PDA

View Full Version : How to use an UQP?

Stormstaff
04-30-2012, 11:24
Do I just hook the shockcord to the hammock suspension and snug the cordlocs until the UQP snugs up to the hammock?

Thanks!

Kirk

LFCRed
04-30-2012, 11:40
what does UQP stand for?

MT
04-30-2012, 11:45
what does UQP stand for?

Under Quilt Protector. A piece of light fabric to block the wind.

MT
04-30-2012, 11:52
Do I just hook the shockcord to the hammock suspension and snug the cordlocs until the UQP smuts up to the hammock?

Thanks!

Kirk

I have the ZQ UQP. I found it a bit long for my hammock so I tied a knot in the shock cord ends, to make it about the right size.Then I wrapped them around the ends of my hammock. Then I used the cord locks in the middle to make the final adjustments.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but this works for me.

Sidewinder
04-30-2012, 15:57
Depends on the length of the hammock. For my 11 footers I tie the shock cord around the whipping at each end of the hammock. For shorter hammock, I tie the cord to the suspension.

Basically snug up the cord lock until it comes up to the hammock. My UQP is built large so I sometimes turn it into a sock by clipping together the edges.

S

Stormstaff
04-30-2012, 21:41
I was trying it on my Dangerbird 60 this last weekend.

Any pics? I'm having a hard time visualizing it.

MedicineMan
04-30-2012, 22:08
The extra length of the 2Q/ZQ UQP is sweet when you need to accomodate a really thick think 0 rated underquilt. I've already used the UDP on a regular DangerBird--its a perfect match.

Sidewinder
05-01-2012, 00:31

Here are some...

sturgeon
06-28-2012, 18:07
Here are some...

That thing is huge!

Oh, now I went back and read your earlier post and I see you got it built custom in a large size.... Very cool.
Renders tarp doors and BBO-type covers obsolete!

invisiblejules
06-28-2012, 19:14
Would a UQP be able to serve as the suspension for an underquilt? In other words, would I be able to lay an open sleeping bag or poncho liner inside and have it stay in the right place?

zukiguy
06-28-2012, 20:07
I'm hoping to modify mine to hold up a chunk of thermoflect blanket (basically a thick space blanket). This will make a simplistic warm weather UQ.

I doubt it would hold an UQ in place and definitely not something as heavy as a sleeping bag without attaching it at the edges somehow.

Sidewinder
06-29-2012, 00:41
Would a UQP be able to serve as the suspension for an underquilt? In other words, would I be able to lay an open sleeping bag or poncho liner inside and have it stay in the right place?

No, I don't think it would work too well for that. You get a bunch of sag and gaps. You'd be cold.

S

raiffnuke
06-29-2012, 06:13

This photo shows my UQP on a WBBB over a 20F HG Phoenix UQ. I hope it helps.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32941&d=1330997939

Banjoman
06-29-2012, 17:11
I'm interested in trying to make the uqp hold a sleeping bag too. I haven't thought about it much, but if you replaced the stock shock cord with heavier duty stuff you'd probably be almost there. You also might have to clip the sides to the sides of the hammock.

sunshower
09-11-2012, 15:28

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32941&d=1330997939
which type of material did you get?

rhjanes
09-11-2012, 21:24

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32941&d=1330997939and which UQP is that?

unm1136
09-27-2012, 14:40
I just got mine set up in a way that I hope I really like it.

I put my quilt on the hammock, and brought one end of the UQP together around the gather for the hammock. I ran a small cable tie through the gossgain ribbon on that end and fastened it. I repeated it with the other side. I used the shock cord on the ends to snug them up, and tied them off. Then I snugged up the sides with the shock cord and barrel lock. I then had a loop of shock cord that hung down, and a tight UQP on the hammock. I ran the shock cord to the hammock's tie out and put it through the ring on the tie out, and just hitched it there.

I played with it for a few minutes, and now when the hammock pulls are set out the UQP comes with it. They stay together quite well. I pulled them out straight and asym. The whole package stays together so well that I was able to stuff the whole shebang into the bishop bag that came with the hammock. It is quite stuffed,and I think a Kifaru 5 string stuff sack will be in order here. I really like this.

pat

gunner76
09-27-2012, 20:32
I got one I am hoping to use this weekend.

Boon Booni
10-05-2012, 16:15
Here are some...

I like what you did there. How much larger is that over stock?

The Pooka MacPhellimey
10-06-2012, 06:21
Depends on the length of the hammock. For my 11 footers I tie the shock cord around the whipping at each end of the hammock. For shorter hammock, I tie the cord to the suspension.

Basically snug up the cord lock until it comes up to the hammock. My UQP is built large so I sometimes turn it into a sock by clipping together the edges.

S

That's a great idea.
I chatted with the 2Q ZQ folks a while back ( and aren't they the nicest people ever?) about a custom idea I had.
Your UQP-Sock might be a way better solution.

I might put a zip along one edge and use it like a Hennessy style cat cape. ( I wear a hat so I don't need a hood)

Can I ask you a few questions?

What are the dimensions of yours when laid out flat?

What does it weigh?

Does it make you a little warmer even when wind isn't a factor?

What fabric did you use, breathable or not?

Any vapour issues?

Thanks.

Take care.