PDA

View Full Version : Clark's Jungle Hammock Question?

Old Hermit
07-22-2008, 21:06
I'm sorta new to hammock camping, the last time I've used a hammock
was in the service 1967.

Now I'm getting a Jungle Hammock, and my choice its going to be a Clark.
The question is; Which Model would be more feasible for my use.
The Tropical?, or The North America?.

Basically I am Three Seasonal Backpacker.
Most of my night temperatures has been in the range of 45° F to 75° F.
I'd would like to know if the Tropical model is a more feasible way to go...
second I know that The North America could be used too in those temperatures, But I would think that model would be more of an over kill for those seasonal temps...

I appreciate your knowledge, and experiences.
I'm located mid-South Tennessee.

Thank you:
Old Hermit

schmalts
07-22-2008, 21:17
The lower pockets are greaat to have if it is raining out. You can get in your hammock and strip down and put your clothes in the pockets. Your call, if you know for sure you will not be in cold weather and cost and weight is an issue go with the tropical. either way, get the XL fly, the standardfly is too small in heavy blowing rain, or get it without the fly and get the Claytor Diamond fly instead

fin
07-22-2008, 21:27
The weathershield on the the Clark NA is also a great option for colder temps or wind.

nogods
07-23-2008, 19:26
I'd get the NA for the extra $60. you'll be very happy with it. Unless you are over 6' tall, then you may want to consider the NA long. but if clark still has their 90 day return policy, try out the NA first and if it works for you then keep it.

45 degrees can be very cool for many people when using a hammock. the attached weather shield is a great feature and the pockets are ingenious.

hangnout
07-23-2008, 21:46
If you are under 6' save $100 and go with the Clark UL. Put the extra $100 toward a good UQ. I have spent many nights in Mid-North TN:D in a Clark UL. I camp four seasons with it also. The NA is a nice hammock but I would never carry enough stuff to even use the 2 pockets on the UL much less the NA. At the temps you stated you would never use the pockets or weathersheild so why carry the weight?

fin
07-23-2008, 21:54
If you are under 6' save $100 and go with the Clark UL. Put the extra $100 toward a good UQ. I have spent many nights in Mid-North TN:D in a Clark UL. I camp four seasons with it also. The NA is a nice hammock but I would never carry enough stuff to even use the 2 pockets on the UL much less the NA. At the temps you stated you would never use the pockets or weathersheild so why carry the weight?

Yeah, the big question is whether or not you are a UL'er or not. The Clark NA is a great hammock with a lot of storage, but if you don't need the pocket storage and can make/buy/steal a UQ from someone, a UL might be the way to go in your area.

hangnout
07-23-2008, 22:00
WI is a little different than TN:D for sure. I am a Clark fan but someone new hammocking may think that the pockets are going to replace a pad or UQ which leads to a cold experience for a backpacker. Car camping would be different because you could bring enough stuff to put in the pockets to get by but would never carry that much very far.

Old Hermit
07-23-2008, 22:15
I sure appreciate all you're replies... Making the right choice is a Tough...

The Tropical vs The North American are very close in comparison.
The Tropical is a three seasonal shelter.
You can get options, i.e > Weathshied, and XL Rainfly. Only four outside pockets are on the Tropical, vs the Six on the North American.
Plus, a Netted head-end for added air-circulation on Tropical. Which lowers Consensation...
Which this feature is Not available on the North American... And you can get both either in standard color Green, or Camouflag...
Only diffences is Price ...

Like I've stated I'm new to Hammock camping..
I'd guess I would need to review ever thing over agian...:rolleyes:;)

hangnout
07-23-2008, 22:50
Like I've stated I'm new to Hammock camping..
I'd guess I would need to review ever thing over agian...:rolleyes:;)

Good thing about buying a Clark, you can send it back if you don't like it. Choosing between the 2 you listed I would vote for the NA mainly because of the weathershield. If you are 6' or taller go for the new NX200. It comes standard with a larger tarp also.

Welcome to the "dark (enlightned) side" of the shelter world! Happy hangin

Old Hermit
07-23-2008, 23:16
Reply to: HANGnOUT;
I notice that there is a New series out. The Newest one is the Tropical Model
Should be out soon Mid-Aug'08 I think?...

One smiple question, Why do you perfered, that the North American would be much better choice, when you can order the Weathshield and the XL Rain Fly options for the Tropical.
They both seem to more equal in comparison. Is it because the Weather Temperature range, Or I'm sorta missing something?:confused:

I guess I would need to call clark's jungle hammock in the morning...

From,
Old Hermit

hangnout
07-23-2008, 23:31
One smiple question, Why do you perfered, that the North American would be much better choice, when you can order the Weathshield and the XL Rain Fly options for the Tropical.
They both seem to more equal in comparison. Is it because the Weather Temperature range, Or I'm sorta missing something?:confused:

I guess I would need to call clark's jungle hammock in the morning...

You will be happy with either. I just figured that by the time you add a weathershield to the Tropical there would only be $20 difference. The pockets on the NA are placed in the torso area and would have some value in the 60 to 70 degree range because they would create a dead air space and stop some wind. In the 45 to 60 degree range you can use a pad in combo with the pockets for low cost insulation. If you camp mostly in mid summer the tropical would have some good points but if you are like me I prefer the spring and fall for camping and the NA would be better in these two seasons.

Old Hermit
07-23-2008, 23:37
Re: HANGnOUT;
Thank You !!! It very helpful information..
Yes, I believed most of my experience would be in Spring and Fall more so than early summer or winter...

Quick Note:
From information on their website states the North American is a Four Season. and the Tropical is Three season. That is confusing me in decision making...:D

From,
Old Hermit

Ramblinrev
07-24-2008, 00:22
Re: HANGnOUT;
Thank You !!! It very helpful information..
Yes, I believed most of my experience would be in Spring and Fall more so than early summer or winter...

Quick Note:
From information on their website states the North American is a Four Season. and the Tropical is Three season. That is confusing me in decision making...:D

From,
Old Hermit

My guess is the tropics lack the winter season, giving them effectively three seasons. Hot, hotter and Go North or South just get out of this oven.

The NA marketed for a more temperate climate includes a winter in many places. Just a guess.

JPC
07-26-2008, 20:04
Going with the NA.

Old Hermit
08-19-2008, 01:17
Well everyone;
I finally order my North American NX200 Series Clark's Jungle Hammock.
Color is in ( Forest Green )..
> XL Rain Fly
> WeatherShield
> Pair Tree Straps

Now I can wait to try it out...

Appreciated everyones responds, with the help in making my decision :).
Thank you all
Old Hermit

RonW
10-07-2008, 12:32
Hi Old Hermit: I just returned from the Adirondack kayak trip using my CLARK N/A exclusively. I would recommend the N/A hands down for the following reasons: Warm weather? pack the weathershield away in it's storage pocket, and enjoy NOT having your fanny bitten by insects that CAN bite through any single layer hammock. The CLARK will give you an extra barrier on your behind. I suppose an enterprising mosquito will find you no matter what... Cold Weather? I found the weathershield raises the interior temp by almost 10 degrees, and removes any traces of wind that has given me more than one stiff neck in my old Hennessy. I have slept in some good quality tents where I found condensation to be horrific.... I have not experienced the least amount of moisture within my CLARK with fully closed weathershields. Very breathable. I have also found that the CLARK pockets DO work for providing warmth without an underquilt. As a kayaker, I use a fair number of small waterproof stuffsacks for carrying goodies. These work well for blowing up, and creating dead airspace within the pockets. You'll find the CLARK is made from excellent quality zippers and netting. I love mine. Worth every penny. BTW: I have begun using the LARGE FIGURE NINE rope tighteners (300lb NOT the 150lb "large" size) to avoid the knot tying hassles. Also, GET THE XL fly :) I've folded mine down like a sandwich more than once to avoid some bad thunderstorms, and have emerged dry every time. Hope this helps. Ron

Chris.Biomed
10-08-2008, 03:50
BTW: I have begun using the LARGE FIGURE NINE rope tighteners (300lb NOT the 150lb "large" size) to avoid the knot tying hassles. Also, GET THE XL fly :) I've folded mine down like a sandwich more than once to avoid some bad thunderstorms, and have emerged dry every time. Hope this helps. Ron

Do these work with Clark's standard rope?

Mrprez
10-08-2008, 06:33
I think the return period is 30 days and there is a 20% restocking fee. There was another member who was going to return his and was 5 days past the 30 day limit. You might see if you can buy his....