PDA

View Full Version : SB for an 8 year old?

davekrehl
04-13-2012, 08:42
My 8 year old is ready to try backpacking. I am considering one of the Grand Trunk hammocks based on price and some of the comments on this forum. Do you think I should start with the ultralite, since he is little, or go straight to an attached bugnet version? I don't want to invest a ton until I see that he likes it.

Sonoma
04-13-2012, 09:00
My 8 year old is ready to try backpacking. I am considering one of the Grand Trunk hammocks based on price and some of the comments on this forum. Do you think I should start with the ultralite, since he is little, or go straight to an attached bugnet version? I don't want to invest a ton until I see that he likes it.

My son is 8 too(just turned) When I purchased my SB Pro(has a net) for $52 I baught a second. For him it is over kill since it is rated 400lb and he is 50lb. I swapped out the supension on both for amsteel blue and made me some whoopie slings. He carries it just fine with his 2lb Walmart Youth Mummy Bag in a regular back pack.
My reasoning for the purchase was he may not always go with me and I could loan it out to a friend that might. And for $52 it was a no brainer. I did consider 2 models for half the price but they do not have the net which is needed in North Mississippi and surrounding states.

DivaB
04-13-2012, 09:07
The GT ultra lite will work great for him, and you can throw together a bug net pretty inexpensively, and an easy project with some black organza. The GT should last him several years before he needs something bigger. You can also go camo with the GT UL which boys just love.

Thom
04-13-2012, 09:32
The Ultralight should work great for him. It's inexpensive enough that if he doesn't like it, you can just hang it in the backyard.

Acer
04-13-2012, 10:00
I got a GT UL for the 5 yr old granddaughter and she loves it.

Boomer
04-13-2012, 21:51
My kids all love the hammocks. My $.02, if you're planning on any time when the bugs are around, it will be much more pleasant with the bug net. I can't imagine he wouldn't like it. My kids fight over mine.

Sonoma
04-17-2012, 10:17
I can't imagine he wouldn't like it. My kids fight over mine.

Same boat here. My kids say yeah right to a tent and a hard ground. Only thing I have 4 to buy for. Totally worth it if we have plenty of trees.

Boomer
04-17-2012, 23:03
Only thing I have 4 to buy for. Totally worth it if we have plenty of trees.

Yep, me too. But I make them share an ENO double (or since this is a GT thread, a GT Double). There willing to put up with a little discomfort. :laugh:

Sonoma
04-20-2012, 08:28
Yep, me too. But I make them share an ENO double (or since this is a GT thread, a GT Double). There willing to put up with a little discomfort. :laugh:

I have 2 of the GT Skeeter Beeter Pro. For what I paid I would gladly buy 2 more. The little two can share. :shades:

KajunKat
04-23-2012, 11:38
They also have the SB ultralight. That is what my two youngest (11 and 13) use.