PDA

View Full Version : how much pad for legs?

BillyBob58
07-29-2008, 13:44
In this scorching weather, it is strange to be thinking of how to keep warm. But we are planning for our annual trip to the Wyoming Mountains 2nd week of Sept. I usually go a week earlier, and the coldest temp I have seen so far is 15*F. I would say low 20s are frequent, with nothing warmer than 30s to low 40s if there is a heatwave.

So, I may take a double bottom hammock with pads only (undecided, may go with PeaPod, depending on which hammock I take), but my step son will go with pads only for sure, to save money more than any other reason, used in a Claytor No Net .

Some folks here have slept in really cold temps using a 1/2 or 3/4 length UQ, and using a pad for the legs. So what I'm wondering is: those that have used pads only for leg warmth( example: Cannibal), how much CCF pad would you say is needed for 15*F? The impression I got is that not as much pad was needed down low as was needed from the butt up. So I'm thinking go with at least a 1" pad( maybe a little thicker, plus wide enough) for the upper body, and something a good bit thinner for below. But how thick is thick enough for legs and feet?

Any ideas?

(OOPS, I guess I should have put this under "pads". Oh well, move thread if needed)

slowhike
07-29-2008, 21:52
I haven't used a "ccf pad only" in much colder weather than about 30°f, so I can't say much about that.
I believe it was a RidgeRest Delux, full length. I used that & a quilt on top, sleeping in some of my insulated clothes. That seamed to work fine.

But when you talk about using two different pads for torso & legs, I have to wonder how you will be able to keep them in place.

Schneiderlein
07-30-2008, 06:49
I use a Z-Rest as a pack frame and for my legs with a 3/4 UQ. The coldest I have gone with this combination was 28 F, I believe. I think I could go much colder with it, but the South Carolina weather does not give me many opportunities to try...

If you want to save weight and bulk, maybe some Primaloft or down booties would be worth considering.

BillyBob58
07-30-2008, 07:35
I use a Z-Rest as a pack frame and for my legs with a 3/4 UQ. The coldest I have gone with this combination was 28 F, I believe. I think I could go much colder with it, but the South Carolina weather does not give me many opportunities to try...

If you want to save weight and bulk, maybe some Primaloft or down booties would be worth considering.

Yes, that gives me an idea. As the Z-rest is not very thick ( 3/8, 5/8 ?) and I guess, like a ridgerest, not full thickness in all areas? But still it was plenty good for lower legs to at least 28*F for you.

I remember Cannibal slept to really cold temps with Warbonnet's short UQ design ( teens, single digits?), but I can't remember what he had under his legs. But it seems apparent that you need a good bit less than under your torso.

I think, for one thing, you may compress your bag/quilt foot-box less than you do under your torso, picking up some help for the pad in that way. Just a guess.

GrizzlyAdams
07-30-2008, 07:57
Yes, that gives me an idea. As the Z-rest is not very thick ( 3/8, 5/8 ?) and I guess, like a ridgerest, not full thickness in all areas? But still it was plenty good for lower legs to at least 28*F for you.

I remember Cannibal slept to really cold temps with Warbonnet's short UQ design ( teens, single digits?), but I can't remember what he had under his legs. But it seems apparent that you need a good bit less than under your torso.

I think, for one thing, you may compress your bag/quilt foot-box less than you do under your torso, picking up some help for the pad in that way. Just a guess.

Cannibal put his pack---ULA Catalyst---under his legs. And went below zero, thereby earning an Honorary Zero Hero award from me, a link to which he proudly displays in his signature line.

that is, when he is posting. It's been a long time since we've heard from him. Oddly the HF member's page for him doesn't display when last he was on.... :confused:

Grizz

angrysparrow
07-30-2008, 08:02

I did some digging around, and I think this is the thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2682) you're looking for. And as Grizz says, he used his pack as insulation. He did have a 1/8" pad as a backup, though.

angrysparrow
07-30-2008, 08:04
that is, when he is posting. It's been a long time since we've heard from him. Oddly the HF member's page for him doesn't display when last he was on.... :confused:

Cannibal - Last Activity: 06-29-2008 18:14

Youngblood
07-30-2008, 08:09
I haven't used a "ccf pad only" in much colder weather than about 30°f, so I can't say much about that.
I believe it was a RidgeRest Delux, full length. I used that & a quilt on top, sleeping in some of my insulated clothes. That seamed to work fine.

But when you talk about using two different pads for torso & legs, I have to wonder how you will be able to keep them in place.

I have done that down into the teens. What I recall was when I stacked different pads using the segmented pad extenders, I could use a combination of full length and 2/3 length pads. But my feet would get cold unless I stuck small pieces of ccf pad in my footbox for them. What I'm thinking is my legs are less sensitive, but not so much my feet. What I recall in particular at the moment, was adding a 2/3 piece of ccf pad to a full length Thermarest pad.

The small pads in the footbox isn't a bad approach when it starts getting really cold. I has one huge advantage with most any insulation scheme and that is it moves with your feet so you don't have to warm up and entirely new section of insulation when you move your feet. That really hit home when I tested large area snugfit style underquilts with more insulation down into the teens. You can reposition and move from a diagonal with your feet on the left to a diagonal with your feet on the right... but when you move, that insulation you move to is pretty dang cold until you warm it up. It is like moving to the cold side of a bed after you have warmed up a spot, you will notice the difference.

slowhike
08-02-2008, 18:45
The small pads in the footbox isn't a bad approach when it starts getting really cold. I has one huge advantage with most any insulation scheme and that is it moves with your feet so you don't have to warm up and entirely new section of insulation when you move your feet. That really hit home when I tested large area snugfit style underquilts with more insulation down into the teens. You can reposition and move from a diagonal with your feet on the left to a diagonal with your feet on the right... but when you move, that insulation you move to is pretty dang cold until you warm it up. It is like moving to the cold side of a bed after you have warmed up a spot, you will notice the difference.

That's not a bad idea Dave! Have you thought about sewing a sleeve into the bottom of the foot box for inserting a ccf pad?
I just may do that!

gnome
08-02-2008, 22:39
my quilt had a fairly deep foot pocket so needs little inder the legs (nanatuk) my under quilt is a nanatuk with the footbx removed, it makes about a 3/4 uq, whic is plenty with the oq foot box. I have never had to use any additional padding! gnome

Reeper
08-26-2008, 20:27
I've used my Thermarest Pro4 and Montbell 15 deg down bag down to 25 deg. and was very warm top and bottom. I'm hoping for colder temps this winter.

Cannibal
08-26-2008, 20:52
So what I'm wondering is: those that have used pads only for leg warmth( example: Cannibal)

Hey, what'd I do? :p

Cannibal put his pack---ULA Catalyst---under his legs. And went below zero, thereby earning an Honorary Zero Hero award from me, a link to which he proudly displays in his signature line.

that is, when he is posting. It's been a long time since we've heard from him. Oddly the HF member's page for him doesn't display when last he was on.... :confused:Grizz

Cannibal -
Last Activity: 06-29-2008 18:14

Aww, you guys missed me. Bet you're rethinking that now. :D

Side story about the pack under the legs. I had one bad night early on and as slowhike once cautioned about, my pack was soaking wet. I knew it wouldn't dry and was concerned about staying warm that night. Yes, I decided to be brave instead of intelligent and didn't bring a pad to Springer. :rolleyes: I had a brain-fart and pulled the back padding out of the pack and used it. I believe it is open cell 1/4"; it worked. I wouldn't say I was warm, but I slept. I really don't think the legs need as much insulation as long as your core is pumpin warm juice to the legs.

slowhike
08-26-2008, 21:07
I really don't think the legs need as much insulation as long as your core is pumpin warm juice to the legs.

I believe you're right, but... if you tend to get cold feet, like I do, you may want to keep a little more insulation under (& around) the legs.
One thing I have decided is that when it's cold enough that I may start to have cold feet, warm footwear isn't all that's involved.
My feet do better if my legs are well insulated too (& of course the rest of the bod, including the head). Think about the warm blood flowing through the legs to supply heat, etc to the feet. Even if the legs don't really feel cold, maybe just slightly cool, the blood is loosing heat before it gets to the feet.
Just a thought<G>.

Peter_pan
08-26-2008, 21:21
fwiw, all those of you who cite moving around in the hammock will probably wake up sooner or later from cold heels when they slide off or partially off the sit pad under the feet approach.... risks increase as temps drop.... getting by with this approach above 55 is very different at 30,20, and below....ymmv

pan

please disregard lack of capitals.... left arm all trussed up for the next 4-6 weeks.

slowhike
08-26-2008, 21:23
pan

please disregard lack of capitals.... left arm all trussed up for the next 4-6 weeks.

Hope the healing goes well Pan.