PDA

View Full Version : will the eno double rip at the seams if 2 people are napping in one

neo
07-21-2008, 18:49
will the eno double ripp at the seams if 2 people are napping in one
i want to get one to use as day hammock for me and my girl friend
to nap in when we go kayaking.i have heard they rip at the seams
my girl friend wieghs 115 lbsand i wiegh 190,i wieghed 215 lbs 5 months ago
i i need to lose 20 more lbs:cool:neo

Coffee
07-21-2008, 18:54
No. It is rated to 400lbs.

neo
07-21-2008, 18:57
No. It is rated to 400lbs.

i have seen a lot of pics that show they fail at the seams way below rated weight:cool:neo

angrysparrow
07-21-2008, 19:02
i have seen a lot of pics that show they fail at the seams way below rated weight:cool:neo

I've never heard of an ENO failing below the rated weight.

I've had two people in my ENO several times, no problems at all.

Coffee
07-21-2008, 19:04
I remember Hooch saying his failed at the seam. I think that was a defect, if I remember right it was a single and he was the only one in it.

I have a lot of faith in hammock body's after I had 2 people in my 1.9 untreated DIY hammock for 5 nights, after logging close to 200 hangs in it.

headchange4u
07-21-2008, 21:46
My wife and I have been in my ENO (and TTTM) and had no problems at all.

FanaticFringer
07-21-2008, 22:14

Got any pics?

Roadtorque
07-21-2008, 22:32
I have only had mine for about a month now. Spent a lot of time in it a few times with my wife. I'm 215 she is 115 and so far no problems and I even hang it pretty tight. I dont think it is real comfortable with two people so we dont get in together a lot. Mostly when I'm already in it and she wants to take a nap but I'm to lazy to move!

Hooch
07-22-2008, 07:52
I remember Hooch saying his failed at the seam. Actually, it failed parallel to the seam (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=951&catid=member&imageuser=336). As you can see in the picture, the seams are still intact. I believe that there may have been a small hole I didn't see and when I got back in my hammock after watering the flowers and turned on my side, this stressed it and it went rip.

I think that was a defect.......
I'm not so sure it was a manufacturing defect as it was a hole that got stressed and caused a huge rip in the material. Just the same, Pete from ENO was happy to replace it with a DoubleNest for me.

.......if I remember right it was a singleGood memory!

if I remember right......he was the only one in it.

I was, indeed.

Tobit
07-22-2008, 08:05
Yeah, I think Hooch's problem is indeed unique and the only carnage pic I've ever seen of a failed parachute hammock. I've done quite a bit of research as I'm 300 lbs. currently and have a Trek Light. If neo does have more pics, I'd like him to share as well.

JayS
07-22-2008, 08:59
Have only had myself and a kid or two in our DoubleNest but that was around 300 lbs total. No problems whatsoever other than sliding into each other and a lot of "Hey! Move over." being said.

Miguel
07-22-2008, 09:38
BTW Eno....congratulations on the new Hammock Princess! Pics....we want pics!

Miguel

warbonnetguy
07-22-2008, 20:44
I have a lot of faith in hammock body's after I had 2 people in my 1.9 untreated DIY hammock for 5 nights, after logging close to 200 hangs in it.

that's good to hear.

i've had 2 people (~300) in a single layer 1.5 oz. it was new and never overnight, but we lounged quite a bit. i took apart the whipping later and saw no excessive wear from the support rope either.

slowhike
07-22-2008, 21:01
One thing to be careful about in any hammock, especially if you're pushing the limits a little, is raising up on elbows.
That puts a great amount of pressure in one small area.
Also be careful not to leave anything in your pockets that might fall out into the hammock & possibly cause a rip as your body weight press it against the hammock.

Will P
07-22-2008, 22:57
I see you've gotten plenty of feedback on the issue but just to throw in one more piece of support.. my friend and I both have doublenests. He's around 320 lbs (and 6'5") and has never had a problem. Neither have I with my girlfriend and I being in mine. In fact, the only failure I've had was from one of the slap strap loops as I was being involuntarily swung quite high in it. Which resulted in a sore bottom, if you will. Hammock was perfectly fine though despite all the additional force, and straps have never been a problem except for that one "unnatural swinging" incident. Just my experience so far.

Zachalope
09-04-2010, 05:44
My single nest popped a few stitches here and there on the seams when I first started using it. I am pretty sure I nailed it down to being pulled too tight between the trees(little to no sag when empty), and then when I would grab the edge to get out it would pop a few. It was only two or three here or there, and the hammock is fine today, but this was before I learned about the more sag = diagonal lay = greatness.

thomas533
09-04-2010, 13:07
I've heard of a few people having failures in various hammocks and as far as I can tell it has always been due to trying to hang it really tight. There are a number of youtube videos where people show you to stretch the hammock really tight before getting in so that you can have a flatter lay. This sort of thing will increase the chances that the fabric or seems will give out. Keep a nice 30° angle on your hammock lines and you will be fine.

...And my wife and I lay together in my ENO Double all the time with no problem.

coolkayaker1
09-06-2010, 12:57
My wife and I, as angrysparrow and the others have stated, lie together in ENO DN all the time and never has a failure. Combined weight about 300#.

Interestingly, although we enjoy facing one another in opposite directions (her head by my feet, and visa versa) the absolute ideal that we've found is me lying along one side of the hammock parallel to the hammock, and her lying perpendicular to me, with her back to my stomach. She can lie down well like this, or sit up, supported by my body, and even cross her legs Indian style and sit nicely. It distributes the weight well in the 'mock, and it keeps it open (she becomes a crossbar!).

Enjoy, neo. Neo is like ENO, only rearranged letters. Enjoy the ENO, which is short for, well, ENO. Which is like the word Enjoy. Only without the j and the y.

thekalimist
09-06-2010, 13:23
i whipped my hammock bliss and had no problem napping with the girlfriend. me 220, her 105.

Big Jim Mac
09-07-2010, 13:16
My Doublenest hasn't given any problems with me and the wife, and I bet we are pushing the limit. I'm 210-215 and she's probably 140-150 right now. Counting clothes we are in the upper 300s. Sure is fun, we are big believers in naps. Here we are in it this weekend, we were sitting sideways in this pic.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/moselle1962/Hammock/happycampers.jpg

coolkayaker1
09-10-2010, 12:08
Cute couple, BJM. Nice looking .

You considered a SN because of the extra fabric "slapping you in the face", funny, on another thread. You ever get one?