PDA

View Full Version : Need halp!! Buying ENO as first hang kit

easyIsle
04-04-2012, 10:06
Hi guys,

I did my due dilligence. As best I could. This forum has been a great help so far. But I need some personal advice, if you could..

This will be my first foray with hanging, aside from an old american style "twin bar" flat hammock that was hanging in my backyard when I was younger. I flipped that thing so many times...

Anyway, I will be transporting my hammock on my motorcycle in my backpack, so weight and packing are my primary concerns. I have decided NOT to spend on pricey hammocks right now, not to mention most of those are very bulky and heavy (the NX250 was calling my name at first..). I was considering a bridge-style hammock but I really dislike the bug net on the Jacks' Bear Bridge hammock.. not to mention ohw bulky that is. So, I'm going gathered-end with an ENO.

I'm pretty sure I want the doublenest since I'm 6'2 190 and will lay diagonally or perpendicular on the hammock from time to time. I need the bug net, because mosquitos absolutely LOVE my Italian blood. I like that it hangs below the hammock protecting my rear. I DONt like how I will still be bitten if i lay sideways, because the bug net touches the hammock... but oh well. Maybe I'll rig a trail stick or something to hold the bug net further out (has anyone addressed this?) I always carry deet, anyway, because Im the only one that gets eaten alive when I'm with a group.... Ill need the deet when I'm setting up, for sure. So maybe I'll just use that to protect here.

MY QUESTIONS are pretty simple... What suspension replacement should I buy? I hear the slapstraps will stretch. I probably wont be sleeping in the hammock much, but id like to be prepared to.

Is it possible to "sun" while in this hammock? I'm concerned it may be too "cocoon"-like for this. I do enjoy sun soaking from time to time. Is there any way I could maybe velcro-mod the sides so they can be configured underneath and out of my way when desired?

A very large tarp is necessary because I hope to protect my motorcycle under it as well. If that doesnt work (might not stop all the rain from hitting my bike if there is a breeze?), I guess I will buy a second tarp for the bike. Any suggestions here?

I'll need to buy stakes too? Do hammock tarps NOT come with guylines? Is there any tarp guyline rigging system that has an easy way to adjust tension from the tarp connection (while staying dry) Also, what the heck type of line should I use for this? I am simply overwhelmed by all the options available..

I think those are my only questions right now. Sorry I am so scatter-brained .. lol. I want to buy this kit this afternoon on Amazon since I have prime .. then I can enjoy it as soon as Friday. I cannot wait to set up outside before rain, complete with my laptop in the hammock (I work online and love the outdoors), and work contently all day to the sound of rain drops.

I'm also considering one of those $35 "hammock chairs" .. because I'm always looking for a place to place my rear when I'm out in the woods working on my laptop. Can the ENO DN work in place of a separate hammo-chair if I hang one-end-low and sit in that end, straddling the lower line?

Any advice /guidance is appreciated!! I CANNOT wait to hang.... this hobby fits my lifestyle so well that I'm absolutely astonished I did not find this forum and start hanging sooner.
Thanks in advance!

dgwarchitect
04-04-2012, 10:19
First thing I replaced was the suspension. Swapped out for the whoopie slings and use Hennessy Hammock tree huggers and carabiners. Also use the slap straps on occasion when both the HH are used by others, with the WS you can attach closer to the tree and eliminate some of the stretching inherent with the slap straps. I use one of two tarps 1) HH hex tarp-big enough to hang two hammock, don't know about a bike; 2) Or I use Etowah 12' x 12' tarp. String a ridge line and attach the tarp to the ridge line with prusik knots, makes centering and keeping it pulled tight real easy. We have HH Expeditions and Eno's and use them both. The Eno is a double and sleeps fine.

easyIsle
04-04-2012, 11:09
Thank you for the advice! I will pick up the whoopie slings and hennessy tree huggers (or comparable product available on amazon).

I realize I may not be able to finalize this purchase today, so I'm headed off to my local walmart to pick up this guy: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equip-Travel-Hammock/20434439

Figure it can't hurt. I will review further kit selections while hanging in it today :)

lymphocytosis
04-04-2012, 11:29
The only whoopie slings you will be able to find on Amazon are much too big for a hammock suspension. Your best bet is to use one of the vendors here on the site. 7/64 Amsteel is usually plenty for most hangers. You will get a square deal from any of them. Make sure you get polyester tree straps and not nylon.

mophead
04-04-2012, 12:47
Since you said weight and bulk are concerns I would also suggest whoopie slings or whoopies in an all in one system to replace the stock suspension.

I would also guess a double nest may be unneccessary for you. I am 6'4" and I find the singleness comfortable. This would also help you get more sun with less side material flopping around. It's your call though.

As far as bugs... I would treat the entire kit, Bugnet and all, with permethrin. I almost always sleep inside a sleeping bag and find a HUG (half bug net) quite adequate to simplify setup and reduce weight/bulk compared to a full bugnet.

ernesthemmingway
04-04-2012, 17:31
+1 on buying from the cottage vendors here on the forums. I think youll get a better product and better service by going that route. There are many different vendors on the forums that sell all types of suspension systems, and any other kind of hammock accessory you can think of for that matter. Part of the fun for me is browsing around and checking out all the gear before I buy something. Also, be sure to check the for sale section. There is usually some reasonably priced ENO hammocks for sale.
Concerning bugnets, I have the ENO guardian bug net, and while it gets the job done fine, Im not very happy with it. Its kind of difficult to get setup, and I think its just a little more complicated than it needs to be. But thats just my opinion; others have no problems with it. Welcome to the forums.

Boomer
04-04-2012, 19:11
I'm pretty sure I want the doublenest.

Good choice, if you're going with the ENO.

I need the bug net, because mosquitos absolutely LOVE my Italian blood.

I don't care for any of the separate bug nets. They're a little on the fussy side. If you need one, I suggest what everyone else said, use one of the cottage industry vendors here. If you have to have it now & don't want to wait a couple weeks, you could try something like a Byer of Maine with integrated bug net (until you upgrade). Or, you could go to REI and with your membership get 20% off one item: a Hennesey, maybe with an included tarp.

Is it possible to "sun" while in this hammock? Yes, all the time. I even roll the extra fabric over to get out of the sun.

A very large tarp is necessary... Any suggestions here?

Cheap to expensive: A wally world blue tarp, a Kelty Noah 12, a Warbonnet SuperFly.

I'll need to buy stakes too? Do hammock tarps NOT come with guylines?

Yes. MSR Groundhogs are a good bet for lightweight, or just Coglands heavy metal ones for MC camping.

Is there any tarp guyline rigging system that has an easy way to adjust tension from the tarp connection (while staying dry) Also, what the heck type of line should I use for this? I am simply overwhelmed by all the options available..

I like the JacksRBetter guylines with surgical tubing bungees. It also comes with a couple pieces that can be used for a tarp ridgeline.

Can the ENO DN work in place of a separate hammo-chair if I hang one-end-low and sit in that end, straddling the lower line?

I do it all the time. Don't waste your money on a separate chair.

Straps are harder to come by. A good hammock & set of straps on Amazon is the Kammok Roo & Python Straps. If you check out the "Review Section", you can see a review of this hammock, the ENO Double & a Grand Trunk Double that I did a few weeks ago.

easyIsle
04-05-2012, 09:25
Thanks so much guys!!

Unfortunately, despite walmart website showing that crappy hammock in stock, not one of the 3 had it anywhere. Serves me right for trying to shop there.

Thats ok, thanks to prime Next Day upgrade and a great UPS driver (Delivering at 10 am instead of the "end of day" guaranteed), I am now the proud owner of a Khaki/black DoubleNest!

I did strongly consider the single but for the slight weight difference, more room for lying perpendicular, and ability to house a friend, I think I made the right choice. Time will tell!

As far as permethin .. also considered that! I'm probably lucky I didnt buy the one with it built-it .. as soon as I unpacked the DN, and turned around to type this, I heard my cat "Loco" kneeding it in preparation for her nap. I dont need holes so I relocated her before she could do any damage, but if it was permethin I'm sure I would be freaking out right now!! (apparently very toxic to cats?)

I did go with the guardian bugnet. I understand how it will likely be difficult to set up, but I can use the practice :) I will likely upgrade soon from a vendor on here, as I did not yet buy a tarp either.

Now, off to Dicks sports to find some kind of disposable tree-strap system. Once I'm hanging (today) I will check out the vendors and find myself a nice tarp, guylines, stakes, and new suspension.

I appreciate all the help guys! I will be hanging around and hanging around here often as I learn more about the perfect hang.

Boomer
04-05-2012, 11:35
about your strap system. Get some poly shipping straps for $10 to $13 from wallyworld. I've used them in a pinch, just had the tension buckle at the tree end. Use a loop with a toggle, like Shug shows.

I have a friend that had the bug net. His daughter sat down in the hammock & then the bottom of the bug net ripped out. MAKE SURE that you have enough slack below the ridgeline that holds the net up that the bottom doesn't blow out when you put weight on it!

Permetherin would not be good on you or the cat in it's liquid state.

I got a bottle of 38% from an animal supply co-op (meant to put on horses or you vegetable garden). I put a gallon of water with a couple table spoons of permetherin & soaked all my hammocks. Hang yours up to dry. When done (dried throughly), the permetherin is bonded to the fabric & won't harm you or the cat. (It works on some kind of microscopic level to interact/ruin an insect's exoskeleton. This is basically what ExOffico does with their insect repellant clothing.

Shnick
04-05-2012, 11:46
I bought the same one you did, same color too...

I got all my whoopies, straps and associated parts from whoopieslings dot com, I'm very happy with it and they are a first rate cottage enterprise that takes customer service seriously. Slap straps are now in the trash. They do stretch a lot, even after 2 hrs use. So far you're on the right path, there are several options out there, all ya gotta do is search the sticky's in the DIY forum. Grizz, Shug and others have made a ton of helpful vids.

All my hammock gear can get squished in a bag about double the size of the original ENO pouch. For a started kit you couldnt have done better. You can still shave ounces later, but enjoy whatcha got now.

Cheers!
Shnick

easyIsle
04-05-2012, 13:10
You guys(and gals) are the friendliest most helpful folk on the net! and I travel a lot of internet forums! Must be all that relaxing you guys do..

I'm writing this post from within my doublenest, out in the woods several miles from civilization (I lied, Local woods. theres a house maybe 500ft away). Unfortunately ****'s sporting goods (another big box store I dont love shopping at) had absolustely nothing related to hammocks, despite the illusion created by their website. When I asked the greeter where to go .. he did say "We dont have any hammock stuff here yet". This makes me believe Hammock-ing is/has begun to take off recently?!? Funny how I find it now!

Anyway .. all the advice you folks gave me.. I figured I would share my first hang with you. It is pathetic, I admit. But I was working with what I had. I picked up $13 of poly rope (800lb test, 50ft x 2) at ****'s because I was DETERMINED to hang today and they had nothing else (and I wasnt about to lug chain in my backpack). Also picked up $4 lighter line to help with the bug net. Didnt have a knife either.

Well, this is what I ended up with. (I wont ask you not to laugh, because how could you not.... but at least try to muffle it a little?)
http://i.imgur.com/RkZIch.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cn4rlh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HeI9th.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hlZkDh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Z0yPdh.jpg

With laptop on my lap .. I'm finding the extra fabric is AWESOME under my armpits, to prop my arms up to type while I get extra sun. Then if I bring my arms inside, I can create two little shelves on either side of me that prop up my arms less but still very comfortable to type.

VERY happy with my purchase so far. Have not yet used the bug net but I will once the sun goes down a bit further and the bugs come out. I will probably experiment with this rope a little more as I like how it is infinitely variable (and cheap as dirt!)

Thanks again all!

Bob Bobson
04-05-2012, 13:28
You guys(and gals) are the friendliest most helpful folk on the net! and I travel a lot of internet forums! Must be all that relaxing you guys do..

I'm writing this post from within my doublenest, out in the woods several miles from civilization (I lied, Local woods. theres a house maybe 500ft away). Unfortunately ****'s sporting goods (another big box store I dont love shopping at) had absolustely nothing related to hammocks, despite the illusion created by their website. When I asked the greeter where to go .. he did say "We dont have any hammock stuff here yet". This makes me believe Hammock-ing is/has begun to take off recently?!? Funny how I find it now!

Anyway .. all the advice you folks gave me.. I figured I would share my first hang with you. It is pathetic, I admit. But I was working with what I had. I picked up $13 of poly rope (800lb test, 50ft x 2) at ****'s because I was DETERMINED to hang today and they had nothing else (and I wasnt about to lug chain in my backpack). Also picked up $4 lighter line to help with the bug net. Didnt have a knife either.

Well, this is what I ended up with. (I wont ask you not to laugh, because how could you not.... but at least try to muffle it a little?)

With laptop on my lap .. I'm finding the extra fabric is AWESOME under my armpits, to prop my arms up to type while I get extra sun. Then if I bring my arms inside, I can create two little shelves on either side of me that prop up my arms less but still very comfortable to type.

VERY happy with my purchase so far. Have not yet used the bug net but I will once the sun goes down a bit further and the bugs come out. I will probably experiment with this rope a little more as I like how it is infinitely variable (and cheap as dirt!)

Thanks again all!

Welcome to the forum easyIsle! I won't laugh, both because I'm a fellow noob and because I'm frankly impressed by your MacGyver rope skills and determination to hang. All I can say is, you're going to be so happy when you buy/make an actual suspension! Good luck!

Boomer
04-05-2012, 13:35
Congrats on your first hang! If I could suggest, undo the ropes from the base of the tree and you'll get a better hang. It will make it so that it's not quite so flat...

Shnick
04-05-2012, 13:48
Congrats!

Looks good so far! That rope takes up a lot of room in a pack, look for "whoopie slings" and Polyester straps. Get a spare set, they'll wear out eventually, or you'll need them in a great spot with few trees close.

You'd be surprised how thin a piece of amsteel can be to support 1000 lbs.

Even though you'll be biking it, having a small kit leaves room for more important things in your pack, like food or water. I'll try to post a pic tonight to show what I mean.

Shnick

DivaB
04-05-2012, 14:06
+1 on the whoopie slings and tree slaps (don't get those Eno tree slaps though...they're terrible!) The tree slaps/tree huggers are to protect the trees.

Nice try though and a creative solution to trying it out with what was available to you at the time. One of the things Shug told me when I first started was to "just get out there and start hanging". That is exactly what I did, while accumulating the necessary gear over time, and still trying to acquire some pieces here and there. Still need to make proper under quilts. It's been a great learning experience and has become a huge part of my life now (addiction) ;).