PDA

View Full Version : Single Nest Ridge Line Length

brdaaw
03-26-2012, 10:05
If you're using a ridge line for your Single Nest, what length are you using?
I've read that 83% of the hammock length is roughly correct, but that's pretty short. Thoughts?

mophead
03-26-2012, 17:37
I've read that 83% of the hammock length is roughly correct, but that's pretty short. Thoughts?

Sounds like a decent estimate, because I am using around 97" which is close. Keep in mind you are laying diagonally and not slouching with the sag.

Alot of people are using a whoopie sling as a ridgline to experiment and find where they are most comfortable then locking in at that length. This is probably the most accurate way. You could also cut one extra long. Keep retying shorter until you get to where you are comfortable. When you cut it short your waste is probably over a foot and still long enough to use for something else.

I used my hammock for a while before I added one so I just strung mine up to where I was comfortable and then added one.

Also, I often like to sit in my hammock sideways as a chair. Rather than deal with a string in my face or around my head, I made my ridgline removable with a soft shackle (aka a nacrabiner) on one end and this adds maybe 1.5" to my length.

hanghigh
06-07-2012, 22:21
The ENO double and single nests are just shy of 10 feet long and I have the ridgeline at 96" and that is perfect for me it allows me to sleep on my side if I want as well My friend has his set closer to 98" so 98" +/- an inch or two and you cant go wrong

Atlas918
06-09-2012, 17:30

That length is a good place to START. Everyone has different comfort levels and what RL length is comfortable for me might not be the best for you. It is best to start at that length and then adjust to what is best for you.