PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my first hammock, a Claytor JH

Noshtero
07-07-2008, 19:07
Hey all. With some good advice from Neo, I ordered my first hammock and chose the JH. I also have poly webbing and cinch buckles on the way after reading how most people change out the webbing on theirs. I'm really looking forward to this. I'm sure after my first hang I'll have a boatload of questions.

My first question is do I need to put a pad in it for summer camping? If so, can I just use my REI Litecore 1.5 sleeping pad? I'm thinking I should be able to get by with just my sleeping bag. I have a +30F down bag that stays pretty warm. I have, however, read about how your underside freezes because once you compress the sleeping bag, all the heat transfers through.

Noshtero
07-07-2008, 19:15
I'm looking at structural ridgelines. Tell me if I have this right. You hang the hammock from it's support lines. Then above this you put the structural ridgeline, and attach the mosquito net to it to hold the net up. Then the idea is to adjust the hammock to the perfect amount of sag, and then pull the ridgeline tight. This way, you will always get the right amount of sag by always making sure the ridgeline is tight. Correct?

What sort of line do you use for the ridgeline? Paracord? Spectra? Where are you buying it?

Thanks!

FanaticFringer
07-07-2008, 19:23
Most folks need some underinsulation in temps as high as 70 degrees. Especially if the wind is robbing you of heat.
That pad would work but might be a little overkill in warmer temps.
www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html

neo
07-07-2008, 19:28
Hey all. With some good advice from Neo, I ordered my first hammock and chose the JH. I also have poly webbing and cinch buckles on the way after reading how most people change out the webbing on theirs. I'm really looking forward to this. I'm sure after my first hang I'll have a boatload of questions.

My first question is do I need to put a pad in it for summer camping? If so, can I just use my REI Litecore 1.5 sleeping pad? I'm thinking I should be able to get by with just my sleeping bag. I have a +30F down bag that stays pretty warm. I have, however, read about how your underside freezes because once you compress the sleeping bag, all the heat transfers through.

you do need a pad in summer,but the pad i use in the summer takes ME into the single digits.i would not recommend a ridge line with a claytor hammock.i prefer spreadr bars and elastic cord to suspend my netting.:cool:neo

Pilgrim
07-10-2008, 16:09
Neo,
What is the length of the spreader bars you use? What do you tie the elastic cord to that suspends the netting?

neo
07-10-2008, 17:57
Neo,
What is the length of the spreader bars you use? What do you tie the elastic cord to that suspends the netting?

14 inches,i bought one camo arrow shaft.i cut it with a mini tube cutter.1 shaft makes a pair of spreaders bur you have to scrape the feather off on the other end.:cool:neo

ame
07-14-2008, 05:06
My spreader bars are 450mm (17"), and this measurement seems to be the same on all three of my hammocks. I recommend you wait until the hammock arrives before you cut anything.

A