PDA

View Full Version : New Suspension

gclimb
07-07-2008, 20:01
I developed a new suspension system that has loops on the main rope/webbing and a biner at the end. Then you wrap the rope/webbing around the tree and hook the biner to a loop on the rope or directly on to it. Tell me what you think about it.
Here are some pics

Ramblinrev
07-07-2008, 20:06
I'm lost.....

cool ground rig... but I don't see how the pics relate to the description.

slowhike
07-07-2008, 20:13
Sorry, but I'm not getting it either<G>.

gclimb
07-07-2008, 20:30
Sorry, I will try to get better pics to show you or even a drawing.

angrysparrow
07-07-2008, 20:38
I think what he's describing is not unlike an ENO slapstrap (http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/slap-strap.html), only made of cord or rope instead of webbing.

If that's the case, it's not a bad approach, but is less adjustable than a few of the other designs that are in use. Now, if you are willing to re-tie the loops for every hang, it is infinitely adjustable; but that seems more trouble than it's worth to my mind. Still, it's certainly a workable approach.

Let us know if you use it for any length of time and how it goes.

Ramblinrev
07-07-2008, 20:39
AS that's what I had envisioned.... but I wasn't sure.

gclimb
07-07-2008, 20:43
See how there are loops trough out the webbing. And how is wraps around the tree (white thing) then hooks onto one of the loops. This suspension has halved my set up time and made it way easier.

angrysparrow
07-07-2008, 20:45
Yes, with the new photos, it does seem to be the same approach as the SlapStrap.

gclimb
07-07-2008, 20:46
I think what he's describing is not unlike an ENO slapstrap (http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/slap-strap.html), only made of cord or rope instead of webbing.

If that's the case, it's not a bad approach, but is less adjustable than a few of the other designs that are in use. Now, if you are willing to re-tie the loops for every hang, it is infinitely adjustable; but that seems more trouble than it's worth to my mind. Still, it's certainly a workable approach.

Let us know if you use it for any length of time and how it goes.

It is a little like that but not exactly. It doesn't wrap around the tree like that.

slowhike
07-07-2008, 20:49
Yep, I see now. I'd be careful w/ all those knots in the webbing though.

Ramblinrev
07-07-2008, 21:40
Second set of pics helped. I might just loop the webbing around the tree instead of doing a full circle to make it easier to move the suspension point up and down the tree. I have found the biggest problem I have is getting the webbing high enuf around the tree for a good hang. One of the reasions I am shifting to the ring buckle is I can throw the loop up the tree as high as I can and then everything else adjusts from ground level.

pure_mahem
07-08-2008, 10:40
Looks like the treklight system except it's made with a strap!