PDA

View Full Version : Soft shackle prusiks

Mr. Tettnanger
03-27-2012, 18:44
I just got the Dutch Edition single ridge line and have a question.

Do you undo the prusik and attach it directly to the tarp or do you run an s-Biner or something from the tarp to the prusik?

2Tall
03-27-2012, 18:47
If its a SS prussick its meant to do away with or replace the need for a carabiner. Thats my take any way.

dant8ro
03-27-2012, 19:22
an s-biner is always an option. If you have a soft shackle and opt to go without, know that they can be a bit fiddley in gloves, or half frozen.

:)

alrany187
03-27-2012, 20:12
Or you could larkshead a piece of dowel into it and slide that into the D-ring or grommet on your tarp. A 1 1/2" piece of 3/8" dowel with the hole more offset to one end should work fine for you.

Ellis

Redoleary
03-28-2012, 06:40
If its a SS prussick its meant to do away with or replace the need for a carabiner. Thats my take any way.

+1 to that. If I understand what you're asking, a soft shackle prusik is basically an openable continuous loop. You would prusik it onto the RL and open and close it to attach or release the tarp.

Bannerstone
03-28-2012, 06:55
Using the soft shakle prusik as a quick disconnect for small diameter lines can be a bit too fiddley, especially for making frequent attachments. I use them on my guylines because they stay attached for the most part. On my crl, I also use soft shackles with a small biner like Dutches ridgeline biner, it's only 2gm. The convenience is well worth it for cold, wet, tired hands or a windy setup/teardown.

David

Mr. Tettnanger
03-28-2012, 07:37
Thanks for the help folks. I think that I will use some kind of biner. The prusiks do seem like they would be a bit too fiddley if cold, wet, tired, in a hurry.

I will look into Dutches biner, but they look extremely small and I am not sure if the will clip onto the rings or whatever on my Superfly.

I haven't gotten the tarp or hammock yet. I am trying to get all of my ducks in a row and understand this new world of gizmos and gadgetry!

SmokeBait
03-28-2012, 09:31
Thanks for the help folks. I think that I will use some kind of biner. The prusiks do seem like they would be a bit too fiddley if cold, wet, tired, in a hurry.

I will look into Dutches biner, but they look extremely small and I am not sure if the will clip onto the rings or whatever on my Superfly.

I haven't gotten the tarp or hammock yet. I am trying to get all of my ducks in a row and understand this new world of gizmos and gadgetry!

Mr. Tettnanger, why not put the SS prusiks on and leave them on? I know it is personal preference but I leave my tarp ridge line attached to the tarp all the time. Makes for a very quick and easy set up.