02-01-2007, 12:50
Any one tried one of these yet?

http://pages.citebite.com/e9x5a9j9bwlj
http://www.mosquitohammock.com/bathammock.html

Looks interesting....

Coffee
02-01-2007, 13:05
It does look interesting.

The Bat Hammock is designed to hang from one single attach point about 2 meters above the hammock. You can either climb into it, or you can get in on the ground and then pull yourself into the air with a rope and pulley. The Bat Hammock is made with extremely high stress Nylon and 1/4" closed cell foam sewn into the hammock to maintain form and add comfort during sleep

I don't think I like the 2 meter overhead brand hanging. Kind of interesting that he sewn in a ccp to stop the confection heat loss.

hangnout
02-01-2007, 13:10
Could get interesting if you forget your 2 meters up when nature calls in the middle of the night........:eek:

blackbishop351
02-01-2007, 13:13
Interesting idea...definitely thinking outside the box.

I'd be a little concerned about the availability of suitable limbs to hang from, though. You can find trees with higher limbs that are plenty strong, but you'd need one to be pretty horizontal so you could get away from the trunk. Don't want to be swinging into the tree all night! Anyway, it'd have to be a pretty big tree to have limbs like that.

Looks like an interesting hang. I think the hammock could be made lighter with some different materials, maybe even lighter than the normal two-support setup. As I said above though, the pitching options would be more limited I think.

Redtail
02-01-2007, 13:16
I think the pad also keeps it rigid. I just thought the single overhead attach point was neat, something I hadn't seen before. Kinda like a hammock chair. Like the batman colors too.

hangnout
02-01-2007, 13:28
I bet you could eliminate the single attachment, shorten the webbing, run ropes in the conventional style, and make a gearskin pack hammock??????

Coffee
02-01-2007, 13:33
Now that I think about it, kind of reminds me of cedar tree's pack hammock (http://www.thepacka.com/strappack/index.html).

Like you guys said, I like the outside the box thinking. A gearskin hammock sounds intreging. I think it could work for short and light trips. I don't know if I would go the route on long trips. I wonder how much comfort you would be giving up to save weight.

Redtail
02-01-2007, 13:39
It's about time someone invented a hammock/tarp/backpack/sleeping bag/pad. :D

Coffee
02-01-2007, 13:45
It's about time someone invented a hammock/tarp/backpack/sleeping bag/pad. :D

A giant CCF pad box sauna box that hangs from the trees. Now that could be a canidate for the homemade gear contest at trail days. Or the Useless gear contest. I'm not quite sure which.:rolleyes:

hangnout
02-01-2007, 13:45
Now that I think about it, kind of reminds me of cedar tree's pack hammock (http://www.thepacka.com/strappack/index.html).

Yea, that's the general idea. The Bat hammock is "cleaned" up a lot with less straps going to support the weight. I envisioned something more like a Moonbow gearskin if that makes sense.

blackbishop351
02-01-2007, 14:15
Yea, that's the general idea. The Bat hammock is "cleaned" up a lot with less straps going to support the weight. I envisioned something more like a Moonbow gearskin if that makes sense.

The similarities are definitely there, but I think something wide enough to use as a hammock would be pretty ineffective as a pack. The narrow width of the gearskin (speaking from experience with my homemade one) is a lot of what makes it such a flexible system.

Hana Hanger
02-01-2007, 14:27
I think this is for true tree huggers right? This would make a great rescue sling.
Bears can climb trees...he must be referring to a Grizzly who would simply knock the tree down :D

hangnout
02-01-2007, 14:47
The similarities are definitely there, but I think something wide enough to use as a hammock would be pretty ineffective as a pack. The narrow width of the gearskin (speaking from experience with my homemade one) is a lot of what makes it such a flexible system

The link below shows the gearskin integrated with tarps, bivy, tents but not a hammock. Something like this would be cool with a hammock using the gearskin. I had thought about this in the past and came up with a number of issues why not to do it. The Bat hammock with integral foam just started the "what ifs" again, even if it my not be practical:D

http://moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1Custom%20packs/Powerpacks/1powerpac.html

blackbishop351
02-01-2007, 15:15
The link below shows the gearskin integrated with tarps, bivy, tents but not a hammock. Something like this would be cool with a hammock using the gearskin. I had thought about this in the past and came up with a number of issues why not to do it. The Bat hammock with integral foam just started the "what ifs" again, even if it my not be practical:D

http://moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1Custom%20packs/Powerpacks/1powerpac.html

Oh, I understand believe me! My gears are turning all the time... :p

For those who like pads, there might be something to the idea...integrate a homemade hammock and a CCF pad into a gearskin, so the pack and pad would serve as bottom insulation...I'm just really liking the underquilt idea better!

Coffee
02-01-2007, 15:24
Oh, I understand believe me! My gears are turning all the time... :p

For those who like pads, there might be something to the idea...integrate a homemade hammock and a CCF pad into a gearskin, so the pack and pad would serve as bottom insulation...I'm just really liking the underquilt idea better!

That's something I may have to try out. I could sew netting to the innside of the gearskin and incert the ccp there. It would give a really good frame to the pack. It would also solve the issue of how I was going to pack the pad. The only issue would be the width. I would have to have some sort of wing system.

Ok I really have issues now. It is going to be a week or so before I get my gearskin and I am already thinking about ways to mod it.:eek:

blackbishop351
02-01-2007, 15:27
That's something I may have to try out. I could sew netting to the innside of the gearskin and incert the ccp there. It would give a really good frame to the pack. It would also solve the issue of how I was going to pack the pad. The only issue would be the width. I would have to have some sort of wing system.

Ok I really have issues now. It is going to be a week or so before I get my gearskin and I am already thinking about ways to mod it.:eek:

I think the idea with a custom pack is to have THEM do the mods BEFORE they send it to you... :p

TheQueen
03-01-2007, 10:33
Might be good for climbers!

blackbishop351
03-01-2007, 11:07
Might be good for climbers!

Climbers have been using slings like that for a while...they're heavier-duty though...and just plain heavier :p

slowhike
03-01-2007, 16:50
i tried a DIY hammock that had webbing running down both sides of the hammock that came together at the tree.
the hammock was only about 6' long, so it worked a lot like the sling you have probably seen them carry a dolphin in.
BIG TIME SHOULDER SQUEEZE!!!
the conclusion i came to was that this kind of hammock (though it allowed you to lay flat) would have to have two structural spreader bars to be comfortable.
i can't help but believe the bat hammock would be the same.
the bat does have a little length in the ropes that would give a little bit of spreadability, but i still wonder if you still wouldn't get major shoulder squeeze.

blackbishop351
03-01-2007, 17:43
i tried a DIY hammock that had webbing running down both sides of the hammock that came together at the tree.
the hammock was only about 6' long, so it worked a lot like the sling you have probably seen them carry a dolphin in.
BIG TIME SHOULDER SQUEEZE!!!
the conclusion i came to was that this kind of hammock (though it allowed you to lay flat) would have to have two structural spreader bars to be comfortable.
i can't help but believe the bat hammock would be the same.
the bat does have a little length in the ropes that would give a little bit of spreadability, but i still wonder if you still wouldn't get major shoulder squeeze.

Shoulder squeeze definitely looks like a problem with that design. But you could just add a couple of your trek pole pockets, Tim! Problem solved! :D

slowhike
03-01-2007, 20:46
Shoulder squeeze definitely looks like a problem with that design. But you could just add a couple of your trek pole pockets, Tim! Problem solved! :D

i believe we're talking about more force than you would want to put on trekking poles.
that's different than just spreading the top edges of a top entry hammock.

blackbishop351
03-01-2007, 22:03
i believe we're talking about more force than you would want to put on trekking poles.
that's different than just spreading the top edges of a top entry hammock.

That was a joke :p Seriously, though, I think the poles could take it...especially considering they'd likely be almost completely collapsed anyway. You could probably make a stronger version of your pockets too, using some heavier material (Kevlar?) and rated cord. Yknow. Now that you've got me thinking about it :p

slowhike
03-01-2007, 22:08
That was a joke :p Seriously, though, I think the poles could take it...especially considering they'd likely be almost completely collapsed anyway. You could probably make a stronger version of your pockets too, using some heavier material (Kevlar?) and rated cord. Yknow. Now that you've got me thinking about it :p

go for it. you may be coming up the flat laying hammock that JRB is getting ready to show.
wouldn't that be something:eek:

blackbishop351
03-01-2007, 22:14
go for it. you may be coming up the flat laying hammock that JRB is getting ready to show.
wouldn't that be something:eek:

Nah...I'm nowhere near creative enough to come up with a Jacks idea on my own. :eek:

slowhike
03-01-2007, 22:17
Nah...I'm nowhere near creative enough to come up with a Jacks idea on my own. :eek:

ya never know!

blackie
03-04-2007, 19:03
it looks like a nice fair weather hammock..but i wonder how it would do in a down pour...

slowhike
03-04-2007, 21:56
it looks like a nice fair weather hammock..but i wonder how it would do in a down pour...

yeah, i have wondered how you do a tap over that one.

blackbishop351
03-04-2007, 23:03
yeah, i have wondered how you do a tap over that one.

Something like a teepee would work...isn't there a UL company that makes a shelter like that for thrus? Can't remember the name right now...

Just Jeff
03-04-2007, 23:19
There are a few - I think the Black Diamond MegaMid is one.

neo
11-27-2007, 11:57
it looks like climbers have found a use for the bat hammock:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

warbonnetguy
11-27-2007, 21:35
it looks like climbers have found a use for the bat hammock:cool: neo

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

the bat hammock was origionally invented by climber warren harding. he used it on his historic first ascent of the nose on el cap. the pika parasite hammock is an almost exact copy, and claytors bat hammock is a little different, but has the exact same name, google bat hammock, someone was selling an origional on craigs list.

the craigs list one must have sold, this one tells about it, but there's no pic.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/classifieds/Detailed/1099.html