PDA

View Full Version : What comes in the bag?

BigDogDVJ
04-05-2012, 12:43
I'm considering purchasing an ENO Doublenest but I haven't been able to figure out if it comes with everything I need to hang it from a tree right out of the bag.

All my searches give me suspension recommendations but I can't find what comes stock. So is it true that I will have to buy tree straps to begin using it on day one?

Any help is appreciated...

angrysparrow
04-05-2012, 12:47
Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you'll have to buy some sort of tree straps separately. ENO sells 'slapstraps' as their suspension option. It's not clear why they are not included with the hammock. At any rate, the slapstraps are not recommended, as they are made of nylon. That allows for a lot of stretch over the course of a night's hang.

To memory, the only thing included in the stock ENO bag is a short length of rope that is tied through each end of the hammock's end channels, and a steel biner on each length of rope.

There are literally dozens of different suspension options for the ENO, though. And they need not be either complicated or expensive. Maybe take a look through the suspensions forum and see what appeals to you.

Chug
04-05-2012, 12:53
I got the ENO Pro.. It only came with Carabiners on the end. and built in stuff sack.

That was my issue, was how to hang it. right away, I did use Ratchet strap & make loop in strap to hang Carabiner into. works. Then bought some Amesteel & made Whoopie slings. Learned from This forum. A wealth of info,

Now, hard part got to wait for next camp out to go play.

Bubba
04-05-2012, 12:53
You'll need to get some kind of suspension. All that comes with it are rope fed through the end channels of the hammock and a metal carabiner. Its common consensus here to avoid the ENO slap straps since they are nylon and stretch. Polyester is the preferred webbing for tree huggers. Many people also ditch the stock ropes and carabiner because they are heavy. Look at the suspension forum for some ideas.

daveocelott
04-05-2012, 12:57
I just bought an eno double nest yesterday. Its like he said no suspension. I went to wally world and bought a $12 pair of 600 lb ratchet straps and made my own. Thank you Shug for your videos. With out them i would still be wondering wth a toggle is for.

Shnick
04-05-2012, 17:41
I just bought an eno double nest yesterday. Its like he said no suspension. I went to wally world and bought a $12 pair of 600 lb ratchet straps and made my own. Thank you Shug for your videos. With out them i would still be wondering wth a toggle is for.

I'd watch for wear dave, 600 lbs to me just doesn't seem safe... You have more weight on the straps than you think, the angle of the straps in relation to the ground increases the tension considerably.

Be careful!!

I just got some poly straps in from whoopie sling dot com and they're rated for well over 1000 lbs. Think I paid like 12-14 for them. Well worth it!

Shnick

daveocelott
04-05-2012, 19:42
I got the ones with 1800 break strength 600 working weight. Thanks ill check them out. I am looking into getting some woopie slings next.

BigDogDVJ
04-05-2012, 22:19
Thanks for all the information everyone! I learned more here than I did on the ENO site.

I'm going to pick up the double nest tomorrow and at least now I know what to expect.

Bubba
04-05-2012, 22:30
Be careful when packing up the hammock with the stock carabiners. The ones I got like many others here have sharp teeth on the gate that could pinch fabric and even create small holes. Don't know if ENO has changed them but the ones I'm talking about are heavy and possibly damaging.

ernesthemmingway
04-06-2012, 00:44
Be careful when packing up the hammock with the stock carabiners. The ones I got like many others here have sharp teeth on the gate that could pinch fabric and even create small holes. Don't know if ENO has changed them but the ones I'm talking about are heavy and possibly damaging.

I bought one recently, its the same deal. I always leave those carabiners outside of the bag and away from my hammock when I pack it up.

GingivitisKahn
04-06-2012, 09:45
I bought one recently, its the same deal. I always leave those carabiners outside of the bag and away from my hammock when I pack it up.

Yep - that's definitely the way to do that - until you replace them with whoopies. :D