PDA

View Full Version : MMG Survival Hammock

MacEntyre
04-28-2012, 17:25
Last October, I spent a week with Mors Kochanski. Mors showed us the Mors Scarf, a multi-purpose bivvy/garment/scarf. Another student, Jason Gustafson, was standing next to me. We looked at each other, and both of us said, "Add end channels and that's a hammock!" Mors gave me his ok to make them, and Jason has been encouraging me to get it done.

In order to make the primary function of the Mors Scarf to be a hammock, I changed the dimensions. It is similar in size to the TTTG Light Hiker, and it turned out to be a very comfortable hammock! It is also an effective breathable bivvy sack, an emergency coverall, a scarf, and more!

Introducing the Molly Mac Gear Survival Hammock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uM75rVMWxQ). Enjoy!

5uM75rVMWxQ

Thanks for watching!

- MacEntyre

P.S. Thing1 and I were just talking about the possibility of flipping the hammock so that the noseeum window is on the upper layer, then getting in between the layers while it is in hammock mode... for a bugnet hammock!

Shnick
04-28-2012, 17:29
Ooops too soon, "Currently being processed"

Shnick

daveocelott
04-28-2012, 18:12
Thats amazing!

Knotty
04-28-2012, 23:16
Always innovating.

You rock MacEntyre.

JohnSawyer
04-29-2012, 00:03
More cool stuff from MMG! Very cool!

MAD777
04-29-2012, 06:17
Just when you think you've seen it all... Along comes MacEntyre. :thumbup:

The more I think about it, I have wearable top quilts. Add this wearable hammock. Figure out how to make a wearable stove. Then I could leave the backpack at home and just hike in all my gear! :lol:

mbiraman
04-29-2012, 11:17
Good job Mac.

Adarack
04-29-2012, 15:00
That is just too cool. Great job Mac.

DivaB
04-29-2012, 19:34
Just when you think you've seen it all... Along comes MacEntyre. :thumbup:

The more I think about it, I have wearable top quilts. Add this wearable hammock. Figure out how to make a wearable stove. Then I could leave the backpack at home and just hike in all my gear! :lol:

There you go. It's about what it's come to :laugh:

MacEntyre
04-29-2012, 20:23
Figure out how to make a wearable stove. :lol:
...a hiker's top hat? :laugh:

Born_Old
04-29-2012, 21:22
Think I could like this a lot, I always love objects with multiple purposes. This could be a nice item to have in an emergency.

This may be a strange question, and I do not have the experience to know if it is a good idea, but could it be made with the top ripstop and the bottom silnylon? My thought is I could attempt to fold it (or snaps/fasteners) :) and use it as a pack cover. It could be a small tarp, it might even be able to afford some uq protection. I've never used a bivy, so I don't know if there is a breathable-vs-wet conflict. I am also pretty tall so gear or my daughter would probably fill it unless it was an emergency.

Again, love the idea.

Born Old

stairguy
04-29-2012, 22:04
Nice job Mac.

mike777
04-29-2012, 23:14
I like it. Wow, that brings a lot of new ideas to mind.

I bet in hammock mode you could sleep between the layers with the screen on the top and you've got a bug resistant hammock if you seal off the openings with some velcro.

ShadowAlpha
04-29-2012, 23:21
Very nice! Love the multi purpose design.

MedicineMan
04-29-2012, 23:29
History made again by McIntyre/Mors K.
The first hammock that can be a double layer hammock with ccf pad deployed between layers OR
a single layer hammock with integral overcover AND bug netting.
Mors is a thinker and great execution Mac :)

I would think the sil-nyl version of the UQP by 2Q/ZQ would also work when using as a ground bivy-or ever a couple trash bags for that matter.

I also think a lot of us who have bObs, that for the most part the hammock has not been a real consideration; that has changed.

Callahan
04-29-2012, 23:37
Great idea Mors and Mac! :)

MacEntyre
04-30-2012, 05:59
Medicine Man has answered just as I was going to, Born Old!

A silnylon hammock would be impractical, due to condensation. The 2Q/ZQ UQ protector would be an example of the gear that could work for you in hammock mode or in bivvy mode, especially if you could un-gather the ends. The Molly Mac Gear IX UQs would do the same. :thumbup:

Of course, your daughter needs her own Survival Hammock... you can't have her in there with you when you are hanging! :rolleyes:

- MacEntyre

jloden
04-30-2012, 14:47
That is pretty cool, I have long liked the idea of a hammock that's multi-purpose, and something that can double as a usable bivy with a bugnet is pretty awesome. I look forward to seeing more on this one!

I'm particularly curious to see how it turns out if you can get it reversed so the bugnet works in hammock mode too. That would be a real killer design for me, something I could see carrying on a lot of trips, especially if the weight and bulk aren't too bad.

MedicineMan
04-30-2012, 15:59
Yes, Mac give us some prospective weights...maybe with some different material combos.

Also was thinking on the drive home this morning about two sleeves left and right about 4 inches long near the head area on both--to hold a POLE MOD---keep the material off the face when bivi-ing.
Or cut a piece of willow and do the same and not fool with carry the cf pole.

OK, so I get it you like the 9 foot length---but why? I see it is comfortable bacause of the width but I HATE my feet hanging over the edge; I think a lot of us do, and that is the reason the foot box mod had been put on a lot of gathered end hammocks. SO, will different sized models be available. Personally I'd take a foot longer one and suffer the weight if that keeps or helps keep my legs in the hammock.

MacEntyre
04-30-2012, 20:31
I'm particularly curious to see how it turns out if you can get it reversed so the bugnet works in hammock mode too. That would be a real killer design for me, something I could see carrying on a lot of trips, especially if the weight and bulk aren't too bad.
If you are not too heavy, it will work just fine... I am over 200 lbs and I use a single layer 1.1 hammock often.

The problem will be getting into it... Thing1 and I figured that you would be better off if you stood beside the hammock and put the opening between the layers over your head... then sit on the side that has no window.

Yes, Mac give us some prospective weights...maybe with some different material combos.
It will be a bit more than a pound... will know exactly when I make one using two layers of 1.1 ropstop.

Also was thinking ...a POLE MOD---keep the material off the face when bivi-ing.
2New2Hang already suggested that. There is not much material, so it would only be a little above your face. It's worth a try, though.

OK, so I get it you like the 9 foot length---but why?
The production hammock will be 10' long. It's short so that there is not a huge amount of excess material in bivvy mode. There is easily room for your pack in there with you!

jloden
04-30-2012, 20:48
If you are not too heavy, it will work just fine... I am over 200 lbs and I use a single layer 1.1 hammock often.

The problem will be getting into it... Thing1 and I figured that you would be better off if you stood beside the hammock and put the opening between the layers over your head... then sit on the side that has no window.

I'm only around 165lbs so weight shouldn't be a problem with a single layer of 1.1 I don't think.

That all sounds pretty good so far, keep us posted! :thumbup:

born2roam
05-01-2012, 02:54
Marked to watch later but men, I love the idea!

Now to use that too as a swagroll/gearskin backpack, tree huggers for backpack straps, whoopies for tying and made of mithrill... no .... anyway, great idea and will happily watch and rewatch it....

Grtz Johan

MacEntyre
05-01-2012, 05:13
Personally I'd take a foot longer one and suffer the weight if that keeps or helps keep my legs in the hammock.
Narrow hammocks have little center-gather, or none at all. One can be comfortable lying on slightly less diagonal than you might be used to using, particularly when hung with less sag, or tighter suspension. It is not necessary to send your feet overboard. You find this effect in Speer Hammocks, Switchbacks and Slowhike's DIY hammock.

Nonetheless, I'll make the Survival Hammock a foot longer.

I'll also offer a couple of suspension options. I figured out how to use a short Amsteel strap, and rig it so it is recoverable after you ungather the hammock.

More news toward the end of the week!

- MacEntyre

Redoleary
05-01-2012, 06:08
Nicely done Mac.

born2roam
05-01-2012, 08:49
Watched it and loved it.....thanks MacEntyre!

Orange Rescue Me Survival colour option instead of black?

Grtz Johan

MacEntyre
05-01-2012, 11:48
Watched it and loved it.....thanks MacEntyre!
You are entyrely welcome!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Orange Rescue Me Survival colour option instead of black?

I'll do any color that I do not stock, for an additional $20.

Sorry to have to do that... sure wish I could afford a bunch of rolls of fabric in lots of fancy colors!

- MacEntyre, the Henry Ford of hammock makers :lol:

MuseJr
05-02-2012, 00:35
Nice idea Mac. I like the option of crawling inside or sleeping on top of it.

To keep the netting off your face, could you sew a loop of material in the corner of the netting? (instead of pole sleeves) You could use it with trekking poles on the ground or tie off to the tarp ridge line if you crawl inside in hammock mode.

MedicineMan
05-02-2012, 03:57
'tie off to the tarp ridge line ' very smart and that'll work when in hammock mode
and in ground mode a string up to a branch could work to keep it off the face too.

MacEntyre
05-02-2012, 05:26
That's nice and simple... a grosgrain loop in the center of the upper edge of the noseeum window. Good idea!

fourdog
05-02-2012, 08:13
Good start Mac !

I think if you make the bug net window larger as the traditional "Mors Scarf"
has and also add some tabs for staking to use as a bivy bag your well on your way to a winner.

Adding the foot to a 10' hammock would also a good choice.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

MacEntyre
05-02-2012, 08:29
I think if you make the bug net window larger as the traditional "Mors Scarf"
has...
Do you mean closer to full width of the hammock? How much wider would you suggest?

Currently it is 18" x 30" with 12" of nylon between the noseeum and the hammock edge. I kept it 12" off the edge because I didn't want the stresses associated with the edge to be directly on the noseeum. However, with the openings on both sides, that is probably not a real issue.

...add some tabs for staking to use as a bivy bag.
Done!

Adding the foot to a 10' hammock would also a good choice.

Done! Thanks!

The single grosgrain loop at the top edge of the noseeum, for suspending the net to the tarp or hammock ridgeline, plus these suggestions, keeps the Survival Hammock simple, but functional in three modes. I can't wait to test it in "bugnet hammock" mode, with the noseeum suspended from the hammock ridgeline!

I'll make one today and post another video.

- MacEntyre

sargevining
05-02-2012, 09:49
I can see a "Survival System" consisting of a Molly Mac Pack with a pocket for a pad as back support and a Survival Hammock in snake skins lashed to the sides and bottom of the pack panel in a "U" shape. Toss in a First Aid Pouch on one shoulder strap, and a Survival Kit Pouch on the other and you've got a whole package.

gospidey
05-02-2012, 11:05
Wow that is amazing. The people on this forum never stop innovating. You all sure make a slow day at work go faster! :)

sargevining
05-02-2012, 11:22
How about some loops or a channel along the sides so that it can be used as an improvised stretcher?

MacEntyre
05-02-2012, 17:21
How about some loops or a channel along the sides so that it can be used as an improvised stretcher?
How about instead just hang it tight underneath a pole? Any hammock can be a stretcher that way!

fourdog
05-03-2012, 08:03
Mac;
The one that Mors has the skeeter net at 14" x 26" wide.

Also you just make the side opening large anuff to crawl in between the layers
for bug protection.
Slipe a pad in for insulation.

When Stuart of Adventure Ltd makes he's and uses in he's courses for jungle survail in Borno he adds the sleeve as you have and as a Tai hammock and just uses a double layer of para cord wraped once around the tree and tied with a bow knot.

Theres ties , stake loups in the four corners.

When used as litter as you discriped make sure the pole is at least long anuff so you can have two people on each end or four porters.

Litter bearing is rely hard work !!!

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

nothermark
05-03-2012, 10:21
wearable stove? Try a campfire!

Very interesting idea. Now I am curious to see what the original scarf looked like. I really love the ideas that come up here. Mac's execution looks flawless. Thanks!!

brazenatl
05-03-2012, 11:05
Is it possible or even comfortable, to use it as a bivy (get between the 2 layers for bug protection) while set up in hammock mode?

MacEntyre
05-03-2012, 14:12
Is it possible or even comfortable, to use it as a bivy (get between the 2 layers for bug protection) while set up in hammock mode?
I'm confident that this "bugnet hammock" mode will work just fine.

I wish I were able to demonstrate this sooner... alas, I will not be able to make Survival Hammock that's all 1.1 ripstop until Tuesday. Then I will report the weight, and post a video demonstrating the use of the Survival Hammock in all three modes: Hammock, Bivvy, and Bugnet Hammock.

MacEntyre
05-09-2012, 15:34
I will not be able to make Survival Hammock that's all 1.1 ripstop until Tuesday. Then I will report the weight, and post a video demonstrating the use of the Survival Hammock in all three modes: Hammock, Bivvy, and Bugnet Hammock.
Well, I made one, but it'a raining buckets, so the video will have to wait another day. :cool:

The 10' Survival Hammock in 1.1 ripstop, with loops in the corners and on the bugnet, without suspension, tips the scales at 14.3 oz. :)

So, with Whoopie Slings, it will be less than a pound! :thumbup:

- MacEntyre

MuseJr
05-10-2012, 02:28
Nice Mac. Now I just need to lose 30lbs so I can crawl inside one and use it as a hammock... I might just have to get one for inspiration. :)

MacEntyre
05-10-2012, 03:28
Nice Mac. Now I just need to lose 30lbs so I can crawl inside one and use it as a hammock...
Ha ha! Don't crawl inside... just use it as a double layer hammock.

Or, I could make one out of 1.9 oz ripstop for you!

- MacEntyre

fourdog
05-10-2012, 11:13
Sounds great Mac !
Looking forward to the video.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

lilricky
05-10-2012, 11:59
Was anyone else thinking, wow, part bivy, part hammock, part burqa? :)

MedicineMan
05-10-2012, 15:45
Hammocks that are sharia law complient..not that is FORWARD thinking HA HA! Even I'm laughing.

sargevining
05-10-2012, 17:04
Dude;

Add zippers to it and you'd have something like this:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52543

I'd love to see something like that designed to attached to the Molly Mac Pack

MacEntyre
05-11-2012, 11:21
I'd love to see something like that designed to attached to the Molly Mac Pack

That's been suggested several times. If someone could tell me why the pack should transform into a hammock, I might be more interested.

- MacEntyre, perplexed :confused:

P.S. I tried the Survival Hammock in "bugnet mode" and it works very well! Video soon!

sargevining
05-11-2012, 12:46
That's been suggested several times. If someone could tell me why the pack should transform into a hammock, I might be more interested.

- MacEntyre, perplexed :confused:

P.S. I tried the Survival Hammock in "bugnet mode" and it works very well! Video soon!

As a product, I doubt that it would sell well to the Hammock Camping community.

As a piece of survival gear it has merit. Marketed as a delux Bug Out Bag that serves the need for carriage and shelter wihtout additional equipment, while being adaptable by accepting other MOLLE gear, I think it would do well.

MuseJr
05-12-2012, 06:06
Ha ha! Don't crawl inside... just use it as a double layer hammock.

Or, I could make one out of 1.9 oz ripstop for you!

- MacEntyre

1.1/1.9 - That might be something I could do. Let me see what I can come up with. I will let you know when I have some extra cash.

Les Rust
05-12-2012, 06:49
Great Job, Mac. Looking forward to the videos. I had not caught this thread earlier, but I was thinking, too, about attaching to a tarp ridgeline to make it a bug net hammock; then I see that the innovative folks on HF had already struck with that one. Eager to see further development.

MacEntyre
05-13-2012, 17:16
Ok, here is a Molly Mac Gear Mother's Day VIDEO:
4 Uses for Survival Hammock (http://youtu.be/4-xNp9XVllg).

4-xNp9XVllg

You can get this 10' hammock with two options:

Option A: 52" wide; or 60" wide

Option B: 1.1 oz ripstop for both layers; or 1.9 oz ripstop for bottom layer and 1.1 oz ripstop for noseeum window layer.

With those options, we can make it for hangers large and small!

- MacEntyre