PDA

View Full Version : Video Review of DangerBird 72

scubacat
05-11-2012, 15:51
I received order #52 from Randy (PapaSmurf) at DreamHammocks yesterday. Inside the box was a brand new DangerBird 72 and 10 Ti stakes. I did an inaugural run of the DB72 last night. Man, what a great piece of gear.

If you're on the fence about getting one of these, hop off and order one. I think you'll be happy you did.

Curt

P.S. One correction. I mistakenly said the inside layer color is champagne. It's actually burgundy.

xJoBE2ptFxk

J.Andersons
05-11-2012, 16:15
Nice review and seems really nice big universal hammock! Love those big ol hammocks and do not like small ones with cramped feel.

lugnut
05-11-2012, 17:41
dang!! that thing is huge!! i really like the products that our cottage vendors are cranking out. we are turely a lucky community!

nbmorton
05-11-2012, 21:32
Wow.....that thing is amazing!

GT
05-12-2012, 06:25
Very Very Nice! The Cadillac of camping hammocks for sure. Not sure I like the colors though. Looks like the inside of a coffin to me.:lol: But to each their own.

scubacat
05-12-2012, 09:15
Not sure I like the colors though.

Well, it kinda reminds me of a big red velvet cake and I dearly love red velvet cake - makes for happy dreams. ;>) But seriously, I have enough OD/green/dark earth stuff to last a couple of lifetimes so I decided to go for something a little different on the DB. And with 16 colors to choose form, you can pretty much go crazy.

CdnDave
05-12-2012, 10:36
I'm order 53 and my bird is stuck in custom. I have a nightmare about snivel servants resting comfortably in my hammock wearing boots :o

Great review I went out this morning and stood between my trees longingly

CdnDave

scubacat
05-12-2012, 11:49
I'm order 53 and my bird is stuck in custom.

Aw, man - that's a bummer. Hopefully it will only be a few days. The wait will be worth it, though. Soon you'll be hanging in comfort and the way these things are built, you'll still be hanging in comfort in the same DB 30 years from now. ;>)

CdnDave
05-12-2012, 18:59
Should show up on Monday along with my BCUSA tarp

Dave

KSC
05-12-2012, 20:38
Thanks for the review. I recently bought a db72 single layer and used it for the first time last weekend. I love this hammock. It was 19.2*f when I was using mine so I got to try out the overcover. I stayed warm, but I wouldn't want to go much colder without more insulation.

Boomer
05-12-2012, 22:28
Thanks for your review!

chetter72
05-15-2012, 01:27
Wow great review!! And thats a nice Hammock, Big!!! I love that its so big!! I've been looking at these I need an open hammock and I think this might do!! How was it getting in and out? Did the tie outs on the sides get in the way or hinder your entrance exit? Thanks for the review. Happy Hangin!!!

Cali
05-15-2012, 07:28
Great review. I hung in my DB72 (Champagne & Wine) this past weekend, and snoozed like a baby until i woke up to find an armadillo rustling in the bushes next to the hammock. :) I love this hammock, and when I don't need the tarp, I can zip the cover part way down so the sun doesn't wake me up. :) Nice!!!! Thanks PapaSmurf!!!! :)

scubacat
05-15-2012, 14:01
How was it getting in and out? Did the tie outs on the sides get in the way or hinder your entrance exit?

Well, the tieout doesn't seem to cause much problem. Since the piece running between the tabs on the hammock is shock cord, it gives easily if you happen to bring a leg down on it. And since Randy used reflective cord down to the stakes, you can see it in the dark with a little light pretty well.

scubacat
05-23-2012, 08:17
Just posted a field report in the Trip Report section - titled "Matsell Bridge Overnighter with DangerBird".

Curt

SteveJJ
06-17-2012, 18:41
Thanks Scubacat!

Great review and Randy owes you for these flowers! Actually he deserves every bit of it. The DangerBird is as close to my own wants as any have done and I'm not getting mine done quickly at all, and seeing this has me smacking my own head for not ordering sooner. I'm hoping I can get mine soon.

I've just whoopied a tablecloth (90x132 or there abouts) for size comparison and need to put an ARL on it to get the diagonal going, but as is I like the size, and like you, want double layer despite weight (mostly motorcycle camping) for insulation layers and bug-proofness, and some security against ripping (I'm not always easy on my gear).

Aw heck, I'm going to place the order now!