PDA

View Full Version : N.C. hammockers

slowhike
01-30-2007, 21:39
a few of us that live reasonably close have already hammocked together on the trail & there has been mention of trying to do more.
i know there are several in NC. & connecting states.
maybe we can try to look toward another trip soon.
and maybe others will do the same... like the TENN folks are doing.
and of course if we plan a trip somewhere in NC like linville gorge wilderness area or where ever, maybe it will be close enough that some of those in VA, TENN, SC, or GA would be able to join us & vice-versa.
i generally try to keep the one nighters with-in 2.5 to 3 hours driving time, but i'll drive a little farther for two nights.
only problem is that the people i work for don't want me taking fridays off. i could probably take a monday off on occasion, but it will be w/o pay... so not to often<g>.
anyway, just wanted to see if there were a few that wanted to start looking toward another trip. ...tim

blackbishop351
01-30-2007, 21:44
You know I'm up for it! I have Mondays off this semester, and I can pretty well take Fridays, too. Just let me know!

As far as location, Linville Gorge would be great. I'm also partial to Wilson Creek (adjacent to LG).

slowhike
01-30-2007, 21:48
You know I'm up for it! I have Mondays off this semester, and I can pretty well take Fridays, too. Just let me know!

As far as location, Linville Gorge would be great. I'm also partial to Wilson Creek (adjacent to LG).

yep, both of those places are GREAT!
we'll probably have to wait un-till next month though<g>. but let's be looking for a weekend in feb.

headchange4u
01-30-2007, 21:56
Just let me know where and I will try to be there. :)

Just Jeff
01-30-2007, 22:05
I'd love to do the Foothills Trail again, and doing a trip a little further south might get the GA/FL folks involved. And still not too far for the NC folks to drive.

blackbishop351
01-30-2007, 22:08
I'd love to do the Foothills Trail again, and doing a trip a little further south might get the GA/FL folks involved. And still not too far for the NC folks to drive.

What's that one like? It's not one I have any experience with, although I've heard lots of people having good things to say about it. Where exactly is it located again? I'm thinking Western NC (south of GSMNP) for some reason, but my memory isn't what it used to be :p

Bird Dog
01-30-2007, 22:16
im good...u guys know i have four days off at a time, but those days dont always fall on the weekends...the foothills trail is in sc between oconnee state park and table rock state park...im going to do the whole thing (~76 miles) the first part of April if anyone is up for it. BD

Just Jeff
01-30-2007, 22:17
It's right near the GA-SC-NC border. It's mostly in SC but crosses into NC for several miles.
http://www.foothillstrail.org/permanent/trailmap7.htm

The whole trail is 76 miles and it's beautiful...drops down to the lake, has lots of waterfalls and underground streams, etc. I guess the views are even better during the winter...the vegetation is pretty thick in summer.

Here's my journal: http://www.tothewoods.net/FTDay1.html

NCPatrick
01-30-2007, 22:26
I'd be up for a one nighter close-by.

I'm in the middle of marathon training (St. Louis in mid April) and I can't miss too much training time (oh yeah, and then there's that work thing, and then there's the whole family thing). Feb sounds good.

The Breeze
01-30-2007, 22:29
Great trail going to do my last 30 miles the 17 and 18 of feb. it the only natural rain forest in the eastern united states, some were around 60" of rain a yearplus the veiw is great in the winter .this would be a bad trail to do as your first because it is so pretty .:rolleyes: :D just my to cent

Bird Dog
01-30-2007, 22:32
Great trail going to do my last 30 miles the 17 and 18 of feb. it the only natural rain forest in the eastern united states, some were around 60" of rain a yearplus the veiw is great in the winter .this would be a bad trail to do as your first because it is so pretty .:rolleyes: :D just my to cent

breeze, can u pm me with that guys name and number we talked about at rogers? BD

Just Jeff
01-30-2007, 22:33
I'd have a hard time deciding which section to do, but it's all great for hammocking. There are some great spots at the top of Laurel Fork Falls just off the trail that could accommodate several hammocks.

slowhike
01-30-2007, 22:35
i'd like to see some of the foothills trail too, but for a short trip in feb, what say we look at feb 10-11, or 17-18 somewhere close like linville gorge.
i know a lesser used way to get to short-off mt (about a 2 hour hike).
wilson creek is wonderful, but to many creek crossings for this time of year<g>.

blackbishop351
01-30-2007, 22:39
i'd like to see some of the foothills trail too, but for a short trip in feb, what say we look at feb 10-11, or 17-18 somewhere close like linville gorge.
i know a lesser used way to get to short-off mt (about a 2 hour hike).
wilson creek is wonderful, but to many creek crossings for this time of year<g>.

Yeah, I didn't think about the creeks...might be kinda crappy if it's really cold, and if it's warmer, the water would be really high from the melts higher up. We don't want to soak Patrick's feet again :p

I'm pretty sure you know a lot more than I do about the Gorge, Tim - I haven't been up there much since my Scouting days. I'm fine with whatever spot you want to pick.

slowhike
01-30-2007, 22:48
of course if some of you decide to go to the foothills trail in feb, i may join you... if you'll let me & if you're not going to be burning the trails up<g>.
remember my trail name<g>.
but seriously, that's something to be up front about too.
people have different hiking styles & there's nothing wrong w/ that.
some people would want to get in quite a few miles & spend most of the day hiking. but i'm more of a camper. so it might be a good idea to decide what the nature of a trip is going to be so people can get in on the trips that best suit their style.

The Breeze
01-30-2007, 22:48
breeze, can u pm me with that guys name and number we talked about at rogers? BD

check your pms :p

Bird Dog
01-31-2007, 02:49
Breeze, got it thanks. Slowhike, let me check my schedule about the Gorge.
Ill get back to you. BD

eflat7
02-06-2007, 23:41
I would be interested in a NC "Hang Out". I'll keep an eye on this thread.

The Breeze
02-07-2007, 00:52
I would be interested in a NC "Hang Out". I'll keep an eye on this thread.

sounds like a idea????????????:cool:

Egads
02-07-2007, 07:15
Is Linville Gorge in lieu of the Foothills trail?

I'd love to join the FHT hike if it's still happening. I've canceled hikes there twice already due to hiking partner's canceling & no shuttle available on short notice.

LG sounds good too. When is this planned?

Egads

slowhike
02-07-2007, 15:29
egads... i would like to get down to the foothills trail this year, but i was thinking about something a little closer for a one night trip.
so hear is a proposal...
one night on short off mt in linville gorge. it's pretty central for most of the nc hammockers that i know where they live.
it's about 2.5 hr drive from winston-salem, nc.
i know a road & trail that not every one knows about. after about a couple hours hike in, you will be in a some what lesser used part of the gorge that i consider PRIME!!!
1st suggestion would be feb 17-18, but if more people could go feb 24-25, we can do that instead.

NCPatrick
02-07-2007, 15:31
Slowhike, are you going to create a poll to vote on which weekend?

slowhike
02-07-2007, 15:32
Slowhike, are you going to create a poll to vote on which weekend?

that would probably be helpful. i'll do that now.

slowhike
02-07-2007, 15:44
poll active.
you can vote for both week ends if either one would work for you.
if you do vote for both week ends, but prefer one above the other, just let that be known in a post.
BTW... this may be titled NC hikers, but anyone who is willing to drive is welcome as can be. it's just titled that way to get the attention of those close enough to do more trips together.

slowhike
02-07-2007, 20:30
i just discovered that if i click on the # where people have voted, it will show who voted for which week end.
i did set the poll up, but i would assume that it would show others as well.
right now it's looking more like the last week end of feb.

Crawldaddy
02-08-2007, 08:37
Hey folks, this is my new trailname. After a decade Ive finally got one. My AT buddy and a few others thot this was a perfect name for me. I cant imagine why. Im actually ncmtns in the whiteblaze site if that gives anyone a hint who I am.
Might could come on this trip. It would be great to put faces to the names on this forum. I love the Linville area. I live in Asheville, but job schedule may be an issue.

slowhike
02-08-2007, 22:22
great crawdaddy... i hope it will work out for you.
your name & mine have a certain similarity:p
and welcome to this group. ...tim

slowhike
02-10-2007, 11:25
at this point it looks like we have one more person signed up for 24-25 than 17-18.
i know that one one can be sure if they will be able to make a trip, even if they register on the poll, but i hate to leave any one out.
blackbishiop, what say we go both week ends & have different company both trips???:)

blackbishop351
02-10-2007, 11:28
at this point it looks like we have one more person signed up for 24-25 than 17-18.
i know that one one can be sure if they will be able to make a trip, even if they register on the poll, but i hate to leave any one out.
blackbishiop, what say we go both week ends & have different company both trips???:)

Sounds good to me! We could do two different spots, too - maybe one weekend at Wilson Creek?

This is, of course, all hypothetical until I clear it with the boss :D

Bird Dog
02-10-2007, 11:41
Sorry, fellas. Again, duty calls. My work days all fall on weekends for the next four weeks basically. Next time. BD

slowhike
02-10-2007, 12:18
Sorry, fellas. Again, duty calls. My work days all fall on weekends for the next four weeks basically. Next time. BD

that's to bad, i was hoping you could make one of these trips.
but we'll be doing more local trips soon, including the gorge... as long as the Lord's willin & the creeks don't rise & the ol buck board holds together<g>.

slowhike
02-10-2007, 12:28
Sounds good to me! We could do two different spots, too - maybe one weekend at Wilson Creek?

This is, of course, all hypothetical until I clear it with the boss :D

yep, we could do that. but the only two trails i've done in the wilson creek area required creek crossings that more often than not, meant getting at least your feet wet, & maybe more. i usually try to avoid those in the winter just to simplify things<g>.
even if we did go both week ends to linville gorge, we could go to two completely different spots. like a top view from short off & down to the river for the other. i know one of the better trails down to the river if you're interested in that.
better start sweet talkin the boss<g>.

blackbishop351
02-10-2007, 13:06
yep, we could do that. but the only two trails i've done in the wilson creek area required creek crossings that more often than not, meant getting at least your feet wet, & maybe more. i usually try to avoid those in the winter just to simplify things<g>.
even if we did go both week ends to linville gorge, we could go to two completely different spots. like a top view from short off & down to the river for the other. i know one of the better trails down to the river if you're interested in that.

I keep forgetting about the creek crossings :p You're right, of course. Most of the creeks in there are pretty unpredictable as far as water level, too - especially this time of year when there may or may not be melt runoff coming in from somewhere.

Could you do two nights one of these weekends? The long drive twice in a row would be nicer if we spent more time in the woods...maybe pick a spot with some good day hiking around, too?

better start sweet talkin the boss<g>.
I've already started :D Knocking out some honey-do's today and tomorrow. I know I can swing one weekend, so I'm working up to two :D

slowhike
02-10-2007, 13:31
i'm not sure about two nights. fridays tend to be long, busy days, & the small company i work for don't want me taking fri off. i had to take a hard stand w/ them to get the rogers trip fri off.
i might could get a monday off easyer, but it would be a day w/ no pay.
i'll get back to you on that one.
of course 2.5 hrs isn't to bad a drive for a one nighter.
but ya know... the days are getting longer & it wont be long until the time change (march 11), so even if i can't get off until 4 or 5 on fri, i could still drive to somewhere like linville & hike a little ways before dark.
of course if it's a trail that i'm familiar w/ or that's just easy to follow, i could hike in & find the others if there were some that wanted to go ahead.
matter a fact, if some of you wanted to go to linville on fri, i could hike in later as long as i knew where you would be.

peanuts
02-10-2007, 13:59
anyone from georgia going?????so i could hitch a ride:)

slowhike
02-10-2007, 14:28
a little more about the linville hikes...
it's about a 2 hour hike in to the top of shortoff that's basically all up hill. according to the hikers using the trail, it may take less time, but it has taken closer to 3 hrs when i took someone that wasn't used to hiking.
the friend who struggled w/ the hike in, said it was well worth it when we got to the camp site near the cliff edge.
he just sat in amazement for hours at a time looking at gorge & all it's features from his high & lofty perch.

the other hike i mentioned as a possibility is spence ridge trail. possibly the easiest trail to get to a section of the linville river in the gorge, yet removed from the tourists at linville falls. you wont get the big views there, but it's a great close-up shot of the gorge.
i don't remember the mileage & i've only been down it once, but i believe you would be at the river in about an hour or less from the parking area. all down hill going to the river & coming back... you guessed it<g>. but it's not bad at all, as long as you take your time.
there are additional trails that can be hiked from either location.

blackbishop351
02-10-2007, 14:33
Sounds good!

I vote for the river hike this coming weekend...is that trail doable at night? We could go Friday, shooting for starting near dark - I actually really like night-hiking.

slowhike
02-10-2007, 14:38
Sounds good!

I vote for the river hike this coming weekend...is that trail doable at night? We could go Friday, shooting for starting near dark - I actually really like night-hiking.

yep, it's a well used trail. i don't remember there being any trail junctions along the way except for one. i can find out for sure from the linvillegorge yahoo group so if any one needs to come in at a different time, we can leave them w/ clear, easy to follow trail description.

blackbishop351
02-10-2007, 14:52
yep, it's a well used trail. i don't remember there being any trail junctions along the way except for one. i can find out for sure from the linvillegorge yahoo group so if any one needs to come in at a different time, we can leave them w/ clear, easy to follow trail description.

Awesome. Any idea what the temps might be up there?

slowhike
02-11-2007, 00:21
Awesome. Any idea what the temps might be up there?

the elevation on top of short off is about 3000'.
it's only around 2000' where the spence ridge trail meets the river, but cold air is likely to collect in a low pocket.
i'd say it wont be as cold as the mt rogers area on the same night, but colder than home<g>.
to far in advance to put much weight in the weather forecast IMO.

slowhike
02-11-2007, 12:24
ok, i'm going to go ahead & plan on both weekends mentioned. maybe blackbishop will be able to do both as well.
so the others that did the poll (or even if you did not do the poll) can know that both trips are a go.

feb 17-18... linville gorge; to the river by spence ridge trail.
feb 24-25... linville gorge; to shortoff mt by wolfpit rd & trail.

more details to follow. ...tim

blackbishop351
02-11-2007, 12:26
ok, i'm going to go ahead & plan on both weekends mentioned. maybe blackbishop will be able to do both as well.
so the others that did the poll (or even if you did not do the poll) can know that both trips are a go.

feb 17-18... linville gorge; to the river by spence ridge trail.
feb 24-25... linville gorge; to shortoff mt by wolfpit rd & trail.

more details to follow. ...tim

I'm still working up to the second weekend - cross your fingers! The boss is in a good mood today, so I might be able to make some headway....plus, I've got a pretty good Valentine's Day plan. That never hurts :D

blackbishop351
02-13-2007, 18:19
So this weekend is a go for me! Next weekend is looking kind of doubtful, though - and I definitely won't know until sometime next week. But I'll try!

slowhike
02-13-2007, 19:59
So this weekend is a go for me! Next weekend is looking kind of doubtful, though - and I definitely won't know until sometime next week. But I'll try!

that's good BB. maybe next week will work out for you as well. i'm still planning to go 24-25 as long as some one wants to go.
egads & ncpatrick, how are things looking for you for this week end (17-18)... or anyone else that's able to go?
the hike in to the river is not very far, but there's plenty to explore after we set camp if you want.

NCPatrick
02-14-2007, 07:50
Still trying to work it out. Schedule is very full.

slowhike
02-14-2007, 08:58
Still trying to work it out. Schedule is very full.

ok, no prob. hope you can make it work.
i belive the plan is to start out about 9am sat & be back home by between 6-8pm sun.

NCPatrick
02-14-2007, 09:39
I tried to send you a PM, but your box was full.

slowhike
02-14-2007, 10:22
I tried to send you a PM, but your box was full.

it's un-full now<g>, but my dirrect email is [email protected]

slowhike
02-14-2007, 11:49
here is some info i sent to patrick incase egads or anyone else is still interrested in this weekend's trip besides BB & myself.

patrick... if you decide to try this week end, we can plan to leave the winston-salem area about 8am. i have talked to ed speer about coming by his place in marion & picking up the pea pod he is holding for me. this would take an extra hour or so, but that would leave plenty time to get to camp by mid afternoon.
if we leave ed's a round 10:30 or 11:00, & stop to get a quick bite of lunch, we should be at the trail head by around noon.
keith has mentioned now that he wouldn't mind going up to shortoff instead of down to the river. i told him that would be fine w/ me. that's one of my favorite places to camp.
if you haven't seen the gorge from shortoff, you really need to!
anyway, we would probably be where we would want to set-up camp by 2-3pm?
if you need to get back earlier on sun, you could drive & hike out earlier. it's an easy hike out... all down hill<g>. ....tim

blackbishop351
02-14-2007, 11:50
So is anyone else able to go this weekend? Looks like we might be leaning toward Shortoff Mtn. for this one, too.

blackbishop351
02-14-2007, 11:56
here is some info i sent to patrick incase egads or anyone else is still interrested in this weekend's trip besides BB & myself.

patrick... if you decide to try this week end, we can plan to leave the winston-salem area about 8am. i have talked to ed speer about coming by his place in marion & picking up the pea pod he is holding for me. this would take an extra hour or so, but that would leave plenty time to get to camp by mid afternoon.
if we leave ed's a round 10:30 or 11:00, & stop to get a quick bite of lunch, we should be at the trail head by around noon.
keith has mentioned now that he wouldn't mind going up to shortoff instead of down to the river. i told him that would be fine w/ me. that's one of my favorite places to camp.
if you haven't seen the gorge from shortoff, you really need to!
anyway, we would probably be where we would want to set-up camp by 2-3pm?
if you need to get back earlier on sun, you could drive & hike out earlier. it's an easy hike out... all down hill<g>. ....tim

And yet again, I get beat to the punch! :p

NCPatrick
02-14-2007, 12:14
Wow, that all looks so familiar... :p

NCPatrick
02-14-2007, 12:53
Tim, have you got any Google maps or anything to show where we're going? Or is it top secret? :cool:

slowhike
02-14-2007, 13:51
Tim, have you got any Google maps or anything to show where we're going? Or is it top secret? :cool:

no real secret (i just hope the others on this list don't read this<g>).
it's probably good that, that way into the top of shortoff is a little lesser known among the public. only reason it's not is just because it's not promoted as far as i know in trail guides & maps.
i take exit 100 off I40 (glen alpine/ jamestown rd) & go north 3 miles.
jamestown rd turns into independance bluv when it crosses hwy 70.
turn left onto hwy 126. it is directly across from freedom high school.
on hwy 126 go 11 winding miles. you will see & pass lake james on the left.
just after you lose view of the lake, you will see wolf pit rd on the right.
this is a long gravel road. shouldn't be a problem to travel in most any car, but when you get to the last few hundred yards, & as you pass the last house (on the left), the road gets rough.
if you drive a low clearance vehicle, you will want to find a place to park off the edge of the road, just past that last house.
i once pulled a geo prizm up onto a slight bank along there.
if it's rained recently, there will two large puddles to go through. just choose one edge & keep going.
at the end of the rough section is a circle/ turn around & places to park on both sides.
the trail is at the back of the circle, to the left. there's at least one other old trail going off to the right, but you can easily see tell which is the regularly used trail.
there's only one junction in the trail before you get to the top. i'll add details on that soon.

NCPatrick
02-14-2007, 14:03
Oh ok. Just leave me hanging out there at the junction. :D

Ummm... so I just wait there until the Snipe come and jump in the bag?

blackbishop351
02-14-2007, 14:06
Oh ok. Just leave me hanging out there at the junction. :D

Ummm... so I just wait there until the Snipe come and jump in the bag?

If I end up waiting 'till Saturday, you guys can both ride with me...then we'll have Tim's navigating expertise to keep use safe :D

NCPatrick
02-14-2007, 14:11
Just don't let him drink Sprite in your car. :)

If I can go, I may need to get back earlier on Sunday than the current plan calls for.

slowhike
02-14-2007, 15:22
Just don't let him drink Sprite in your car. :)

not in a hardee's cup anyway<g>

If I can go, I may need to get back earlier on Sunday than the current plan calls for.

i understand the need sometimes to get back earlier, but i sure do hate to leave early myself unless it's really necessary. but if you do go & drive, we'll find you a safe place to park before that last short stretch.

peanuts
02-14-2007, 15:53
i wish someone from georgia would be attending this gathering (feb 24-25):( so i could hitch a ride!(lost my steering in the van):mad: :mad:

NCPatrick
02-14-2007, 15:56
i understand the need sometimes to get back earlier, but i sure do hate to leave early myself unless it's really necessary. but if you do go & drive, we'll find you a safe place to park before that last short stretch.

<shrug>

Thanks. I appreciate it.

slowhike
02-15-2007, 20:38
here's information on the trails taking you from wolfpit rd to the top of shortoff mtn.
i up loaded a picture of that section of map.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P2150005.JPG
also i did a drawn map because the topo dosen't show the trails the way they actually are.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P2150001.JPG
both maps will show up larger if you go to the camp outs gallery.
you can see wolfpit rd on both maps, ending in a loop turn around. if your vehicle has a little clearance & you have some skill at maneuvering rough roads, you can park at the loop. you'll see were people a been parking along the edges.
SUVs should have no problem but be careful of rocks & don't stop or slow down to much in the large puddles<g>.
i have driven a mini bus & a volvo sedan in there, but i probably shouldn't have<g>.
if you want you can find a place to park just past the last house, before it gets rough. and you could walk it just to check it out if you like, just don't park in the road.
you can see on the drawn map where the trail starts.
when you get to an intersection in the trail go strait ahead & you will then be on the MTS trail (white blaze).
as for water, you will cross a spring w/ a pipe in the trail (seen on the drawn map as a blue dot just to the left of the word "shortoff").
but there should be water closer to camp.
note the shallow, spring fed pond on the drawn map & the trail across from it.
the spring across from the pond has been the best source, but several large blow downs have covered the trail a short ways in. so you have to try to see where it's going & go around.
it can be a challenge to find the spring trail past all the blow down, but when you do, it soon becomes easy to follow again to the spring.
just pay attention to where you came from.
the pond it's self can be used too & if it has water in it, that would be much easier. it's just easy to stir up silt there.
as far as places to camp, i put on the drawn map the cliffside camps that i love to use, but if the wind is bad, you may want to retreat back into the woods.
make a mental note of the several camp clearings w/ good trees you see after you get on the MST in case you decide to go back to one.
there may be a place for hammocks on the spring trail.
but you need to at least see my favorite spot. it's about a 5 minute walk past the shallow pond. just keep an eye out for a trail on your left & it will take you over to the cliffside camp.
from that camp you can walk out onto a large rock for a great view of the gorge!
let me know if you have more questions. ..tim

blackbishop351
02-15-2007, 20:43
Tim, you missed your calling man! You should've been a cartographer! That hand-drawn map makes anything I've ever done look like a squiggly line.. :p

slowhike
02-15-2007, 20:53
Tim, you missed your calling man! You should've been a cartographer! That hand-drawn map makes anything I've ever done look like a squiggly line.. :p

just something i trew together for ya man:D
and for others that might need it later.

stoikurt
02-15-2007, 22:12
Come on down, Slowhike. I am a cartographer, maybe I can put you to work.:D

slowhike
02-15-2007, 22:48
Come on down, Slowhike. I am a cartographer, maybe I can put you to work.:D

thanks my friend, sounds tempting, but i don't think i could take the heat down there<g>.

NCPatrick
02-16-2007, 09:18
That's great Slowhike. Thanks for the drawing.

Bird Dog
02-16-2007, 10:53
a little more about the linville hikes...
it's about a 2 hour hike in to the top of shortoff that's basically all up hill. according to the hikers using the trail, it may take less time, but it has taken closer to 3 hrs when i took someone that wasn't used to hiking.
the friend who struggled w/ the hike in, said it was well worth it when we got to the camp site near the cliff edge.
he just sat in amazement for hours at a time looking at gorge & all it's features from his high & lofty perch.

the other hike i mentioned as a possibility is spence ridge trail. possibly the easiest trail to get to a section of the linville river in the gorge, yet removed from the tourists at linville falls. you wont get the big views there, but it's a great close-up shot of the gorge.
i don't remember the mileage & i've only been down it once, but i believe you would be at the river in about an hour or less from the parking area. all down hill going to the river & coming back... you guessed it<g>. but it's not bad at all, as long as you take your time.
there are additional trails that can be hiked from either location.

If Im not mistaken, the Spence ridge trail is like 1.2 miles. BD

blackbishop351
02-16-2007, 10:58
If Im not mistaken, the Spence ridge trail is like 1.2 miles. BD

Hey BD - tell the PD you came down with a rare case of Hikinhanginitis...they'll buy it, I swear! Then you can come with! :D

Bird Dog
02-16-2007, 11:02
Hey BD - tell the PD you came down with a rare case of Hikinhanginitis...they'll buy it, I swear! Then you can come with! :D

You have no idea how bad i have it. Its the selling it to the boss part that I still havent figured out. However, I took four days off in April (that will give me 12 days off the way my schedule works) for my FTC hike. I cant wait. Hopefully I can get to the gorge again soon. thats the first place I ever backpacked. Kinda like my first love. BD

NCPatrick
02-16-2007, 15:03
Slowhike, did you ever hear from Egads? Blackbishop351 and I are headed on up to Shortoff around 4:00 today. I have color printouts of your maps.

Wish everyone here could join us. We'll take pictures.

Coffee
02-16-2007, 15:07
Happy hanging to you guys. I'll be at RRG, KY next weekend with some Oh/KY guys.

blackbishop351
02-16-2007, 16:46
Everybody have a good weekend! Wish us low temps and warm hammocks! We're off!

slowhike
02-16-2007, 23:03
well... it's almost 11:00 pm fri eve. blackbishop & patrick left today for linville gorge, but they had to wait until late afternoon to leave.
BB said they may be doing a little night hiking but that's what he likes.
i suggested they stay away from the cliff side camp sites if they are going to be setting up in the dark<g>.
i'll bet it's pretty cold too. 26°f here in winston-salem, nc (about 1000' elevation) & 10° on mt mitchel, nc (over 6000'). they are about 3000' elevation. my guess is that they will see the upper teens tonight. maybe mid teens by morning.
i'll be leaving in the morn to meet up w/ them, but i'm going by ed speer's first to pick up some webbing & silnylon.
should have a few nice pictures to post sunday!!! ...tim

slowhike
02-18-2007, 16:56
we're back:)
i'll fill you in later... but one of the others will probably get started before i do.
i need to craw into my hammock & take a nap... that wind was workin us overtime last night:o

blackbishop351
02-18-2007, 18:12
I just got in - great trip! More details and pix to come, but 19* low both nights and a LOT of wind last night like Tim said. I'm taking a shower and a nap and then I'll post some more trip info!

Egads
02-18-2007, 20:49
I am curious about the weather at LG. I was in the Nantahala area with Hikernutt, Tim, & Bobbyray. Low around 12* & wicked wind. Snow ~4-6 in & drifts on the trail up to 2 ft. I chickened out of hanging Saturday night as my clothes were soaking wet after climbing Wayah Bald, and went to Franklin. Besides, my bag is only rated for 20*

BTW, did two SOBOs named Iceman & ?????Wookie pass thru Mt Rogers when y'all were out? If so, ran into them, planning to finish on Friday.

Egads

slowhike
02-18-2007, 21:20
I am curious about the weather at LG. I was in the Nantahala area with Hikernutt, Tim, & Bobbyray. Low around 12* & wicked wind. Snow ~4-6 in & drifts on the trail up to 2 ft. I chickened out of hanging Saturday night as my clothes were soaking wet after climbing Wayah Bald, and went to Franklin. Besides, my bag is only rated for 20*

BTW, did two SOBOs named Iceman & ?????Wookie pass thru Mt Rogers when y'all were out? If so, ran into them, planning to finish on Friday.

Egads

the top of shortoff mtn is only about 3000' so our low was 19 (18.7 sat night/sun morn actually<g>).
only a good dusting of snow... maybe close to 1".
the winds were howing & though we weren't getting the full force of it, we were still getting some whipping winds on our tarps.
blackbishop & ncpatrick stayed in the same site fri night & it was calm. it was still calm sat eve when i sat up near BB.
i know how things can change in the mountains but i was in favor of taking a chance for the view.
the wind began to pick up around dark... by 2am i decided i had better get up to lower the tarp & re-adjust every thing.
BB had to get up shortly after i started to re-secure his black cat tarp & find a stake or two that had been jerked up & slung.

but i don't remeber seeing any thru hikers at rogers.

slowhike
02-18-2007, 21:58
I just got in - great trip! More details and pix to come, but 19* low both nights and a LOT of wind last night like Tim said. I'm taking a shower and a nap and then I'll post some more trip info!

take a shower??? man, you saw were i took a shower!http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P2170010.JPG
i hate when it freezes before you get all the soap off:eek:

check out the pictures in the campout gallery. ...tim

slowhike
02-19-2007, 22:13
it was a good trip last week end, just to short. even shorter for patrick.
but it was interesting... webbing stretch, wind, ripped tarp corner, & a busted valve on the exped DAM.
pretty neat to see ed speer & hear of his interest in the end covers too!
i'm going to say a little more about the webbing strech & the valve failure on another thread in case there would be interest on those.
about next week end, feb 24-25, i was wondering if there was still interested in that trip.
i learned about something this week that could change my plans. my sister (age 57) is going to have by-pass surgery tue, (2/20).
if all goes well i may still be able to go... just have to see.
so if others have still been planning to go, let me know. if it turns out that i can't go, i can fill you in on the details.
and blackbishop may be going back as well. ...tim

slowhike
02-20-2007, 18:25
my sister came through the surgery well today, so it's very possible i'll be able to go to linville gorge this comming weekend (feb 24-25) if any one is still up for it. ...tim

The Breeze
02-20-2007, 18:45
don't look like I will get to go we are starting up more dvd lines and I have to be there sorry maybe next time :mad: :(

slowhike
02-20-2007, 19:40
don't look like I will get to go we are starting up more dvd lines and I have to be there sorry maybe next time :mad: :(

sorry to hear that, but i'll look forward to getting together w/ you on another one.

Just Jeff
02-20-2007, 19:51
My in-laws are coming up...best time to hike, I guess, but I gotta stick around the house so I'll live to hike another day.

slowhike
02-20-2007, 20:05
My in-laws are coming up...best time to hike, I guess, but I gotta stick around the house so I'll live to hike another day.

i'll wait to see what crawdaddy & BB have to say, but if we don't do this weekend, it may be just as well for me... as much as i'd like to be out there.
and we definitely will look for other chances.

blackbishop351
02-20-2007, 20:21
I don't think I can make it that far again this weekend. I've got a play to go to either Friday or Saturday night, plus a little bit of work...I might could go somewhere close like Uwharrie for a night though, if anybody's interested.