PDA

View Full Version : Snakeskins for JH

Kshatriya
08-01-2008, 19:37
Which snakeskins best fit the Claytor JH? I bought the Hennesey "Snakeskins 3", but they have already ripped open, because there's too much fabric at the ends of the hammock.

Should I order the "Snakeskins 4", or does everyone use something else?

Also, can the JH be set up so that the rainfly and hammock can be collapsed together in a single pair of snakeskins?

rigidpsycho
08-01-2008, 19:38
I would leave them separate. if your tarp is wet and you put them in the skins together then your hammock will get wet as well.

6 feet over
08-01-2008, 19:57
Snake skins are very easy to make (I even made some). I found cheap mesh material at Wal-Mart and made some.

Even if you don't sew, getting someone to hem the ends and make one long seam (I made mine as one, long skin) is easy, and you should be able to find someone to help you.

I also agree that keeping the tarp and hammock in separate skins is the way to go.

Kshatriya
08-01-2008, 20:46
I'd rather purchase pre-made snakeskins instead of making them.

Ramblinrev
08-01-2008, 21:12
Making snake skins is called sewing rehearsal... It's the next step up from stuff sacks because the seams are longer. That's about the only reason people actually make them. That plus if you have scrap fabric lying around you might as well do something with it.

NCPatrick
08-01-2008, 21:35
I can usually find the directions for diy stuff easily, but for some reason can't find the tutorial for them here anymore. Anyone know where the tutorial is?

6 feet over
08-01-2008, 23:03
Making snake skins is called sewing rehearsal... It's the next step up from stuff sacks because the seams are longer. That's about the only reason people actually make them. That plus if you have scrap fabric lying around you might as well do something with it.

Why would you say that? I easily could have bought them (I guess), but making them, I made them exactly as I wanted, as well as sewing practice. :D

I can usually find the directions for diy stuff easily, but for some reason can't find the tutorial for them here anymore. Anyone know where the tutorial is?

I used this post as a starting point to make my latest set of skins: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1408

NCPatrick
08-02-2008, 16:38
Ah. Thank you. Tarp skins, huh? I would never have searched for that...

I added a "snake skins" tag to it, for future searches.

Ramblinrev
08-02-2008, 17:52
[QUOTE=6 feet over;73452]Why would you say that? I easily could have bought them (I guess), but making them, I made them exactly as I wanted, as well as sewing practice. :D

I guess I figure that getting something "exactly as I wanted" is part of the sewing rehearsal. It's part of the design and decision making that goes into making something more complicated. Don't get me wrong. I'm not putting them down. But lets face it, they are a far cry from Griz's structural seam in DMB in terms of things going on at once. Plus I use snake skins to get practice on french seams so when I am making something that people are going to look at the french seams will look decent without a bunch of fringe hanging out... like a guy who hasn't shaved for 6 days. That's all I was saying.

Kshatriya
08-04-2008, 15:54
I still don't know which pre-made snakeskins would fit the JH. :p

NCPatrick
08-05-2008, 07:12
I still don't know which pre-made snakeskins would fit the JH. :p

Oh yeah... you asked a question. ;) Sorry about the hijack. I wish I could help, but don't have any experience with the JH. I think 4's are about as big as you can get, unless you make your own, mentioned above. If 4's don't work I guess you'd have to commission someone to make some bigger for you.

hammer0419
08-26-2008, 16:02
Did the 4's fit?? I am about to purchase a JH and would like to get some skins for it.

bizmarty
06-24-2009, 04:20
Bump :rolleyes:

Would like to know the size of snake skins for this hammock please?

Thanks

soundmanob
08-12-2009, 21:08
Don't know about the HH 4's will work. Guess it would depend if you are using standard strap suspension (Which folds very flat after "loosened) or custom adjustable cinch-strap suspension which has a large gathered area at each end...

Neo said he had headchange4u make his oversize snakeskins on his JH video. Hope he will do me some too... Don't know if it will "Snake-up "the tarp too or not... :)

Hope this helps...

soundmanob
08-12-2009, 21:18
I have the Warbonnet custom cinch strap suspension system (Actually three for three JH) and I absolutely Love It! Do you like to "Swing" back and forth? Seems to last forever with this system. Need to flip over to the bug net side, don't bother untying, just flip over and go for it! Or set it up the reverse if you like with bug netting up and flip to the day hammock side. Makes the JH, the most versatile hammock much more "User Friendly"

soundmanob
08-12-2009, 21:37
Good point about the wet tarp getting JH wet too...
If dry I like the snakeskin idea...
Remember the "snake" doesn't just jump in the bag, it still needs folding and put into stuff sac...

Another option would be to purchase a Double opening Stuff bag (Like for Warbonnet BB) and slide to middle and push in from either end... Comes out easier and packs loose. I think I like this better in concept but haven't tried yet...

ricegravy
08-12-2009, 21:46
Remember the "snake" doesn't just jump in the bag, it still needs folding and put into stuff sac...

My "Snake" always just jumps in the bag.
I keep my tarp in an outside mesh pocket for easy and quick access,
and my hammock just fills in the empty spaces inside my pack.
:D

soundmanob
08-12-2009, 22:03
Sounds like a well-trained "Snake"

I like that idea about the mesh pocket. After adding the adjust cinch strap the hammock fills the stuff sac. (Very well-spent space and $)
Will be on the look-out for one with outside pocket. Sounds like a group-buy opportunity. Everyone w/ a JH will want one... Camo would be good...

Any DIY guys listening? Hmmm?

bizmarty
08-13-2009, 01:33
I would be up for that! GB people? :D

soundmanob
08-13-2009, 08:33
Build it (Include Oversize Snakeskins) and the people will come... :)

Put me down in camo or OD green... A velcro pocket on the opposite side of the mesh, carry strap would be nice too...

Ramblinrev
08-13-2009, 08:43
Cautionary note:

Please be aware that "snakeskin" is a term which Hennessy Hammocks considers to be protected. That is one of the reasons I started refering to the DIY items as Reptilian Derma Layers. A word to the wise. I am not saying Tom Hennessy would take any action. Or that he would succeed if he did. Only that, in the past, he has been known to defend what he conisders to be his protected interests.

ricegravy
08-13-2009, 08:47
Well, I don't know exactly what you two are talking about, but I was refering to stuffing my tarp (in the skins) into the outside mesh pocket of my ULA Catalyst Pack.

Ramblinrev
08-13-2009, 08:49
Well, I don't know exactly what you two are talking about, but I was refering to stuffing my tarp (in the skins) into the outside mesh pocket of my ULA Catalyst Pack.

I was simply calling attention to the use of a term which has proved problematic in the past. That's all.

ricegravy
08-13-2009, 08:53
Cautionary note:

Please be aware that "snakeskin" is a term which Hennessy Hammocks considers to be protected. That is one of the reasons I started refering to the DIY items as Reptilian Derma Layers. A word to the wise. I am not saying Tom Hennessy would take any action. Or that he would succeed if he did. Only that, in the past, he has been known to defend what he conisders to be his protected interests.

Copyright law does not prevent people from talking about an item. Band-Aid is not going to sue us for referring to bandages as Band-Aids. Copyright law only prevents us from marketing an item under the same name.

Ramblinrev
08-13-2009, 09:09
Build it (Include Oversize Snakeskins) and the people will come... :)

Put me down in camo or OD green... A velcro pocket on the opposite side of the mesh, carry strap would be nice too...

I obviously have not made my concern clear. And this will be my last comment on this. If something is built to be sold to others and includes "oversized snakeskins" it has gone beyond using the term in conversation. That's my point.

ricegravy
08-13-2009, 09:27
Oh! Well then we are just talking about two different things. That quote is not from me. I was only describing how I pack my tarp.

When I said
I was refering to bizmarty and soundmanob's conversation.

Ramblinrev
08-13-2009, 09:32
You are correct ricegravy... my concern was voiced in case someone got the idea to build something and let them come. It was not directed at you or anybody in particular. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

soundmanob
08-13-2009, 09:43
Thanks Rev, being new to the field I appreciate the "Heads-Up" Didn't know about past history... Can't say as I blame them, it's so expensive to legally protect products... I think maybe we owe HH for being so innovative and supportive of this forum a measure of respect to not infringe on their copyright name. But when we say it, it is free advertising for them.
Just Tarp or Hammock "Skins" is very generic and works for me...
Got a smile from your term though... :)

Ramblinrev
08-13-2009, 10:13
I think maybe we owe HH for being so innovative and supportive of this forum a measure of respect to not infringe on their copyright name.

hehehe... Well I wouldn't go _that_ far. To my knowledge. I believe the snakeskins are patent protected but I can't find my bag header to check on that.

I like the Hennessy products because I think they are very high quality and they serve _my_ individual needs like no other. His customer service is more than adequate. However I would not place him in the capacity of someone who freely returns to the hammocking community that has supported him. Compare Tom Hennessy to Ed Speer and the Jacks if you want to see the difference.

ricegravy
08-13-2009, 10:44
I would not place him in the capacity of someone who freely returns to the hammocking community that has supported him. Compare Tom Hennessy to Ed Speer and the Jacks if you want to see the difference.

Rev, You are right about Ed Speer. He is a great guy.
Anyone Just attend a Hot Springs Hang (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=1800666&albumId=2173575) to find that out.

PS: Thanks for the SnugFit Ed! :)