PDA

View Full Version : Whoopie Hooks Question...

Downhill Trucker
03-27-2012, 22:14
I have my hooks attached to the adjustable end of the Whoopie and I was going to connect it to a continuous loop on the other end of the hammock. Dutch suggested this in a post a while back. Can I make the continuous loop out of dynaglide? Or must it clip to an Amsteel line? My whoopies are Amsteel. Also, could I safely clip the hook to a soft shackle or nacro biner instead of the continuous loop? If it helps, I weigh under 200.

The good news is that it looks like I have my whole suspension at under 4 ounces!

jons4real
03-27-2012, 22:41
I would stick with amsteel. Wouldn't it suck if one day you let someone lay in your hammock and your loops just snapped . I don't think that dynaglide it really ment for using in suspension though.

SilvrSurfr
03-27-2012, 22:54
I have my hooks attached to the adjustable end of the Whoopie and I was going to connect it to a continuous loop on the other end of the hammock. Dutch suggested this in a post a while back. Can I make the continuous loop out of dynaglide? Or must it clip to an Amsteel line? My whoopies are Amsteel. Also, could I safely clip the hook to a soft shackle or nacro biner instead of the continuous loop? If it helps, I weigh under 200.

The good news is that it looks like I have my whole suspension at under 4 ounces!

I wouldn't use Dynaglide in my suspension either, but that's a different subject. The whoopie hook is designed for 7/64" Amsteel (2.78 mm) so anything under that diameter like 1.8 mm Dynaglide should work fine.

I find that I can't clip the whoopie hook onto 7/64" Amsteel with a bury. Those sections are 7/32" (or 14/64" or 5.6 mm) diameter, and it don't work. That pretty much rules out using 7/64" soft shackles with a whoopie hook. Would Dynaglide soft shackles at 3.6 mm diameter fit? I don't think so.

Whoopie hooks must connect to the unburied section of a continuous loop, in my opinion. Most people like to hide that section inside their hammock channels, so we can't see whether they tapered the ends properly on their bury!

If you're gonna use whoopie hooks, I think you have to expose that portion and hide the buried portion in the hammock channel.

I did try clipping the whoopie hook to 1/8" (3.17 mm) Amsteel and it seems to work, though I wouldn't advise it. It's kind of hard to take the hook off of 1/8" because the diameter of the whoopie hook is too small.

BearChaser
03-28-2012, 04:43
Yes, they work fine with Dynaglide. I have been using it with mine for awhile now with no problems. One difference is that I'm using two fixed eyes instead of a continuous loop. Same difference, just different. :)

MAD777
03-28-2012, 09:10
FYI: Plenty of folks are using dynaglide whoopies and loops for their suspension. There are also plenty of folks using 1/8" Amsteel who are afraid to drop down to 7/64".

HYOH (Hang Your Own Hang)

jons4real
03-28-2012, 10:17
Yup, I stand corrected, I have read of many memebers using dynaglide in their suspension. I'm just a heavy hanger so when I hear of dynaglide whoopies I put the breaks on.. force of habit

lazy river road
03-28-2012, 11:09
Yes, they work fine with Dynaglide. I have been using it with mine for awhile now with no problems. One difference is that I'm using two fixed eyes instead of a continuous loop. Same difference, just different. :)

Ditto, I use a section of dynaglide with two fixed eyes to whip my hammock and attach the woopie hook to the exposed loop to hang the hammock. I weight about 210lbs and have been using dynaglide woopies for a while.

adkphoto
03-28-2012, 13:35
I find that when the hooks are clipped to 7/64 Amsteel, they don't easily fall off. That may not be true for Dynaglide.

David

BearChaser
03-28-2012, 14:45
I find that when the hooks are clipped to 7/64 Amsteel, they don't easily fall off. That may not be true for Dynaglide.

David

So far so good with this also. Not once has the Dynaglide slipped out of the hook when adjusting or flinging the hammock around to test this.

Could be that Dutch just sprinkled a little magical Dutch Dust on the hooks.

adkphoto
03-28-2012, 14:49
Could be that Dutch just sprinkled a little magical Dutch Dust on the hooks.

I wouldn't doubt that!

David

MAD777
03-28-2012, 15:20
Yes, and it's probably titanium dust!