PDA

View Full Version : Dangerbird!

Yukon
03-28-2012, 20:12
Had to be done, just pulled the trigger on a new Dangerbird. Excited to see this new hammock. And now...the dreaded wait :scared:

MAD777
03-28-2012, 20:57
That is the most versatile hammock I've seen. It can morph into whatever you need to match the conditions. Maybe Papa Smurf should have called it the Chameleon!

spamburglar
03-28-2012, 21:08
I was about to pull the trigger on a WBBB Lefty, but the dangerbird has definitely got me reconsidering....

PapaSmurf
03-28-2012, 21:38
That is the most versatile hammock I've seen. It can morph into whatever you need to match the conditions. Maybe Papa Smurf should have called it the Chameleon!

Then to have a musical inspiration, I'd have to listen to Karma Chameleon by Culture Club? Nahhh! :lol:

I was about to pull the trigger on a WBBB Lefty, but the dangerbird has definitely got me reconsidering....

The SYMMETRICALLY POSITIONED tie-outs allow you to adjust for a right or left lay.
The shape is determined by the netting or overcover, not the tieouts.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/2/1/1/dangerbird_tieouts_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=17312&c=2)

This means all we gotta do is build your net and overcover in a left lay shape.

MedicineMan
03-28-2012, 23:14
For those thinking about a DangerB let me share my leaking tarp story.
This past weekend Poof and I camped in the Smokies.
I set up an old venerable tarp that I've used for a long time....the rains came into camp about 10 minutes after setting up.
We cooked under my tarp (the larger one) and I had my hammock pulled over to the side out of the way tied off to the pole (pole mod)...not long after eating and I was in the hammock for the night--almost 10 glorious hours of rest.
When we were cooking breakfast I was sitting in the hammock and eventually noticed the large and growing drip spot just to my right. I looked up and saw a drip forming then dropping. I can only guess that it had been doing this all night since it rained continuously. The spot on the hammock is where my right chest would have been.
I never knew it, slept warm and dry under an Nunatak Ghost.
It was 'dogwood winter' and I had used the over cover. My best guess is that the momentum either deflectd the drops or absorved/evaporated them-most likely deflecting.
So what could have been a miserable wake up call around 0200-0300 when the TQ got saturated was avoided thanks to PapaSmurf.
Since then I asked PapaSmurf just how waterproof Momentum is, well it's not, but fairly water resistant; so I wouldn't go without a tarp but it did make a huge difference on this hike.

Yukon
03-29-2012, 06:34
Pretty stoked to see how this thing lays. I will set it up adjacent to my Blackbird in my back yard and see how they compare. Went with the black body with green overcover. Order number 34...bring it on!

raiffnuke
03-29-2012, 06:35
Congrats my friend! I can't wait to see the new Bird flying in your yard.

Stormstaff
03-29-2012, 13:18
Congrats! I have yet to have a chance to use mine and I've only been able to hang it in the basement. Superb workmanship I'll say. Can't wait to sleep in it.

MedicineMan
03-29-2012, 13:59
I'm up to 20 hours of sleep time in a DangerBird-you will NOT be dissapointed.

Yukon
03-29-2012, 14:43
I'm up to 20 hours of sleep time in a DangerBird-you will NOT be dissapointed.

This is what I like to hear :)

Yukon
04-14-2012, 11:18
Just got my shipping notification...WHOOOO BUDDY!!

raiffnuke
04-14-2012, 11:26
Congrats! Can't wait to see the new Bird!

babelfish5
04-14-2012, 20:00
I pulled the trigger on my own Dangerbird last week as well. I'm stoked!!! I feel a video comin' on!!

MAD777
04-14-2012, 20:44
I pulled the trigger on my own Dangerbird last week as well. I'm stoked!!! I feel a video comin' on!!

Backcountry cooking from the Dangerbird! :lol:

Yukon
04-15-2012, 05:28

Very cool man, what combination did you go with?

Free Home
04-15-2012, 21:36
Yukon, I just recieved my Shipping Notification as well, number 36 on the Build, i went with Black as body, Gray as Cover, sub 18oz with Dynaglides, and Dutch Hooks and Straps. 14.25oz without suspension according to Randy, can not wait.

Yukon
04-16-2012, 06:14
Yukon, I just recieved my Shipping Notification as well, number 36 on the Build, i went with Black as body, Gray as Cover, sub 18oz with Dynaglides, and Dutch Hooks and Straps. 14.25oz without suspension according to Randy, can not wait.

That sounds like a sweet rig! You better put up some pics when it comes :D

Free Home
04-16-2012, 10:41
Yukon,
I will. Its smaller than the 60, 54 x 114 to as well as m50 instead of 90. Smaller hoods as well. Cut where he could I guess. I'll probably get mine the same time as you. What color did you choose?

Yukon
04-16-2012, 10:51
Yukon,
I will. Its smaller than the 60, 54 x 114 to as well as m50 instead of 90. Smaller hoods as well. Cut where he could I guess. I'll probably get mine the same time as you. What color did you choose?

Mine's pretty basic, black body with green over cover. Regular materials, nothing fancy on this build :)

BTW, cute pup in your avatar :)

Free Home
04-16-2012, 16:36
Thanks, shes a Red Merle Austrailian Shepherd that i got at the pound, best dog ever for hiking, and her name is Whiskey Rein. To bad i can't take her on my AT thru hike next year, now to decide between taking my WBBB 1.7 or my Dangerbird, come on Mail Man!!!!

Yukon
04-16-2012, 17:22
Thanks, shes a Red Merle Austrailian Shepherd that i got at the pound, best dog ever for hiking, and her name is Whiskey Rein. To bad i can't take her on my AT thru hike next year, now to decide between taking my WBBB 1.7 or my Dangerbird, come on Mail Man!!!!

Awesome, I love Australian Shepherds! A friend of mine has two of them and they are such cool dogs.

I hear ya on the hammock choice, I'm excited to get my Dangerbird, but dreading it at the same time for fear that I will like it more than my beloved Blackbird lol

mbcruzin
04-16-2012, 17:53
I had the chance to try out a dangerbird at the spring swing and it was the best hammock by far of the other three I had to give away at the raffle. Pappasmurf did a fantastic job on this hammock the stitching was wonderful the lay was awesome. I even had the chance to compare it to a Hennessy dulexe explorer ( thanks to it mike for bringing that one ). I found the danger bird had more room and I prefer the side entry. I will be saving upfor one of these.

Free Home
04-16-2012, 23:34
I even had the chance to compare it to a Hennessy dulexe explorer ( thanks to it mike for bringing that one ). I found the danger bird had more room and I prefer the side entry. I will be saving upfor one of these.

I have the explorer ultralight zip, WBBB 1.7, and a will do a comparsion on all three. Only 2 more days, the bird has landed in PA, now fly to Georgia. I am taking it friday on 3 day section hike in Georgia, so it will have to be after that.
I know Yukon feels the same way i do.

Yukon
04-17-2012, 12:36
I have the explorer ultralight zip, WBBB 1.7, and a will do a comparsion on all three. Only 2 more days, the bird has landed in PA, now fly to Georgia. I am taking it friday on 3 day section hike in Georgia, so it will have to be after that.
I know Yukon feels the same way i do.

I sure do. Mine is in PA as well, but is scheduled for delivery tomorrow (Wednesday the 18th). Pics and video will be coming not long after I get it!

Cali
04-17-2012, 16:24
I ordered my DangerBird double layer in burgundy and champagne with a black cover. I think I am #41. I can hardly wait to get it. :-)

MedicineMan
04-17-2012, 16:46
Just put my DB in the slug tubes (thanks Wilderness Logic) all packed for this weekend. I can understand the excitement you all are experiencing.
I do think someday we need an east coast DangerBird gathering!

Free Home
04-17-2012, 17:56
Medicine Man, you live in one of the most scenic area's, and i have section hiked from Climbing the Great Roan Mtn down to Carvers gap, and all the 7 balds to i think its I-19. I actually night hiked the first two balds because the moon was so bright. It was fantastic. And I would definetely be up for this gathering. I will be at Trail Days this year for sure, but I am section hiking into it with a buddy. BTW The Roan Highlands are a magical place in my book! So to have the "Dangers" on there would be great.

MedicineMan
04-17-2012, 18:22
are you suggesting a Danberbird gathering on Roan High Knob??
actually I was thing in the MAHAA area, Pine Grove Furnace,Gathland or others...something kinda central to those in NE and those of us in the south. Maybe for next Spring---should be lots of Dangerbirds flying by then.

Free Home
04-17-2012, 18:34
All it takes is a suggestion and it can happen, choose a lo-cal, and make it a first time event, but lets do it late summer or fall, randy will already have about 70 flying by then.

I will be thru hiking the AT next Spring in mine, so I will be a homeless bird, in dangerous world, but the best 5-6 months adventure i ever attempted.

MedicineMan
04-17-2012, 18:50
Well foremost is the attendance of PapaSmurf, hopefully he'll chime with a place and time that is close to Ohio....maybe in the Chillicothe (sp?) area? Great Serpent Mound area? I know there are woods and hills in southern Ohio that are quite beautiful.

What does everybody think about early November? I'm booked until then sad to say or happy to say depending on the angle.

babelfish5
04-17-2012, 18:52
Very cool man, what combination did you go with?

I did a double layer with Black and Navy Blue. I am trying a trick to get it here faster. Maybe if I stand out by my mailbox 24/7 it will show up faster. :D

Cali
04-17-2012, 20:11
I'm trying not to think about it, like that is possible. I try to stay busy so I'm not so anxious. Okay,forget it, I may hang out at the mailbox also. I have to figure out how to explain it to the hubby before it gets here. I at least sold two other hammocks, to help finance it. Honey I've been meaning to tell you. :-)

Yukon
04-17-2012, 20:15
I'm excited to see it tomorrow, but I just got my new mountain bike tonight and all I can think about is going on another ride tomorrow night lol. I will definitely be hanging in it though, maybe even camp in the back yard...

Free Home
04-17-2012, 20:27
I would be up for a Ohio Hang, since PapaSmurf indicated that he will not be able to hike this spring, and we can all see why, and this would be a real cool event to attend.

Yukon, i feel the same way, i think i might be sick on Thursday for some reason, cough cough just to lay in this thing.

Babelfish, great videos by the way, keep them coming, and great combo of colors.

MedicineMan
04-17-2012, 21:12
How many Ohio hangers are there, that would be interested? Are there already Ohio group hangs? I'm just looking for an excuse to visit those southern hills again. I spent a week in Ohio doing national park units and the area I mentioned around the Serpent Mound really is nice but I'm sure there are others. Plus I can get to Ohio in 5-6 hours.

canteen boy
04-17-2012, 21:23
Order #70 will be a DB 60 Black/Champaign with a Jade overcover. :D

Free Home
04-17-2012, 22:42
good stuff canteen boy. Mine is Black on m50 steel gray

PapaSmurf
04-18-2012, 08:07
Well foremost is the attendance of PapaSmurf, hopefully he'll chime with a place and time that is close to Ohio....maybe in the Chillicothe (sp?) area? Great Serpent Mound area? I know there are woods and hills in southern Ohio that are quite beautiful.

What does everybody think about early November? I'm booked until then sad to say or happy to say depending on the angle.

There is an active group of Ohio Hangers who get together, I believe monthly.
I've only been able to manage to attend one of the hangs in Ohio.

If there would be enough interest, I could look into arranging (hosting) a weekend hang.
I like the idea of early November 2012.

MedicineMan
04-18-2012, 08:37
Nov 2,3,4
Its after Halloween and well before Thanksgiving.
Just throwing a date out there.

CdnDave
04-18-2012, 08:50
Papa,

Any chance that you'll publish another schedule of planned shipping/completion dates for the next set of birds? I'm #53 and hoping that 40-52 are all changes to orders you already delivered :D

CdnDave

Yukon
04-18-2012, 08:53
I'm #53 and hoping that 40-52 are all changes to orders you already delivered :D

CdnDave

:lol: This is hilarious!

My status says "Out for Delivery"...whooo buddy!!!

thenate1
04-18-2012, 10:04
Papa,
I'm #53 and hoping that 40-52 are all changes to orders you already delivered :D

CdnDave

I am #57 and I can tell the higher numbers that #58 and #63 are also me and just add on upgrades for my order 57 :)

CdnDave
04-18-2012, 10:13
I am #57 and I can tell the higher numbers that #58 and #63 are also me and just add on upgrades for my order 57 :)

Thanks for the info - but useless to me :lol: I need intel on #40-#52

Can I ask what kind of add-ons you ordered?

CdnDave

BigDogDVJ
04-18-2012, 10:21

Good news for me! I'm #69 :D

PapaSmurf
04-18-2012, 10:22
Papa,

Any chance that you'll publish another schedule of planned shipping/completion dates for the next set of birds? I'm #53 and hoping that 40-52 are all changes to orders you already delivered :D

CdnDave

How's this?
http://www.dream-hammock.com/order-status/

thenate1
04-18-2012, 10:24
Thanks for the info - but useless to me :lol: I need intel on #40-#52

Can I ask what kind of add-ons you ordered?

CdnDave

Adjustable Ridgeline, and I upgraded from a DB 60 to a DB 72 - A king needs a castle :)

Yukon
04-18-2012, 10:27
How's this?

Wow, now that is seriously awesome Randy! To be able to see where in the process your build is...just awesome. Kudos!!

thenate1
04-18-2012, 10:28
How's this?

That is perfect!!! Thanks!!! Now I can know exactly what is happening!!! Thanks!!!!

PS That is a lot of work in the queue!!! Almost time to quite your day job? (Maybe you already have)

PapaSmurf
04-18-2012, 10:51
PS That is a lot of work in the queue!!! Almost time to quite your day job? (Maybe you already have)

If only I had the "crystal ball" option on my thread injector. :)

Oh by the way.
I'm sneaking away for a much needed "head clearing" hang this weekend, but will be back in the workshop Sunday afternoon.

Womble
04-18-2012, 11:04
Plus, I got a life too!

Absolutely TRUE !!! Don't forget about your own hanging !

Keep cool - artists don't work under pressure ;)

Stormstaff
04-18-2012, 11:12
Oh by the way.
I'm sneaking away for a much needed "head clearing" hang this weekend, but will be back in the workshop Sunday afternoon.

Good for you brother!

mattyg
04-18-2012, 12:27
Everybody deserves a life.

CdnDave
04-18-2012, 13:30
Papa

the status page is awesome - thanks much!

Have a great hang this weekend!

CdnDave

JohnVH
04-18-2012, 15:17
How's this?

At #60, I'm not sure if it's better to know or not... But I can't help looking, good things arrive on the front porch for those who wait.

backpackingZombie
04-18-2012, 22:04
How's this?

Wow! You're tearing through those :)

#50 here

trunks
04-19-2012, 13:50
#59 here.
Can I ask what the difference is between the noseeum & the nanoseeum?
I assume the DB comes as standard with the noseeum, which is fine for mozzies etc, but will it keep the Midges out?
Thanks, James

Cali
04-19-2012, 14:11
Thank you PapaSmurf, I thought my number was 41 (guessing), but now I know it is 43. So, it looks like mine will be done soon. :) Have a great weekend, and enjoy your hang time. We all need that stress reliever. :)

Womble
04-19-2012, 14:57
#59 here.
Can I ask what the difference is between the noseeum & the nanoseeum?
I assume the DB comes as standard with the noseeum, which is fine for mozzies etc, but will it keep the Midges out?
Thanks, James

If its 'noseeum' it should keep midges out (no-see-um = midge). Nanoseeum is lighter noseeum.

trunks
04-20-2012, 06:29
If its 'noseeum' it should keep midges out (no-see-um = midge). Nanoseeum is lighter noseeum.

Cheers Womble :)