PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Rogers Campout Posts!

blackbishop351
01-28-2007, 17:31
Since (I hope) everyone is getting home pretty soon, I thought I'd start a thread for comments, stories, gear discussions, etc. pertaining to the trip!

For myself, I'm thrilled at how well the trip went! I really enjoyed getting to know everyone, checking out all the gear ideas, and staying WARM in LOW temps and HIGH winds. I'll reserve my insulation descriptions until Jeff and Tim give some official word on the overnight winds/wind chills.

Pics coming too!

Just Jeff
01-28-2007, 18:06
I think -3F was the agreed-upon low on Fri night, and -6F on Saturday night.

slowhike
01-28-2007, 18:51
I think -3F was the agreed-upon low on Fri night, and -6F on Saturday night.

that sounds right.

GREAT TRIP by the way!!!
it was really good to see folks i haven't seen in a while & meet several for the first time.
we hated that HE,prekolady & others that wanted to make the trip weren't able to make it.
the jacks gave demonstrations on attaching underquilts & using the no snivler w/ the pad converter.
michele, i apologize but i forgot all about trying to get a video of the underquilt adjustments. maybe the jacks can be talked into doing that & providing a link to it. but they may need some recovery time after that long hike. their not as young as we are ya know<g>.
we had some fairly new hammockers & some brand new hammockers that did great in the cold. it would be good to tell a little more about that... especially how we "collectively" put together a cold weather hammock for pandaman who didn't even have a hammock. he slept so warm that he started over-heating & had to take off some clothing.
the hot dog supper was great & the JRB give-away was even better. only problem was that ncpatrick had some how got my ticket & he ended up w/ the grand prize... the STELTH QUILT!!!
but really it was fun for every one & we really appreciate the jacks doing that for the camp-out group and especially for the white blaze & hammock forums!!!
more to come... including pictures!!! ...tim

Doctari
01-28-2007, 19:17
I just got home.

WOW, what a great time!!!!!!!

Doctari.

slowhike
01-28-2007, 19:21
I just got home.

Doctari.

it was good to meet you doc. it was great!

blackbishop351
01-28-2007, 19:38
I just got home.

Doctari.

Yeah, Doc, great to meet ya! Good hiking with ya too!

blackbishop351
01-28-2007, 19:39
Btw, I just posted most of my relevant pics in the gallery. Some are in the 'faces' section, and there's a couple of my setup in the 'hammock landscapes' section. After I got home, I realized I didn't have ANY pics of anyone else's setup - I really need to get a bigger memory card for my camera!

Peter_pan
01-28-2007, 20:05
Top, Smee and I got home safely about two hours ago...

We had a blast on many counts.... first, Putting faces to all the primary hangers' name was great....Better still was getting to know most of the hangers on a personal basis was even better...Just being out in our hammocks is always a welcome treat...And the negative numbers with wind gusts of 30-45 knots (no gage but it easily moved the tops of 40-50 trees without leaves through sways of 10-15 feet).... We definately were swinging... heck, couple of times it was like the old firemans blanket toss when getting hoisted a couple inches, on each sway.... It was like the Wise Shelter area put in an "E" ticket ride for us...WAHOOH!!!

Sleeping bare footed, bare handed, in 3 oz ea silk Top and Bottoms through that ride into the negative number range was proof enough that year round hanging is clearly doable.... the fact that there were 13 other hangers, including JJ's 7 year old son and Pandaman, a virgin Hammock Hanger, in our extra gear pieced together Sat afternoon under scores the preparedness of the group....No one bailed either night....Yea Team... Better yet no one even was cold....

The new JRB prototype hammock tents all did pretty good in the 1/2 inch ice and snow shower of Sat night ... They, also, really made laughing at the wind on Friday night too easy... Your positive reception of them has encouraged us to take the for manufacturers prototyping the first week of Feburary....

Much to do tonight...more later... hope all got home safely.

Pan

slowhike
01-28-2007, 21:11
i came back w/ 75 pictures on the camera, but i only posted 46. i'll probably need to thin them down later this week.
they are in landscapes.

Bird Dog
01-28-2007, 22:48
Double B and I made it home safely too and had a GREAT time. I learned alot from the Jacks "training" and it was cool to put a face with all of the names. I now feel WAAAAY more comfortable about hanging in the cold. I was toasty warm in just a JRB Nest and No Sniveller. I took pics mostly of my own setup and will post them after I download them off of my camera. I checked out everyones setup except Black Bishops (he was too close to the privy!!!!!) and have pictures of a few. Once I look at what has already been posted I will add mine if I have something not already there. In addition to learning lots from the Jacks and having an all around good time, Jeff gave me LOTS of insight about taking my own kids to the woods and I cant wait. Thanks to the Jacks for the raffle (I won a pair of the coveted Python Skins and a set of STLs)! HeadChange, I hope you and Doctari didnt break down carrying all the extra weight of the rest of the raffle items home (Luckiest man alive, other than NCPatrick).
Great time. This is my first such event and I loved it. Already making plans for Trail Days. I hope to meet you all one day.

BD

Bird Dog
01-28-2007, 22:49
Oh yea...With the temps what they were, did we have a group low temperature record breaking hang? :confused: BD

blackbishop351
01-28-2007, 22:53
Oh yeah....I just wanted to make sure, for those who didn't know already, that the ticket that won the quilt was originally MINE :confused: I didn't bring anything for the dinner, so my guilty conscience made me give away a couple tickets to those who did bring something.....

On the other hand, NCPatrick sleeps a lot colder than I do, so in all fairness he'll probably get a lot more use out of it :D

Bird Dog
01-28-2007, 23:04
I made it all the way home when I found that Double B only brought home the buns. Is Pan eating hotdogs the rest of the week or Smee? I think that there were quite a few left. BD

blackbishop351
01-28-2007, 23:37
They were gone by the time I headed up the trail, so someone must've grabbed them...wasn't me or Slowhike or NCPatrick, though.

Bird Dog
01-28-2007, 23:39
They were gone by the time I headed up the trail, so someone must've grabbed them...wasn't me or Slowhike or NCPatrick, though.

Must have been Top. "FEED THE MACHINE"! BD

blackbishop351
01-28-2007, 23:40
You see Tim's pics of the back of my Jeep?? :D

Bird Dog
01-28-2007, 23:43
You see Tim's pics of the back of my Jeep?? :D

Yea. I thought about something along the same lines, but was busy scraping my own car so we could leave.

By the way, I think that there is another thread on the campout that someone else started. Maybe Jeff or Troll can put them together for all to enjoy! I had a blast! BD

Bird Dog
01-28-2007, 23:57
I always carry a waterproof pad that I use as a journal and to write down what I can do better. I only stayed for one night on this one, but thought I would share what I found. Some of it may sound silly to some of you, but thats why we do what we do. Everynight that I hang, I learn.
- I learned the "proper" way to attach my JRB Nest
- I need to carry a few more biners with me for attaching things to my HH Spectra and/or Ridgeline (i.e. Pack to the head side of the HH to help keep me from sliding to the foot end). (Thanks Pan and Smee) You can never have enough Biners.
- I need to carry a 12" x 20" (or so) foam pad to use as a sit pad, or as something to stand on when changing clothes, or to insulate that one troublesome cold spot that finds you at 3 am in the hammock. (Thanks Smee)
- I need more practice with the Hennessey Knot
- Cut the eyes out of my military style Baklava. It was so tight around my eyes, it made everything blurry until I took it off.
- A standard pencil is not tough enough to carry in my hipbelt pocket without breaking. I think Im going to try a Construction pencil. I need a pencil because I use waterproof paper.
- Site selection when hanging (especially when it is windy) is KEY. It makes a HUGE difference. (Thanks Pan).
- Tips for bringing kids camping (Thanks Jeff)

Theres much more, but I will save it for later. BD

Hana Hanger
01-29-2007, 04:33
Sounds like everyone had a great time.
Geesh was it only boys night out? No girls/women came for the hammock camp???

I have been waiting a long time for a hammock tent...ever since I saw the one enclosed tarptent type that Youngblood made you can see it on Just Jeff's site. I even emailed him once and begged for one...hee hee but alas he was not making any.

I think a lot of the ground huggers might just come to the dark side now:D
We wish you Well Peter_pan and Smee on this new adventure of yours.

Doctari
01-29-2007, 08:34
SOME of the things I learned over the weekend:

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. Friday night I set up oriented E W, wind was primarily frim the west, I got a bit chilled. Saturday I took the time to relocate to a N S orientation with better wind protection (behind a Rhododendron thicket) Much warmer!

I already knew this, but it was reinforced: Practice with your gear, all of it. I didn't practice with my homemade fleece "underquilt" prior to this trip. Actually I never even put it on the hammock till Friday night. It worked, but it might not have.

Hammocks ARE 4 season shelters!

A small piece of ensolite or similar material is CRITICAL in cold weather camping, for: sitting on, standing on, extra windscreen, etc.

Duck if standing up near the back of Wise shelter :p BONG!

Using a "open air" privy, at 1:00 AM on a windy sub 30 night, is, , , , interesting.

The pads* worked for me, but: heavy, BULKY, limited area protected. Yes, they worked, but rolling over, or moving in any way ment I had to wake up & very carefully move so I wouldn't disturb the pads or "fall" off of them. The fleece underquilt, once it was properly hung added maybe 10 deg. & allowed me a little flexability, but as soon as I can, I'm going underquilt!!!!!!

I learned so much this weekend that I still havn't digested it all. Thanks everyone!

I highly reccomend everyone going to the next winter campout, even if you never plan on doing cold weather camping "for real", we may convert you to the cold side.

Doctari.

* My pads: a reflective truck windscreen w thin CCfoam taped to it, a regular (blue) ensolite pad with 2.5" of thin ensolite taped to each side. I havn't measured them, but believe each pad to be about 25" wide. I'm about 22" wide at sholders, so I had minimal insulation on sides.

Grinder
01-29-2007, 08:56
My congratulations to those who survived the weekend campout.

This Florida boy got cold just looking at the pictures.

The part that would bother me is standing around waiting for bedtime. On Springer Mountain, during the rainy New Years Weekend, that was my problem. Should have gone for a hike I guess.

As an 8 hour sleeper, 12 hours of darkness would make for a long night.

But, again, more power to you. You do need to prctice to have the skill needed to survive cold on the trail.

Tom

Ewker
01-29-2007, 08:59
I saw a few packs and they sure were over stuffed and gear hanging everywhere off of them. Curious as to what your packs weighed for such a short hike in.

stoikurt
01-29-2007, 09:17
I'm so jealous. Looks like you guys had a great time and I wish I could have been there. All the pictures were great. It would be nice to have a little more descriptions included with them but I know you were anxious to get them loaded.

All was not lost this weekend. I finished my first 2-layer hammock and got some venison for the freezer!

I hope I can make one of the campouts some time.

Bird Dog
01-29-2007, 10:09
To answer a few questions if I may:

It was a bunch of guys playing "Fort" (thats what my and Double B's wife calls it) as there were no females there.

My pack weighed 17 pounds. But, prior to going on this campout, Double B and I were not worried about counting grams because our objective of the hang was to try different combinations of insulation to determine what our comfort zones were. I didnt really see any very large packs.

Most of us stayed up at Wise shelter on Saturday night until at least 9pm just talking about gear and other things. Some went to thier hammocks and read after that. Some, stayed up at the shelter until 3am.

There were a few groups of hikers that came through while we were at the shelter on Saturday. One of those groups were from Florida!

BD

NCPatrick
01-29-2007, 10:25
Yes, it was a great trip.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone, putting faces with names, getting tons of good advice and tips from everyone (especially Pan -- thanks!), and of course winning the JRB Stealth quilt, which is and will be greatly appreciated! Seems like everyone won something, which was great to see.

I learned how to tie a taut-line hitch, how to keep your shoes dry and/or dry them when they're wet, and I learned a lot from seeing everybody's hammock setup (but only saw blackbishop's from afar -- thanks for the pictures).

I learned not to stand upright in the back of Wise shelter (bong!), and I finally saw one of the famous (or infamous) shelter mice.

I'm still assimilating all of the many lessons learned.

PS. Bird Dog, the difference in our lines was due to mine being an Explorer Deluxe, not Ultralight.

Ewker
01-29-2007, 10:31
this is a large pack with gear hanging off :eek: ...no offense Tim ;)

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=406&c=10

blackbishop351
01-29-2007, 10:49
this is a large pack with gear hanging off :eek: ...no offense Tim ;)

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=406&c=10

In Tim's defense, he's one of the most constantly innovative hikers I've ever met - not to mention hammockers. Tim spends most of his time at home thinking up and fabricating great new ideas, so when he gets to get on the trail, he likes to bring a lot of his stuff to try out. As a result, he sometimes brings more than he might actually need, but we would all be worse off if he didn't! Incidentally, part of what's hanging off Tim's pack was the community trash bag, which he was nice enough to tote back to the parking lot...

And besides...I had a pretty bulky pack too, as did a lot of people - but bulk doesn't necessarily mean weight! :D

neo
01-29-2007, 11:09
you guys are now the record holders for low temps you got the rest of us beat:cool: neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=327

headchange4u
01-29-2007, 13:40
Got home safe and sound, look a long, hot shower and then the wife and I went to Ryans and I torn up the buffet.

I had a absolute blast at the Mt Rogers outing. It was great to put faces with the members here at the forum.

I came away with a newfound respect for my hammock. Even in the low temps we experienced I stayed warm and very comfortable both nights. I was sweating Saturday night!:eek: It was great to have veteran hammock campers like Pan and Smee there to help tweak my setup.

This was also the best learning experience I have ever had as far as hammock camping.

Big thanks to Doctari for the ride. You were a great travel companion.

Click to see photo gallery. (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/Winter%20Campout/)

BTW,
Doctari and I almost got stuck on the way out but we were able to put all the gear I won at the raffle in the back of the van and the extra weigh was enough to get us out! :eek: :D :D :D :p

blackbishop351
01-29-2007, 13:57
Great pix, man! And thanks for the really goofy one of me under the rocks on our hike... :p

NCPatrick
01-29-2007, 14:02
Fantastic pictures. Thanks!

Peter_pan
01-29-2007, 15:14
I saw a few packs and they sure were over stuffed and gear hanging everywhere off of them. Curious as to what your packs weighed for such a short hike in.

All of us brought extra clothes because we were hanging out not really hiking...Most brough their extra prototype ideas, to show case ( thx Slow hike) ... We had two spare hammocks among us and enough extra gear to hang a "virgin" on a super cold night... AND BEST OF ALL WE HAD A TON OF REAL FOOD that had to be slept in.... Plus JRB shlept in 20 prizes for the Forum support raffle...

My pack itself with extra clothes, food and water came to 26 pounds ... Including the new prototype Bunk House Hammock Tent with 50 sq feet of fully enclosed floor space.

Pan

neo
01-29-2007, 15:30
All of us brought extra clothes because we were hanging out not really hiking...Most brough their extra prototype ideas, to show case ( thx Slow hike) ... We had two spare hammocks among us and enough extra gear to hang a "virgin" on a super cold night... AND BEST OF ALL WE HAD A TON OF REAL FOOD that had to be slept in.... Plus JRB shlept in 20 prizes for the Forum support raffle...

My pack itself with extra clothes, food and water came to 26 pounds ... Including the new prototype Bunk House Hammock Tent with 50 sq feet of fully enclosed floor space.

Pan

:) wow thats awesome:cooll: neo

neo
01-29-2007, 15:35
:) i wished i could have made it,but this custody thing is going to put a damper on a lot of stuff for a while,my oldest son now living with me my youngest son coming in may,they are hammock hangers to.i just bought them kayaks
so this summer we while be kayaking and hammock hanging:cool: neo

slowhike
01-29-2007, 15:53
i did have extra stuff to use for lounging around camp. plus i did something i don't usually do anymore... i brought several things just in case someone else needed it.
but everyone was well prepared. the only thing that someone else used was an extra quilt, used as an under-quilt for pandaman's trial set-up.
he had all he needed for sleeping in his tent, but he's been wanting to get a hammock so we came up w/ enough extra stuff from among the group to put him up in a hammock that so well insulated that he got hot!
with all the extra/unneeded stuff, my pack weighed 33lbs, but i knew it was a short walk in. ...tim

stoikurt
01-29-2007, 16:03
With as big as your pack looked, 33 pounds is not bad.

Miguel
01-29-2007, 16:18
I'm not sure what I'm looking at in this picture. It looks like some sort of transparent tarp over another tarp but it also appears to be more than just a plastic sheet. Can someone tell me what the heck I'm looking at?

Miguel

Ewker
01-29-2007, 16:27
looks like an iced over gear guide tarp

blackbishop351
01-29-2007, 16:34
Yeah, that's Doctari's 9x9 Neo tarp on Sunday morning after we had quite a bit of snow and ice. He just hangs his on the square rather than on the diagonal.

Just Jeff
01-29-2007, 17:47
Hey guys - I don't put my son's name on the internet. I appreciate all the kind words about him, but I've edited his name out of the two posts that mentioned it. Guess I should have said something sooner...

I don't have time right now to look through all the pictures, but I can't wait! If you've included his name in a caption in the pic, please edit it out...I'll go through it later tonight if you don't have time...no big deal.

Can't wait to see them all, though!

I'll merge the threads later tonight, too.

Sorry for the rushed post...I'll write more pleasantries later!

Doctari
01-29-2007, 18:17
Yeah, that's Doctari's 9x9 Neo tarp on Sunday morning after we had quite a bit of snow and ice. He just hangs his on the square rather than on the diagonal.

Yep, that's me. The clear tarp over another tarp is indeed ICE over my SG camo tarp. It was just a bit nippy Saturday night :D

In warm weather I rig it diagonally, but in cold weather (or if I don't have the room tween trees), I rig square. I seem to get better protection square, well, provided I'm oriented correctly that is :rolleyes:

Crash
01-29-2007, 18:35
I'm **** sorry I missed it due to the cold weather killing the pipes in my house.
I went to the PA Ruck since I got such a late start coming from NJ
I was already too tired from fixing the pipes.:mad:

nice photos

Miguel
01-29-2007, 21:07
Yep, that's me. The clear tarp over another tarp is indeed ICE over my SG camo tarp. It was just a bit nippy Saturday night :D

In warm weather I rig it diagonally, but in cold weather (or if I don't have the room tween trees), I rig square. I seem to get better protection square, well, provided I'm oriented correctly that is :rolleyes:

That is downright amazing. Even upon knowing that and going back to look at it again, it just doesn't seem possible. It appears like there is space between the outer layer, (the ice) and the inner layer (the tarp). It's a fascinating picture! It's hard to imagine you stayed warm in there! You part Eskimo or something?:o

Miguel

Doctari
01-29-2007, 22:16
That is downright amazing. Even upon knowing that and going back to look at it again, it just doesn't seem possible. It appears like there is space between the outer layer, (the ice) and the inner layer (the tarp). It's a fascinating picture! It's hard to imagine you stayed warm in there! You part Eskimo or something?:o

Miguel

I finally dried out my tarp, still had the ice in places. Looking at the pic, I see what you mean, I assure you it's an optical illusion. The ice was at least 1/16 inch or more that side, more on the oposite / windward side.

Funny you should ask, my boss calls me a "Homesick Eskimo" & needs to wear a jacket when we work together, in the summer, cause I like it cooler than most. But as far as I know, no Inuit ancestors. Yes, I stayed Warm N Toasty: wearing 1 tee shirt, 2 sweatshirts, 1 wool shirt, but as best we can tell wind chill brought the temp anywhere from -6 to -23. (3 wind chill charts couldn't agree, all "government issue" or at least copies.)

Doctari.

Hangman
01-29-2007, 23:14
What gear were you guys using? That must of been one cold night!

Just Jeff
01-29-2007, 23:26
Uploaded a few pics to the Gallery and did my usual write-up on the website.
http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesMtRogers.html

I couldn't shake all the ice off of my tarp, either...I had quite a bit of water dripping off of my tarp when I unpacked it at home.

This was really a great trip...glad everyone could come. Hope the next one gets even more folks out (and I'll bring the s'mores this time!).

hangnout
01-29-2007, 23:36
Nice report, I like the way you had the two hammocks under one tarp. I want to try this with my youngest daughter. Any tips?

blackbishop351
01-29-2007, 23:38
Nice write-up as always, Jeff! And sorry if I inadvertently mentioned your son's name (I can't remember if I did or not).

Just Jeff
01-30-2007, 00:14
BB - I don't think you posted his name. No big deal anyway...I didn't think about mentioning it at the campout, so it's my bad. Just one of my safety rules, though.

HANGnOUT - it's really easy if she's small...just hang them from the same tree. If you want some separation, hang your hammock so it comes off of one side of a wide tree (rather than from the middle, like normal), and have her hammock come off the other side.

Hang hers a bit lower than yours...since you're heavier, you'll have more sag than her when you get in. If she starts out lower, you'll end up in about the right place when you both get in. If you can hang it low enough so she doesn't need your help to get in, all the better.

Make sure the sides of her hammock are tight enough that you're comfortable she won't fall out. If you have any doubt about her staying in, you'll wake up every time she moves even a little bit...and won't get a bit of sleep!

Put yourself on the windward side so you block the wind from her. And so you catch any windblown rain and can fix it...she may not realize until it's too late that a few drops on her face means you need to adjust the tarp.

I always bring two tarps. I generally only set up one and it's been fine, but if a big rainstorm comes I want to be absolutely sure I have enough protection. A cold wet night for me is ok...a cold wet night for a kid might turn them off to camping for good. I did use my second tarp as a windbreak one night on an exposed ridgeline. He thought the protected site was too creepy...it kinda was, too...so we had to stay in a beautiful but exposed spot and I'm glad I had the second tarp b/c the MacCat wasn't enough to protect both of us that time.

I like being close enough to touch him when we're sleeping, too. He can't regulate his temp yet, so I like to make sure he's not sweating or getting too cold at night. There's been a time or three when he got cold at night, so he just crawled right over into my hammock w/o putting on his shoes or anything. Pretty convenient.

I also generally use a CCF pad for him. Mainly it's a safety thing, I guess...if we happen to get separated, I'm not confident he can set up a hammock correctly but I'm pretty sure he can throw down a pad and pull out his sleeping bag. And if he gets wet or accidentally gets his gear wet, as kids are known to do, the pad is much more forgiving. Haven't had any problems yet, though...might graduate him up to an insulated hammock soon!

And like everything else, test at home. Get her comfortable in the hammock when she's just playing around at home, then let her take a nap in it, and maybe spend the night in the backyard with you. Then when you go hiking, it'll still be an adventure but not something completely foreign to her.

That's about it for now. If y'all want to discuss this more I'll split it into it's own thread.

hangnout
01-30-2007, 00:30
Thanks for the input. Lots of good tips .She likes playing in the tent so the JRB hammock tent I saw in the pics from Mt. Rogers could solve the problem.

Tango61
01-30-2007, 01:35
You guys are amazing. Wish I could have made it but way too far from BigD.
Maybe we can plan one for around here. I'll be heading down to Davy Crockett Nat.Forest at the end of February, so I'll get to try some new things there.

Jeff, do you have any links on the descending rings? Either on your website or elsewhere. I'd be interested to try these. I'm also looking at getting some of the buckles like on the CC's.

T

blackbishop351
01-30-2007, 01:48
I'm also looking at getting some of the buckles like on the CC's.

T

I've got some pix of the CC-type buckles I'm using in my gallery if you haven't seen them already. I basically did the same thing Jeff did, but I used my suspension cord and a prusik knot to attach to the buckles instead of an extra piece of webbing. The whole system works great so far - you just can't tighten the webbing all the way until you're ready to go to bed. Otherwise the buckles lock up and you can't loosen them without laying in the hammock for a while and creating some sag. Fine for my homemade hammock, but I'm not sure about an HH - I like to pull my ULB pretty tight so I get the bugnet nice and taut.

Just my .02, hope it helps!

Just Jeff
01-30-2007, 01:59
I followed the links from Sgt Rock's forums...I'll search for them later but my connection is acting up at the moment.

I think I like these better than the CC buckles I made b/c they're easier to loosen. I just have to make sure both layers of webbing stay parallel (the layer before it goes through the buckles and the layer after, if that makes sense). If the webbing falls to the side, it slides out enough to reduce the friction on the webbing. I just stuck it back through the loop near the tree, and I think a half-hitch would be plenty to keep it in line if I didn't have that much length.

YMMV.

blackbishop351
01-30-2007, 03:13
Jeff, do you have any links on the descending rings? Either on your website or elsewhere.

Not to jump in front of Jeff or anything, but REI sells two brands of rap rings (descending rings):

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&crumb=%26quot%3Bring%26quot%3B%5E%26query%3Dring%7 EClimbing%5E%26cat%3D4500002&query=ring&cat=4500002&vcat=REI_SEARCH:N

The link there doesn't list the breaking strength on the SMC ring, but I read somewhere (WB or Yahoo hammockcamping maybe?) that someone emailed them and found out it was plenty. The Omega Pacific ring would definitely work - breaking strength ~5000 lbs. - but it's a fair bit heavier. The SMC ring is a bit cheaper and is listed at only 11 grams. Now that I think about it, there may have been someone on the Yahoo group who actually got some of these and used them.

Incidentally, if there's an REI near you (there's one near me now), I've seen both of these rings on the rack in the store.

Just Jeff
01-30-2007, 06:39
28g biners (http://www.amazon.com/C-M-P-USA-Nano-Wire/dp/B000A3WGUO/sr=8-1/qid=1168997981/ref=sr_1_1/102-9390503-1856153?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods) x 2

.4 oz descending ring (http://www.amazon.com/Descending-Ring-by-Seattle-Manufacturing/dp/B0009QAYYC/sr=1-1/qid=1170156844/ref=sr_1_1/105-4484325-0911600?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods) x 4 (I think these are the ones I used...seems like they had more info when I ordered

Total - 3.6 oz plus webbing (according to listed weights)

Plus I get two big biners so it's multi-use if I want it to be, or I could actually go w/o the biners and just pass the webbing through itself, saving 2 oz. But if I use the biners, the whole hammock and suspension is one piece (i.e. I don't have to keep up w/ tree huggers and hammock separately). And it's easier to setup/take down/adjust than the CC ones I made.

Peter_pan
01-30-2007, 07:34
Great report Jeff.... say hi to Joker...

Pan

neo
01-30-2007, 08:15
Friday Night:
Low of 22 F by my Brunton ADC
Crazy high winds...like 50 kts. It sounded like a freight train in the treetops. Our site was pretty sheltered but it was still cold.
Saturday Night:
Low of 14.8 F by my Brunton
The winds weren't as bad so it didn't feel as cold that night, but Sunday morning was much colder than Saturday morning after we got up.
Yeah yeah - I know we said it was -3 on Friday and -6 on Saturday...but I said that was the "agreed upon" temperature...not the measured temperature! I bet it would have been close if we added in the wind chill, though

:D i dont get it:cool: neo

blackbishop351
01-30-2007, 09:01
28g biners (http://www.amazon.com/C-M-P-USA-Nano-Wire/dp/B000A3WGUO/sr=8-1/qid=1168997981/ref=sr_1_1/102-9390503-1856153?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods) x 2

.4 oz descending ring (http://www.amazon.com/Descending-Ring-by-Seattle-Manufacturing/dp/B0009QAYYC/sr=1-1/qid=1170156844/ref=sr_1_1/105-4484325-0911600?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods) x 4 (I think these are the ones I used...seems like they had more info when I ordered

Total - 3.6 oz plus webbing (according to listed weights)

Plus I get two big biners so it's multi-use if I want it to be, or I could actually go w/o the biners and just pass the webbing through itself, saving 2 oz. But if I use the biners, the whole hammock and suspension is one piece (i.e. I don't have to keep up w/ tree huggers and hammock separately). And it's easier to setup/take down/adjust than the CC ones I made.

Y'know....I think I remember saying something like this myself, once....

and there was always this voice on the other end of the computer wire saying 'but I don't hike with biners'.... :eek: I wonder who that could've been?

Certain
01-30-2007, 09:23
:mad: :mad: :mad:

I can't believe I had to move this weekend! :mad: :mad: :mad:

It was snowing and the high was 23, so I was with you all in spirit!! :rolleyes:

I haven't seen anything posted by Hammock Engineer yet, but am REALLY HOPING (hint hint) we can hook up before I leave in March so I can get some advice on "properly" attaching my Nest. I'm going to try to get my own cold weather overnight in sometime mid-late February. I found a winter campground not too far from where I live. I just have to go there and make sure they have trees.

I can't wait to look at the pics. So glad you all had fun! Oh...no biggie on not getting video. All things work out in the end (right Hammock Engineer!)

FanaticFringer
01-30-2007, 15:35
Friday Night:
Low of 22 F by my Brunton ADC
Crazy high winds...like 50 kts. It sounded like a freight train in the treetops. Our site was pretty sheltered but it was still cold.
Saturday Night:
Low of 14.8 F by my Brunton
The winds weren't as bad so it didn't feel as cold that night, but Sunday morning was much colder than Saturday morning after we got up.
Yeah yeah - I know we said it was -3 on Friday and -6 on Saturday...but I said that was the "agreed upon" temperature...not the measured temperature! I bet it would have been close if we added in the wind chill, though

:D i dont get it:cool: neo

Your record is safe Neo.:D
Although I'm going to try and beat it soon.:eek: :eek:

Just Jeff
01-30-2007, 15:44
and there was always this voice on the other end of the computer wire saying 'but I don't hike with biners'.... :eek: I wonder who that could've been?

Hehe - and I didn't hike with biners! I might start now, though. It's so convenient being able to set up that fast...might be worth an extra <2oz in the pack.

blackbishop351
01-30-2007, 15:54
Hehe - and I didn't hike with biners! I might start now, though. It's so convenient being able to set up that fast...might be worth an extra <2oz in the pack.

:D See? Even those of us who don't dwell on Mount Hammock Olympus have good ideas sometimes...

Just Jeff
01-30-2007, 15:59
I hope Mt Hammock Olympus has trees, 'cause I've never been there!

Everybody has good ideas...some ideas just have more challenges to overcome than others. Actually, I'm amazed at some of the ideas that come from websites like this one, WB, hikinghq, etc.

I did notice that the biner was touching the tree, though...could cause some damage if I'm not careful. Maybe wrapping the webbing 2-3x around the biner when I clip it in will create enough friction to keep it from slipping and still keep the biner from denting the tree.

blackbishop351
01-30-2007, 16:04
I think it'd only cause damage on a really soft-barked tree, which I tend to avoid whenever possible anyway.

I don't imagine that it'd be any worse than the larkshead-type 'constrictor' I have on my buckles - pretty much your setup, just without the biner. I've hung on several different types of trees with my buckles now, including some softer pines, and haven't noticed any damage. If anything, I think the 'constrictor' might spread the force out more evenly around the circumference of the tree, rather than concentrating it all on the backside.

Egads
01-30-2007, 18:10
This question is directed to Smee, Pan, & Jeff,

What was the most common underquilt set up problem that you saw?

I've heard of someone using 2 underquilts and still is cold at 20*, & I've heard some say they are good to the high teens with one underquilt.

Thanks,
Egads

Just Jeff
01-30-2007, 19:40
Part of that is just how warm or cold people sleep. I don't think there's any way I could be comfortable with a single JRB Nest or NS into the teens...I just sleep colder than that.

But setup problems are generally either people pulling it too tight so it compresses under the butt, or hanging it too loose so there's an air gap under the legs. Finding the exact fit is different for each person and each hammock model, but it generally only takes a few hangs to get your fit down.

But at Rogers? I don't think anyone had underquilt problems...the Jacks were there to help setup their quilts on everyone's hammocks! There were a few KAQs too, but I didn't hear of anyone having underquilt problems. Actually, the only issue I heard of was Doctari changing his site, but that wasn't a gear problem.

Did anyone have a problem staying warm?

blackbishop351
01-30-2007, 19:46
For all intents and purposes, I stayed toasty both nights. I used a hammock sock and the KAQ that I borrowed from Jeff underneath.

I used a blue Walmart pad Friday night too, but I caught a draft under my knees...my own stupidity, there.

I removed the pad Saturday night (which was actually colder, but less wind) and the draft was gone. My feet never warmed up after an early-morning pee break, but that was my own stupidity again, nothing to do with my setup.

So overall, I was fine into the mid teens with a single underquilt...of course, the sock helps too.

Just Jeff
01-30-2007, 19:55
I think the sock helps a lot in windy conditions...keeps the convective heat loss at the sock rather than at the insulation (assuming the wind isn't blowing the sock right against the insulation). That dead air space is a big deal.

Plus it traps more heat rising from your body than a tarp does.

headchange4u
01-30-2007, 21:49
I stayed warm Friday night and I stayed REALLY warm Saturday night.

Pan came over Friday night and helped me fine-tune my setup. He showed me how adjust the draw cords on each end and explained why they needed to be set at a certain width for proper coverage at the head and foot sections. He also showed me how to move the suspension system up and down and make the small adjustments to really get that perfect fit.

I have been thinking a lot about what component of my system helped me the most in staying warm.

I know my top cover was of immense help on Friday night because it was so windy. It really helped eliminate the wind gusts coming through the hammock and making me cold. I'm sure my tarp also helped to reduce the effects of the high winds.

The JRB double under quilt (Nest and No Sniveller) did a fantastic job of keeping my backside warm. I'm sure Pan's short lesson in tweaking the fit contributed to this.

I used my Western Mountaineering Apache 15 degree bag and a Gossamer Gear wide/long pad inside the hammock. The Gossamer Gear pad needs to be trimmed to fit the hammock better. This is a really big pad and tends to wrinkle easily and the corners tend to kinda curl up.

I also used my WM bag as a top quilt for the first time Saturday night. I think this is one reason I was so hot that night. I woke up with a small puddle of sweat that had gathered at the lowest point of the GG pad and I ended up ditching it about 3 a.m.

I don't know why I have never tried my sleeping bag in top quilt mode, with the last 1-2 zipped up to form a foot bag. It fills the inside of the hammock with the bag and it's a hell of a lot easier getting in and out.

I now realize that it was the combination of all the components of my hammock system that allowed me to have such a comfortable night. When I think back I honestly thought that I was going to be cold, but I slept much warmer than I imagined I could at those temps.

My only semi-regret about the whole trip was missing Pan's under quilt demo on Saturday and not taking more time to do some in-depth inspection everyone else's setup. The scenery was just so beautiful I had to go for a hike! I also really wanted to try and see the ponies and I'm glad I got to do that.

slowhike
01-30-2007, 22:27
yeah headchange, whenever i come back from one of these trips w/ other hammockers, i always think later about questions i wish i had asked & details i wish i had taken the time to look at on other peoples set-ups.
but when i'm there i just tend to mostly sit back & be absorbent<g>.

Just Jeff
01-30-2007, 22:29
Yeah - I enjoy just sitting there listening to all the side conversations. And talking a fair bit myself, obviously... :D

Bird Dog
01-30-2007, 22:30
i used a nest as an uq and a ns as a top quilt with weathershield top and bottom...started off sweating at around 9pm...stripped my wind shirt...got cool at 11 put windshirt back on over silk weight top and bottoms...toasty rest of the night. again, thx to pan and smee for the fit classes..BD

The Breeze
01-30-2007, 22:36
I used a kaq and a silver heat blanket and a pad inside sleep to hot had to loose some cloths stock tarp so foothills trail i come :D

slowhike
01-30-2007, 22:59
hey jeff... you gotta tell the ones that weren't there what the little joker was saying to you as you were going to mt rogers... picking at his dad about telling the others what you do in your spare time<G>.

Just Jeff
01-31-2007, 07:36
Haha - we were getting out at Taco Bell on the drive up and he says, "I'm gonna tell everybody that you SEW! I'm gonna tell them all you're a hammock freak and all you do is talk about hammocks! I'm gonna tell them you talk to people you don't know on the internet about hammocking!"

Um...go ahead, kid. Guess who's coming to dinner? :D

stoikurt
01-31-2007, 08:43
Haha, that's too funny. Little did he know...

I'm amazed that you could get your young son to go with you in such weather..and have a good time. That's really cool. Of course I remember when mine were youner and in scouts they were my ticket to get out.:D

headchange4u
01-31-2007, 08:44
Haha - we were getting out at Taco Bell on the drive up and he says, "I'm gonna tell everybody that you SEW! I'm gonna tell them all you're a hammock freak and all you do is talk about hammocks! I'm gonna tell them you talk to people you don't know on the internet about hammocking!"

That's hilarious.

Bird Dog
01-31-2007, 14:33

SEWER! :D BD

Just Jeff
01-31-2007, 14:36
Like where the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live?!

Bird Dog
01-31-2007, 14:38
Like where the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles live?!

As soon as I hit "submit" I knew I was going to hear about that one again. So..........HAMMOCK FREAK! :D BD

Perkolady
01-31-2007, 14:49
It's been really great reading everyones posts about the trip, except that now I feel even more jealous ! :(

I'm SOOO glad you all had a good time and were able to keep warm !
I was watching the weather for you all while you were there and I was hoping you all would !

Jeff- that's hilarious about what your son said ! :D

I may try to make it to Neo's TN get together- miraculously, even the husband and kids are interested, and I best not let a miracle like that pass me by ! :)

My husband offered to barbeque !!

Glad you're all back safe.
Perkolady

stoikurt
01-31-2007, 15:26
So Jeff,
What does your son think now that, I'm sure, he's found out that many of your friends that you may have never met but talk to on the internet, also sew? Is his dad still a FREAK!?...camping out with a bunch of other FREAKS!:eek: :D

peanuts
02-01-2007, 17:34
oh my!!! i am sooo soooo jealous. glad you had a good time. wish i was there that is my kind of weather. i miss the cold snow things...maybe next time!!(need to get a new van :()

Doctari
02-07-2007, 16:33
What gear were you guys using? That must of been one cold night!

Yea, what gear were we all using?

I'll start, even tho I'm still a newby:

Hammock: SG "Skeeter beeter" camo hammock. I sewed a piece of mosquito netting to the underside for summer use as I have been bitten by the little buggers through my (now retired but heavier material) Bayer.

Hammock supports: 3/4" nylon webbing 26' long, I hang somewhere in the middle w each end tied to the trees.

Underquilt: not really a quilt, just a piece of Fleece hung to my hammock by stretchy cords.

Other under insulation: Truck sun screen (reflective) w 1/16" cc foam taped to it (very redneck, I used camo duct tape) under a standard CC foam pad w 2" wings (duct taped) on each side. This set up worked, I stayed mostly warm, BUT I would not reccomend using pads, very very limited area that is comfy/warm. And if you move, off the pads you go. I'm getting an underquilt as soon as I can!!!

Over quilt: my OLD 30 degree sleeping bag used as a quilt. This too worked, bear in mind that I bought this synthetic bag in 1990, then it was rated at 30deg, it has many many miles on it since then. last year on my last tent caming trip it failed to keep me warm at 40 (wearing kilt, WB tee shirt, wool socks, & poly long johns shirt).

Tarp: SG camo 9' X 9' tarp, aluminum stakes, all held in place w provided nylon cord.

Clothing @ night: WB tee, 2 cotton sweat shirts (yea, I know) 1 synthetic sweater vest, wool (army surplus) long sleeve shirt, poly long johns pants, cotton work pants, 2 pair wool socks, wool knit cap, wool fingerless gloves, cotton work gloves. yep, I was wearing alot of cotton, some of my other non cotton stuff had shrunk, well that's my story & I'm sticking to it!

Changes I would like to make: Want a sil nylon tarp, am thinking of getting a McKat for summer, one of the new (yet to be introduced) tarps from JRB for the cold weather campouts. Under quilt that is actually an underquilt. A actual overquilt, maybe a Ray Way quilt. I want to change the ridgeline / supports to Spectra cord or something similar. For cold weather use, specially if I don't get one of the new JRB tarps, I plan on making a hammock sock. I want snake skins, for both the tarp & the hammock.
I'm keeping the hammock as is, may add a zipper (or omni tape) to the opposite side of the mosquito netting so I can access both sides of my hammock from inside.

slowhike
02-07-2007, 18:27
doc... that 3/4" webbing would concern me. i've broken the 1" stuff... but then maybe it was just because it was from wal-mart<g>

headchange4u
02-07-2007, 20:16
I used a Hennessy Hammock Ulrta Light Backpacker Asym with my JRB No Sniveller and Nest as a double underquilt, my DIY top cover, Western Mountaineering 15 degree bag, Gossamer Gear wide/long pad, and my DIY cat cut tarp.

Friday night I slept in fleece socks, mid-weight poly/wool thermals and a fleece hat. Saturday night I switched to the micro fleece thermal top and bottom.

Just Jeff
02-07-2007, 20:28
I used a homemade hammock, Exped Downmat 7, SD Wicked Fast (30 F bag) and JRB No Sniveler on top. I had a 1/4" CCF pad that was about 50" long in there, but it just kinda sat on the side of the hammock and didn't really add a lot. Saturday night I used it on the side for some extra wing protection, but I didn't really need it. Friday night I approached the lower limit of the Exped because of all the wind...maybe if I had the TravelPod it would have gone a lot lower.

Joker used the DownHammock, a 15F Big Agnes kid's bag with a cut-down CCF pad inside, and the TravelPod.

The MacCat Standard covered us both...plenty of protection from the icy snow that fell Saturday night.

We were both so warm that we went skinny dipping at about 3am, right after I dunked my quilt in the ice water. :D

slowhike
02-07-2007, 20:44
i used a home made synthetic insulated hammock.
on each end was a sil end cover. i had a dwr under shield underneath that was sewn to the end covers on each end, protecting the bottom & sides of the insulated hammock.
inside the hammock was an exped DAM on top of a full length ccf pad from gossamer gear, held together by an SPE. but i didn't use the wings.
ray way quilt w/ alpine up-grade on top. it's not as lofty as it used to be (less than 1.5") but it did ok.
i also wore quite a bit of my insulating clothes.
home made sil tarp over head.

Doctari
02-07-2007, 21:07
doc... that 3/4" webbing would concern me. i've broken the 1" stuff... but then maybe it was just because it was from wal-mart<g>

I supose I should have said 3/4 inch climbers webbing. Rated at 2300 Lbs, I strongly suspect that my 200+ Lbs would have a bit of a struggle to break it :D

You are right tho, webbing from Wally World would likely not support much. This is WAY different stuff.

Thanks for the concern.

Doctari.

blackbishop351
02-07-2007, 22:21
Here was my setup (I think I may have posted this before, but :p ):

Hammock - homemade Speer-type. 50" wide by 10' long for those who care. Ed Speer's 1" poly webbing and CC-type buckles for suspension. Stock HH spectra cordage for support ties to the buckles. Ridgeline cordage from Annapolis Performance Sailing.

Tarp - homemade BlackCat. 12' long at the ridge, 11' wide at the widest point.

Bottom insulation - Jeff's KAQ both nights. 1/2" blue CCF pad (full length) Friday night, but I didn't need it.

Top insulation - Marmot Trestles 15 (15* rating) synthetic bag Friday night (OVERKILL!). JRB No Sniveler Saturday night. Nice and toasty there, too.

Clothing - Inside out, cotton longjohns and cotton long-sleeve t-shirt, then homemade fleece pants (from a Walmart fleece sleeping bag) and cotton knit (sweater-like) pullover, then MI BDUs (woodland camo because I know it matters to Neo :p ) and Columbia fleece jacket. I ended up losing the jacket about halfway through the night. Mountain Hardwear windstopper Polartech fleece hat. That was Friday night.

Saturday night was the same, except no jacket and I subbed my homemade synthetic insulated pants for my BDUs. I fully unzipped both legs of the pants as soon as I got in the hammock because I could already tell I'd be too hot. I would've taken them off, but I didn't want to go through a huge hassle to take a pee break later.

I also used a fully closed 1.1 oz. DWR hammock sock that I made using Jeff's directions. And a homemade fleece-lined sil stuff sack/pillow to keep my head/neck warm.

Just Jeff
02-07-2007, 23:31
Top insulation - Marmot Trestles 15 (15* rating) synthetic bag Friday night (OVERKILL!). JRB No Sniveler Saturday night. Nice and toasty there, too.

After using a full 15F bag, didn't it feel awkward that some so light and less bulky could keep you warm? Like sleeping under a cloud...I had my doubts the first time I used the JRB but it quickly convinced me.

Coffee
02-07-2007, 23:55
Reading through the last couple of posts I find it interesting that everyone is using bags way below their rating. I used my 20 deg bag on my last test. It seams like everyone is using bags/quilts 20-30+ degrees below their rating with their full hammock setups. I don't think the ground pounders can say that.

I guess that says alot about the heat trapped by everyone's pod/sock and tarp. Along with the heat generated from the bottom insulation.

Just Jeff
02-07-2007, 23:57
The pods make a big difference, but most of us were also wearing several layers of clothing.

Coffee
02-07-2007, 23:59
The pods make a big difference, but most of us were also wearing several layers of clothing.

Good point. Still though part of your hiking kit.

I sleep a little colder than most. I only has on VB socks, smartwool socks, smartwool mid weight top/bottom, and windproof fleece hat for my little test.

Ewker
02-08-2007, 00:02
Reading through the last couple of posts I find it interesting that everyone is using bags way below their rating. I used my 20 deg bag on my last test. It seams like everyone is using bags/quilts 20-30+ degrees below their rating with their full hammock setups. I don't think the ground pounders can say that.

I guess that says alot about the heat trapped by everyone's pod/sock and tarp. Along with the heat generated from the bottom insulation.

big difference I don't have a lot of clothes on like the most of you do. Wearing a lot of clothes to sleep in is to confining IMO.
Last Friday night when it was 8&#176; all I had on was some polypro tops and bottoms nothing else not even a hat. Sleeping bag was rated at 15&#176;

Coffee
02-08-2007, 00:05
big difference I don't have a lot of clothes on like the most of you do. Wearing a lot of clothes to sleep in is to confining IMO

Sorry for the ground pounder comment. Just a little fun.;)

I'm with you on the clothes.

Out of curiousity, what is your setup for those conditions? If I head out west I am going to have to come up with a ground setup.

Ewker
02-08-2007, 00:09
see above edited post for what I slept in. I only got chilled when the body was trying to keep the bladder warm :(

Ewker
02-08-2007, 00:12
when it is cold I take my Henry Shire tarptent (Squall) 2 lbs, a 15° down bag 1.5 lbs, polypros to sleep in 8 oz, Insul mat max pad 22 oz.

blackbishop351
02-08-2007, 00:43
When I first started cold-weather camping, I found the clothing to be confining, too - but I got used to it. The biggest advantage as far as I'm concerned is that if you wear most of your clothes to bed, it doesn't take you 20 minutes to take a leak in the middle of the night :p That way I don't have to wake up all the way and can consequently go right back to sleep.

On the other hand, I haven't worn much clothing at all while testing my new quilt prototype. I did this for two reasons: it lets me get an idea of the 'real' temp limitations of the quilt, and it allows me to fully feel any (even slight) cold spots while trying to adjust the fit. I've noticed during these tests that wearing less clothing DOES warm up your insulation quicker, which is kind of nice. I think the pee advantage still wins, though :p

blackbishop351
02-08-2007, 00:45
when it is cold I take my Henry Shire tarptent (Squall) 2 lbs, a 15° down bag 1.5 lbs, polypros to sleep in 8 oz, Insul mat max pad 22 oz.

If I ever ran into a need to go to ground again from the outset of a trip - I could only see this happening if I KNEW there'd be WAY subzero temps - I'd use the MSR Microzoid I picked up from WB a while back. Really small, pretty bombproof. Ideal for seriously cold and possibly snowy/icy conditions. But that's a really extreme what-if.

Coffee
02-08-2007, 01:20
.....I'm concerned is that if you wear most of your clothes to bed, it doesn't take you 20 minutes to take a leak in the middle of the night :p That way I don't have to wake up all the way and can consequently go right back to sleep.

....I think the pee advantage still wins, though :p

Not a concern with me. Any gear on the ground goes to hammock left. Middle of the night nature calls are handled hammock right. No need to worry about getting out of the hammock.:)

This took a little practice. I deadicated a side after I sat on the wrong side so to speak the following morning.:(

Doctari
02-08-2007, 08:53

I think Pan explained it best, at least to me, (I hope Im Quoting him correctly) "using a sleeping bag as a quilt allows it to have more folds, the folds add loft, loft is warmth." Yes I had on extra clothing, but I do believe that Pan explained why I could use a very old 30 degree Sleeping bag down to 22o or colder if you factor in the wind chill. I'm guessing my bag is now a 40o or warmer bag cause I was cold at that temp the last time I used it as a sleeping bag.

Doctari.

Coffee
02-08-2007, 12:08
Thanks for sharing. I have often thought that about using a sleeping bag as a quilt. Nice to see the people that know quilts sheding some light on it for me.

slowhike
02-08-2007, 20:39
hey jeff... i thought we had a camp out forum... did we loose some forums in the shuffle?
BTW.. i like the new colors<g>.

Just Jeff
02-08-2007, 21:55
Hrm...did troll ever add a campouts forum? I know he added a campouts folder in the picture gallery. I guess we could add one soon, though.

slowhike
02-08-2007, 22:24
Hrm...did troll ever add a campouts forum? I know he added a campouts folder in the picture gallery. I guess we could add one soon, though.

maybe that's what i was thinking about.
but what happened to the non-hammock forums?

Just Jeff
02-08-2007, 22:28
Subscription-based now. User CP from top menu, then Group Memberships, then click on the ones you want to join.

slowhike
02-08-2007, 22:29
well after that post i went to the forums & there is a non-hammock DIY forum... but i didn't think it was there earlier??? ...but i thought there was another new one?
oh well... never mind... i'm tired & confused:confused:
maybe attroll is working on changes.

Just Jeff
02-08-2007, 22:38
The non-hammock DIY will be going away soon...it's part of the "non-hammock gear" forum now but we just haven't deleted the old one yet. I've already moved the threads over, though.

The non-hammock gear and humor forums are subscriptions now, as described above.

Doctari
02-12-2007, 04:17
I finally got around to cleaning out my car after the trip. My thought being to eat some of the Ballpark brand (like the hotdogs) Chili, Um, well, , , I seemed to have grabbed the hot dogs instead of the chili :rolleyes:

What I think happened: Sunday AM, while not quite awake, I remembered that I had to lug out all the stuff I brought. So I went to the shelter to get the packets of chili, Opened the first plastic bag I saw, the stuff inside said "ballpark" & was about the right weight, sooooo,,,.

I'm sorry to whoever took out the chili, and for my taking the hot dogs. I so thought I had grabbed the chili, that I was planning on eating it yesterday at work. Silly me.

It just now occured to me that I forgot to grab the paper towels. This senile thing is frustrating.

Doctari.

slowhike
02-12-2007, 06:50
I finally got around to cleaning out my car after the trip. My thought being to eat some of the Ballpark brand (like the hotdogs) Chili, Um, well, , , I seemed to have grabbed the hot dogs instead of the chili :rolleyes:

What I think happened: Sunday AM, while not quite awake, I remembered that I had to lug out all the stuff I brought. So I went to the shelter to get the packets of chili, Opened the first plastic bag I saw, the stuff inside said "ballpark" & was about the right weight, sooooo,,,.

I'm sorry to whoever took out the chili, and for my taking the hot dogs. I so thought I had grabbed the chili, that I was planning on eating it yesterday at work. Silly me.

It just now occured to me that I forgot to grab the paper towels. This senile thing is frustrating.

Doctari.

i been meaning to email you & tell you that i owe you for 5 packs of chili, a roll of paper towels, & most of a pack of paper plates.
i'll bet those hot dogs were nice by now:p

blackbishop351
02-12-2007, 13:34
i been meaning to email you & tell you that i owe you for 5 packs of chili, a roll of paper towels, & most of a pack of paper plates.

And Headchange owes you for one large, rattling bag of trash! :p

slowhike
02-12-2007, 20:19
And Headchange owes you for one large, rattling bag of trash! :p

naw... no prob:rolleyes:

Doctari
02-13-2007, 07:04

:p Keep the chili & towels. The paper plates were Headchange's :D Actually, the hot dogs are frozen, still :rolleyes:

Thanks for cleaning up after me. :rolleyes:

Doctari the forgetful.

headchange4u
02-13-2007, 08:33

I wondered who got those plates.:p :D All I ask is that everytime you eat on those plates think of me.:rolleyes: :)

slowhike
02-13-2007, 16:49
I wondered who got those plates.:p :D All I ask is that everytime you eat on those plates think of me.:rolleyes: :)

it's a deal.

Bird Dog
02-22-2007, 21:09
Hope the hotdogs were still good for you to eat Doctari. I hate to see food go to waste. Didnt realize till I got home that Double B grabbed only the hotdog buns and left the hotdogs we brought. No big deal. I guess that 48 of them was a bit of overkill. But, I didnt want to let anyone down and have someone go hungry....Those Brats that HOI brought were delicious.....MMMMMMMM....BRATS....Im getting hungry now. BD

Cannibal
10-22-2007, 10:22
I feel stupid for asking, but I'm kind of used to that.

Where is Mt. Rogers? Is this the one near Damascus? I've read something like 17 jillion posts with no luck; I'm pretty sure I'm just pretending to read at this point.....HELP!

headchange4u
10-22-2007, 10:35
I feel stupid for asking, but I'm kind of used to that.

Where is Mt. Rogers? Is this the one near Damascus? I've read something like 17 jillion posts with no luck; I'm pretty sure I'm just pretending to read at this point.....HELP!

Yes, it's right outside Damascus.

FanaticFringer
10-22-2007, 10:39
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/mr/

I'd like to go but it sure is a long drive. Might need to get a carpool together.

Cannibal
Thanks for the assist hc4u.

Cannibal
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/mr/

I'd like to go but it sure is a long drive.

It will be the last 30 days of my employment; I'm trying to find a way to spend some sick days. :D

peanuts
10-22-2007, 12:01
ff, i was thinking the same thing......carpool...:D