PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Stoves at Mt Rogers?

Miguel
01-29-2007, 08:03
I noticed in one of the MT. Rogers photos what appears to be "alcohol stoves". I just built my first "cat stove" from a tuna can this weekend and it worked great even in the New York weather. I'm afraid I've gotten the stove building bug and plan on making a few different types to see which one works the best. I love the simplicity of it all....not unlike hanging.

I've attempted to attach the photo from the Mt Rogers trip but I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I first downloaded to my computer and then uploaded it to this site using the "attach files" under "additional options". I'm not sure how to place it in the actual message. I'll give it a try and see what happens.:confused:

It sounds/looks like you guys had an awesome weekend....really enjoying the pics. I'll be retired in June and hope you join you all in future hangouts.

Miguel

Doctari
01-29-2007, 09:12
There were at least 3 Alcohol stoves in use, mine included. No problems: getting them to light, getting them to stay lit, heating water / food. I used 1/3 Oz more fuel than I usually do, not sure if I actually needed to, I just did. Usually I use 1 Oz, I used 1.33 oz due to the cold. I had hot food both meals that I cooked.

Doctari.

neo
01-29-2007, 11:22
:D any jetboils there:cool: neo

blackbishop351
01-29-2007, 11:24
Yup, there were three Jetboils - mine, Top's, and Jeff's. There was also one other cannister stove and an esbit.

I guess I thought there were more than just a couple alcohol stoves, because I kind of assumed everyone else was using them...

neo
01-29-2007, 11:27
Yup, there were three Jetboils - mine, Top's, and Jeff's. There was also one other cannister stove and an esbit.

I guess I thought there were more than just a couple alcohol stoves, because I kind of assumed everyone else was using them...

i love mine,i have the optional camo cozy,i stay at the president of jetboils house in oct 2005 while hiking thru hanover:cool: neo

how did they perform below zero

blackbishop351
01-29-2007, 11:38
Mine did great, but I did preheat my canister by sleeping with it the night before or sticking it in my jacket for a few minutes before cooking...then again, that's pretty much any canister.

By the way, I think we're supposed to stay away from non-hammock topics like stoves on this forum. At least that's the idea I got from what Jeff said on another stove thread.

headchange4u
01-29-2007, 12:26
I used a Brasslite Turbo II D and it worked great.

Miguel
01-29-2007, 16:02
Mine did great, but I did preheat my canister by sleeping with it the night before or sticking it in my jacket for a few minutes before cooking...then again, that's pretty much any canister.

By the way, I think we're supposed to stay away from non-hammock topics like stoves on this forum. At least that's the idea I got from what Jeff said on another stove thread.

I didn't know we weren't to be talking about other topics. I assumed that what we cook on is just part of the hammocking experience and others would like to know. I guess I'll wrap it up by saying that I built one of James Wood's Super Cat stoves out of a Tuna Fish can and was flabergasted how easy it was to make and how well it works. I just boiled about ten ounces of water, out in the open, in a snowstorm, without a wind screen. I don't know how hard the wind was blowing but suffice it to say it was coming down sideways! The temps were in the low 20s. It never went out. I was impressed to say the least. No priming...now wicking and nothing to fail. You just drilla few holes and light....my kind of stove!

Miguel

blackbishop351
01-29-2007, 16:08
I didn't know we weren't to be talking about other topics. I assumed that what we cook on is just part of the hammocking experience and others would like to know.

I think the idea is to keep this forum very specific to hammocking, while leaving the other aspects of trail life to Whiteblaze, Hiking HQ, etc. Those are great sites and great resources, and we don't want to move any of the general discussions away from them. We just want a nice place to compile all of the hammocking talk that was sometimes getting lost on those other sites - and voila! Here we have it!

Miguel
01-29-2007, 16:28
I think the idea is to keep this forum very specific to hammocking, while leaving the other aspects of trail life to Whiteblaze, Hiking HQ, etc. Those are great sites and great resources, and we don't want to move any of the general discussions away from them. We just want a nice place to compile all of the hammocking talk that was sometimes getting lost on those other sites - and voila! Here we have it!

Within the last few minutes I've read topics ranging from , poison ivy, nightmares to custody battles! Exactly where do we draw the line....or should there really be one. It's feeling a little stuffy in here.

Miguel

blackbishop351
01-29-2007, 16:32
Within the last few minutes I've read topics ranging from , poison ivy, nightmares to custody battles! Exactly where do we draw the line....or should there really be one. It's feeling a little stuffy in here.

Miguel

Don't look at me, man...ask Jeff or Troll. I do agree, though, that cooking and related topics aren't specifically related to hanging. I can always hop onto another forum - which are really better suited to those types of discussions - if I want new ideas in that vein. If we start using this board to talk about anything and everything, it'll get just as cluttered as WB can be - and the clean hammocking threads here are one of the big reasons I like this site so much.

Ewker
01-29-2007, 16:50

Miguel

your right. I can understand they wouldn't want anyone to talk about tenting when it is a hammock forum. But your talking about the outdoors. Gear is part of that. Even the DIY thread talks about making stuff sacks...do you stop that also

You can only say so much about a top/bottom quilt, tarp or a hammock without it being repeated over and over unless you still have no idea what they are talking about

blackbishop351
01-29-2007, 16:59
I'm not trying to debate anything here. I'm just a member like anybody else. My original comment referenced a post by Just Jeff, a moderator, specific to a stove discussion:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=473

Miguel
01-29-2007, 17:08
I'm not trying to point fingers, offend anyone or even be cranky but if you really look through many of the threads you'll have to admit that many of them stray way farther off base than what we use to cook our food on while "hammock" camping. I agree with you for the most part but I really thought this related pretty closely. Maybe we'll hear from Jeff. and/or others on this topic. (or maybe we're not allowed to talk about it since it's really not about hammocking) (just kidding...but you see my point)

Miguel

blackbishop351
01-29-2007, 17:10
I do see your point. Like you said, it's really up to Jeff and Troll as to how things are run - I really only commented in the first place because I posted about my stove and then realized that maybe I shouldn't have :p

Peter_pan
01-29-2007, 18:43
As I am often the voice of dissent...let me wade in, again.... We (some of us) asked for this forum... now we are gellin.... forming a community .... it is natural to discuss other subjects with ones friends rather than have to bail to the "ground club" elsewhere.... Like how does food relate to WB more than HF??? ....Hiking poles have to hold up hammock tarps too....First aid for splinting a broken arm from a hammock fall is the same for any old broken arm... You get the point.

Not to criticize the guidance.... but changing forums to talk to those one shares common air space is less than ideal.... it is also part of the illogic I once spoke of when the question of separate forum site for hammocks was first proposed.... vs the status quo of a forum within WB...

For me, I vote we create subforums and hang full circle together ....or... fold back into WB as The Hammock Forum.

Perhaps this subject really does deserve a bit of thought and discussion.

Pan

neo
01-29-2007, 18:47
As I am often the voice of dissent...let me wade in, again.... We (some of us) asked for this forum... now we are gellin.... forming a community .... it is natural to discuss other subjects with ones friends rather than have to bail to the "ground club" elsewhere.... Like how does food relate to WB more than HF??? ....Hiking poles have to hold up hammock tarps too....First aid for splinting a broken arm from a hammock fall is the same for any old broken arm... You get the point.

Not to criticize the guidance.... but changing forums to talk to those one shares common air space is less than ideal.... it is also part of the illogic I once spoke of when the question of separate forum site for hammocks was first proposed.... vs the status quo of a forum within WB...

For me, I vote we create subforums and hang full circle together ....or... fold back into WB as The Hammock Forum.

Pan

:) sounds good to me jack:cool: neo

neo
01-29-2007, 18:49

Pan

:) thats right jack,like sitting in my hammock under my tarp and freezer cooking with my jetboil :cool: neo

Coffee
01-29-2007, 19:37
your right. I can understand they wouldn't want anyone to talk about tenting when it is a hammock forum. But your talking about the outdoors. Gear is part of that. Even the DIY thread talks about making stuff sacks...do you stop that also

You can only say so much about a top/bottom quilt, tarp or a hammock without it being repeated over and over unless you still have no idea what they are talking about

I see this end of this. There is only so much you can talk about. There would be a Bell curve in terms of use and number of threads and posts. At first there whould not be a lot of posts while the forum was growing in members, then there would be a large amount of posts after a certain amount of members joined, then after that there would not be that many new threads after everything would already to talked about.

I think this forum does fill a large void and need in terms of hammocking and the internet. I can also see it turning into another WB (not intended to be an insult towards WB) where there seems to be as many non-hiking threads as there are hiking threads.

I think the bar has been raised through this forum in terms of hammocking and especially DIY hammock gear. I think the hammock forum in WB is getting about the same amount of use it did before. I think that without this site a lot of the projects or descussions hear probibly would not have taken place elsewear.

I think it goes along with what was said. You develop friendships with the people you talk to a lot and want to get their opinions of other subjects. I think there could really be some middle ground here. I don't know where it is exactly.

Miguel
01-29-2007, 20:49
I think the difference between this forum and Whiteblaze is that just about everyone that posts here has the common bond of hammock hanging....regardless of what we're discussing. This forum could be talking the flight of the bumblebees and it would never turn into a Whitebaze. Whiteblaze caters to a much more expansive audience. When it's all said and done we'll still be hammock hangers and the focus will always return to and revolve around hammocking. I think if it's related to hammocking and supports the hammocking way of life then it ought to be good to go. Just my humble opinion.

Miguel

The Breeze
01-29-2007, 21:53
I think the difference between this forum and Whiteblaze is that just about everyone that posts here has the common bond of hammock hanging....regardless of what we're discussing. This forum could be talking the flight of the bumblebees and it would never turn into a Whitebaze. Whiteblaze caters to a much more expansive audience. When it's all said and done we'll still be hammock hangers and the focus will always return to and revolve around hammocking. I think if it's related to hammocking and supports the hammocking way of life then it ought to be good to go. Just my humble opinion.

Miguel

second that:cool:

cargousa
01-29-2007, 21:56
So I was laying in my hammock wondering what the ratio of alcohol stoves to Jet Boils was at the Mt Rogers campout.....:D

--cargo

hangnout
01-29-2007, 22:07
;) So I was laying in my hammock wondering if alcohol had thinned anyones blood at the Mt Rogers campout ......:D They could get credit for a couple degrees lower if alcohol was consumed :D I'm just jealous I wasn't there

blackbishop351
01-29-2007, 22:19
;) So I was laying in my hammock wondering if alcohol had thinned anyones blood at the Mt Rogers campout ......:D They could get credit for a couple degrees lower if alcohol was consumed :D I'm just jealous I wasn't there

LOL not that I noticed...although after Friday night, I kinda wished I'd brought a flask of Jack or something... :p

FanaticFringer
01-29-2007, 22:29
second that:cool:

Third that.

blackbishop351
01-29-2007, 22:47
Look - I agree with a lot of what's being said. At the same time, I hate the clutter that junks up WB so much of the time, and I don't want to see this site go that way. I love this setup too much.

Apart from anything else, try to consider that Jeff and Troll made this forum because WE requested it. And whatever guidelines they set are because they want it to be a good place for US to talk about hammocking. I said what I said about non-hammock topics because I know they're both very busy and I didn't want to make more work for them since they're nice enough to provide US with this forum.

I'm honestly getting a little irritated at the sarcastic posts that are springing up all over the place. And the comments that I somehow 'hijacked' this thread. I love this place as much as anybody. If nothing else, I've been more of a proponent of moving topics here than most people. So lay off, OK guys? I thought I screwed up by straying off-topic and I tried to make up for it. End of story.

hangnout
01-29-2007, 23:15
LOL not that I noticed...although after Friday night, I kinda wished I'd brought a flask of Jack or something...

Sounds like its time to break out the flask, Can I have some? I enjoy my hammock and it is the center piece of my outfit but it is only part of the picture. My pack, stove, clothing etc compliment my hammock and I would like to discuss this on one site with people that understand using a hammock. I think everyone was wondering where the line was and your post just renewed the discussion. I think it is a bigger picture item for this site not directed at you. I was fine with the Whiteblaze site even though I am not an AT hiker because it did bring more input from non hammock sources. Nothing like a ground dweller to point out a problem with your setup:)

Just Jeff
01-29-2007, 23:46
I thought I was pretty clear that stoves were off topic for this site. It's not a hiking site, it's a hammocking site. Gear that's directly related to hammocks, to using hammocks, or that directly affects how you use your hammock is on topic. Anything else is not. Thus, asking what trekking pole works for setting up a hammock on the ground is still primarily about hammocks.

If you want to say "I used an alcohol stove to heat a water bottle to stay warm in my hammock," that's fine. If someone follows up that post with "What kind of stove did you use and how long did it take the water to boil?" then that should go to a PM.

A good natured jab here and there is fine, even if it's a bit off topic...as long as the thread remains primarily about hammocks. I don't want to be a stickler about every single post...that's too stuffy for most of us...but it's the intent to keep the forum on topic that I care about.

If you're still unclear about what's appropriate, please PM me instead of shooting random "It's not fair!" comments into the other threads.

Now can't we all just get along? :) And if you're still pissy then I'll buy the beer at the next campout. :D

blackbishop351
01-29-2007, 23:58
Now can't we all just get along? :) And if you're still pissy then I'll buy the beer at the next campout. :D

I think I might have to be pissy before the next campout, in that case :p

Miguel
01-30-2007, 10:14
I thought I was pretty clear that stoves were off topic for this site. It's not a hiking site, it's a hammocking site. Gear that's directly related to hammocks, to using hammocks, or that directly affects how you use your hammock is on topic. Anything else is not. Thus, asking what trekking pole works for setting up a hammock on the ground is still primarily about hammocks.

If you want to say "I used an alcohol stove to heat a water bottle to stay warm in my hammock," that's fine. If someone follows up that post with "What kind of stove did you use and how long did it take the water to boil?" then that should go to a PM.

A good natured jab here and there is fine, even if it's a bit off topic...as long as the thread remains primarily about hammocks. I don't want to be a stickler about every single post...that's too stuffy for most of us...but it's the intent to keep the forum on topic that I care about.

If you're still unclear about what's appropriate, please PM me instead of shooting random "It's not fair!" comments into the other threads.

Now can't we all just get along? :) And if you're still pissy then I'll buy the
beer at the next campout. :D

I'll bring a big mug because I have to admit I'm still feeling a wee bit prissy right about now. So let me see if I have this straight.....in essence you can stray off topic as long as you are creative and relate it directly back to hammocking. That should be fun!:)

I guess I can't quite understand why this post about stoves has been singled out when thread topics such as...."coffee table book idea"....."poison ivy vs stealth camping"....or "great weather site" are deemed appropriate. I didn't bother looking back further than the initial page.

This is your site Jeff so I guess that makes you the boss. I'll try to stay within the (in my opinion) somewhat foggy parameters of posting. If I stray too far in the future feel free to use your power to yank my post and send it off to the nether-lands of cyberspace.

I appreciate the hard work you've put into creating this site and I will continue to visit it albeit with a somewhat more cautious eye.

Happiest of hanging, Miguel

stoikurt
01-30-2007, 12:03
I'll bring a big mug because I have to admit I'm still feeling a wee bit prissy right about now. l

I'm concerned if your a wee bit "prissy".:eek:

Miguel
01-30-2007, 12:44
Ha...that's funny! Guess I'd better read a wee bit more carefully! I thought that was a little odd choice of words on Jeff's part.

Grinder
01-30-2007, 15:00
Miguel,

It got singled out, and rightfully so, because myself and a few others rode it into the ground. with a post and picture of each iteration. And lots of iterations. You must have been camping to have missed that. More power to you!!

This is a site to ride hammocks into the ground.

We can live with that.

Tom

Did I tell you about my latest hammock??
30's last night in Central Florida. I was warm.

Miguel
01-30-2007, 17:06
I did miss that....hopefully it's still there so I can read it! :)