PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Clips with All in one Whoopies

Z0rst
04-06-2012, 10:00
The Dutch Clip was designed to clip a strap back onto itself. If I have an all in one setup were I need to clip onto the Whoopie line rather than the strap, will that be problematic? Has anyone done that for a length of time? Areas that I am thinking about are clip rotation, line fraying over time, and lack of friction to keep the hugger in place on the tree when not under tension.

Z0rst
04-06-2012, 10:24
I think I found the answer on JRB's web site. No, not recommended. And an example of why not @ here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27444

In a nutshell: the concentrated load *may* put too much pressure on the clip.

If there is an update to this thinking, especially for the redesigned clips, please let me know.

Black Wolf
04-06-2012, 11:42
The pic above is the old design .. I used Dutch's clip 16 nights in a row in every configuration .. and am currently using them on my set-up out back of my house .. they've been up a month .. I have yet to have a problem .. and I push my gear to the limits ...

mrcheviot
04-06-2012, 23:36
I've used the clips directly on the whoopie in a pinch (large trees), and felt perfectly safe. Just made sure the whoopie had very little perpendicular pressure on it.

I would think the warning is due to either the edge of the clip (90 degree, meant for webbing), or that under load the whoopie cord has to bear 100% of the elasticity, where as with the cord through a fixed loop the strain is shared.

Would rounding off the corner on one side of the clip matter? You could use it as an "u" w/ webbing (the little claw helps keep webbing quite secure), with the current edge against the webbing. Flip it upside down to a "n" and the rounded edge would be in contact w/ the whoopie. Perhaps even a slight scallop in the edge to further secure the whoopie..

Actually thought of a third reason it's not recommended, and that's the danger that the whoopie would come lose or fall out of the clip while the hammock was unloaded. Again, maybe a scallop would help?

Dutch
04-07-2012, 06:56
Dutch clips are meant for webbing only. Dutch Biners and Whoopie Hooks are meant or Amsteel to Amsteel connection.

MAD777
04-07-2012, 07:53
I'm confused (as usual), are you using straps around the tree?

Z0rst
04-08-2012, 16:51
I'm confused (as usual), are you using straps around the tree?

Yes, straps around the tree.

See the following video:
http://youtu.be/0WThTdaFX_I

And other post:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49729

Basically I was comparing the Dutch clip to a Dutch Whoopie Hook on a chain. , IMO, the Dutch Whoopie Hook on Chain seems to win overall in situational flexibility, pack size, and weight.

angrysparrow
04-08-2012, 17:00
Basically I was comparing the Dutch clip to a Dutch Whoopie clip on a chain (what I've been affectionately calling a universal Dutch clip)

Every single part of that will create confusion. There exist Dutch Clips, Dutch Hooks, Whoopie Hooks, and Dutch Biners and they're all hard enough to keep track of without informal renaming. Just sayin... :cool:

It seems Dutch's product names are coming back to bite.

Z0rst
04-08-2012, 17:51
Sorry. Edited Whoopie Clips to hook and fixed naming convention, and added references. Hope it reads better. My fault not Dutch's. Let me know if more is needed or feel free to delete. Thanks for the feedback.

gunner76
04-08-2012, 18:21
I use several sets of the old style Dutch hooks with out any problems. I am using them with webbing from several different sources and different thickness. I did sew the webbing loop closed as recommended. When Dutch saw me using them at a hang he offered to swap them out for the new version but I declined his offer as I have not had any problems with them.

Z0rst
04-08-2012, 19:39
Yep, Dutch Clips are great for clipping onto webbing. Have the most recent sewn into my 1" and been using them for a long while no problems. I was testing something and have found my answer. I have been using very long straps, but I am switching back to a shorter strap and looking at the all-in-one systems described elsewhere on HF. Part of it was, if the tree is larger than one's strap portion, can one clip directly to an extension or the whoopie? The answer is: not recommended.

BTW- I got looking at my older shorter straps and realized that when I have sewed my Dutch Clips into my loops, I have a space to place the whoopie or an extension through the rest of this loop, probably for this very reason. Having been through tri-glides, buckles, rings, elephant trunks, marlin spikes, and some other hardware, and having the Dutch Clips work so well on the other end of my longer straps, I guess I just plain forgot.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the answers and feedback.