PDA

View Full Version : Test hang of BIAS WW and HG Phoenix

QiWiz
05-06-2012, 13:21
Got in the first two of three purchases to get back into hanging. Just waiting on my tarp now. Any way, did a test hang last night in the backyard with lows about 45 degrees. Got to see the "Super MOON" as it was a clear night. Did not even need the headlamp to set up or a tarp in the conditions I had. Some brief comments:

I got the Weight Weenie hammock from BIAS and the only modifications I've made so far were to add Dutch clips on the tree straps, whoopies with toggles, a fixed ridge line, and a double-ended stow bag from JRB. Very comfortable and easy to set up. The hammock with all the suspension components is 14 oz.

I also got my new Phoenix UQ just in time to use it as well. Got the 40 degree model with 1 oz overstuff, as I'm planning to use it to temps a bit colder than 40. Also easy to attach and adjust. I think I will not need the line lock adjusters at all, so I've removed those cords, leaving a weight of 13.7 oz.

I was toasty warm and slept like a babe, using a bit of ccf under my feet and my JRB Shenandoah quilt as a TQ. Butt In A Sling and HammockGear make great products. In both cases, workmanship was excellent and I'm not concerned about suitability or durability after inspection and testing. Now I'm really looking forward to a real trip (Grayson Highlands over Memorial Day weekend, should be sweet).

2Tall
05-06-2012, 13:29
I got my 40° UQ down to 30° no prob. Its made with M50 though. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Your Tarp pitch helps alot too. Congrats on the gear! Some nice pices you have there.

spaceweaseal
05-06-2012, 14:52
I did the same thing last night.
I also was in a BIAS WW DL and was using my 40* phoenix with a Golite 1 season quilt.
It only got down to 65* and I woke up so hot that I had to shed the TQ for a poncho liner and i even took the Phoenix off a hour later.

dragon360
05-06-2012, 15:22
Great gear pickups there QiWiz. Those are going to give you years of good times!

lazy river road
05-06-2012, 15:38
I got my 40° UQ down to 30° no prob. Its made with M50 though. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Your Tarp pitch helps alot too. Congrats on the gear! Some nice pices you have there.

I as well got down to the low thirties in my 40 rated phoenix no overstuff and had a bit of a chill added some clothing and was toasty warm. I had mine made of 7D.

Material does make some difference because some material is more or less breathable as well as some material deflects wind better then others. Off hand I do not know the comparison between 1.1 M50 7D and M55 in regards to wind protection. Thats when I call stormcrow. He know all that technical stuff and knows his fabrics well.

2new2hang
05-06-2012, 19:24
Nice purchase QiWiz! I just recently did a quick video of rhe BIAS Weight Weenie. Awesome hammock. Light too!