PDA

View Full Version : DIY Cat Tarp

Coffee
02-01-2007, 12:08
I finally finished a tarp the works. Third time is a charm. It is 12' long on the ridgeline and 5' wide on each side before seams. It is huge when set up. I don't see a reason right now why I would need a longer tarp.

It comes in at 14.8 oz before seam sealing and guy lines. The sil alone comes to 11.5 oz. I was going to weigh each item I added, but forgot after the sil. I used 1" GGR on the edges. It looks pretty good in person (from afar so you can't see my sewing mistakes;) ) with the white sil and black trim. The sil came out more of a grey in my pics.

It pitched fairly tight. It could be a little tighter, but I had to hammer in the stakes into the ground and did not feel like moving the stakes.

Thanks to BlackBishop for a couple pointers and thread on his tarps.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/DIYCatTarpSideView.JPG

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/9/DIYCatTarp34View.JPG

(note the hammer in the foreground, part of my ultralight gear list:D )

Touch of Grey
02-01-2007, 12:22
Great Job HE! Nice pics too, even if the tarp is only reflecting the color of the sky (gray).

I'd say watch out Brian but I don't think you guys are out to do business but for the personal enjoyment of making it yourselves. That's my motivation for DIY stuff.

TOG:)

eflat7
02-01-2007, 13:16
Wow, that is great work!

Coffee
02-01-2007, 13:48
Thanks for the compliments. One step closer to a complete DIY setup.

txulrich
02-01-2007, 14:21
My MacCat Deluxe weighs 16.4 oz including the stuff sack and the guy lines.

Great job on the tarp.

headchange4u
02-01-2007, 14:38
Looks sweet HE. I love all the room my tarp gives me as well as the weather protection.

stoikurt
02-01-2007, 14:38
Very nice, HE. That's the exact dimensions of my next one...as soon as I can get some sil ordered. I've found really great DWR at my WalMarts but no Sil. So I'll just have to order some from Ed soon.

The Breeze
02-01-2007, 18:17
great tarp he hope mine looks that good when i get done!!!!!:cool:

Coffee
02-01-2007, 18:21
great tarp he hope mine looks that good when i get done!!!!!:cool:

Thanks.

Yours will turn out. Just take your time and when you post pics, that them from a distance on a cloudy day. Makes every project like good.:rolleyes: