PDA

View Full Version : Texas hanging

beeman
07-10-2008, 18:46
Any TEXAS hammock hangers want to have a get together this Fall after it cools off a bit?

UncleMJM
07-10-2008, 18:56
I'd be interested, of course it won't be cool until November.

beeman
07-10-2008, 19:05
Any place particular you would like to go?

UncleMJM
07-10-2008, 19:14
I am in South Central Texas, Aggieland specifically, and am open to going anywhere within about 150 miles.

The only places that I have been hanging have been State Parks in the car camping areas or "walk in" sites and finding a large number of suitable trees close together for more than one or two hammocks is tough. I would take my youth group to places like Enchanted Rock, Pedernales Falls, Goliad, Lake Somerville, Mission Tejas, and McKinney Falls State parks and that set up worked great. They were on the ground and my wife and I would "hang out". The problem is, now my kids like hammocks too and I am looking for places as well.

In short, I am open to suggestions.

TexasRT
07-10-2008, 20:00
I'd be up for something in late October or early November. I'm open for anything in central Texas or maybe around Lake Texoma. Heck a trip to Beavers Bend to combine camping and trout fishing would be good.

beeman
07-11-2008, 07:56
Now that sounds good to me...Are you talking about up in Oklahoma?

rhjanes
07-11-2008, 08:28
I'm in the Dallas area. I'm new to all this. Would like to just meet and see hammock's in action and try them out. I'm talking an hour or so at a local park.

txulrich
07-11-2008, 09:29
I could be persuaded to come out. There are plenty of places to go. I'm also in the Dallas area. We could certainly carpool to save gas.

Peace,
Joe

neo
07-11-2008, 10:14
isnt most of texas flat and treeless and even ugly:cool:neo

campcrafter
07-11-2008, 11:00
WHOA THAR NEO!

Texas is a land of contrasts and while there are areas such as you describe - exceptin the ugly part - there are lots o trees in many parts such as in the east piney woods of God's chosen state. :)

If ya'll be would be up for it- maybe a hang in SE OK or SW AR and we could get a few more folks there from AR and MO.

cc
Texpatriate in Misery (MO)

Lone Wolf
07-11-2008, 11:19
East Tx near Tyler is all trees and very beautiful. Central Tx LBJ park area, Austin Tx and surrounding areas are all wooded and beautiful. I lived in San Antonio & the DFW area for years.

rhjanes
07-11-2008, 12:54
isnt most of texas flat and treeless and even ugly:cool:neo

Yes, Very ugly. The low temp is usually around 80 degrees with highs in the 100's. The humidity along the coast is a constant 100 percent. It is 10 percent 5 miles inland, all the way to Colorado. There are rattle snakes in downtown Dallas and some trantula spiders that lunch on small children. Which is why we all pack our guns on our hips. I just went out for lunch and had to hit an angry longhorn over the head with my rifle. He wouldn't get out of the way of my Super-Duty Truck. I know it's a small truck for these parts, but it was still bigger than that longhorn so he should a moved. I think he was crossing the freeway to get a better look at the buffalo on the other side.
Stay away from Texas.....

beeman
07-12-2008, 10:45
Well, right now I'm thinking of two areas for a get together. One is at Beaver's Bend Resort park at Broken Bow Lake in South East Oklahoma, and the other is in the hill country of Texas around Pedernales, Blanco or Guadalupe State Parks.

UncleMJM
07-12-2008, 14:39
My vote would be in the Hill Country.

Hector
07-12-2008, 21:49
FWIW, my (limited, true) experience in the Hill Country is that trees suitable for hanging are the exception rather than the rule.

eugeneius
07-13-2008, 04:27
Hey Beeman, I'm in southern new mexico and would be interested in a Guadalupe State Park trip hang, that area is really cool!

beeman
07-13-2008, 11:36
I made a quick check with the park service at Guadalupe state park. THey have trees up to 18 or 24" diameter. But also many cedar trees and smaller live oak trees. I will be going towards Fredericksburg this fall and could check on the suitability of the area for a hammocking get together around Thanksgiving plus or minus a week.

beeman
07-13-2008, 11:38
My vote would be in the Hill Country.

Given that your vote is for the hill country, do you have someplace in mind that has the trees of the right size and profusion to accomodate us?

UncleMJM
07-13-2008, 13:28
My vote was purely selfish from a mileage standpoint.

I mentioned in a previous post the State Parks where I have hung in the past. I was only in the "walk in" or "car camp" areas, not back country or group sites. I was able to find a place for a couple of hammocks in each park without much difficulty but I have no idea as far as multiple hangers. I will keep my eyes open.

Rat
07-13-2008, 18:27
Colorado Bend SP has a great primitive camp site I think would accommodate many hangers; plus a really cool giant old Live Oak to hang out under during the day, when we aren't swimming of course. It is considered Hill Country but it is mostly river bottom and low lands.

Granger Lake is close to Taylor, Texas (Granger, Texas as well) and has arguably the best primitive camp site in Texas. I have spent MANY nights out there. about 5 mile hike in, or a short boat (small)/canoe/kayak ride from the primitive boat launch. Granger has TONS of wildlife and is one of the premier Crappy lakes in the state. Granger Lake is corp of Engineers land operated by TP&WD, no permits needed for primitive camping (no charge either). Fishing license required for fishing. Granger is typical flatland with a few low rolling hills and river bottom pecan groves.

Texas State Natural Area is just North of San Antonio, Texas; close to Bandera actually. While the regular camp sites are usually full with car campers and RVers the primitive camp sites are usually open. Permit fee is required and the best one, The Hermit Shack, is about a 6 mile hike. Mountain bikes are welcome here also. Plenty of trees for multiple hangers. TSNA is typical Texas Hill Country, rocks, cactus, Juniper Cedar, Live Oak and spectacular views!

Caddo Lake in East Texas is one of the States best kept secrets in my opinion. A lake created my the Great Madrid Earthquake it is very similar to Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee, whiach was created during the same earthquake. While it is geared more toward car camping the lake is spectacular and the steam powered paddle boat tour is awesome! Great restaurants are close, great fishing is even closer and the big Cypress trees alone are worth the drive! Caddo had Typical East Texas vegetation and topography, amnd they have a great interactive trail and wildlife center for the kids (in all of us!).

I'm game, where we going?

beeman
07-16-2008, 06:54
I have always wanted to check out Caddo lake. All the hangin moss I see in pictures gives it an erie prehistoric kind of look to me.

Dragonfly
07-17-2008, 10:09
Caddo Lake sounds like fun. Does anyone have a date in mind?

freakflyer9999
07-17-2008, 21:33
I vote "Hill Country".

beeman
07-17-2008, 21:37
Fall around Thanksgiving is good for me, otherwise I have to wait for between Christmas and New Years.

schrochem
07-18-2008, 07:11
Holy cow we have quite a group here in texas...
It used to be just a few of us!
I'll take this opportunity to have people go to the home page (http://www.hammockforums.net/?) of HF and check out the Google map. If you aren't on it, make sure you add yourself.
I could be up for a group hang, but it's gonna depend on when and where so I can't fully commit. There are lots of places to go in the hill country but it depends if y'all wanna car camp or hike in somewhere. If you wanna hike in, Bastrop State park has an 'anywhere beyond this road (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4505_043c.pdf)' policy and lots of trees......
Basically, if you follow where the Boy Scouts go you can find a group area.....but of course it needs trees :)
Lost maples (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/lost_maples/)is a popular one.

beeman
07-19-2008, 14:56
Lost maples is beautiful. I hunt deer right up the road from Vanderpool on the escarpment. THose of us from Dallas/ Fort Worth might want to carpool since it's at least a seven hour drive.

6 feet over
07-19-2008, 15:10
Texas hanging?

When I first saw this, I thought you'd roped an Eagles fan and were planning a party!

beeman
07-19-2008, 15:14
Seems like we might have a NE trip and a hill Country trip on different occasions.

UncleMJM
07-19-2008, 15:52
My weekends are crazy booked through the end of the year so don't weigh my input too heavily on the final decision as to time and location. Wherever folks want to go, if I can make it, I will.

boar
07-23-2008, 22:03
Ok I been lurkin here for a while everytime i get ready to post a ? I find the
answer while readin other post. I think I'm safe this is the thread I've been waiting for.
I would be intrested in a ggroup hang even a quick overnight shakedown to check out gear b4 a trip.
I prefer paddlin to hiking so I would like a paddle in site but not mandatory
has a site been chosen yet?
i'd realy like to see some other hammock setups in person

Boar

Dragonfly
07-24-2008, 10:12
I'm with you, Boar. I was trying to decide what hammock I wanted for my birthday but after reading all the different posts I think I'm more confused than anything. I'd like the chance to see some hammocks "in action" before I invest some serious money into one.

Any chance of throwing a one or two nighter together maybe in early September? If anyone wants to travel nearly to Oklahoma there are some really nice spots around Paris. Pat Mayse Lake has plenty of trees and my Scout Troop is planning to go to Cooper Lake in August so I can check out the opportunities there.

beeman
07-24-2008, 15:40
I could go for a hammock hangout the weekend after Labor day.

boar
07-24-2008, 19:51
I could prolly do something then but unless gas prices come down I wont be able to go too far

Boar

fin
07-24-2008, 22:25
Granger has TONS of wildlife and is one of the premier Crappy lakes in the state.

They have premier crappy lakes in Texas? :eek: What are the bad ones like? :eek::eek:

I hope you meant crappie! :D:p

boar
07-26-2008, 01:58
I live just a couple miles from a premier crappy lake.......its full of crappie but I dont catch crap

Boar

boar
08-05-2008, 21:26
Anybody still thinkin on this?

Marty

UncleMJM
08-06-2008, 20:36
I'd love to go somewhere sometime, I've just been quiet since my schedule is pretty hectic. I will be there if it fits the calendar. I guess it also matters where "there" is, but I would be willing to drive anywhere within a 3 hour radius of College Station.

slowhike
08-06-2008, 20:41
I just looked at the google map again. MAN... there's a bunch of hammockers in Dallas & not to far away.
I hope yall can make it work!

Hophead
08-06-2008, 21:46
I'll see if the hang fits in with my son's Scouts schedule, but I'd love to join in as well if the timing works out. November is best, but I'll keep watching the posts to see what ya'll come up with.

boar
08-06-2008, 23:32
when it cools off a bit I wanna paddle around lake aquilla and do some hangin theres signs at the boat ramps that say no tents u know the circle with a tent and a slash through it I think that meant either no tents or no camping at the boat ramp it is ok to fish all night and picnic on shore I think napping would be ok specily if ya had a line out or something. lots of trees
anyone intrested
theres also the Brazos river but some sandbars dont have trees and some trees have landowners but there are some safe and legit places to camp

Marty