.

My numbers do not correspond to those in animated knots. Just a pictural sequence.

1. 1956
2. 1957
3. 1958
4. 1959
5. 1960
6. 1961
7. 1962
8. 1963

in reviewing the earlier picture I posted, I see that the true Prusik knot has one more loop around the rings than what I pictured. In either case, when you tighten up the cord around the rings, try to get the rings pretty much on top of each other, not offset. That closes any gaps that may form up where you'll put the webbing.

Another thought...what diameter rings are you using?

Grizz

Ramblinrev
07-05-2008, 21:07
ok... I am obviously not making myself clear. So let me try it again.

I am using 1.5 inch ID rings. I am set up with the prussics to the rings and those are attached to the stock rope by a larkshead through a fig 8 on a bight.

The rabbit in my above post is the webbing end. I have no clue what the appropriate threading of the webbing through the rings looks like.

I can find pics of the finished setup... but I can not see how the webbing is threaded. I am using 1" webbing.

Is that clear?

angrysparrow
07-05-2008, 21:15
I have no clue what the appropriate threading of the webbing through the rings looks like.

I can find pics of the finished setup... but I can not see how the webbing is threaded. I am using 1" webbing.

http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesHomemadeGear/20070207RingBuckleSupports-07.JPG

That picture is from this page (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html). It is somewhat dark, but should illustrate what you are looking for, I believe.

GrizzlyAdams
07-05-2008, 21:33
ok... I am obviously not making myself clear. So let me try it again... but I can not see how the webbing is threaded. I am using 1" webbing.

OK. Threading the webbing is comparatively straightforward

with the optional, but painless half hitch

Grizz

Ramblinrev
07-05-2008, 21:39
Thanks AS I had looked at that page and that's where I got the set up I am using. That does indeed answer my question. So... the one thing that is different between the setups in the picture and the arrangement I have is the cordage for the prussics. I don't have access to them fancy schmancy high tech ropes with the high weight rating. So I was using the cast off cordage from the ATHH. That is pretty big in comparison. I'll have to figure out a way to get around that... thanks folks.

angrysparrow
07-05-2008, 21:49
I don't have access to them fancy schmancy high tech ropes with the high weight rating.

PM your address to me. I'll send you enough Dyneema for your project.

GrizzlyAdams
07-05-2008, 21:51
Thanks AS I had looked at that page and that's where I got the set up I am using. That does indeed answer my question. So... the one thing that is different between the setups in the picture and the arrangement I have is the cordage for the prussics. I don't have access to them fancy schmancy high tech ropes with the high weight rating. So I was using the cast off cordage from the ATHH. That is pretty big in comparison. I'll have to figure out a way to get around that... thanks folks.

Suggest then you try the steps I showed in the prusik knot, but after step 5 pass the standing end through the loop and tighten, rather than go around the rings once again.

In playing around with the cord and rings I noticed that the front tended to gap more with the full prusik (and the cord I'm using for the photos is about 5mm), and less with the "one loop" version (which is like a lark's head, but not quite).

Grizz

jlb2012
07-06-2008, 08:12
'rev - if you are still having problems you could try what I do: I use one ring attached to each end of the hammock and I attach the strap to the ring using a cinch knot (aka larks head for a strap on a ring, aka girth hitch). The cinch knot is relatively easy to adjust - just grab both parts of the strap and push toward the ring to lossen then push in the part of the strap you want to make shorter and tighten it up.

Note since only one ring is used at each end of the hammock it mostly does not matter how you attach the ring to the hammock so long as it stays attached under weight.

Also note the strap I use is Strapworks 1 inch polyester - YMMV

Ramblinrev
07-06-2008, 12:19
Speaking of alternatives, particularly for rope has anyone tried this... Run the support rope through a single ring and back to a figure 8 knot tied in the line. Pass it through the closest loop of the figure eight and tighten. Probably want to finish it off with a slippery half hitch safety. I have used this attach loads to the top of the car but not on a hammock. The figure eight knot is self tightening and fairly easily adjusted but holds tight under pressure. I would be interested in hearing if this works. I don't have anyplace to easily practice hang or I would try it myself.

warbonnetguy
07-07-2008, 07:56
don't know if anybody has mentioned this before, but...

i have only tried the ring buckles once. i got slippage, but not when i used the backup 1/2 hitch.

anyway, i made a belt for myself using 2 d-rings awhile back, and i always noticed it would slip alot as well. then one day i thought to flip the rings around, so the adjustable part of the webbing runs over the flat/straight part of the rings instead of the round part, and it holds signifigantly better. don't know if you could go without a backup on a d-ring suspension, but it sure holds my pants up better.

does anybody use d-rings like this for a suspension? if you do, have you tried it without the backup 1/2 hitch? just curious.

Poet
07-07-2008, 23:30
I would suggest making a loop with a water knot if you're trying to make a loop from flat webbing. To tie a water knot, tie an overhand knot loosely, then take the working end back through it, tracing the path exactly and not allowing the straps to cross. Work it tight. It's a kind of bend used for climbing straps, but can, like all bends, make a loop (a bowline is the same as a sheet bend at heart). You can then use a lark's head/cow hitch to go through the rings.

Or you could sew the loop and save 0.64325 grams.

Ramblinrev
07-08-2008, 00:05
my ring cordage is looped with a water knot. Then it is attached to a figure 8 on a bight with a larkshead. I almost invariably tie any loops with a water knot. The loop on my webbing is sewn.

actually I played with things today and had very good luck with the knots having gone from a full prussic to the knot that grizz uses. only problem is I lengthened the span I need for a good hang a little and now I don't have any place to practice at my house. Oh the horror... I need to spend more time at camp... what a tragedy.